Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1291342 times)

Amara

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5400 on: February 18, 2014, 02:22:34 PM »
Holy cow! People really do these things?!! I am ... beyond gobsmacked. I mean we all have to learn how to act in an interview, but I can hardly believe these really happened (though I know they did).

· Applicant warned the interviewer that she “took too much valium” and didn’t think her interview was indicative of her personality

· Applicant acted out a Star Trek role

· Applicant answered a phone call for an interview with a competitor

· Applicant arrived in a jogging suit because he was going running after the interview

· Applicant asked for a hug

· Applicant attempted to secretly record the interview

· Applicant brought personal photo albums

· Applicant called himself his own personal hero

· Applicant checked Facebook during the interview

· Applicant crashed her car into the building

· Applicant popped out his teeth when discussing dental benefits

· Applicant kept her iPod headphones on during the interview

· Applicant set fire to the interviewer’s newspaper while reading it when the interviewer said “impress me”

· Applicant said that he questioned his daughter’s paternity

· Applicant wanted to know the name and phone number of the receptionist because he really liked her

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5401 on: February 18, 2014, 03:04:33 PM »
I've done the personal photo albums thing.  :D  I was applying to work in a cake decorating shop and I brought photos of the cakes I'd made.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Garden Goblin

« Reply #5402 on: February 18, 2014, 03:21:59 PM »
With the 'car into building' one I'd need more context to really blame the applicant for that.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5403 on: February 18, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »
OutdoorGirl,

that would only be a problem if your album included cakes you ate when you were a kid, or more shots of the people at the party than the cake you made/decorated.

yours was prolly more of an art portfolio. 

did you get the job at the time?

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Jones

« Reply #5404 on: February 18, 2014, 03:30:37 PM »
Depending on the position, and as it is possible she'd been burned before, I don't know if I blame the interview recorder either.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5405 on: February 18, 2014, 04:13:14 PM »
I've done the personal photo albums thing.  :D  I was applying to work in a cake decorating shop and I brought photos of the cakes I'd made.
But that makes it a portfolio, not a personal photo album.  You showed them pictures of your cakes, not your cats or your kids playing in the sandbox or your new car.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

LazyDaisy

« Reply #5406 on: February 18, 2014, 04:36:27 PM »
I bet the "Applicant called himself his own personal hero" one probably read that somewhere on a job advice site and thought it would show confidence in himself. Depends on how the applicant was able to back that up with some impressive reasons why.

Slight aside, that completely reminded me of the scene in Willow (yes, I know, random thought) where the master wizard is looking for an apprentice and tells each candidate to "choose a finger" and holds out his hand. Each candidate, including Willow, chooses one of the wizard's fingers and is rejected. Later in the movie the right answer turns out to be Willow's own finger. The idea being that a true wizard needs to believe in himself.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Shalamar

« Reply #5407 on: February 18, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »
Those interview stories are reminding me a bit of the episode of Undercover Boss that my daughter just watched.  The boss in question ran Johnny Rockets.  On his first day undercover, one of his employees told him that he'd been in prison for killing his daughter's murderer.  :o

I mean, I'm terribly sorry for the poor man, but YIKES.  Who the heck tells something like that to someone they barely know?

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #5408 on: February 18, 2014, 05:11:35 PM »
Those interview stories are reminding me a bit of the episode of Undercover Boss that my daughter just watched.  The boss in question ran Johnny Rockets.  On his first day undercover, one of his employees told him that he'd been in prison for killing his daughter's murderer.  :o

I mean, I'm terribly sorry for the poor man, but YIKES.  Who the heck tells something like that to someone they barely know?
This wouldn't faze me in the slightest. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5409 on: February 18, 2014, 07:46:39 PM »
OutdoorGirl,

that would only be a problem if your album included cakes you ate when you were a kid, or more shots of the people at the party than the cake you made/decorated.

yours was prolly more of an art portfolio. 

did you get the job at the time?

I didn't.  I was looking for very part time work and couldn't give them as many hours as they wanted.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

HorseFreak

« Reply #5410 on: February 18, 2014, 08:31:09 PM »
My employer is looking to hire for a technical position and a receptionist position that requires a little bit of comfort with the technical part of our business (the upper level staff can't triage every phone call for the support staff so some knowledge in this area is needed). Against my advice they placed the ads on Craigslist and started getting responses you get when you look for educated help on Craigslist:

- Woman walks in with her bored daughter, talks extremely softly and is hard to understand and asks about the receptionist position. She asks for an application despite our ad specifically saying to have a resume ready. When asked for a resume she tells us her printer is broken and looks at us expectantly. Her expression is that of someone doing a hard math problem when asked if she could email it.

- A man calls saying he worked for a similar company in the receptionist role, but would like to apply for the technical position. I ask him what his experience is and it's the equivalent of a cashier at Walmart saying he wants to be a commercial truck driver because he sometimes drives his mom's pickup truck. I ask for his details and tell him we'll call if we're interested. I write a note for the hiring manager with a big "NO!" next to it.

All sorts of other people are cold calling with no phone manners, no resume and no clue. I told the manager to rewrite the ad removing our phone number and address and saying to send their resume to her email instead. If we get an email without a resume it gets deleted. 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5411 on: February 19, 2014, 01:04:33 AM »
Craigslist is ok, except when it's not :)

Syfygeek

« Reply #5412 on: February 19, 2014, 11:21:14 AM »
Ok, I'm not certain if PD was committed, but karma certainly made an appearance!

Background- Boss re-writes job description in order to fire eliminate position held by Super Nice Coworker (SNC) of over 10 years. Boss hires WunderKid (WK)- the best thing to happen since sliced bread, maybe even better than that, to fill the job created by re-written job description. She knows the position was created for her, it's been a huge deal for her to come on staff, publicity sent out, TV appearances. etc..

3 months into WK's job, WK announces she's expecting, and is 3 months along. From then til her leave, she talks bout daycare, how she and her DH are planning for her to work, so of course she'll be back!  WK takes maternity leave, has a beautiful healthy baby, Boss is still talking about her like she's the Best Thing Ever and a week before it's time for her to come back, she tells Boss that she's not coming back.  Total time employed in the job created for her, including Maternity leave- 10 months. Now Boss has to scramble to find a replacement for the WunderKid, and with the re-written job description, it's going to be pretty hard...

We hear that SNC has new position, it's fabulous, more money, better benefits, it was a blessing in disguise to be fired.

That's my purse! I don't know you!

DollyPond

« Reply #5413 on: February 19, 2014, 11:43:44 AM »
· Applicant set fire to the interviewer’s newspaper while reading it when the interviewer said “impress me”

If an interviewer was actually reading a newspaper when trying to interview me at the same time I'd set the paper on fire as well.  Impress you??? You're not impressing me very much by essentially ignoring my existence.

MerryCat

« Reply #5414 on: February 19, 2014, 11:46:15 AM »
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought it was the interviewee that was reading the flaming newspaper as part of the attempt to impress?