Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1374253 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5685 on: May 06, 2014, 01:18:57 PM »
My employer from a few pages previously has another one.

She's asked me to come to a promotional event that her company is participating in. Problem is, it's early tomorrow morning, and she sent me a message about it today. So about 24 hours notice.

This is the second time she's told me she wants me at something less than a day before, and then she tells me off if I'm late (because due to the short notice I'd arranged to be at something else) or don't reply instantly. It has apparently never occurred to her that if I don't send a response, there might be a reason for it, like being on the tube or in a situation where it'd be rude to have my phone out.

I'm starting to suspect I know the reason for her high staff turnover if she does this to her full time staff. This will certainly be the one and only project I do for her.

Call her out on it..politely of course.  Also email is there for YOUR convenience, not hers. 

mmswm

« Reply #5686 on: May 06, 2014, 01:26:48 PM »
Here's one from when I worked for MajorBank:

Cash a $40,000 cashier's check without calling to verify it.  Have check turn out to be a (very good) counterfeit with the original already cashed. Bank is out $40k and you're out of a job.

Was the bank ever able to track down the forger and get the money back/press charges?

It was out of my hands once I turned it over to fraud.  This is an offense with no second chances, so there's no way the teller kept her job, but beyond that, I have no idea what happened.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5687 on: May 07, 2014, 09:08:12 AM »
We have a staff member that is both fairly new in her position and does not understand the background of the new project she is trying to implement. On top of that, she has applied for three high level positions she does not have the experience required to be in.

My bosses are reining in the new project as it violates a few parts of the eduction right to privacy act.  :o

MissRose

« Reply #5688 on: May 13, 2014, 06:16:00 PM »
The co-workers by me who talk incessantly to each other instead of taking calls when it is busy as heck.  It irritates me to no end because we are a small department, and have an idea when others take breaks and lunches.  I need to get a good spine and go talk to a manager who can nip it in the bud as I am sick of hearing customers complain about wait times lately.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5689 on: May 13, 2014, 06:47:25 PM »
The receptionist who blew off an applicants calls 4 times in 3 days, even though the applicant had a valid question. It ended up escalating and it was not necessary. Grr.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5690 on: May 13, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
I was called for a job interview and the person setting up my appointment kept emphasizing not to bring friends, family, or children. Made me think that was a big problem in the past since she made such a point about it several times.

Library Dragon

« Reply #5691 on: May 13, 2014, 09:24:44 PM »
As always mis-treating frontline staff will not get you far.  In this case checking out a brand new book, returning it still wet, screaming at the teenage circulation clerk, and demanding your membership in the Friends of the Library be returned.  It will be remembered and shared when you turn in your application.

I wish I could say it was only one person this month.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

SDG31000

« Reply #5692 on: May 14, 2014, 06:18:52 AM »
I volunteer at a local charity shop/thrift store and had to be a witness for the manager on Monday.

One of the other volunteers had been seen going into the toilet with a photo album, and then after quite a long time in there, exiting without it.
The manager confronted her at the end of the day and asked where it was.  It was in her bag along with a pair of shorts and she had a book in her tabard pocket that she was going to leave with as well.  The cost of the things she took was only 3.25.  That 3.25 has cost her the position at the shop which she counted on to help with her benefit claim and the reference she has given to at least 3 jobs she has recently applied for.
Head office has been notified and time will tell if they are going to press charges against her.

doodlemor

« Reply #5693 on: May 14, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »
I volunteer at a local charity shop/thrift store and had to be a witness for the manager on Monday.

One of the other volunteers had been seen going into the toilet with a photo album, and then after quite a long time in there, exiting without it.
The manager confronted her at the end of the day and asked where it was.  It was in her bag along with a pair of shorts and she had a book in her tabard pocket that she was going to leave with as well.  The cost of the things she took was only 3.25.  That 3.25 has cost her the position at the shop which she counted on to help with her benefit claim and the reference she has given to at least 3 jobs she has recently applied for.
Head office has been notified and time will tell if they are going to press charges against her.

Would that be in the $5 USD range?  I'm always amazed that anyone would risk their reputation or their job for a paltry sum.  Ugh - this person must be totally dishonest.

Shalamar

« Reply #5694 on: May 14, 2014, 11:17:46 AM »
I was called for a job interview and the person setting up my appointment kept emphasizing not to bring friends, family, or children. Made me think that was a big problem in the past since she made such a point about it several times.

Yikes.   :o

In a way, that reminds me of the Christmas party my company throws every year for employees' children.  We had to introduce a ticket system last year - in other words, each family gets a maximum of two adult tickets (unlimited tickets for children), and woe betide you if you forget to bring yours - we won't let you in.  Why?  Because the year before that, someone brought pretty much everyone in his family to the party - grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. - and they ate all the food, leaving nothing for anyone else. 

eltf177

« Reply #5695 on: May 14, 2014, 12:06:58 PM »

Yikes.   :o

In a way, that reminds me of the Christmas party my company throws every year for employees' children.  We had to introduce a ticket system last year - in other words, each family gets a maximum of two adult tickets (unlimited tickets for children), and woe betide you if you forget to bring yours - we won't let you in.  Why?  Because the year before that, someone brought pretty much everyone in his family to the party - grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. - and they ate all the food, leaving nothing for anyone else.

I certainly hope this ended with PD on the part of their "host"!

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #5696 on: May 14, 2014, 12:26:47 PM »
What a long thread to get through!

My PD employee was something.  I worked at a company that went through lots of employees.  I, too, was eventually laid off.  The employer had laid off two Purple employees in one round.  One of the Purple employees was suing the company for unjust termination with racial concerns thrown in.  (This Purple employee had a very strong and valid case.)  My PD was Purple and seemed to be aware of the pending lawsuit, although it was very hush-hush.

PD's less egregious sin was abusing free food.  For an employee's first day or last day, I could take the team to lunch on the company.  Nice, right?  Normally, we'd all get burgers or some-such nice lunchy food.  PD always got the most expensive option (normally a dinner steak).  He'd always ask for a beer, which I'd explain I couldn't expense and he would need to purchase.  (My boss didn't believe in expensing alcohol at lunch and I don't think that was the worst idea he had.)  This is all fine, except at some point, he'd order a second meal.  So, when I got the check, his doggy bag of a second meal would arrive -- you guessed it, another high end steak. 

His real problems came from bullying the interns (one young man was in HR in tears!), 'hostile workplace environment' (which is a serious HR law -- he talked about women inappropriately), and full on s3xual harassment, where he tried to solicit relations between 3 different women, his girlfriend and himself.  HR doesn't have a file on him -- they have a whole drawer on his complaints.

I've been gone for 3 years (laid off to my glee).  He's still there!
Formerly Mrs.Bart

alkira6

« Reply #5697 on: May 14, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »
His real problems came from bullying the interns (one young man was in HR in tears!), 'hostile workplace environment' (which is a serious HR law -- he talked about women inappropriately), and full on s3xual harassment, where he tried to solicit relations between 3 different women, his girlfriend and himself.  HR doesn't have a file on him -- they have a whole drawer on his complaints.

Does this company want to get sued?!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5698 on: May 14, 2014, 03:08:30 PM »
Wow, that is pretty bad.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #5699 on: May 14, 2014, 03:12:08 PM »

Does this company want to get sued?!

I've been gone for 3 years.  When I was still his manager, the company was more scared of a purple class action lawsuit for discrimination than the likelihood of a sexual harassment suit.  I think the management thought they could pay off the women if necessary (two were lower paid admins, but one was a QA analyst)  for a lot less money than a judge would need.  They should NEVER have hired him in the first place.
Formerly Mrs.Bart