Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1339672 times)

becktheriddler

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5805 on: May 24, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »
I work at a bank. Apparently, that has confused some people into thinking for some reason that I want to commit PD. To wit:

1. The customer (A) who is friends with a coworker. She is filing for divorce, and just asked me to provide a list of accounts in her husband's (not her) name so that her attorney has the information. Um mm, no thank you.
2. The customer (B) who wants me to write to the local paper telling about an incident involving another customer (C) that he witnessed. Customer (C) is a bit odd and has a tendency to go off now and again, and apparently customer (C) and customer (B)'s mother are feuding neighbors. "If I was just to write to the paper and tell about it, everyone could see how crazy he is". Again, no thank you. There are these thing called privacy laws, and confidentiality. I would rather not violate these.
By Grabthat's Hammer...what a savings!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #5806 on: May 24, 2014, 06:23:52 PM »
The Sweetie had a mixup with arrangements for a sales booth at a local festival. She asked the agent to stay there while she drove down to fix things up. When she got there a half-hour later, he'd gone.

She called him just now to, among other things, tell him that wasn't acceptable. She got an earful of "You messed up" and "I don't have to take this!" and the most ironic one, "You're unprofessional! (F-bomb) you!" *click*
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5807 on: May 24, 2014, 09:10:27 PM »
Anyone who works there is covered, even if they are not medical personnel.

I didn't realize that. I didn't think people like the cook and the janitor are covered.

Years ago, a friend of mine who was a hospital janitor told me that one of her co-workers was fired when she was caught reading charts that were sitting on a desk in an office she was cleaning.  Now, it could be argued that the charts shouldn't have been left out on the desk, but the office was locked.  She also knew that being caught reading charts was a fireable offense when she was hired, as it was part of the briefing (according to my friend.)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5808 on: May 24, 2014, 11:22:43 PM »
The cleaning staff for our university building was 'reassigned' after they consumed food that had been purchased for a morning event the next day. What was most disturbing is that they went through the boxes of food and took particular items.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #5809 on: May 25, 2014, 06:53:37 AM »
Speaking of reassignments:

At one branch of my library system, a little boy went up to the circulation desk to ask for something. There was a small line- but the little boy's request was not something long (probably something small like where the bathroom was). The library assistant told him he needed to wait in line like everyone else- and not in a very nice way, something like "don't bother me, you have to go in line" (I do not know the exact words- this was relayed to me). The boy (or his family) went to the librarian in charge, and she dismissed them saying that the assistant was doing the job.

Well, the family went to another branch and complained. Head of second branch takes complaint and calls chief. But the family complains to administration and it makes it all the way to the top.

Both the assistant and librarian get immediately transferred to other branches in other regions. I do not know if there was any other discipline, such as written reprimands. Neither got suspended (nor worse). To me, that seemed like an odd way to discipline someone at first- especially since neither one of them got assigned to branches that other staff members tend to avoid, or anything like that. Librarian was near retirement- and she has since retired. Transfers also involved other staff members being shuffled around- the ones I am aware of liked their new locations, but not sure if everyone did.
I have pet mice!

SoCalVal

« Reply #5810 on: May 25, 2014, 12:54:29 PM »
Speaking of reassignments:

At one branch of my library system, a little boy went up to the circulation desk to ask for something. There was a small line- but the little boy's request was not something long (probably something small like where the bathroom was). The library assistant told him he needed to wait in line like everyone else- and not in a very nice way, something like "don't bother me, you have to go in line" (I do not know the exact words- this was relayed to me). The boy (or his family) went to the librarian in charge, and she dismissed them saying that the assistant was doing the job.

Well, the family went to another branch and complained. Head of second branch takes complaint and calls chief. But the family complains to administration and it makes it all the way to the top.

Both the assistant and librarian get immediately transferred to other branches in other regions. I do not know if there was any other discipline, such as written reprimands. Neither got suspended (nor worse). To me, that seemed like an odd way to discipline someone at first- especially since neither one of them got assigned to branches that other staff members tend to avoid, or anything like that. Librarian was near retirement- and she has since retired. Transfers also involved other staff members being shuffled around- the ones I am aware of liked their new locations, but not sure if everyone did.

Maybe to "appease" the family that complained? (the original branch could've been their regular branch so they moved the two employees where the family wouldn't deal with them anymore)

I know, in CA at least, one of the government agencies uses transferring employees as a way of reprimanding them or getting rid of them.  It's hard to terminate government employees, but transferring someone (actually moving that person's job) or eliminating that person's job is a legitimate way of handling the problem.  When an employee is informed his/her job is moving, say, from San Diego to San Jose, the choice is either move with your job or resign.  Either way, the problem employee is removed from that particular office and the employee gets to experience upheaval as punishment (the degree of which is up to the employee since he/she could either find another job or have to relocate).

