Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1325369 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5535 on: March 14, 2014, 07:12:41 PM »
I'm trying to figure out who in my office is committing PD the fastest!  For candidates we have:

Annoying Coworker - has to be reminded every day to clock in and turn her phone's ringer off.  Has supposedly worked for major healthcare insurance companies in the past, but cannot figure out the shorthand for "diabetes type II" on a recent worksheet we got.  Her solution to everything is to laugh loudly and say, "Well, I'm learning!".  Until I stopped answering her, asked me the same question at least four times a day.

Know-It-All Coworker - picks fights with the boss almost every morning, then complains to all and sundry (including me) about how terrible her working conditions are.  Has taken to capturing me when I go to ask her a question and ranting on and on about the "pets" and "favorites" and "evil people" who all supposedly work at our office. 

Crazy Boss - shouts, pounds on desks and pokes people to make a point.  Bullies anyone around her.  Talks to people in an incredibly condescending tone.  Throws blame on the closest person, even if they had nothing to do with the issue (I got yelled at today for something that happened in November, when I wasn't even hired yet). 

I thought this would be a pretty good job when I took it in December.  I've started sending out applications again.  The atmosphere in that office is...I don't even know what to call it!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5536 on: March 14, 2014, 08:12:53 PM »
I'm trying to figure out who in my office is committing PD the fastest!  For candidates we have:

Annoying Coworker - has to be reminded every day to clock in and turn her phone's ringer off.  Has supposedly worked for major healthcare insurance companies in the past, but cannot figure out the shorthand for "diabetes type II" on a recent worksheet we got.  Her solution to everything is to laugh loudly and say, "Well, I'm learning!".  Until I stopped answering her, asked me the same question at least four times a day.

Know-It-All Coworker - picks fights with the boss almost every morning, then complains to all and sundry (including me) about how terrible her working conditions are.  Has taken to capturing me when I go to ask her a question and ranting on and on about the "pets" and "favorites" and "evil people" who all supposedly work at our office. 

Crazy Boss - shouts, pounds on desks and pokes people to make a point.  Bullies anyone around her.  Talks to people in an incredibly condescending tone.  Throws blame on the closest person, even if they had nothing to do with the issue (I got yelled at today for something that happened in November, when I wasn't even hired yet). 

I thought this would be a pretty good job when I took it in December.  I've started sending out applications again.  The atmosphere in that office is...I don't even know what to call it!

toxic is an understatment

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5537 on: March 14, 2014, 08:48:25 PM »
Can you be a PD canidate when you don't have the job yet?

i had a group interview today for a job, and out of the six of us, Only two of us (me and another girl) were dressed at all properly for the interview. Everyone else was in t-shirt and jeans.

And the girl who was dressed properly like me? Was chewing gum.

Oh and two of the candidates mentioned religion.... errr... isn't that supposed to be a no no?

Cuddlepie

« Reply #5538 on: March 14, 2014, 08:55:32 PM »
Can you be a PD canidate when you don't have the job yet?

i had a group interview today for a job, and out of the six of us, Only two of us (me and another girl) were dressed at all properly for the interview. Everyone else was in t-shirt and jeans.

And the girl who was dressed properly like me? Was chewing gum.

Oh and two of the candidates mentioned religion.... errr... isn't that supposed to be a no no?

I am hoping that it is for your sake Nikko-chan, that's means you will get the job.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5539 on: March 14, 2014, 09:00:07 PM »
Thanks Cuddlepie. And I'll know if I go back for a second interview in a week.

Amara

« Reply #5540 on: March 14, 2014, 11:59:06 PM »
The interview story reminded me of when I once applied to FedEx. The company ran a quarter-page ad in the local paper stating they would be having a job fair at a certain time and location. I went, knowing that dressing well was important (reps from the company would be there after all). I was the only woman, and there were about thirty men. Two women from HR, dressed very professionally, and I pretty much matched them. One other man, slightly older than myself had worn dark dress pants, a white shirt and a tie. Everyone else was in jeans, tee shirts, and even shorts and sandals.

The job fair turned out, as I suspected it would be, the first interview. They explained the insanely long and complicated application--because they are considered a type of airline you had to list every job you had and every place you lived for the past ten years to the month and list a reference who could verify that. Mine wasn't the only jaw that dropped. They also strongly recommended you read the instructions on each page before starting to fill it in. I was amused to see I was almost the only person to do so. I was one of only three people offered a real interview on the spot and I was the only one hired.

Lesson reinforced: Dress well. Pay attention. Do what they want. It's seems so simple, but apparently it's not.

MissRose

« Reply #5541 on: March 15, 2014, 07:52:18 AM »
I dealt with someone yesterday who is a PD candidate for sure. 

Background: my senior citizen parents (and 1 of them has a heart issue) have been having phone line issues.  They have to resort to using my dad's cell phone which neither are fond of at all.  My mother was told by several different people that on Friday, someone would be out to fix the line issue but no one came out at all.  My mother emphasized the fact about her husband's health issue as well. This could fall in the not shopping there section too. /end background

My mother got on the phone with yet another person who said to her that someone is NOT scheduled to dispatch on Friday, it will be some time on Saturday between 8am to 6pm.  My mother repeated herself several times with the promise made by other agents that Friday was the day.  I took the cell phone from my mother who is obviously NOT happy and introduced myself then said to her: my parents are seniors, my dad has heart issues, my mother has a 90 year old mother in a rest home that knows no other way to reach her daughter.  She was promised a Friday date dispatch.  Please place your MANAGER on the phone now.  The woman said I am a manager. I again repeated the statement and request for a manager.  She again denied me the request.  I explained to her I work for another carrier servicing business customers (but did not tell her I know others of various levels in the field for different companies), and if a customer asks for my manager, I get one I do not flat out refuse.  I admit I was getting a bit snippy with her at this point but remaining as calm as possible.   She again refused to get me the manager then she hung up on me.

I asked my mother for the number to ring back.  I have had it.  I know I do not get along with my mother at times but having their landline working is important to them.  During my 15 minute wait on their cell phone, I texted on my phone my best friend who works for a UK telecom then went to Twitter to post a summary of my experiences with the carrier.  I then got a new person, explained the situation as calmly as possible, the person understood but could not help then said I will transfer you to the correct group.  I had another 10 minute wait then got the new person in the correct group, explained things yet again, and they said there was NO way to get someone that day and no way to guarantee they would get an expedite as it was with a group of dispatchers/agents that assist people who have issues like my parents.  But at least the 2nd person was much more polite to me.  My tweets also paid off, I messaged the details back as requested - I know the power of social media even though my parents do not go online (beyond my mother's kindle connecting wirelessly to give her the daily bible readings).  My friend was at work so he did not respond as fast to me but gave a few suggestions too.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #5542 on: March 16, 2014, 03:45:34 PM »

Background: my senior citizen parents (and 1 of them has a heart issue) have been having phone line issues.  They have to resort to using my dad's cell phone which neither are fond of at all.  My mother was told by several different people that on Friday, someone would be out to fix the line issue but no one came out at all.  My mother emphasized the fact about her husband's health issue as well. This could fall in the not shopping there section too. /end background

My mother got on the phone with yet another person who said to her that someone is NOT scheduled to dispatch on Friday, it will be some time on Saturday between 8am to 6pm.  My mother repeated herself several times with the promise made by other agents that Friday was the day.  I took the cell phone from my mother who is obviously NOT happy and introduced myself then said to her: my parents are seniors, my dad has heart issues, my mother has a 90 year old mother in a rest home that knows no other way to reach her daughter.  She was promised a Friday date dispatch.  Please place your MANAGER on the phone now.  The woman said I am a manager. I again repeated the statement and request for a manager.  She again denied me the request.  I explained to her I work for another carrier servicing business customers (but did not tell her I know others of various levels in the field for different companies), and if a customer asks for my manager, I get one I do not flat out refuse.  I admit I was getting a bit snippy with her at this point but remaining as calm as possible.   She again refused to get me the manager then she hung up on me.

I asked my mother for the number to ring back.  I have had it.  I know I do not get along with my mother at times but having their landline working is important to them.  During my 15 minute wait on their cell phone, I texted on my phone my best friend who works for a UK telecom then went to Twitter to post a summary of my experiences with the carrier.  I then got a new person, explained the situation as calmly as possible, the person understood but could not help then said I will transfer you to the correct group.  I had another 10 minute wait then got the new person in the correct group, explained things yet again, and they said there was NO way to get someone that day and no way to guarantee they would get an expedite as it was with a group of dispatchers/agents that assist people who have issues like my parents.  But at least the 2nd person was much more polite to me.  My tweets also paid off, I messaged the details back as requested - I know the power of social media even though my parents do not go online (beyond my mother's kindle connecting wirelessly to give her the daily bible readings).  My friend was at work so he did not respond as fast to me but gave a few suggestions too.

Miss Rose, you have my respect and admiration.  I hope those issues are reconciled FAST. 

Yarnspinner

« Reply #5543 on: March 16, 2014, 03:51:04 PM »
Another "This SHOULD be P.D., but they'll get away with it."

Our library board, in conjunction with Stonecold, have decided the best thing they can do is get rid of all professional staff and hire "non-union" people.  How they will do this, I do not know since Labor Relations has already told them they cannot lay people off unless the mayor says they can and he has stated that layoffs are not necessary this year. 

The board says they do not have to do what the city says as they are no longer a city institution.  But, oh, please keep the taxpayer money coming.  They can't seem to grasp that if they succeed in making the library a private institution run completely by non professionals, they are no longer entitled to taxpayer and city funding. 

Retiring and moving is looking better all the time.  And maybe now I will HAVE to retire, since they are targeting my classification.

Stonecold has announced that she wants to make the place a "teaching library" for new librarians in much the same way as some hospitals are teaching hospitals for new doctors.

Doesn't that kind of suggest that there are actually professional people on staff who know how to do the things that the librarians will be taught? 

