Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1369112 times)

Seven Ate Nine

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5820 on: May 27, 2014, 08:36:49 AM »
Anyone who works there is covered, even if they are not medical personnel.

I didn't realize that. I didn't think people like the cook and the janitor are covered.

Years ago, a friend of mine who was a hospital janitor told me that one of her co-workers was fired when she was caught reading charts that were sitting on a desk in an office she was cleaning.  Now, it could be argued that the charts shouldn't have been left out on the desk, but the office was locked.  She also knew that being caught reading charts was a fireable offense when she was hired, as it was part of the briefing (according to my friend.)

In the hospitals that I have worked, all charts and things with PII on them need to be locked up when you weren't there working on them.  I believe that the rule was that it needed to be in a locked desk unless your office was locked (not just had a lock, but was actually locked).  I worked in secure areas, where even the cleaning staff was not able to get in on their own, and we didn't even have the space to lock up all of the information that we worked with.  It got left out overnight, and the alarm was set.

greencat

« Reply #5821 on: May 27, 2014, 05:00:26 PM »
New coworker is at it again.  Besides the fact that I've had to explain the same fairly simple problem to him three weeks in a row, he has now decided to describe, in writing in an internal system, a person who dropped off a form for someone else as "unknown hottie."  New coworker will hopefully be former coworker soon.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5822 on: May 27, 2014, 05:17:30 PM »
New coworker is at it again.  Besides the fact that I've had to explain the same fairly simple problem to him three weeks in a row, he has now decided to describe, in writing in an internal system, a person who dropped off a form for someone else as "unknown hottie."  New coworker will hopefully be former coworker soon.

Please tell me his boss gets to see that entry.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5823 on: May 27, 2014, 05:43:04 PM »

CRUD MONKEYS! that made me laugh and I choked on my cranberry juice.  :P
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

greencat

« Reply #5824 on: May 27, 2014, 05:46:05 PM »

CRUD MONKEYS! that made me laugh and I choked on my cranberry juice.  :P

Our boss is back tomorrow.  I fully intend to draw her attention to it.

HorseFreak

« Reply #5825 on: May 27, 2014, 08:03:17 PM »
This is a continuation of a post from Unwarranted Demands for Loyalty: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=132269.msg3120574#msg3120574

My boss continues to commit PD and hemorrhage staff. This month alone our best technical staff member and a low-level, but necessary and only person on that level, staff member have quit and we have no replacements save very inexperienced college students here for the summer who aren't exactly motivated.

That leaves us down to one technical staff member two days a week who is actually reliable and one who comes in once a week and is unreliable. And no one else. We require at least two full time (preferably three) and 1-2 full time non-technical employees to keep Boss from losing her mind and throwing things/slamming doors/having a hissy fit. We actually need more as we as expanding by 50%. We also severely need a high level technical associate as Boss does not wish to cover on call anymore, but refuses to hire anyone with experience.

The newest issue is her throwing a fit about working with all these people who haven't a clue and having our office manager send out a text at 6 pm tonight saying there's a mandatory 8 am meeting tomorrow. On my day off and at least two other staff members'. I admit to getting a little testy about it.

I will not be attending. I'm 100% sure I will not be fired, but will receive some PA blow back from it. My resume is going out tonight. The camel's back is shaking from the weight of the straw. I have a LOT to do tomorrow including prepping my old car for sale ASAP, doctor's appointment and a meeting at the dealership where I bought my new car to learn how to use those new-fangled techie thingies.

ETA: Boss turned down a very easy-going, qualified, experienced technical candidate who asked for no more than the pittance we pay because she wasn't "polished" enough. *hits head on wall*
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:23:23 PM by HorseFreak »

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5826 on: May 27, 2014, 09:57:51 PM »
I have a really really odd question for you all, and what better place to ask than the PD thread?

So I applied for job. There is no way to get in contact with these people. No way whatsoever to show my interest in the job. So a few friends and I are going to be in that part of town tomorrow. They have said that I should walk in and inquire as to the status of my application as it would show interest. Something about that is screaming 'Professional Darwinism Candidate' to me. Am I off on my thinking?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5827 on: May 27, 2014, 09:59:05 PM »
I have a really really odd question for you all, and what better place to ask than the PD thread?

So I applied for job. There is no way to get in contact with these people. No way whatsoever to show my interest in the job. So a few friends and I are going to be in that part of town tomorrow. They have said that I should walk in and inquire as to the status of my application as it would show interest. Something about that is screaming 'Professional Darwinism Candidate' to me. Am I off on my thinking?

How did you apply?   ???

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5828 on: May 27, 2014, 10:26:05 PM »

How did you apply?   ???

They had a job fair. walked into the plaza, walked into the room where the job fair was, filled out a "mini app" went for a "mini interview" took tests on computers, and if i weren't a rehire, i wou;d have gone in for the interview and had the drug tests done right there. However I am a rehire, so they said they'd call me within a week. Its been three.

Edited to fix the quote tree.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:54:33 PM by Nikko-chan »

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #5829 on: May 27, 2014, 10:52:53 PM »
PD has been exploding around my workplace in the past week.  Front page of paper, taking up half the parliamentary session time, hogging the daily news reports exploding. 