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #5811 on: May 26, 2014, 10:14:50 AM »
I dearly hope this ends in PD for these people...

Four co - workers of mine just decided not to show up to work last night. So, we had two concessions people, and I had to be moved to usher just to get all the auditoriums cleaned on time, making two ushers. Oh, and we had a manager, who was so scared that we would completely collapse and burn that I thought she might be sick.

I have never been so angry at four people in my whole life. Yes, we got through the end of the night, but we had to get hundreds of people into 10 auditoriums in less than an hour with five people on the clock, during the busiest rush we have of the night. What would possess you to think you could just not show up, without even so much as a call to your boss?
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5812 on: May 26, 2014, 11:32:16 AM »
It was very busy at the theater Saturday, so I can see why that would be a big problem.

andi

« Reply #5813 on: May 26, 2014, 02:06:27 PM »
Hugs Violinp. We're in a similar boat at my store today.  Holiday Monday and I have 3 no call/no shows and 1 call out. All before noon.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #5814 on: May 26, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
That reminds me of a former manager who prior to a long holiday weekend would remind staff that as far as she was concerned the only acceptable reason to not show up for work the day after the holiday was if you were calling in dead.  Just as a joke, but it made the point: Don't call in sick for anything less than dire illness.  Days after a long holiday weekend are nightmarish as it is.

And violin, you have my deepest sympathies.  That is hard.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #5815 on: May 26, 2014, 07:29:55 PM »
Years ago, a friend of mine who was a hospital janitor told me that one of her co-workers was fired when she was caught reading charts that were sitting on a desk in an office she was cleaning.  Now, it could be argued that the charts shouldn't have been left out on the desk, but the office was locked.  She also knew that being caught reading charts was a fireable offense when she was hired, as it was part of the briefing (according to my friend.)

This happened to someone I worked in a nursing school & it got ugly. We had a full-time faculty member in the hospital with an illness. A part-time faculty member supervising our students at the same hospital noticed the full-time faculty was in the hospital & opened full-time faculty member's chart to read it :o >:(  No, part-time faculty did not have any reason to read the chart as our students were not assigned to that floor & even if they were they would not have been assigned to full-time faculty.

Full-time faculty member finds out, raises a stink; our dean & faculty finds out & raises a stink; part-time faculty member is fired from our school & gets serious reprimands from hospital. The kicker was that part-time faculty member tried to deny the whole incident & appeal but Epic doesn't lie & is in place just for situations like this. Plus everything they said just didn't add up, even my non-nurse self could figure it out.

SoCalVal

« Reply #5816 on: May 26, 2014, 07:36:44 PM »

This happened to someone I worked in a nursing school & it got ugly. We had a full-time faculty member in the hospital with an illness. A part-time faculty member supervising our students at the same hospital noticed the full-time faculty was in the hospital & opened full-time faculty member's chart to read it :o >:(  No, part-time faculty did not have any reason to read the chart as our students were not assigned to that floor & even if they were they would not have been assigned to full-time faculty.

Full-time faculty member finds out, raises a stink; our dean & faculty finds out & raises a stink; part-time faculty member is fired from our school & gets serious reprimands from hospital. The kicker was that part-time faculty member tried to deny the whole incident & appeal but Epic doesn't lie & is in place just for situations like this. Plus everything they said just didn't add up, even my non-nurse self could figure it out.

Is Epic the app with the "break the glass" feature?  We have it at work, but I don't know what it is that has that feature (where the app essentially tracks who opened a patient's medical record -- employees are even not allowed to open their own without going through the proper channels for access).  Your PT faculty member knew darned well what he/she was doing was wrong.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5817 on: May 26, 2014, 10:33:37 PM »
Side note, I had lunch with Judy Faulker back in February.  It was awesome

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #5818 on: May 26, 2014, 11:18:15 PM »
The weirdest part of that story is that his now-wife is also charged with helping him harass his ex-fiancée.

Seriously, what's going on in someone's head who thinks marrying a man who does things like that is a good idea?

When I was in college, there was a Peeping Tom (with binoculars) in a men's dorm across a parking lot from a women's dorm.  His girlfriend thought it was just the funniest thing ever and wasn't he clever.   :o

Margo

« Reply #5819 on: May 27, 2014, 05:07:44 AM »
The weirdest part of that story is that his now-wife is also charged with helping him harass his ex-fiancée.

Seriously, what's going on in someone's head who thinks marrying a man who does things like that is a good idea?

I imagine that the mind set is something like "Well, he'd never do anything like that to me. His ex deserved it because she was so horrible to him"
It's like people who start relationships with someone who is married / in a relationship and they are shocked and disbelieving when the same person then cheats on them.