Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1371033 times)

faithlessone

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5325 on: February 04, 2014, 04:19:17 PM »
I work in the office of a building contractor. We employ several builders, all of whom have company vans with trackers in. They're all aware of the trackers, but obviously this one's a bit forgetful!!! This happened a few months ago.

Let's call him Nick. On his timesheet, Nick had been claiming a little overtime every day for three months. No more than 30 minutes/1 hour per day. Fair enough, almost all of the builders work a few hours overtime per month (they can trade it in for extra holiday).

About a month before Christmas, the office manager called around to check who was taking holiday when. Nick cashed in his overtime for an extra three days off. Office manager tells the contract manager that Nick will be taking this holiday.

Contract manager: "Seriously? He's still got holiday allowance left?"
Office manager: "Well, no, but he's traded his overtime."
Contract manager: "What overtime?"

Yup. We checked his tracker, and he had been leaving site promptly at 4:30pm (their "end of day") every single day. Apparently he thought if he only claimed a little bit extra, we wouldn't notice!!!

Fortunately for him, our boss is a lovely man, and it was the month before Christmas, so all the punishment Nick got was a severe lecture, no Christmas bonus, no extra holiday, and his December paycheque docked by the amount of overtime he had already paid him. Next strike and he is out, though.

melicious

« Reply #5326 on: February 04, 2014, 04:40:43 PM »
Mr 16Years rather put his foot in it.

He's often on his phone during meetings (I don't mean, he's talking on it, I mean he's typing on it, like he's messaging someone).

A couple of weeks ago, during a meeting of the team, he was once again fiddling on his phone instead of paying attention. Senior (whom he absolutely loathes) watched him for 10 solid minutes and he never once looked up from his phone. So she flat out said "Please put away your phone and pay attention". He put the phone away, but he was staring daggers at her for the rest of the meeting.

Right after that meeting was another meeting that they were both in. Senior arrived a little late and upon arriving, opened up her laptop to retrieve the template for a certain type of document, so that she could compare the document up for review with the template to make sure it matched. Mr 16Years saw her open her laptop and immediately announced in a snotty tone "Please put away your laptop and pay attention". Senior looked him right in the eye and gave him a verbal smackdown of note.

After that meeting, Senior dropped by the HR office to let them know that there might be another complaint coming their way about hostile work environment or some such from Mr 16Years. The head of HR just looked gobsmacked, as Mr 16Years had not 5 minutes before going to the first meeting, been in a meeting with HR about his excessive phone usage during meetings. I guess he was on his phone texting his lawyer about suing the company.

Mr 16Years was in a sullen rage for the rest of the day, and is still sulking days later.
Geez, how is he still working there? Are you sure Mr16Years isn't 16 years old? Although that may be an insult to 16 year olds, who are actually MORE mature than this guy seems to be!

Shalamar

« Reply #5327 on: February 04, 2014, 05:40:28 PM »
My daughter's 19-year-old friend tweeted the other day "Geez, I have to work in an hour and I'm still drunk."  I found out later that he got an hour-long lecture from his boss.  I can't help but think that the two are connected.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5328 on: February 04, 2014, 06:30:16 PM »
So, this lady where my mom works... she's on call. they call her in, and she never shows. If she's scheduled to work in advance, she no call no shows... I really have NO idea how this person is still employed...

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #5329 on: February 05, 2014, 09:13:07 AM »
Mr16 Years may just have cooked his own goose.

We had a team meeting. Mr16 later went to boss of OtherTeam, claiming OurBoss said a slew of horrible things about OtherBoss and OtherTeam in the meeting. If he was trying to stir up resentment against OurTeam and OurBoss, it just backfired big time.

OtherBoss lodged a complaint against OurBoss (on the basis of what was supposedly said in the meeting). OurBoss denied it all and asked some of us to write statements clarifying what was said in the meeting.

These claims couldn't have been less believable if Mr16 had claimed OurBoss said he hated OtherBoss's pet unicorn and hoped it died of glittermange, it was that bizarre a set of claims to make. And in front of a room full of witnesses to counter the claims.

Now it's in writing with HR, it should get interesting.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:14:59 AM by WolfWay »
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5330 on: February 05, 2014, 12:56:44 PM »

We had a team meeting. Mr16 later went to boss of OtherTeam, claiming OurBoss said a slew of horrible things about OtherBoss and OtherTeam in the meeting. If he was trying to stir up resentment against OurTeam and OurBoss, it just backfired big time.

OtherBoss lodged a complaint against OurBoss (on the basis of what was supposedly said in the meeting). OurBoss denied it all and asked some of us to write statements clarifying what was said in the meeting.

