Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1466996 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5280 on: January 30, 2014, 02:14:58 PM »
If you were a cafe owner, would you let a heavily pregnant woman have takeaway coffee in the empty outside area? She was told to leave, and it gets worse from there...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/cafe-gives-pregnant-woman-marching-orders-for-buying-takeaway-coffee/story-fni0cx4q-1226813856027

The waiter was being an idiot. People attract people, so having someone sitting in an external area that's empty would have attracted other people to the cafe. For 90cents, that customer might have brought in much more, aside from then goodwill it brings.

Maybe the store policy is idiotic, but if the customer didn't like it, she didn't have to dine there; she could have gotten her coffee somewhere that didn't have that policy.

It's not clear to me if that policy is stated anywhere in the venue. If it is, then I agree that the customer is in the wrong.
If it's not stated, then the cafe is being unreasonable, and handled it very, VERY badly.

It doesn't need to be out right stated. We can assume that they ask dine-in or take-out when they take the order because they charge different prices for them. That is enough to make it clear that take out doesn't mean dine in. Further, it is still not unreasonable to ask someone with take out to please not dine in.
Not necessarily.  In my state, takeout is charged sales tax, dine-in isn't.  They have to charge differently even if the base price of the food is identical.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5281 on: January 30, 2014, 02:21:50 PM »
If you were a cafe owner, would you let a heavily pregnant woman have takeaway coffee in the empty outside area? She was told to leave, and it gets worse from there...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/cafe-gives-pregnant-woman-marching-orders-for-buying-takeaway-coffee/story-fni0cx4q-1226813856027

The waiter was being an idiot. People attract people, so having someone sitting in an external area that's empty would have attracted other people to the cafe. For 90cents, that customer might have brought in much more, aside from then goodwill it brings.

Maybe the store policy is idiotic, but if the customer didn't like it, she didn't have to dine there; she could have gotten her coffee somewhere that didn't have that policy.

It's not clear to me if that policy is stated anywhere in the venue. If it is, then I agree that the customer is in the wrong.
If it's not stated, then the cafe is being unreasonable, and handled it very, VERY badly.

It doesn't need to be out right stated. We can assume that they ask dine-in or take-out when they take the order because they charge different prices for them. That is enough to make it clear that take out doesn't mean dine in. Further, it is still not unreasonable to ask someone with take out to please not dine in.
Not necessarily.  In my state, takeout is charged sales tax, dine-in isn't.  They have to charge differently even if the base price of the food is identical.

That's my point...because they charge differently, they most likely say, "Is this for dine in or take out?" when they take the person's order.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #5282 on: January 30, 2014, 02:23:23 PM »

It doesn't need to be out right stated. We can assume that they ask dine-in or take-out when they take the order because they charge different prices for them.  That is enough to make it clear that take out doesn't mean dine in. Further, it is still not unreasonable to ask someone with take out to please not dine in.

Not necessarily. I'd assume they asked because dine in got a glass and takeout a paper cup. So I might not even notice the price was different.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

MindsEye

« Reply #5283 on: January 30, 2014, 02:35:08 PM »

It doesn't need to be out right stated. We can assume that they ask dine-in or take-out when they take the order because they charge different prices for them.  That is enough to make it clear that take out doesn't mean dine in. Further, it is still not unreasonable to ask someone with take out to please not dine in.

Not necessarily. I'd assume they asked because dine in got a glass and takeout a paper cup. So I might not even notice the price was different.

POD

At my favorite coffee shop/deli they ask "take out or dine-in" because take out gets to-go cups and your food wrapped up in a bag, and dine-in gets you a real mug and your food on plates on a tray.  I have my favorite lunch combo that I always get... sometimes I dine in and sometimes I take out... and the price has never changed.  The packaging, yes.  The price, no.

So I wouldn't make any assumptions, and if the place has a firm policy on take-out vs dine-in then they need to state it somewhere.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5284 on: January 30, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
Thinking about it again, regardless of whether they ask and regardless of why they ask, it still isn't unreasonable to bring this to the attention of the patron verbally if it isn't posted anywhere.  "I'm sorry, but we have a policy about not allowing take-out orders to be consumed in the restaurant.  I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5285 on: January 30, 2014, 02:58:01 PM »
I think the cafe could have handled it better, maybe saying to her that they normally don't allow take away coffee to be consumed at the tables, giving her the opportunity to leave as her choice, not their orders.

