A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74

<< < (1120/1263) > >>

magicdomino:

--- Quote from: HorseFreak on April 07, 2014, 07:31:03 PM ---One of the assistants at the small business I work at has committed full-on PD. She has only been employed for a few weeks, but has done numerous things to get fired:
- Start the gossip/trash talking on her first day
- Make the lower level assistant cry (she's a very sweet girl and did NOTHING to deserve such treatment)
- Show up in a grungy, ancient, cracked applique sweatshirt instead of professional dress then complain she's being singled out because another worker wore an (acceptable) collared shirt over her work shirt. A tidy fleece also would have been acceptable, but this looked more like something I wouldn't go to Walmart in
- Go ballistic when the boss gives a warning to all the new staff that theft will not be tolerated and will be prosecuted and accuse Boss of singling her out. I was at the meeting and NO ONE was singled out. The warning was given due to previous problems.
- Instead of talking to Boss about how she communicates (writes on a board instead of direct...it's obnoxious, but nothing to get that fired up about) rant to every other staff member about how disrespectful it is
- Do her job halfway or not at all. Glare at me when requested she do some regular tasks within her job description.

--- End quote ---

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.  A guilty conscience, perhaps?

pierrotlunaire0:
This hit the media last week.  A state employee (not my department, but Human Services) left their work laptop in their car and it was stolen.  The lap top had some fairly high level encryption but the flash drive that was in it was not encrypted AT ALL.  Over 2500 people have had their personal information stolen, including: full legal name, date of birth, social security number, medical history, and income information.

I read the press release and wanted to scream at the person who left the laptop in their car: Duuuuuude!  Lying on the front seat of your car?????????

The state is trying to figure out all the people potentially affected.  My only hope is that who ever stole it just wanted the laptop, and pitched the flash drive.

Hillia:
DS shared an example of preemptive PD today.

The company he works for is hiring salespeople.  He saw an email that was sent to the address used for receiving resumes.  Apparently the writer had sent his resume in a few times and had received the 'Thank you for your interest,but no thanks response each time.  After the third rejection, he sent a furious, expletive-filled rant about how wonderful he was and how much they'd regret not hiring him, and how stupid the recruiter was for not realizing it.

kherbert05:
http://gawker.com/professor-suspended-over-threatening-game-of-thrones-1564357810

Professor posts a picture of his daughter wearing a shirt with a Game of Thrones quote - "I'll take what is mine with fire and blood".

The administration suspended him. They are claiming that he could be threatening to shoot up the school. It had nothing to do with the fact the professor had filed a grievance about being denied a sabbatical.  The faculty had registered a no confidence vote against the University President.

It sounds like the administration might be committing PD.

AngelicGamer:

--- Quote from: kherbert05 on April 17, 2014, 09:11:22 PM ---http://gawker.com/professor-suspended-over-threatening-game-of-thrones-1564357810

Professor posts a picture of his daughter wearing a shirt with a Game of Thrones quote - "I'll take what is mine with fire and blood".

The administration suspended him. They are claiming that he could be threatening to shoot up the school. It had nothing to do with the fact the professor had filed a grievance about being denied a sabbatical.  The faculty had registered a no confidence vote against the University President.

It sounds like the administration might be committing PD.

--- End quote ---

I don't think there's any might about it there.  GoT is a popular fandom and it could just be that he's happy that he can share a fandom with his daughter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version