News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 24, 2017, 01:36:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3626655 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5595 on: April 21, 2014, 08:42:51 AM »
Our staff member that no called, no showed for three weeks then has been on extended leave was given an ultimatum. Either the staff member would come back today and be in their office at the appointed time or they would resign.

They resigned.

This particular staff member has not worked one day since August 20th. 8 months, and it has been unpaid leave. Now we can hire a replacement.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

darling

« Reply #5596 on: April 21, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
Our staff member that no called, no showed for three weeks then has been on extended leave was given an ultimatum. Either the staff member would come back today and be in their office at the appointed time or they would resign.

They resigned.

This particular staff member has not worked one day since August 20th. 8 months, and it has been unpaid leave. Now we can hire a replacement.

Wha??? Wow...

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5597 on: April 21, 2014, 11:01:28 AM »
Bureaucracy makes it very difficult to actually force people out of a job.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

becktheriddler

« Reply #5598 on: April 21, 2014, 12:13:38 PM »
Actually, just posting for the updates. I love this thread.
By Grabthar's Hammer...what a savings!

weeblewobble

« Reply #5599 on: April 21, 2014, 03:44:04 PM »
My brother, Ted, turned this one in for his coworker.  His coworker, Ashley, applied and lobbied for the chance to attend an extended professional development training (think several weeks at the company's national headquarters in a big city, several hundred miles from her home.) And when she arrived, immediately started complaining about the training program, how she didn't think she was getting anything out of it, she was homesick, etc.  So as part of their training, the trainees are expected to help run a weekend event for the company. Ashley just didn't show up.  The program coordinators were very concerned and called her cell multiple times to make sure she was OK, but she never picked up.

On Monday, Ashley came into training and her supervisors asked 1) why she didn't attend the mandatory weekend event and 2) why she didn't pick up her phone when they called.  Her response? I didn't think it was reasonable for you to mandate a weekend event, so I went home for the weekend to visit my family.  And I didn't pick up my phone because it was the weekend and you don't have the right to my time on the weekend.  She then told them that her family had encouraged here to quite the training program, which she was doing immediately.  She only came back to pick up all of her stuff.

Ted doubts very much that Ashley will have any opportunity for advancement or extra training after this.

Amara

« Reply #5600 on: April 21, 2014, 05:09:13 PM »
^ ^ ^ Why would she still have a job???

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #5601 on: April 21, 2014, 06:42:41 PM »
That was about the worst way to quit a job that I ever heard of.  She did quite a number on making it very, very hard to get any kind of a reference or another job after that stunt...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

weeblewobble

« Reply #5602 on: April 21, 2014, 09:18:34 PM »
^ ^ ^ Why would she still have a job???

Sorry, that last line was my unclear, smart aleck way of saying she'll probably be fired.

MinAvi

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #5603 on: April 21, 2014, 10:53:25 PM »
My Dad told me a great one this weekend.

The PA for one of the government organisations he works with was very lazy. Her managers and co-workers were used to having to pick up the slack and eventually all her duties excluding answering the phones and sorting the mail were reassigned.

As Madam-Lazy-bones was a government employee, and a minority as well, she was pretty much untouchable. That is until the day her boss walked in and caught her shredding unopened mail.

You see, even though all her day entailed was opening mail and answering phones, it was just too stressful for her. So Madam-Lazy-bones was just feeding the mail into the shredder as it came in the office. Cheques, invoices, statements, notarized documents, all being fed into the shredder. She was fired on the spot.

In the aftermath her coworkers had to call as many suppliers and customers as they could and get new payments etc sent in. This is when it was discovered that Madam-Lazy-bones wasn't answering the phones either. She would just let it go to voice mail and delete the entire inbox unread as soon as it filled up.

When IT went in to clear her computer they noticed that in a 38 hour work week, Madam-Lazy-bones was spending on average 35-39 hours a week on various online dating/friends with benefits chat sites.

Lovely. 

PastryGoddess

« Reply #5604 on: April 21, 2014, 11:23:48 PM »
My Dad told me a great one this weekend.

The PA for one of the government organisations he works with was very lazy. Her managers and co-workers were used to having to pick up the slack and eventually all her duties excluding answering the phones and sorting the mail were reassigned.

As Madam-Lazy-bones was a government employee, and a minority as well, she was pretty much untouchable. That is until the day her boss walked in and caught her shredding unopened mail.

You see, even though all her day entailed was opening mail and answering phones, it was just too stressful for her. So Madam-Lazy-bones was just feeding the mail into the shredder as it came in the office. Cheques, invoices, statements, notarized documents, all being fed into the shredder. She was fired on the spot.

In the aftermath her coworkers had to call as many suppliers and customers as they could and get new payments etc sent in. This is when it was discovered that Madam-Lazy-bones wasn't answering the phones either. She would just let it go to voice mail and delete the entire inbox unread as soon as it filled up.