Her complaining wasn't the most polite either, but I can understand her wanting to get off her feet. I'm almost 20 weeks and I have to get off my feet sometimes. And it can be the same for elderly people.

And they should have handled it better on FB, hacking is a piss poor excuse.

daen

« Reply #5286 on: January 30, 2014, 04:29:36 PM »

POD

At my favorite coffee shop/deli they ask "take out or dine-in" because take out gets to-go cups and your food wrapped up in a bag, and dine-in gets you a real mug and your food on plates on a tray.  I have my favorite lunch combo that I always get... sometimes I dine in and sometimes I take out... and the price has never changed.  The packaging, yes.  The price, no.

So I wouldn't make any assumptions, and if the place has a firm policy on take-out vs dine-in then they need to state it somewhere.

One restaurant I visited for meals as well as to pick up takeout coffee told me that they charged less for takeout. Dine-in coffee is bottomless, while takeout coffee is single-fill.  I'm not sure if cost of container came into it at all, because I always brought my travel mug when I got takeout.

Hillia

« Reply #5287 on: January 30, 2014, 06:33:53 PM »
As others  have said, I've never been charged more for dine in.  Glass vs plastic, bottomless drinks vs one trip are the only differences i've ever seen.  It would never occur to me that I couldn't eat my to-go order in the restaurant, and I've done it before (ok, usually at very casual places) when I realize I have more time than I thought, or someone called and wanted to join me.  It's not as if I'm bringing in my brown bag lunch to eat in their dining room; I paid for the food and the effort to prepare and hand it to me.  I'm not getting table service, so I'm not taking up a server's time.  The only additional cost to the restaurant would be wiping my table after I leave, and potentially bussing it if I don't (which I always do, but some people don't).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sara Crewe (previously Tia2)

« Reply #5288 on: January 30, 2014, 06:48:27 PM »
I'd heard (and I've never owned or worked in a cafe, so this could be an urban myth) that if tax is less on take out (as I think it is in the UK) and a tax inspector catches someone eating take out in the restaurant, they don't just charge tax on that item but rather assume that a large percentage of so called take out is actually eat in.  A multi-thousand pound tax bill usually follows.  If take out is charged as less because the additional tax isn't included, the cafe won't ever have collected that money from the customer and it could be enough to send them out of business.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5289 on: January 30, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »
No such thing in Oz. Most things are taxed with the exception of fresh food, and that's all worked out for you anyway.

And I don't think there's any such thing as a bottomless coffee here anymore. You pay by the cup.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #5290 on: January 30, 2014, 07:33:38 PM »
No such thing in Oz. Most things are taxed with the exception of fresh food, and that's all worked out for you anyway.

And I don't think there's any such thing as a bottomless coffee here anymore. You pay by the cup.

Yeah, here the difference between eat in and takeout is usually either zero or tiny. I had a hot chocolate yesterday, ten cents more than takeaway would have been because they have to bus and wash the mug. Other places I've been, takeout has been about ten cents more to encourage people not to use the throwaway cups (you also got a discount if you brought your own mug).
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5291 on: January 30, 2014, 07:37:57 PM »
And some places they give you paper cups by default unless you ask for ceramic.

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #5292 on: January 30, 2014, 11:00:12 PM »
Yeah, no tax difference here. You buy it, you bought it. And while most people would buy a take-away and take it away, it's not really considered bad manners to sit down and drink it in an outside area. Like I said, if the place is empty, then having someone sitting outside would attract other people to the cafe.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5293 on: January 30, 2014, 11:18:18 PM »
Yeah, no tax difference here. You buy it, you bought it. And while most people would buy a take-away and take it away, it's not really considered bad manners to sit down and drink it in an outside area. Like I said, if the place is empty, then having someone sitting outside would attract other people to the cafe.

That was what puzzled me.  A version of the story that I read said she had taken it to their outside eating area where there were no other customers at all.  Wouldn't that qualify as "carry out"?  She did carry it out!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5294 on: January 30, 2014, 11:20:41 PM »
Eating at a table outside still technically counts as eating in.