Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1376411 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5670 on: May 01, 2014, 08:45:27 PM »
I used to work on reception and a lot of the time when I transferred a call the person would know what it was about when I said their name. Sometimes I had to transfer to someone else when the actual person was out of the office and I always asked if it was something they could handle. And sometimes it was an irate person who needed someone else to yell at and I needed someone senior to handle it. Sometimes it wouldn't even be a call, it was an open plan office so I said there was an angry person that needed to be talked to.

alkira6

« Reply #5671 on: May 02, 2014, 01:49:57 PM »
I had a boss at a (very) short-lived job in college who was never "in".  It didn't matter what the issue was, she was NEVER in for phone calls.  I left before I saw the fallout, but from what I know of that office it couldn't have been pretty.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5672 on: May 02, 2014, 04:30:53 PM »

That drives me bonkers!  I'll get calls from other departments trying to transfer someone to me and they are supposed to explain the problem before they send the call.  A lot just send it over without any introduction of heads up which makes us look bad when I discover that the issue is solely the province of the other department and have to send it right back.  I figure those people just want to get rid of the call.  Then there are the incompetent people who do take the time to thoroughly explain what they need me to do.  Only what they want me to do is completely and entirely their job.  I don't have access to that information, I have no way to answer the question or do those actions for anyone.  It's not even nuanced - I handle content and substantive work for the clients we already have.  They handle getting more clients and the money.  And yet they sound shocked that the client was in fact already in the right place.

I had a situation come up when I worked in a military hospital where someone was transferred to my number by accident (or maybe whoever transferred them just wanted to get rid of them.  I don't know.)  It was an ambulance driver who was there to pick up a patient, and he didn't know where in the hospital the patient was.  Unfortunately, it was at 7:30 in the morning, during most shift changes.  I tried to transfer his call to the places where he should have been transferred, e.g. the transportation people, or, failing that, the charge nurse.  No one was answering the phones.  The driver had always been polite and had thanked me for my help; finally, he called me back and said, "I hate to keep calling you, since I know you don't have anything to do with this, but no one else is answering their phone."  That time, between the two of us, we were able to figure out what floor the patient was on, and I was able to send him to the floor's nursing station.  I never heard from him again, so that must have worked. 

Because of where my department name was located on the "list of department phone numbers" the information desks had, I would often get calls for the transportation people (I was transcription.)  Some, like the ambulance driver, were polite.  Others were downright rude; one rude person asked me why I had answered the phone since I wasn't the department they needed.  Or something like that.  Like my phone only rang when it was for me.  Sheesh.

Shalamar

« Reply #5673 on: May 02, 2014, 04:53:01 PM »
From Not Always Working.

I can't believe he/she is trying to decide whether or not to take the job.  My advice would be "Run fast, run far."   ???

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5674 on: May 02, 2014, 06:20:18 PM »
I hope she runs far and fast from that "opportunity".

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5675 on: May 02, 2014, 06:29:46 PM »
I overheard someone saying they have gotten complaints from agents who try to transfer callers to other departments who will do one of the  following: refuse to accept the call even though it is clear it is theirs, pick up the line and say nothing which forces the agent to call back to get someone who will pick up the line, and/or sending certain types of work/issues to departments that are not even trained to do the work.  If only we could have all of the work at my place, our managers are stricter compared to the other location!

That drives me bonkers!  I'll get calls from other departments trying to transfer someone to me and they are supposed to explain the problem before they send the call.  A lot just send it over without any introduction of heads up which makes us look bad when I discover that the issue is solely the province of the other department and have to send it right back.  I figure those people just want to get rid of the call.  Then there are the incompetent people who do take the time to thoroughly explain what they need me to do.  Only what they want me to do is completely and entirely their job.  I don't have access to that information, I have no way to answer the question or do those actions for anyone.  It's not even nuanced - I handle content and substantive work for the clients we already have.  They handle getting more clients and the money.  And yet they sound shocked that the client was in fact already in the right place.

I used to work for a major healthcare insurance company, and when you transferred a call to a different area of the company, you were supposed to stay on the line, introduce yourself and the caller, and tell the other customer service person what needed to happen on the call.  We used to get lots of transfers of "hey, this person needs to talk to you guys" and when we'd ask "who are they, what do they want, have you verified them?" we'd be met with "Oh, no, I have no idea."  Then how, pray tell, do you know they need to talk to us?  It turned out my department had developed a reputation for actually answering the phone when you called us, so everyone was dumping unwanted calls on us because they knew we'd pick up the phone.  Grrrr.  That didn't last long, once we got our manager involved. 

TeamBhakta

« Reply #5676 on: May 02, 2014, 07:38:42 PM »
I was temporarily sent to a different store today. I knew one sample lady working there, but not a second one who was brand new. The new lady came up to my station, rearranged my equipment and said "You have to do things xyz way" (which I knew was wrong). I assumed she'd been brought in as the new lead & kept my mouth shut. But then she barked at me later "TeamBhakta! Why aren't you finished setting up yet ?!  >:(" So I ended up asking the one I knew "Is she your new lead or something ? She snapped at me and messed with my stuff." She told me "No, I'm the lead here. She isn't supposed to tell you what to do. She tried that with me and I set her straight." The new lady walked up a second time a few minutes afterwards and demanded "Are you finally set up yet ?" I told her in my female-dog-barely-restrained tone "OtherLady & I have it set up. We're good here."