When IT went in to clear her computer they noticed that in a 38 hour work week, Madam-Lazy-bones was spending on average 35-39 hours a week on various online dating/friends with benefits chat sites.

Lovely. 

The jaw drop smileys jaw cannot drop far enough to adequately convey my shock at this person's actions.  WHO. DOES. THAT???

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #5605 on: April 22, 2014, 08:26:10 AM »
She shredded the mail?!?!?!?  The voice messages are bad enough, but the mail?  Legal documents and checks.

This is not professional Darwinism.  This is someone with an intense anger towards her employer.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Hillia

« Reply #5606 on: April 22, 2014, 08:42:00 AM »
The county treasurer where I live was found to have several hundred thousand dollars worth of undeposited checks stashed in various places around her office.  Political appointees don't often work out well.

Ginger G

« Reply #5607 on: April 22, 2014, 09:28:01 AM »
I had to terminate a man with 16 years with the company this morning due to an inappropriate relationship between him and a female employee he supervised.  Even worse, both employees are married.  It wasn't just the inappropriate relationship, he lied repeatedly when we started investigating.  She eventually admitted it, but even knowing that, he continued to lie and say there wasn't anything going on.  He finally admitted it when confronted with pages and pages of emails between them that left absolutely nothing to the imagination.  Emails that they sent on company computers on company time.  The female employee had told me that he thought he had a way to permantly delete the emails.  He was wrong.

knitwicca

« Reply #5608 on: April 22, 2014, 10:04:34 AM »
Speaking of applicants, some people really not know how to behave when looking for employment.

At my former job I was reception and it was baffling the number of people coming in for interviews who were flat out rude to me, either on the phone prior or in person at the interview. Don't you realize the second you hang up/leave I'm going to go over to the person who interviewed you and say, "I did not like him, he was disrespectful" and they're immediately going to toss your application in the trash? Be nice to the lowest person on the totem pole, it matters.

Any time I'm in a position to mentor students or young workers, that's always always the information I pass on. (I usually say "secretaries rule the world." :)) Anyone who treats my staff poorly, I will know about it and it will affect my opinion of you. Support staff are hugely important and can make your life so much easier or so much harder after you're hired too! Always maintain a good relationship.

In my past, I have been a receptionist at a few different jobs.
People who were deliberately rude often were put on hold....permanently.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #5609 on: April 22, 2014, 08:28:29 PM »
This is kind of a sad case of PD, it's so unnecessary... hopefully it can be resolved but I'm at the point where I don't really care anymore.   We hired a new case manager in February, and the quality of her work is great, her clients seem satisfied.    Unfortunately her standards are so high that she refuses to understand that other teams have different priorities, and that they can't drop everything and help her on a moment's notice.   Every time she doesn't get the response she wants from somebody she becomes irate and frustrated.  It's as if she sees herself as a lone island, the only person who cares about her clients, and that she has to fight for them... when in reality every single person here is focused on the same common goal.

I am only in the office 3 days per week, the other two days I'm available on phone if needed and also check my emails.   Every single week, at least once, I get a phone call from Linda complaining about something the customer service team have done, normally some kind of conversation she's had with them where she's unhappy with the outcome - we're talking about very routine, minor things, that aren't creating any extra work for anybody, just where she hasn't gotten her own way.  I spend 30 minutes on the phone coaching her through the problem and calming her down.  This would be slightly annoying.   But it's also important to note that Linda doesn't report to me - she has a very lovely manager of her own, Clare (who does report to me).    I also don't manage the customer service team directly, they have a very lovely manager Emma (who does report to me).      Yes, I have an open door policy, yes I encourage people to talk to me, and I love that they find me approachable.  But running to a senior executive with every tiny little concern?  Yeah, I'm starting to feel like a primary school teacher.   Yesterday it was that she went in and asked Abby for something, which happened to not be Abby's role.  Emma jumped in and explained that it wasn't a question they could answer straight away as they needed to look into it (it was a request for a schedule change a few week's ahead of time - not something they can answer off the top of their heads, or even look up quickly, quite complex).    Linda was not happy that Emma jumped in, and not happy that they can't give an answer right away.   (Emma actually offered to look at it for her that day if she would give her the details, which I personally think was actually quite generous as it was not a high priority request and the workload is very high this week!)   But no, Linda was Not Happy, and called me straight away to complain.   At length.   ::)

I've been very understanding of Linda up until now, helping her understand procedures and the way things work, and reassuring her.    But now I think it's getting ridiculous - stop calling me!     Emma and Clare are going to sit down and see if they can work out a plan to help Linda settle down and ensure she feels her work is given enough priority, while getting her back in line.   All the other case managers, including Clare, are happy with the customer service team.   Yes there are occasional issues, but they understand the different priorities and that while they each may have a list of clients, the customer service team are dealing with 100s of clients, everyday!

(For the record, my staff overall are awesome, if there were a thread to rave about awesome staff, I'd post nearly everyday).
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"