Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1465066 times)

Jocelyn

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5175 on: December 22, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »
Oof. I had one of those. An employee of mine was splitting an office with an employee of another supervisor. Other Employee insisted upon eating cold cans of tuna fish (ick) in their shared office. My Employee asked him several times to desist, as ME was (and is!) a hard-core vegetarian, and the smell was penetrating, no  matter one's diet. OE refused to comply. His supervisor was uninterested in helping. I eventually had to request a new office for ME.

ME has moved on to a new, awesome position. OE was fired after issuing a number of death-threats against other employees.

Your ME was a bit of a snowflake, in my opinion, himself. He can be as hard-core as he wants, but he can't tell other people what to eat for lunch. As a boss, I'd not be impressed by, "I MUST have my own office! I can't stand the trauma of the tuna!"
I don't think it's flakey to expect an officemate not to create unpleasant odors in shared space. I once had a colleague who wore very heavy aftershave, and as another colleague noted, within 2 minutes of him coming into the office, I would start coughing (I have cough-variant asthma). I asked everyone in the office to please keep scents to a minimum, as they would trigger my asthma. I thought it was rather unkind of him to stand on his 'right' to wear as much cologne as he pleased, despite the request. One day he complained about my incessant coughing, and I told him flat out that I had not been coughing until he came in and I believed that the trigger was his cologne. His reply was, 'It can't be, I don't wear the same cologne every day.'
It seems to me that if someone is told that their actions are creating unpleasant working conditions for others, the only etiquette-approved response is to stop. ME in the example above was not dictating OE's lunch choice, he was asking for him not to eat smelly food in their shared office space. Surely there were other lunchroom options. Since OE was fired for making DEATH THREATS, I really can't conclude that his decision to continue to eat the smelly lunch in the shared office was not due to a lack of other options.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5176 on: December 22, 2013, 11:27:26 PM »
I like tuna, but smelling it does put me off.

And don't ever expect sympathy if you eat a durian in the office.

Syrse

« Reply #5177 on: December 23, 2013, 02:26:48 AM »
..... clocking in before going to change into his work outfit.....
Is this a mandatory work uniform or just clothing that he likes to work in?  Do you work in the US?
Where I work you are required to clock in before you change into your mandatory work uniform.  We were told that anything mandatory has to be paid time.    (We aren't allowed to wear our uniforms off company property.) 

I'm in the US.

We're supposed to clock in when we're ready to work, so that includes fully dressed. They don't care where we dress, but you're not allowed to be on the clock without the uniform. Mandatory uniform: Shirt, safety shoes and... apron? Wait that's not right. Morning brain!  :P

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5178 on: December 23, 2013, 02:43:45 AM »
Is this a mandatory work uniform or just clothing that he likes to work in?  Do you work in the US?
Where I work you are required to clock in before you change into your mandatory work uniform.  We were told that anything mandatory has to be paid time.    (We aren't allowed to wear our uniforms off company property.) 

I'm in the US.

We're supposed to clock in when we're ready to work, so that includes fully dressed. They don't care where we dress, but you're not allowed to be on the clock without the uniform. Mandatory uniform: Shirt, safety shoes and... apron? Wait that's not right. Morning brain!  :P

No pants required :P

Shalamar

« Reply #5179 on: December 23, 2013, 12:00:47 PM »
Speaking of cologne, when I first started my current job, I visited the ladies' room one day just as a co-worker was spraying perfume all over herself.   She was the kind of lady for whom one or two puffs wasn't enough - she had to empty half the bottle.  I have allergies and was not happy, but I didn't say anything.  She left, and another lady entered the bathroom - whereupon she stopped dead, glared at me, and said "Did YOU make that awful perfume-y stink?"  I said "No - I don't wear perfume."  Sneering, she said "What on earth do you mean, you 'don't wear perfume'?  EVERYONE wears perfume!"  I said honestly "Not me - I have allergies, plus my husband has no sense of smell, so I never bother."  I still don't think she believed me, though.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5180 on: December 23, 2013, 01:24:07 PM »
Oof. I had one of those. An employee of mine was splitting an office with an employee of another supervisor. Other Employee insisted upon eating cold cans of tuna fish (ick) in their shared office. My Employee asked him several times to desist, as ME was (and is!) a hard-core vegetarian, and the smell was penetrating, no  matter one's diet. OE refused to comply. His supervisor was uninterested in helping. I eventually had to request a new office for ME.

ME has moved on to a new, awesome position. OE was fired after issuing a number of death-threats against other employees.

Your ME was a bit of a snowflake, in my opinion, himself. He can be as hard-core as he wants, but he can't tell other people what to eat for lunch. As a boss, I'd not be impressed by, "I MUST have my own office! I can't stand the trauma of the tuna!"

I think it's reasonable to ask someone to bag the remains, at least. I had to do that when a coworker consistantly ate sardines for lunch and would leave the reeking tin sitting around. We could smell it out into the library.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5181 on: December 23, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »

Forget the trauma of the tuna, the SMELL of the tuna justifies the request, and ME being vegetarian is a bit of a red herring. It is a VERY strong smell, whatever your dietary preferences.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #5182 on: December 23, 2013, 01:55:50 PM »

Forget the trauma of the tuna, the SMELL of the tuna justifies the request, and ME being vegetarian is a bit of a red herring. It is a VERY strong smell, whatever your dietary preferences.

Seriously. I'm not vegetarian in the slightest, and I still have to leave the room when someone has tuna in any form.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5183 on: December 23, 2013, 02:55:09 PM »
Yeah, fish in the workplace can be a bit of a touchy subject. It has a very strong and distinct odor, and many people who have no objection to eating fish in general (and perhaps even like to eat it themselves) would not want to have the smell permeate their workspace on a regular basis.

I don't personally mind the smell of fish, but I work with a lot of people who do, and even I wouldn't be very tolerant of it if it was someone sitting in the desk next to mine eating it every day. It's one thing to have the smell of fish permeate the lunch room, and quite another when it's your office.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5184 on: December 23, 2013, 02:58:44 PM »
A passenger on Ryanair didn't want cheese and crackers. An employee had...something to say about this.

http://tinyurl.com/pxasoch

This is Ryanair, and I've heard terrible stories about them anyway.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #5185 on: December 23, 2013, 03:42:16 PM »
I don't remember the name of the woman, but over the weekend I saw a story on the news about a woman going to South Africa tweeting some stupid racist comment.  By the time she arrived in S.A., the tweet went viral.  Even deleting it and her profile didn't save her job.  Ironically, she works (or at least she used to work) in Public Relations.  :o
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #5186 on: December 23, 2013, 03:51:51 PM »
I don't remember the name of the woman, but over the weekend I saw a story on the news about a woman going to South Africa tweeting some stupid racist comment.  By the time she arrived in S.A., the tweet went viral.  Even deleting it and her profile didn't save her job.  Ironically, she works (or at least she used to work) in Public Relations.  :o

Justine Sacco

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #5187 on: December 23, 2013, 04:46:46 PM »

Seriously. I'm not vegetarian in the slightest, and I still have to leave the room when someone has tuna in any form.

I love tuna, and I still don't like the smell if I'm not the one eating it. :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Syrse

« Reply #5188 on: December 23, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »

I'm in the US.

No pants required :P

Gah! I told you I had morning brain  ;D

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #5189 on: December 23, 2013, 06:07:33 PM »

I love tuna, and I still don't like the smell if I'm not the one eating it. :P

I have seen people say this on here lots of times and I am really confused. I don't think canned Tuna smells much of anything. Please understand I have (according to my DH) the noes of a blood hound, so this really leaves me scratching my head.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer