Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1294408 times)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5415 on: February 19, 2014, 12:04:17 PM »
My employer is looking to hire for a technical position and a receptionist position that requires a little bit of comfort with the technical part of our business (the upper level staff can't triage every phone call for the support staff so some knowledge in this area is needed). Against my advice they placed the ads on Craigslist and started getting responses you get when you look for educated help on Craigslist...

*sigh* The main development manager where I work is, shall we say, "frugal." When I came to the company (via a merger) I told him that we needed to hire a very senior developer. Someone who would be my backup and eventually be a candidate to replace me. He started looking on Craigslist. When he couldn't even get a single candidate to interview through that route, he switched to a discount recruiter. The quality of resumes only went up slightly. Add to the fact that he's recruiting in the Silicon Valley but offering compensation appropriate for a much cheaper place means that we're not hiring the people we need.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

eltf177

« Reply #5416 on: February 19, 2014, 12:17:03 PM »
My employer is looking to hire for a technical position and a receptionist position that requires a little bit of comfort with the technical part of our business (the upper level staff can't triage every phone call for the support staff so some knowledge in this area is needed). Against my advice they placed the ads on Craigslist and started getting responses you get when you look for educated help on Craigslist...

*sigh* The main development manager where I work is, shall we say, "frugal." When I came to the company (via a merger) I told him that we needed to hire a very senior developer. Someone who would be my backup and eventually be a candidate to replace me. He started looking on Craigslist. When he couldn't even get a single candidate to interview through that route, he switched to a discount recruiter. The quality of resumes only went up slightly. Add to the fact that he's recruiting in the Silicon Valley but offering compensation appropriate for a much cheaper place means that we're not hiring the people we need.

One of my huge pet peeves. If you want quality people you have to loosen the pursestrings; being cheap frugal only gets you marginal applications.

Where I work now we had a gentleman come in for an interview. He was exactly what we wanted, but when he heard the salary he asked, "you're kidding, right?" Needless to say the guy we _did_ hire for that salary couldn't do the job and was let go. The position remains unfilled...

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5417 on: February 19, 2014, 06:24:33 PM »
Perhaps they should find out from the first guy if he is willing to work half time for that salary or on an "on call basis" with the lower salary being the funds set aside for him to come in when needed - at an hourly rate that he agrees to.  Then, if it turns out that he is needed six hours a day six days a week for eight months & wipes out the "funds" set aside in less than six months, your management will get the idea that maybe, just maybe, they need to come up with a higher salary for a full time person?

Or are they still going to argue how expensive a well trained person (who can do the job) is compared to a cheaper person (who will end up being fired)?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:49:19 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Dr. F.

« Reply #5418 on: February 19, 2014, 07:58:45 PM »

One of my huge pet peeves. If you want quality people you have to loosen the pursestrings; being cheap frugal only gets you marginal applications.

Where I work now we had a gentleman come in for an interview. He was exactly what we wanted, but when he heard the salary he asked, "you're kidding, right?" Needless to say the guy we _did_ hire for that salary couldn't do the job and was let go. The position remains unfilled...

Yep. My former employer was notorious for trying to get the technical staff for a cheap as possible, and then paying top $$$ for administrative staff. And then leaned on the technical staff to increase profits. And STILL cannot understand why that approach doesn't seem to be working, except, of course, all technical staff are losers and lazy, and clearly aren't worth what they're being paid, and they need to pay admin staff more to try to "beat the tech staff into line." That last is a direct quote from one of the Board members to me. Sheesh.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #5419 on: February 19, 2014, 09:10:37 PM »
· Applicant set fire to the interviewer’s newspaper while reading it when the interviewer said “impress me”

If an interviewer was actually reading a newspaper when trying to interview me at the same time I'd set the paper on fire as well.  Impress you??? You're not impressing me very much by essentially ignoring my existence.

The way I was imagining the situation, there was a newspaper lying on the interviewer's desk, and the applicant picked it up and started reading it, then set fire to it, and kept calmly reading it as it was burning, perhaps to show that he could remain calm during a crisis.

Still pretty stupid, but it makes more sense to me than either interviewer or applicant reading a newspaper during the interview.

phred246

« Reply #5420 on: February 20, 2014, 06:14:43 AM »
   This one is not a PD, but a year or so later, Supervisor (an ex-Marine sharpshooter) put a background program on a UNIX box in his cube that randomly made explosion sounds, from a pistol up to a field gun, at varying volumes. One day, when he was at another site, I was sitting at my desk, working on a preliminary design for a major project that I was in charge of, pencil in one hand, coffee cup in the other, when a very loud noise that sounded like every 16 inch gun on the USS New Jersey had just fired came from his cube! I managed to toss coffee all over that side of my desk, totally destroying the tablet I was writing on, plus a lot of naughty words came out of my mouth! I cleaned up, went to his cube and unplugged the speakers on the system, then copied my work to a new tablet! The next day, I told him what happened and gave him the coffee-scented tablet!

edited to correct a wrong word
I do hope you meant a paper tablet and not a computer one...

Yes, it was a paper legal size tablet, a brand new one, with 5 pages of notes!
Work fascinates me! I can stare at it for hours!

Minmom3

« Reply #5421 on: February 21, 2014, 12:19:41 AM »
In my family, we give "Loud Noise" warnings before doing something like that!  The cats don't listen, but the humans are grateful!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Hillia

« Reply #5422 on: February 21, 2014, 09:28:08 AM »
The local county treasurer is imploding in spectacular fashion.  The treasurer is normally elective; however, the current treasurer (who had run and been defeated in the most recent election) was appointed by the county commissioners after the woman in office left abruptly due to a major health issue.  The current treasurer, Sue, was appointed to the position despite the fact that she had no qualifications except 'enthusiasm' and significant involvement in the political party to which the county commissioners belong.  So far 3 members of her staff have quit, taking with them 50+ years of experience.  Sue has shown that she has absolutely no idea how to perform any of the duties of her office: mandatory reports haven't been filed since September, so schools, libraries, and other agencies that received county funds have no idea where their funding is; required payments weren't made to the state; and most serious, after she was placed on leave and auditors went through her office, over $800k in undeposited property tax checks were found in boxes and drawers.  In addition, some serious shenanigans in her personal financial history have now been uncovered.  Every time she's called on to explain the delays, or answer questions, her response is to accuse everyone in sight of fraud, corruption, etc, and to file lawsuits against everyone.  She's written multiple letters to the state board of investigation and the FBI to get them to investigate the 'crimes' that have been going on unnoticed for the past 20 years.  She's gotten so bad that the commissioners, who were defending her, have now started publicly apologizing for hiring her.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #5423 on: February 21, 2014, 09:39:47 PM »

The West Australian electoral commission is collectively committing Darwinism, by a) losing 1387 votes, and b) trying to say they didn't matter. So far the Commissioner has resigned, but more scalps might happen. Also, the people who do the counts will probably never be allowed near a count room again.

So this means an entire state goes back to the voting booths as the whole thing has been voided.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Jocelyn

« Reply #5424 on: February 22, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
'Mong' is short for 'mongol' so is an outdated and pejorative term for people with Downs Syndrome.

Both it and 'Spaz' are definitely very offensive here in the UK, I think an equivalent might be describing with physical disabilities as a cripple. They are not terms, here, which would be seen as 'outdated but part of normal vocabulary for the general population'  as opposed to people within specific communities, or where you'd be getting eye-rolls for being offended!

It's interesting that the terms haven't fallen out of use in the US - is it still the same with the terms '*******' and 'retarded'? I've never come across '*******' as anything other than a pejorative here in the UK, but I understand it was used officially / descriptively in education in the US until fairly recently  (not sure whether it is still used in that way)

(On a similar note, 'handicapped' has fallen out of use here - it's much more usual to hear people described as having disabilities, and things like parking spaces and permits are described that way. I think 'handicapped' is a term which would be seen more as outdated than offensive, in the general population, however)
There's very much a double standard in the US. People in education, nursing, social work or related professions, who work with people with disabilities, would probably hear 'spaz' and immediately make the connection with 'spastic paralysis'. We teach our social work students that any term that comes from a diagnostic label can be considered pejorative and should be avoided, although so many psychiatric labels have entered the vernacular it's really quite hard to avoid all references.
But a few years ago, I went to a conference where a presenter was presenting on the negative impact of anti-gay labels on gay teens. She repeatedly used 'that's so lame' as an alternative phrasing. After the presentation, I went up to her and said, 'That's so LAME?' and it suddenly hit her that 'lame' wasn't a neutral word, but a reference to a type of disability... She was horrified that she'd been using that word that might have had as negative an impact on disabled folks, as the word she wanted to replace had on homosexuals.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #5425 on: February 22, 2014, 05:24:05 PM »
Thank you, Jocelyn.  As someone who is lame due to a spastic condition, I appreciate your post very much.