These claims couldn't have been less believable if Mr16 had claimed OurBoss said he hated OtherBoss's pet unicorn and hoped it died of glittermange, it was that bizarre a set of claims to make. And in front of a room full of witnesses to counter the claims.

My goodness, I have popcorn.  Will there be fireworks as well?  I can bring the wine :D

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5331 on: February 05, 2014, 02:42:41 PM »

My goodness, I have popcorn.  Will there be fireworks as well?  I can bring the wine :D

I'll bring beer & pizza.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

sevenday

« Reply #5332 on: February 05, 2014, 03:52:16 PM »
I'll bring the cupcakes!

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5333 on: February 05, 2014, 03:53:41 PM »
Can we please not turn this thread into an "I'll bring X" thing? And just get back to the professional Darwin stories?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5334 on: February 05, 2014, 04:05:33 PM »
Come on, that only went on for two posts, not two pages. I hardly see what happened above as a problem.

The best way to move a thread on is the post your own story. Like the one I heard recently about the au pair who was employed to look after children and a little housework but as soon as she moved in refused to do anything and left a four year old unsupervised in a pool while the mother was away with his sister.

Tia2

« Reply #5335 on: February 05, 2014, 06:33:20 PM »

This sounds like professional Darwinism on the part of OtherBoss as well - believing random accusations from a known problem employee and lodging a complaint based on those accusations without even speaking to the person the allegations are about doesn't exactly give your employers a good impression of your judgement or common sense!

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #5336 on: February 05, 2014, 06:35:29 PM »
Come on, that only went on for two posts, not two pages. I hardly see what happened above as a problem.

The best way to move a thread on is the post your own story. Like the one I heard recently about the au pair who was employed to look after children and a little housework but as soon as she moved in refused to do anything and left a four year old unsupervised in a pool while the mother was away with his sister.

Yikes! That's not only grounds for dismissal, but criminal prosecution too!

Do you know the fall-out? (Professional curiosity, I was a nanny.)
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5337 on: February 05, 2014, 06:55:26 PM »
Surprisingly, she wasn't out on her ear after that. If that had been me I probably would have had to be restrained.

Other things included going out all day and not being home when her employer wanted her. Going out drinking at night, coming back late and not getting out of bed until after ten am. And she stole alcohol from her employer.o

The woman who employs her though is nice to a fault, after addressing numerous times how she wasn't fulfilling the terms of the agrees contract, her employer said it wasn't going to work out and the girl would have to leave. The girl burst into tears, saying she had no idea that the work would be so hard and she wasn't used to it.

Following that was about a week when the girl made herself scarce while she looked for a youth hostel. When she finally found one, she did not return to get her stuff or even speak to her employer. Her employer then packed up her stuff and dumped it at the hostel.

The girl also left a rude note in Finnish in her room complaining about everything in terrible language (girl is on a working holiday from Finland). I suggested scanning the note and sending it to the girl's mother, she has her email address.

Her terms of employment? Free room and board with petrol and phone covered plus $200 a week. This was in exchange for child care while the mother watchers a lot of the time, a few chores including fixing dinner. One night she refused to fix dinner, telling the kids to fix it themselves or get an apple.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5338 on: February 05, 2014, 08:42:56 PM »
Surprisingly, she wasn't out on her ear after that. If that had been me I probably would have had to be restrained.

Other things included going out all day and not being home when her employer wanted her. Going out drinking at night, coming back late and not getting out of bed until after ten am. And she stole alcohol from her employer.o

The woman who employs her though is nice to a fault, after addressing numerous times how she wasn't fulfilling the terms of the agrees contract, her employer said it wasn't going to work out and the girl would have to leave. The girl burst into tears, saying she had no idea that the work would be so hard and she wasn't used to it.

Following that was about a week when the girl made herself scarce while she looked for a youth hostel. When she finally found one, she did not return to get her stuff or even speak to her employer. Her employer then packed up her stuff and dumped it at the hostel.

The girl also left a rude note in Finnish in her room complaining about everything in terrible language (girl is on a working holiday from Finland). I suggested scanning the note and sending it to the girl's mother, she has her email address.

Her terms of employment? Free room and board with petrol and phone covered plus $200 a week. This was in exchange for child care while the mother watchers a lot of the time, a few chores including fixing dinner. One night she refused to fix dinner, telling the kids to fix it themselves or get an apple.

I... what? She refused to feed the children in her care?!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5339 on: February 05, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »
Yep. And the oldest is the four year old boy. The other is a six month old baby, I think.

The employer thinks that the girl was a bit spoilt and saw it as a way to get paid for being on holiday. She didn't seem remotely interested in the children.