It is now public knowledge, so I suppose there's no harm putting a link in...

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/integrity-commission-report-reveals-health-bosses-special-deals-for-special-mates/story-fnj4f7k1-1226933762323

My direct manager, he of the 'ignore your employees, forget about your HR responsibilities, badmouth your employees to everyone' post I made some time back, is only here because she came here.  He's still employed by the NW, but apparently our site (S) pays his travel allowances, part of his salary and accommodation as part of one of these 'special deals' which hasn't been mentioned thus far.  Now Manager has been called to a meeting with the new acting CEO.  I would love to be a fly on the wall!

I will also mention that neither my colleagues nor I have been interviewed by the Commission, but we do have a stack of documents that may well come into play at some stage.

This is going to get very interesting...

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #5830 on: May 28, 2014, 05:11:36 AM »
The weirdest part of that story is that his now-wife is also charged with helping him harass his ex-fiancée.

Seriously, what's going on in someone's head who thinks marrying a man who does things like that is a good idea?

I imagine that the mind set is something like "Well, he'd never do anything like that to me. His ex deserved it because she was so horrible to him"
It's like people who start relationships with someone who is married / in a relationship and they are shocked and disbelieving when the same person then cheats on them.
See my guess would be because wife is the exact same type of person who'd do the exact same thing with an ex of hers.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 05:15:59 AM by iridaceae »

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #5831 on: May 28, 2014, 05:14:49 PM »
The weirdest part of that story is that his now-wife is also charged with helping him harass his ex-fiancée.

Seriously, what's going on in someone's head who thinks marrying a man who does things like that is a good idea?

I imagine that the mind set is something like "Well, he'd never do anything like that to me. His ex deserved it because she was so horrible to him"
It's like people who start relationships with someone who is married / in a relationship and they are shocked and disbelieving when the same person then cheats on them.
See my guess would be because wife is the exact same type of person who'd do the exact same thing with an ex of hers.
My theory is that this is like those killer couples.  Individually, although they have hefty anti-social tendencies, they don't have the nerve to act on them.  But together, they give each other courage and the feeling that all this nastiness is something "special" that the two of them share.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

goldilocks

« Reply #5832 on: May 28, 2014, 05:25:31 PM »

Are you sure you are eligible for rehire?   
How did you apply?   ???

They had a job fair. walked into the plaza, walked into the room where the job fair was, filled out a "mini app" went for a "mini interview" took tests on computers, and if i weren't a rehire, i wou;d have gone in for the interview and had the drug tests done right there. However I am a rehire, so they said they'd call me within a week. Its been three.

Edited to fix the quote tree.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #5833 on: May 28, 2014, 06:24:36 PM »
Years ago, a friend of mine who was a hospital janitor told me that one of her co-workers was fired when she was caught reading charts that were sitting on a desk in an office she was cleaning.  Now, it could be argued that the charts shouldn't have been left out on the desk, but the office was locked.  She also knew that being caught reading charts was a fireable offense when she was hired, as it was part of the briefing (according to my friend.)

This happened to someone I worked in a nursing school & it got ugly. We had a full-time faculty member in the hospital with an illness. A part-time faculty member supervising our students at the same hospital noticed the full-time faculty was in the hospital & opened full-time faculty member's chart to read it :o >:(  No, part-time faculty did not have any reason to read the chart as our students were not assigned to that floor & even if they were they would not have been assigned to full-time faculty.

Full-time faculty member finds out, raises a stink; our dean & faculty finds out & raises a stink; part-time faculty member is fired from our school & gets serious reprimands from hospital. The kicker was that part-time faculty member tried to deny the whole incident & appeal but Epic doesn't lie & is in place just for situations like this. Plus everything they said just didn't add up, even my non-nurse self could figure it out.

Is Epic the app with the "break the glass" feature?  We have it at work, but I don't know what it is that has that feature (where the app essentially tracks who opened a patient's medical record -- employees are even not allowed to open their own without going through the proper channels for access).  Your PT faculty member knew darned well what he/she was doing was wrong.
I use Epic at work--there's the "break the glass" feature (very annoying since most of the time the reason I'm doing it is so I can view whether we got a scan of the pt's insurance card to verify the info was correct (correct plan, electronic payor id, get the phone # to call the insurance, etc).  But there is also an audit history (or something like that) that details everywhere I (and everyone else who has been in the acct) has been.  When they brought this in, they *told* us all in training about the audit feature and advised us that unless we have a common last name, being in the acct of someone w/ same last name would flag for review (family members, but I don't think they use this for people who have last names that are in the top 10 most common in the county) as well as people who are neighbors.

I mean, it's one thing to know that a co-worker is a patient because the two people are friends/socialize outside of work, but satisfying curiosity is just right out.  Everyone who works in a hospital in any capacity should have learned that already.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #5834 on: May 28, 2014, 06:30:33 PM »
What does "break the glass" mean with Epic?

(For the civilians here, Epic is an electronic management system for health-care records. I know *about* it because I work at a biomedical university, but I'm not on the medical end of things so I've never actually seen it in use.)
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.