Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1373313 times)

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5295 on: January 30, 2014, 11:52:45 PM »
Given how rare it is in sydney for a different price to be charged, I think it's likely the lady didn't realise she was getting a cheaper rate.  I always get a takeaway cup because I prefer the taste!

Yes, once told, she had to leave, but I still think it was fine of her to make the point that kicking her out of an empty area seemed a bit mean.  Sure it was policy but she wasn't deliberately flouting it.  So I think her initial comment was fine - she gave feedback on her treatment as a customer and their policies.   Their response to her was appallingly, disgustingly rude.   Hacked or not, that is sure damaging to a business!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #5296 on: January 31, 2014, 12:57:35 AM »
Thinking about it again, regardless of whether they ask and regardless of why they ask, it still isn't unreasonable to bring this to the attention of the patron verbally if it isn't posted anywhere.  "I'm sorry, but we have a policy about not allowing take-out orders to be consumed in the restaurant.  I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

I do agree with you there.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #5297 on: January 31, 2014, 02:11:45 AM »
Thinking about it again, regardless of whether they ask and regardless of why they ask, it still isn't unreasonable to bring this to the attention of the patron verbally if it isn't posted anywhere.  "I'm sorry, but we have a policy about not allowing take-out orders to be consumed in the restaurant.  I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

I agree too.   But I also think it's ok for her to publicly say that she doesn't like the policy.   I really think the only rudeness was the disgusting Facebook reply to her.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5298 on: January 31, 2014, 05:48:02 AM »

I agree too.   But I also think it's ok for her to publicly say that she doesn't like the policy.   I really think the only rudeness was the disgusting Facebook reply to her.

I agree.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5299 on: January 31, 2014, 08:21:01 AM »

I agree.

Saying you think it's a bad policy is one thing. Being "totally disgusted" because precious you had to follow a policy? Meh. I don't think she was rude, but I do think she was being a SS.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5300 on: January 31, 2014, 10:44:41 AM »

Saying you think it's a bad policy is one thing. Being "totally disgusted" because precious you had to follow a policy? Meh. I don't think she was rude, but I do think she was being a SS.

I also agree with this.  This all could have been cleared with, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was a policy."
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5301 on: January 31, 2014, 10:48:18 AM »

I also agree with this.  This all could have been cleared with, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was a policy."

This is where I stand. I also think if it is not a posted policy, there should have been some latitude for a first time "offense".

I think the policy is illogical, but that is besides the point.

MissRose

« Reply #5302 on: January 31, 2014, 10:59:29 AM »
Lets get back to PD....

I found a clip on a local new site where a woman was fired for her facebook posts venting about her job.  I understand that most of us get frustrated from time to time with those we work with and deal with, but at the same time, we have to be mindful of what we choose to post and our privacy settings for social media.  Plus, I do not friend anyone that I work with on FB to keep professional and personal lives separate.

nuit93

« Reply #5303 on: January 31, 2014, 11:53:47 AM »
Lets get back to PD....

I found a clip on a local new site where a woman was fired for her facebook posts venting about her job.  I understand that most of us get frustrated from time to time with those we work with and deal with, but at the same time, we have to be mindful of what we choose to post and our privacy settings for social media.  Plus, I do not friend anyone that I work with on FB to keep professional and personal lives separate.

I don't either, unless I already knew them outside of work.  Even then I don't talk about my workplace on FB.

(that's what Livejournal is for!)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5304 on: January 31, 2014, 12:36:13 PM »
Lets get back to PD....

I don't either, unless I already knew them outside of work.  Even then I don't talk about my workplace on FB.

(that's what Livejournal is for!)