Amara

« Reply #5544 on: March 16, 2014, 05:10:05 PM »
Yarnspinner, surely with all your experience you shouldn't have trouble finding another job in a place you'd like to live? You deserve to work in a happy place.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #5545 on: March 16, 2014, 06:40:55 PM »

Miss Rose, you have my respect and admiration.  I hope those issues are reconciled FAST.

Yes good work escalating the issue, it sounds as though there are some procedural problems they need to look into.   I do wonder though if perhaps for logistical reasons they really can't get a tech out there on the Friday - perhaps their tech workforce is unexpectedly low due to an emergency (somebody is off sick, their grandma died, there's been an even bigger more urgent case elsewhere they can't pull anybody off).    That doesn't excuse the lady hanging up on you, or the fact that they let you down originally after saying they could do Friday.  But it sounds like now they really, really can't do Friday for whatever reason which is probably completely outside of the control of the people you are talking to.   I would definitely be laying a complaint with the company about the misinformation initially, but I personally wouldn't keep pushing for something they are saying they can't do.  It kind of ends up belonging in harry potter territory.   I personally feel that beyond explaining the urgency and asking again if they're sure there's nothing they can do, it's best to accept that they're probably not lying.    I mean, if it were me in the call centre, and there was a tech available, I would be assigning the tech in order to get the customer off the phone!  Not spending ages arguing with them about it.   So I doubt they were just telling you "no" for fun.   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Mary Lennox

« Reply #5546 on: March 16, 2014, 07:06:55 PM »
Miss Rose, I don't know if this will help, but is there a way to get your parents on a priority list for repairs? When my sister was growing up, my parents were able to get put on some list that prioritised them for service repairs because she had epilepsy and they needed to be able to call for help. Does ATT have a similar list?

Yarnspinner

« Reply #5547 on: March 16, 2014, 08:08:05 PM »
Yarnspinner, surely with all your experience you shouldn't have trouble finding another job in a place you'd like to live? You deserve to work in a happy place.

Thank you, Amara.  All my coworkers deserve that.  I haven't been looking lately, partly because I am lazy and have gotten apathetic (there, I said it and I feel better) and partly because I am pushing 60 and while we all "know" it is illegal to discriminate by age, it is done all the time under the guise of needing "this particular skill" that doesn't necessarily amount to a hill of beans. 

I have one friend who keeps current with all the technologies, knows how to wrestle a computer to the ground and make it do what she wants and rebuilds them from scratch....she has been interviewing at least once a week every week for two years solid.  Another coworker and I applied for the same job...I didn't even get a rejection letter, he was told he was the best interview they had had...until they gave it to someone else just out of school.  And he was too exhausted himself to complain.

To be honest, a lot of us are burned out from dealing with people who live in alternate realities...we all think we might as well be greeters at Walmart!  ^_^    I'm looking at the things I love to do and trying to figure out where I can make some sort of living at it, even if it just means shilling at a crafts store.  The saga continues!

BB-VA

« Reply #5548 on: March 16, 2014, 10:03:07 PM »

Thank you, Amara.  All my coworkers deserve that.  I haven't been looking lately, partly because I am lazy and have gotten apathetic (there, I said it and I feel better) and partly because I am pushing 60 and while we all "know" it is illegal to discriminate by age, it is done all the time under the guise of needing "this particular skill" that doesn't necessarily amount to a hill of beans. 

I have one friend who keeps current with all the technologies, knows how to wrestle a computer to the ground and make it do what she wants and rebuilds them from scratch....she has been interviewing at least once a week every week for two years solid.  Another coworker and I applied for the same job...I didn't even get a rejection letter, he was told he was the best interview they had had...until they gave it to someone else just out of school.  And he was too exhausted himself to complain.

To be honest, a lot of us are burned out from dealing with people who live in alternate realities...we all think we might as well be greeters at Walmart!  ^_^    I'm looking at the things I love to do and trying to figure out where I can make some sort of living at it, even if it just means shilling at a crafts store.  The saga continues!

FWIW, I feel your pain about the job search, Yarnspinner - while I am not a librarian, I am about the same age you are, and was laid off from my job of 18 years in 2012.  It took 11 months to find a job I don't like so much, but the pay and benefits are good.  Still, I have been sending letters and resumes out, and I got a response from one that stated I didn't have a good enough test score for the job.

I didn't TAKE a test.  The only contact I had was my application and resume.  I figure that the actual test was performed by someone on the HR staff - subtracting the earliest date on my application from 2014, and deduceing my age from that.

I do wish you well in your search, and hope you find a place that is worthy of you and your skills.

ETA because of wrong usage of "deduct"
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 06:21:32 AM by BB-VA »
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5549 on: March 16, 2014, 10:12:21 PM »

Not sure if this is helpful, but last year I paid for my resume to be professionally re-written.  I have been using a functional resume for several years now, but I had always written it myself.  I don't know if it was the confidence boost or the actual resume itself, but I applied to several jobs in different industries and got a lot of interest and quite a few callbacks and interviews.

If you know that you may want to change industries a functional resume is a great way to lead with your skills and accomplishments first.