Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1368275 times)

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5355 on: February 06, 2014, 08:40:39 AM »
Remember the au pair? Apparently texted her former employer demanding $600 as she had no Warnign about being fired.

The employer has since had the Finnish note translated. It contained some rather not nice worlds about the e players children was well as the girls intent to do nothing all while she enjoyed a holiday.
I do hope the mother isn't so 'nice' that she takes pity on her, and that if the girl wants to engage the legal system, she will be responding with child endangerment reports. I really doubt it's illegal to fire a nanny without notice if she's endangering your children.

POD
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

eltf177

« Reply #5356 on: February 06, 2014, 12:13:50 PM »
Remember the au pair? Apparently texted her former employer demanding $600 as she had no Warnign about being fired.

The employer has since had the Finnish note translated. It contained some rather not nice worlds about the e players children was well as the girls intent to do nothing all while she enjoyed a holiday.

What company/program did they use? I think someone there needs to see a copy of that note.

100% agreed. Send this letter to whoever hired this person, the agency needs to be aware of this situation...

Shalamar

« Reply #5357 on: February 06, 2014, 12:22:11 PM »
I do hope the mother isn't so 'nice' that she takes pity on her, and that if the girl wants to engage the legal system, she will be responding with child endangerment reports.

Same here.  I'll take pretty much any amount of abuse directed at me, because I'm a bit of a wuss, but you do NOT harm my kids.

(Case in point was when I found out that my housekeeper stole $160 from my then-8-year-old daughter's room.  If she'd stolen from ME, I might have let it go - she was a really good housekeeper!)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5358 on: February 06, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »

I do hope the mother isn't so 'nice' that she takes pity on her, and that if the girl wants to engage the legal system, she will be responding with child endangerment reports. I really doubt it's illegal to fire a nanny without notice if she's endangering your children.
The mother sent a rather terse text message back and she is advising the agency of what happened. I doubt the girl is going to go into the legal aspects, she's on a working holiday and mentioned to the mother about travelling further.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #5359 on: February 06, 2014, 07:41:11 PM »
Reply from over the ditch.  If it happened here, then the agency can get the visa revoked.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5360 on: February 06, 2014, 09:17:05 PM »
Indeed the au pair agency is not going to be happy.  They have a reputation to protect and young women like this one aren't doing their business any good, for sure!!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5361 on: February 06, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »
She is letting the agency know what happened and is changing the locks as the au pair still has the key. The agency she uses seems to be more of an intermediary as the negotiations were done between herself, the girl  and her parents.

MissRose

« Reply #5362 on: February 13, 2014, 09:13:01 AM »
Had to deal with a few SS / potential PD yesterday in the office.  We had some issues that caused call volume to spike a great deal then the issue was resolved within a hour.  Of course that did not stop some people from:

*Talking to their fellow co-workers around them instead of taking calls to help clear the queues faster

*One person who just had to walk to the large window facing the parking lot to remote start his car 15 minutes before the end of his shift.  There was no reason why he could not have waited till 5 minutes before the end of his shift to do so (like it would make much difference anyways for his car).

*A few whining that they could not go to lunch immediately or work their special projects as the higher manager said none of those until the queues were under control.  Most people I work with I believe can wait an extra 30 minutes to eat lunch unless they are on a special diet or have a doctor's note on record that they must eat at an exact time every day (my opinion only)

melicious

« Reply #5363 on: February 13, 2014, 12:54:18 PM »
*A few whining that they could not go to lunch immediately or work their special projects as the higher manager said none of those until the queues were under control.  Most people I work with I believe can wait an extra 30 minutes to eat lunch unless they are on a special diet or have a doctor's note on record that they must eat at an exact time every day (my opinion only)

I don't know if I see that as PD. If it was a once in a while thing, fine, but I wouldn't want repeated delays of my lunch break, because that's what employees are entitled to. At my previous job, I had to practically beg for my break sometimes and I didn't appreciate it. I didn't have a special diet/medical condition, but as a human being, my blood sugar does drop sometimes, so some fuel was needed so I could do my job properly.

MissRose

« Reply #5364 on: February 13, 2014, 02:09:02 PM »

I don't know if I see that as PD. If it was a once in a while thing, fine, but I wouldn't want repeated delays of my lunch break, because that's what employees are entitled to. At my previous job, I had to practically beg for my break sometimes and I didn't appreciate it. I didn't have a special diet/medical condition, but as a human being, my blood sugar does drop sometimes, so some fuel was needed so I could do my job properly.

The delays seldom happen here, and I am sure those who have legit issues that must eat at a certain time can ask privately their supervisor.  It is not like the issues happen every day, large scale things happen rarely.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #5365 on: February 13, 2014, 02:10:32 PM »

Disclaimer: All yous are general.