NewLady randomly disappeared after a few minutes of work, came back without her work uniform & took down all her equipment. As she walked past my station, she told me in a bizarrely mellow, too spaced out tone (to the point I thought she'd possibly try to hurt herself or start screaming at me) "It was sooo nice working with you." I found out after she left she'd marched up to a department manager & angrily gave her orders. Huge mistake. Which apparently ended with our lead finding out, ripping NewLady a new one & NewLady claiming afterwards "I'm not feeling well. I must go home."

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5677 on: May 05, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »
Black Milk.  Not sure I can really add to that article, but it's a good analysis of how NOT to deal with a company social media campaign.

(Short version: a clothing company - which has made a brand based on respecting women's bodies of all shapes and sizes - posts a "cute" photo which some people see as size-shaming.  The company social media team, instead of apologizing or addressing it, essentially say "lol unfollow us then" and ban a bunch of people trying to discuss the issue.)

mmswm

« Reply #5678 on: May 05, 2014, 05:29:48 PM »
Here's one from when I worked for MajorBank:

Cash a $40,000 cashier's check without calling to verify it.  Have check turn out to be a (very good) counterfeit with the original already cashed. Bank is out $40k and you're out of a job.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Cherry91

« Reply #5679 on: May 05, 2014, 05:56:31 PM »
Black Milk.  Not sure I can really add to that article, but it's a good analysis of how NOT to deal with a company social media campaign.

(Short version: a clothing company - which has made a brand based on respecting women's bodies of all shapes and sizes - posts a "cute" photo which some people see as size-shaming.  The company social media team, instead of apologizing or addressing it, essentially say "lol unfollow us then" and ban a bunch of people trying to discuss the issue.)

Oh, that's disappointing, I was planning on getting one of their Mass Effect N7 dresses when I had the money for a splurge. I think I'll save for an official Bioware N7 hoodie instead...

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5680 on: May 05, 2014, 07:51:06 PM »

Oh, that's disappointing, I was planning on getting one of their Mass Effect N7 dresses when I had the money for a splurge. I think I'll save for an official Bioware N7 hoodie instead...

They make that?! Hello and welcome to my Christmas wish list!!
Jen wanders off to google what other ME clothing she can find...

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5681 on: May 05, 2014, 09:19:22 PM »
DH and I and our costuming group appeared at a screening over the weekend. An official photographer turned up from the production company that owns the rights. We had no warning she was coming, we had no idea who she was until after she started ordering us about in a very brusque manner and was telling members of the public (who wanted photos, of course) to get out of the way. She also tried to get us to pose in strange ways that were unlike what our costumes, particularly DH as his best pose is standing still and looking mysterious.

After we had changed and were sitting in the cinema, she came in with her camera looking for us and was quite annoyed that we were out of costume. Well, she didn't tell us she wanted photos inside, had she done so those of us who could safely sit might have stayed in costume for a little longer to oblige the company...despite her still being very rude.

Our contact with the company is higher up than her and will be getting a call about her behavior when the contact returns from leave.

What didn't help either was the leader another costuming group, not us but was strongly affiliated with us, got star struck by the photographer and started ordering us and people from his group around including criticizing a nice guy in a really good costume. He and his friends were invited by us, I don't think we will be doing it again.

Cherry91

« Reply #5682 on: May 06, 2014, 03:34:44 AM »

They make that?! Hello and welcome to my Christmas wish list!!
Jen wanders off to google what other ME clothing she can find...

This is the one I've been eyeing on and off for quite some time...

http://www.biowarestore.com/apparel/womens/hoodies/ladies-n7-armour-stripe-angl-hoody.html

eltf177

« Reply #5683 on: May 06, 2014, 06:14:51 AM »
Here's one from when I worked for MajorBank:

Cash a $40,000 cashier's check without calling to verify it.  Have check turn out to be a (very good) counterfeit with the original already cashed. Bank is out $40k and you're out of a job.

Was the bank ever able to track down the forger and get the money back/press charges?

Cherry91

« Reply #5684 on: May 06, 2014, 08:12:31 AM »
My employer from a few pages previously has another one.

She's asked me to come to a promotional event that her company is participating in. Problem is, it's early tomorrow morning, and she sent me a message about it today. So about 24 hours notice.

This is the second time she's told me she wants me at something less than a day before, and then she tells me off if I'm late (because due to the short notice I'd arranged to be at something else) or don't reply instantly. It has apparently never occurred to her that if I don't send a response, there might be a reason for it, like being on the tube or in a situation where it'd be rude to have my phone out.

I'm starting to suspect I know the reason for her high staff turnover if she does this to her full time staff. This will certainly be the one and only project I do for her.