Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1283598 times)

Jocelyn

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5310 on: February 01, 2014, 04:32:58 PM »

It is their right to ask her to leave, and her being pregnant has absolutely nothing to do with it.  Her pregnancy is only being mentioned to garner sympathy for her.

Her being pregnant did, however, have everything to do with the insulting comment of 'get scrabbled, oh, you already have been.'

Suppose this were an 80 year old customer, who, on the way out, felt tired and wanted to sit a minute before walking on? Or perhaps if it were a diabetic customer who had stopped in to buy a drink because their blood glucose was dropping, and realized as they were leaving that it was dropping too quickly for them to safely walk on sipping the drink, as they'd planned? I'd think that the store would do better to instruct waiters to say, 'Are you feeling all right? We noticed that you bought a to-go cup, but didn't leave.'

Personally, I would have thought that the additional 90 cents was to cover the cost of a waiter coming to me to take my order and serve me my drink, and the costs of the busboy and the washing of the cup. It wouldn't necessarily occur to me that if I went indoors to order the drink, and carried it away myself, that I was being a special snowflake for sitting in a non-busy outdoor seating area. No more than it occurs to me that in a restaurant when 2/3rds of the table are empty, that I'm ripping them off by staying at my table, sipping my drink as I read to the end of the chapter.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:45:25 PM by Jocelyn »

Reika

« Reply #5311 on: February 01, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »
A new instructor at my son's Dojang (TaeKwonDo) just committed professional darwinism.  Apparently, he didn't want to work with the female students because they 'would never be serious about the sport so teaching them is a waste of time'.  He made this comment in front of the owner of the establishment and was out the door so fast I'm surprised he didn't actually bounce.

What the heck? When I was still taking Tae Kwon Do classes, my master made sure the women weren't being neglected because he wanted to make sure we could protect ourselves. Which involved some interesting matchups for sparring. Like my barely 5'3" self matched up to the guy who was well over a foot taller.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5312 on: February 01, 2014, 04:40:43 PM »
Take out the busboy and you got that right, I've never seen them here. We just have waitstaff doing everything.

Her bring pregnant is a reason to maybe let her sit down, it's called common courtesy. Sometimes you just need to get off your feet.

And I have to say that I disagree with the different prices for eat in and take away. If I eat in, I might even spending more money than if I wasn't.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5313 on: February 02, 2014, 01:06:41 PM »
When I was in college, I remember almost everybody asked for their fast food order to-go even when they were eating in (including myself).  It was just so much easier to have the bag and be able to stuff your trash in and drop the bag in the trash can on the way out, then to try to balance the tray and get the stuff to slide off it.  It also made the meal more versatile if you decided to go eat outside, or if you didn't quite finish your meal and wanted to take it with you. 

I have no idea whether the charge or tax was different for getting to-go, though.  I don't think any of us would have thought of that.  The student union/cafeteria/nearby fast food restaurants never said anything, though. 

I'd do the same now, because we almost always have a few chicken nuggets left over, except that I could never carry 4-5 drinks by myself without a tray, especially as you don't get lids for the little water cups (I get those for the kids).  Hmm, I wonder if fast food restaurants will let you bring a sippy cup or water bottle and fill it with water from the machine.  Anybody know?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5314 on: February 02, 2014, 04:46:02 PM »
Hmm, I wonder if fast food restaurants will let you bring a sippy cup or water bottle and fill it with water from the machine.  Anybody know?
It's one of those 'can't hurt to ask' things.  I believe that in some places health laws prohibit reusing containers, even things like sippy cups that are clearly intended for reuse.  I've been told that at Starbucks when I asked them to use my own insulated cup for my chai.  I could take the drink in the paper cup and pour it into my own cup, but THEY couldn't do it, because somehow that might contaminate their working environment.   (Or maybe it's a CYA move on Starbuck's part.  If you got sick from a drink poured into a dirty cup, they might be found liable.)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5315 on: February 02, 2014, 05:09:14 PM »
I don't think they'll let you use the sippy cup on the machine because of health regulations.  You could always use their cup to pour into it, though.  And then you'd only need one disposable cup for all the kids using the sippys.

Tim Horton's here in Canada will let you use your own mug but the difference is that their coffee is all in carafes and you aren't using a machine.  They just have to pour into the cup.  If the mug was visibly dirty, they might refuse.  But about the only time I stop to get something is during 'roll up the rim to win' and they give you an empty cup to roll, anyway, if you use your own mug.  So in that case, I might as well use their cup.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5316 on: February 02, 2014, 06:06:08 PM »
And I have to say that I disagree with the different prices for eat in and take away. If I eat in, I might even spending more money than if I wasn't.

I understand that, in some locales, this may be something to do with state & local laws - so it may not be up to the restaurant about whether the prices are different or the tax rates change for eat-in, take-out, or delivery.  Being a legal matter does remove it from consideration under etiquette rules.  Although it does NOT stop it from being annoying...

But if an elderly person, a pregnant-appearing woman (have not seen any pregnant men, sorry to sound sexist), or someone who *might* have had a dizzy spell (low blood pressure, low blood sugar, or inner ear issues are MEDICAL issues not etiquette issues - although it is easier to get your medical pass if you play your medical "card" instead of just griping at people because you needed to sit down for "just a minute" - simple explanations instead of complete medical history are faster to say and don't need to be expanded unless medical personnel are asking the questions) needs to sit down - then they need to sit down.