This is very important for my colleagues and me as we work for the state government, and because we work in prisons, we have to keep quite a few things confidential.  You would (or maybe wouldn't) be surprised by how many people just blab whatever they want about what we do and how we do it.  Apparently they don't remember signing things that say they will keep things confidential.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5305 on: January 31, 2014, 03:24:36 PM »
I live in an area where four of the top ten employers are subcontractors for the US Department of Defense or the US military.  Lots of research and engineering and so forth.  Not surprisingly, TONS of people have restrictions on what they can say about their job, anywhere from DH's "I can tell you what I'm programming but all the actual data has to stay in the secret lab" to a friend's husband's "I work in the defense industry and I can't tell you more than that."  Not terribly surprisingly, the people who want to brag about how hush-hush and top secret their jobs are tend to be the people who have absolutely nothing of importance to hide  ;D  My few friends who really *do* have top-secret jobs can't even acknowledge what they do.

anonever13

« Reply #5306 on: January 31, 2014, 03:28:56 PM »
Here's another Facebook war business story.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Bikini-barista-stand-faces-boycott-over-cyber-bullying---238811061.html

To sum it up, an employee (and owner's daughter) of a barista stand posted hateful remarks about a customer on Facebook because the customer was rude to her.  This prompted a reply from the customer's relative, and a resulting Facebook war. 

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5307 on: January 31, 2014, 11:00:28 PM »
I live in an area where four of the top ten employers are subcontractors for the US Department of Defense or the US military.  Lots of research and engineering and so forth.  Not surprisingly, TONS of people have restrictions on what they can say about their job, anywhere from DH's "I can tell you what I'm programming but all the actual data has to stay in the secret lab" to a friend's husband's "I work in the defense industry and I can't tell you more than that."  Not terribly surprisingly, the people who want to brag about how hush-hush and top secret their jobs are tend to be the people who have absolutely nothing of importance to hide  ;D  My few friends who really *do* have top-secret jobs can't even acknowledge what they do.

I have an great-uncle who was in the Secret Service.  He was actually in Reagan's protective detail at the time of the attempted assassination (but I'm sure it was a large detail, so I have no idea if he was actually close to him at the time).  His wife found out about his job... after he retired.  He wasn't allowed to tell even his wife what he did exactly until then.  I don't know if she knew that he worked for the SS but assumed that he worked in, like, counterfeit money, or if she thought he did something totally different, or what.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5308 on: January 31, 2014, 11:14:18 PM »

I have an great-uncle who was in the Secret Service.  He was actually in Reagan's protective detail at the time of the attempted assassination (but I'm sure it was a large detail, so I have no idea if he was actually close to him at the time).  His wife found out about his job... after he retired.  He wasn't allowed to tell even his wife what he did exactly until then.  I don't know if she knew that he worked for the SS but assumed that he worked in, like, counterfeit money, or if she thought he did something totally different, or what.

Up till 2003 the Secret Service was part of the Treasury, so he might have simply said he worked there.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Garden Goblin

« Reply #5309 on: February 01, 2014, 03:20:55 PM »
Yeah, no tax difference here. You buy it, you bought it. And while most people would buy a take-away and take it away, it's not really considered bad manners to sit down and drink it in an outside area. Like I said, if the place is empty, then having someone sitting outside would attract other people to the cafe.

Not to mention, she might be sitting for a few minutes, but get take-away because she knows she might have to leave before she finishes her drink.  What a silly policy - I wouldn't buy from a shop with that policy even if it were the only shop in town.

The ice cream store in town tried something slightly similar - disposable dishes for take-away vs real dishes dine in.  It wound up costing them more to do it that way than to just have disposable dishes for everyone.  So many people wouldn't be finished by the time they had to leave and get a to-go dish the store ended up wasting money instead of getting the savings they expected from the policy.  And that was before they counted up losses from people forgetting what they had in their hands and walking away with the real dishes & real silverware.

A new instructor at my son's Dojang (TaeKwonDo) just committed professional darwinism.  Apparently, he didn't want to work with the female students because they 'would never be serious about the sport so teaching them is a waste of time'.  He made this comment in front of the owner of the establishment and was out the door so fast I'm surprised he didn't actually bounce.