Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1340576 times)

mmswm

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5850 on: June 04, 2014, 11:02:47 AM »
At the hotel I work at I had to sign a confidentiailty agreement shortly after I started; it is not unknown for us to get celebrities here.

What does surprise people is that the front desk doesn't gossip much about the celebrity as if they are here they want quiet and privacy- we are a hotel where if you want privacy we respect that and are very lowkey all the way around- we tend to gossip about the jerk in 1234 or how adorable the bride and groom checking in were or if you've seen 2345's dog: it's ginormous!

I work for the FEP division of Carefirs of MD, which does government employee insurance, and we still have a dedicated employee, vetted by the government, who handles the People You May Have Heard Of. Once or twice a year we got people like that -- things do slip through -- and if we get them we're pretty much told to take them directly to our managers, who will then take them to the processor in question, and not to discuss it with anyone.

Fortunately, no one I know of's been dumb enough to say, "I got Congressman X! Did you know he has Creeping Crud syndrome?" Which would elicit the response of, in the words of Rupert Giles: "Allow me to answer that question with a firing."

Rob

I'm the one in room 2345 with the ginormous dog. lol.

As for the gossiping about celebrity accounts, that's one of the reasons why we tended to refer to customers with generic terms like "this customer" or "this account holder" when discussing accounts with colleagues, as sometimes discussion was required to solve a problem.  If you leave out the names, there's no chance that things will dissolve into anything beyond what's required to solve the issue with the account.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #5851 on: June 04, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »
Many, many years ago, before everything was electronic, I had a friend who worked for a state department of motor vehicles. My friend's unit was the one that actually stuffed drivers licenses in envelopes and mailed them out. They had a couple of "trophy boards." One was copies of celebrities' licenses; the other was licenses with "interesting" photos--people they thought were unusually ugly, funny, or weird.

This had been going on for many years until there was a well-publiczed incident where someone illicitly obtained the home address of a celebrity from the DMV by posing as a cop, and used the info to stalk the celebrity. As part of the process of tightening up access to DMV information, someone had the sense to look at the trophy boards and say "Great Scott! These have to go!" They were very lucky that no employee had done something like sell celebrity addresses and photos to a sleazy tabloid.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Hillia

« Reply #5852 on: June 04, 2014, 03:34:20 PM »
DS just wrote up an employee for various offenses, one of which was failing to perform specific tasks as part of the daily closing process.  These tasks are written in a binder kept on the front desk, available and known to everyone; there's really no excuse for not knowing where to find the list if you need it.

The employee's immediate supervisor was present during the counseling session.  After it was over, the employee left for the day and Supervisor was getting ready to start the daily close.  She looked at DS and said, 'Well, Task 3 of the closing process can wait for tomorrow' and started to gather her things.  When DS picked his jaw up the floor, he said, 'Did you not hear me just counsel Employee for not performing all the closing tasks?  Task 3 needs to be done tonight, just like every other task on every other night!'

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #5853 on: June 04, 2014, 05:36:09 PM »
Looking at records reminds me of when I worked at a bank. One day, an employee found out a major celebrity was a customer and looked up the file. The employee wasn't up to anything; just got blinded by celebrity. Of course we  all have to look up dozens, even hundreds, of customers a day, but some customers are flagged and you better have a real reason for accessing those account. I'm don't recall if they were fired or just got into major trouble.

Many years ago, I worked at a hospital in Kansas City. The Royals were in the World Series and their star player had an unfortunate attack of hemorrhoids, which necessitated his being admitted and treated surgically. (This was all publicly reported in the media at the time). The day of his surgery, scrub suits mysteriously vanished, to the point that people who had legitimate reasons for needing a surgical scrub suit were unable to find one. (Each area that used scrubs had their own color/style, so that someone in OB/GYN scrubs would immediately stand out in the General Surgery area, for example). The only logical explanation was that people had stolen them so they could sneak into the surgical area and peep into the OR.
Not all the suits were returned the day after the surgery, so scrub suits were short for a few weeks until replacements arrived.