In a customer service job, I do see it as PD.  Yes, I don't want to have to beg for my break - I once had to threaten that if someone didn't come relieve me for my hour late lunch, I was going to just walk back and leave the registers unmanned.  Should have seen the way a manager flew up to the register like he was accio-ed.  ;D  When I worked a full week at that job - 5 to 6 days, depending on need - at least half of my shifts had me taking my lunch 30 minutes late.  What I got in return for leaving 30 minutes late to my lunch, either due to line or that my co-workers were unhelpful*, were regular times of being allowed to leave early or have my lunch bought one time during the week.  They didn't have to do it because I considered working through the queue as part of my job, even if I didn't have breakfast that morning and the only thing I had for the day was a big cup of coffee.  Other people can't do that, but as long as I have liquid nearby, I'm usually not hungry.

There's another side to this in the managers' mind too.  If there's a line of 3 or more people, you stay and you help to finish that line so the manager doesn't have to deal with unhappy customers.  It doesn't matter if that line is in person or on the phone, you stay and you help out your coworkers finish that line.  Also, the managers are going to remember who whined and who just kept their head down and did their work.  Mine did and I bet Rose's manager saw it as well.

*I worked at a Borders from fall 2006 to summer 2008.  It was usually myself, two floor people (one down, one up), two managers, and anywhere from 4 to 6 stock people.  When we got busy, the stock people were supposed to stop unless they were directly helping another customer and head up to register when they heard someone call for it.  Of the entire time I was there, most of my lunches were late due to none of the stock people willing to come up to register or the floor person moving to register for 1 hour so a stock person could do floor and stock.  And no, the stock people weren't helping other customers but just stocking.  When my hours to just Saturdays/Sundays with on call during the week and my coworkers continued to treat me in such a manner but made it 45 minutes late for a lunch is when I got the heck out of dodge.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

melicious

« Reply #5366 on: February 13, 2014, 02:22:03 PM »

There's another side to this in the managers' mind too.  If there's a line of 3 or more people, you stay and you help to finish that line so the manager doesn't have to deal with unhappy customers.  It doesn't matter if that line is in person or on the phone, you stay and you help out your coworkers finish that line.  Also, the managers are going to remember who whined and who just kept their head down and did their work.  Mine did and I bet Rose's manager saw it as well.

I completely understand that part. I've worked customer service myself for many years, and I wouldn't just cut off a customer for my break.

But when it happens too frequently or I'm working five hours and have yet to have a break, that's when I have a problem. I don't see how getting a break is "whining" vs. "putting your head down and doing your work" - I see it as getting the break you're entitled to. Yes, you're there to work, but you're also a human being who should be treated as such, not just a worker bee. For me to "put my head down and do my work" is to "not to complain about not getting a lunch at a decent time so I won't get fired."

I don't see how asking for a lunch break is "whining" or on the level of PD. I thought PD was doing stupid, unprofessional gaffes - not asking for a break. Again, I wouldn't have cut off a customer in order to get my break, and I wouldn't mind if my break was delayed once in a while, but there are limits to being a "good employee", and I don't think asking for the break you deserve violates that. If managers want functioning employees, a break is far from asking too much.

IMO, PD would be asking for a break too early, taking a two hour lunch instead of a half-hour, or going for a break and not coming back.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5367 on: February 13, 2014, 02:30:37 PM »
I think this starts to get into "unwarranted demands for loyalty," when employers expect workers to forgo benefits they are entitled to receive, such as breaks, because the employer has (deliberately or accidentally) not provided enough staffing.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

melicious

« Reply #5368 on: February 13, 2014, 03:22:21 PM »
I think this starts to get into "unwarranted demands for loyalty," when employers expect workers to forgo benefits they are entitled to receive, such as breaks, because the employer has (deliberately or accidentally) not provided enough staffing.

And sometimes they'd clean forget. "What? You haven't taken your break yet? Go, go!" so I couldn't imagine what would happen if I hadn't asked.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #5369 on: February 13, 2014, 03:53:59 PM »

I completely understand that part. I've worked customer service myself for many years, and I wouldn't just cut off a customer for my break.

But when it happens too frequently or I'm working five hours and have yet to have a break, that's when I have a problem. I don't see how getting a break is "whining" vs. "putting your head down and doing your work" - I see it as getting the break you're entitled to. Yes, you're there to work, but you're also a human being who should be treated as such, not just a worker bee. For me to "put my head down and do my work" is to "not to complain about not getting a lunch at a decent time so I won't get fired."

I don't see how asking for a lunch break is "whining" or on the level of PD. I thought PD was doing stupid, unprofessional gaffes - not asking for a break. Again, I wouldn't have cut off a customer in order to get my break, and I wouldn't mind if my break was delayed once in a while, but there are limits to being a "good employee", and I don't think asking for the break you deserve violates that. If managers want functioning employees, a break is far from asking too much.

IMO, PD would be asking for a break too early, taking a two hour lunch instead of a half-hour, or going for a break and not coming back.

And I see it as PD to "whine" for your break when there's a long line of customers in the queue.  And I used to get in at 9 and take a break as late as 2 because we were just so busy that I couldn't until then.  However, that was one time during the year from Thanksgiving to Christmas and everyone knew that you were going to be going on break late and leaving late.  It was just that busy.  MissRose said that this was an abnormal busy time, so yes, sucking it up when it happens is what you do.  Whining about it is PD in my eyes and would have been in the eyes of the managers that I worked under. 

It really might just be a case of different strokes, different folks going on here.  :)

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.