Jocelyn

« Reply #5426 on: February 22, 2014, 05:27:12 PM »
I've done the personal photo albums thing.  :D  I was applying to work in a cake decorating shop and I brought photos of the cakes I'd made.
I wouldn't call that a personal photo album- I'd call that a professional portfolio.
Unless you're saying that there were photos of the parties at which the cakes were consumed, with people making goofy faces, or dancing, or posed with everyone with a drink in his or her hand. Scrapbook pages that just featured the cake and party decorations would be OK, IMO.

miladyrose

• I'm a thinker not a fighter
« Reply #5427 on: February 22, 2014, 06:27:34 PM »
Background: My coworkers and I are Circulation Assistants in our university's library. If we need time off we write it on the board, someone writes if they can cover the whole shift or part of it, and one of our supervisors initials it. If there is an emergency, we can text/call our coworkers to find someone to cover the shift, and the person covering will write the information on the board when they clock in. The schedule is put out three weeks in advance and rarely changes. Also, the library closes at 6pm on Saturday, we have to have 2 people to close, and there are only 2 people scheduled to work at a time.

Coworker A is scheduled to work 2-6pm every other Saturday. Yesterday evening, she sent out a mass text message to everybody asking if someone could take the shift because she needed to go to Nearby City, about an hours drive from campus. A few seconds later, she replied that she found someone to cover it. A few hours later, she sent out ANOTHER mass text message asking if someone could just take the 2-4pm shift. Since her original text message implied that she was having an emergency, I volunteered for it. We then had a short exchange detailing if she would take 2 of my hours on Sunday as we are required to exchange hours to avoid going into overtime.*

Well, when I got to work today, there was a message on the board saying Coworker Q would be taking the 4-6pm shift. All is well until about 3:55pm. Q usually shows up about 10 minutes before he starts his shift so I start getting anxious. By 4:30 I was livid and was planning on having a long conversation with Boss C Monday morning, but ended up messaging her instead. She immediately called the library, and told me that A had been pawning off her Saturday shift whenever she had it, and apparently when Q told A that he wouldn't be able to come in, she went anyway! At that point A should have taken the shift herself instead of going out of town, which incidentally was visit with her niece, not for any emergency.

Then Boss C tells me that she is going to have a LONG talk with A Monday, and asks if I could finish the shift, and perhaps be interested in taking A's Saturday shifts in the future? I agreed and she got off the phone after saying something about having a glass of wine(totally understandable in my opinion). Now, this is not a hard job. We can surf the web and go on any university allowed site including Facebook and Netflix while on the clock as long as we help customers when they come to the desk. Once an hour we have to go fill the printers, check the book drops, push in chairs, and put up books. Our bosses let us take paid breaks to eat meals and often bring in snacks, drinks, and other goodies to show they appreciate us. This is one of the cushiest jobs on campus, and A is probably going to lose it because she can't be bothered to let someone know that either 1) She can't/won't work Saturdays and 2) She didn't tell anyone that no one would be available to work for a 2 hour closing shift, leaving someone to try and get everyone to leave the building and clean up by herself.

It's a good thing A is graduating in May because after this, and previous incidents, I don't think she would be asked to stay on during the summer if this incident didn't lead to her termination.

* She told me she would work the hours if I needed her to, but she doesn't care about getting her hours back. Since she works 2pm-8pm Sunday, and I work 8pm-12am, I highly doubt she would bother if I needed her to.

DollyPond

« Reply #5428 on: February 25, 2014, 03:57:12 PM »
Here's a ticking time bomb of PD...

New Hire's first day of work was yesterday.  In this first day he managed to accomplish the following:

- ask to schedule several weeks of vacation time around major holidays because he's "used to" taking that time off
 - say to a group of co-workers (mostly women) "I guess I need to watch that I don't offend the LAY-DEES because there's a lot of women here."
 - spend time talking about his extensive knowledge of pron movies

All of this and more on Day One.  I'm getting some popcorn.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #5429 on: February 25, 2014, 03:58:47 PM »
Wow, hot and cold oblique insults on the first day! 

Scooch over and share, would you?