A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74

<< < (1120/2325) > >>

ladyknight1:
Our staff member that no called, no showed for three weeks then has been on extended leave was given an ultimatum. Either the staff member would come back today and be in their office at the appointed time or they would resign.

They resigned.

This particular staff member has not worked one day since August 20th. 8 months, and it has been unpaid leave. Now we can hire a replacement.

darling:

--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on April 21, 2014, 08:42:51 AM ---Our staff member that no called, no showed for three weeks then has been on extended leave was given an ultimatum. Either the staff member would come back today and be in their office at the appointed time or they would resign.

They resigned.

This particular staff member has not worked one day since August 20th. 8 months, and it has been unpaid leave. Now we can hire a replacement.

--- End quote ---

Wha??? Wow...

ladyknight1:
Bureaucracy makes it very difficult to actually force people out of a job.

becktheriddler:
Actually, just posting for the updates. I love this thread.

weeblewobble:
My brother, Ted, turned this one in for his coworker.  His coworker, Ashley, applied and lobbied for the chance to attend an extended professional development training (think several weeks at the company's national headquarters in a big city, several hundred miles from her home.) And when she arrived, immediately started complaining about the training program, how she didn't think she was getting anything out of it, she was homesick, etc.  So as part of their training, the trainees are expected to help run a weekend event for the company. Ashley just didn't show up.  The program coordinators were very concerned and called her cell multiple times to make sure she was OK, but she never picked up.

On Monday, Ashley came into training and her supervisors asked 1) why she didn't attend the mandatory weekend event and 2) why she didn't pick up her phone when they called.  Her response? I didn't think it was reasonable for you to mandate a weekend event, so I went home for the weekend to visit my family.  And I didn't pick up my phone because it was the weekend and you don't have the right to my time on the weekend.  She then told them that her family had encouraged here to quite the training program, which she was doing immediately.  She only came back to pick up all of her stuff.

Ted doubts very much that Ashley will have any opportunity for advancement or extra training after this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version