If they need medical attention - then that again changes the situation from "etiquette" to a whole other ball field...

But it does look as if the "legal" issue with the take away/eat in got scrambled with the "medical" issue with a pregnant woman needing to get off her feet for a few minutes and the mixture proved explosive, especially when posted on the internet....
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:33:12 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5317 on: February 02, 2014, 06:38:11 PM »
This wasn't a legal thing to do with tax in Australia, as I explained up thread. The only difference in price between a take away coffee and a eat in one is the ceramic cup has to be washed.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5318 on: February 02, 2014, 08:08:20 PM »
Hmm, I wonder if fast food restaurants will let you bring a sippy cup or water bottle and fill it with water from the machine.  Anybody know?
It's one of those 'can't hurt to ask' things.  I believe that in some places health laws prohibit reusing containers, even things like sippy cups that are clearly intended for reuse.  I've been told that at Starbucks when I asked them to use my own insulated cup for my chai.  I could take the drink in the paper cup and pour it into my own cup, but THEY couldn't do it, because somehow that might contaminate their working environment.   (Or maybe it's a CYA move on Starbuck's part.  If you got sick from a drink poured into a dirty cup, they might be found liable.)

the starbucks here in Baltimore and DC allow you to use your own cup when you order

Minmom3

« Reply #5319 on: February 02, 2014, 09:18:57 PM »

I wonder if that varies state to state.  Here in California, I've had no resistance from Starbucks about taking my thermal cup and putting my drink in it.  They won't take the lid, and they'll rinse out my cup first, but they (several locations in various cities, all in CA) have always cheerfully used my own cup.  I hardly ever get any of their teas, because I can't stand the taste of the paper cup and the wood stirrer for the tea.  I don't mind paper for hot chocolate, but I really dislike the tea in the paper cups, and I rarely remember to bring my own cup with me when I leave home...
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5320 on: February 02, 2014, 09:38:44 PM »
I've been to several places where they encourage patrons to bring their own reusable cup by giving them a discount when they do.  This is to discourage waste in the landfills.  So this leads me to believe the health laws regarding cups depend on where you are.

Bellantara

• Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
« Reply #5321 on: February 02, 2014, 10:48:38 PM »
Can we please get back to the PD stories?

otterwoman

« Reply #5322 on: February 03, 2014, 09:21:02 AM »
Yes, sometimes you want to look for a new job while still at your current job. However, showing up at a job interview while wearing you current employer's uniform and DRIVING THE CURRENT EMPLOYER'S TRUCK WITH LOGO is not a good idea. Even worse, the person who interviewed you is friends with your current boss.

Not only did he not get the job he applied for, he got fired from the one he had.

SoCalVal

« Reply #5323 on: February 04, 2014, 03:09:24 PM »
Blatantly falsifying one's time card is an immediate PD action.  Putting in that one worked 10 hours when the hours scheduled and the hours of operation don't support it is stupendously PD.   :o

Arrrrggggh!

Years ago, I worked for a company where there were two employees who would routinely clock in at the beginning of our shift, disappear all day then return to clock out at the end of the shift.  I was new to the department so I just figured they were working elsewhere in one of the two buildings the company occupied.  Nope.  I was told, after they were fired, that they were clocking in, leaving for the day to go shopping or just to return home then returning to clock out.  They got away with it for months because the sister of one of the two employees was assistant manager of the department.  The AM was another "lovely" person because she had an automatic hatred for employees who transferred from one area of the company, which is where I transferred from.  She did her best during my interview to have me protest to what she was stating, but I really wanted out of the other area so I had no problem with what she was telling me, stuff like "you won't get weekends off for months" (I thought she meant regular weekends; I didn't know she meant any weekends ever) and "there's only one way out of this department so, if you mess up, you don't get to go back to old dept, you get terminated from the company).

Anyway, the two absent employees finally got caught, I think, because the AM went on leave of absence.  During that leave, management terminated the two employees.  The day the AM returned from her LoA, she also got terminated (I was thrilled; I really couldn't stand her as she was always nasty to me).

SoCalVal

« Reply #5324 on: February 04, 2014, 03:18:39 PM »
Blatantly falsifying one's time card is an immediate PD action.  Putting in that one worked 10 hours when the hours scheduled and the hours of operation don't support it is stupendously PD.   :o

Arrrrggggh!

I had a former CW who would get to work an hour or two before her shift, clock in, then go do something else until her shift started.

I had one of these, too -- same company I just mentioned.  She'd clock in early/on-time, then go to the restroom to go get herself all acceptable after having walked from the bus stop two blocks.  The employees or one of the other supervisors mentioned it to me (I was a supervisor at the time) so I mentioned it to our manager as it was really unfair to the night shift employees to get stuck on phone calls because another employee decided she had to primp before sitting down to her call center job where only other employees could see her.  She didn't get fired, but she did get called out on what she was doing and told to either get to work earlier, don't clock in until she was ready to work or catch a ride with the other supervisor so she could arrive earlier (the one who told me what she was doing was also her housemate).  She was spending about 5-10 minutes on the clock preening in the restroom.

I worked for a crazy company -- the craziest, I think, of all places I've ever worked.  I have hopes that it'll go belly-up in some glorious fashion one day (I really learned to hate the place by the time I resigned; fortunately, I left on my own terms, and good terms, so they could never, legally, bad-mouth me during reference checks -- upper management was the most corrupt of all).