Oh yeah! I remember that! Poor George.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5854 on: June 04, 2014, 07:19:55 PM »
The healthcare insurance company I used to work for handled the NFL player's union behavioral health insurance.  Every so often, a player would pop up in our system as needing a review when they didn't, and my team had to go in and put authorizations in to the system so it wouldn't keep popping up.  It was a total coincidence, but my team was actually perfectly suited to this, since none of us cared about football or knew enough about it to even recognize the names we saw.  I'm sure someone who cared about the game would have been very tempted to know that *insert player name here* was dealing with *insert behavioral issue here*.  We saw those and said, "AGAIN?!?  Dave, you have to deal with this one, I had to do all the authorizations for the last one and it took me forever!"  :D

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #5855 on: June 04, 2014, 08:49:50 PM »
Many, many years ago, before everything was electronic, I had a friend who worked for a state department of motor vehicles. My friend's unit was the one that actually stuffed drivers licenses in envelopes and mailed them out. They had a couple of "trophy boards." One was copies of celebrities' licenses; the other was licenses with "interesting" photos--people they thought were unusually ugly, funny, or weird.

This had been going on for many years until there was a well-publiczed incident where someone illicitly obtained the home address of a celebrity from the DMV by posing as a cop, and used the info to stalk the celebrity. As part of the process of tightening up access to DMV information, someone had the sense to look at the trophy boards and say "Great Scott! These have to go!" They were very lucky that no employee had done something like sell celebrity addresses and photos to a sleazy tabloid.

Drivers licenses have addresses on them in the US? So you need a new one every time you move?

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5856 on: June 04, 2014, 08:53:45 PM »
Drivers licenses have addresses on them in Australia, it's the easiest way to find some one if they lose their wallet.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5857 on: June 04, 2014, 08:55:54 PM »

Drivers licenses have addresses on them in the US? So you need a new one every time you move?

Yep, every time you move, you go and get a new one.  I think you're supposed to do it within 30 days or so.  At least, that's how it is in the states I've lived in. 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5858 on: June 04, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »

Yup! :)  Although in my state you can get a card to keep in your wallet with your new address.  And then you update your address when you go to renew your license.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #5859 on: June 04, 2014, 09:01:50 PM »

Yes, you do. Drivers licenses are issued by individual states, so if you move from, say, Delaware to Michigan, you have to get a new license in Michigan.

In addition, if you move to a new address in the same state, you have to change you address, so the state can send you notices about renewing the license or verifying that you really do have car insurance. Police agencies also use licenses for addresses when issuing traffic tickets. If you "forgot" to pay that speeding fine, that is the address they will send the nasty notice to.

Since drivers licenses are the primary government-issued ID in the US, they are also used to prove that you really do live in City X, so are entitled to some service only given to residents--a library card, for instance.

In the US, drivers licenses have an expiration date that varies by locality. So you have to get a new one every few years as a matter of course.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #5860 on: June 04, 2014, 09:05:42 PM »
Interesting :) In Denmark, licenses used to be valid until you're 70 (it's changed recently, but only for new licenses), so having addresses on them would be pretty pointless. Instead we all (everybody, regardless of age) have a social security card with our address.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #5861 on: June 04, 2014, 09:06:34 PM »

Yup! :)  Although in my state you can get a card to keep in your wallet with your new address.  And then you update your address when you go to renew your license.

In my state you get a sticker with the updated info that you put on the back of the licence, which I learned that cops don't always check. (Maybe I should've contested that ticket that had my old address on it...)
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5862 on: June 04, 2014, 09:21:55 PM »

Colorado doesn't even do the card, so long as you update your records with the DMV. Assuming, of course, you are moving in-state. If you move out of state, you definitely need a new license.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5863 on: June 04, 2014, 09:29:26 PM »
Interesting :) In Denmark, licenses used to be valid until you're 70 (it's changed recently, but only for new licenses), so having addresses on them would be pretty pointless. Instead we all (everybody, regardless of age) have a social security card with our address.

It's the opposite in the US. Our social security card don't have addresses, so that never has to update.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #5864 on: June 05, 2014, 12:17:04 AM »
Everyone involved in posting a woman's medical diagnosis and personal information to a facebook group's page was committing PD as far as I can see.

be warned that the name of the group is extremely offensive