Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1411344 times)

Margo

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5865 on: June 05, 2014, 04:16:23 AM »
Interesting :) In Denmark, licenses used to be valid until you're 70 (it's changed recently, but only for new licenses), so having addresses on them would be pretty pointless. Instead we all (everybody, regardless of age) have a social security card with our address.

In the UK driving licences have your address on - the actual licence is valid until you are 70, but the photocard has to be renewed every 10 years, and the address when you move house.

My National Insurance card doesn't have anything except my name and NI number on it, so doesn't need to be updated, I've had the same one since I was 16. although I've never come across any situation where I actually needed to show it to anyone. It's the number, not the card, which is important.

Passport's don't have addresses on, either.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #5866 on: June 05, 2014, 05:25:00 AM »
Interesting :) In Denmark, licenses used to be valid until you're 70 (it's changed recently, but only for new licenses), so having addresses on them would be pretty pointless. Instead we all (everybody, regardless of age) have a social security card with our address.

In the UK driving licences have your address on - the actual licence is valid until you are 70, but the photocard has to be renewed every 10 years, and the address when you move house.

My National Insurance card doesn't have anything except my name and NI number on it, so doesn't need to be updated, I've had the same one since I was 16. although I've never come across any situation where I actually needed to show it to anyone. It's the number, not the card, which is important.

Passport's don't have addresses on, either.
Our South African driver's licences have to be renewed every five years, but we don't have addresses on ours. The traffic department database system does have my address data in it, but it's old. I've tried four times to update my current address with the traffic department, with no luck. I keep submitting the change form and nothing happens.

For ID's we have ID books (like little passport sized booklets), those don't have our addresses in either. I do have an old piece of document tucked into the back of it with my original address when I first got it issued to me at the age of 16, but that's very old and we don't really have anyway of updating that unless we have to get a new ID book (but that only happens if it's stolen/lost/destroyed).

We aren't required to carry any ID that has address details on it. If we need to prove where we live (for accounts or loans) we need to bring in an account or rental agreement or utility bill to prove our address.

Back on topic:

One of my coworkers really really doens't want to be working here anymore. So everytime you ask him to do something, it's all greeted with lots of huffing and sighing and groaning and much rolling of eyes. I'm sorry I'm asking you do things that are within your job description and that you're being paid probably twice my salary to do.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5867 on: June 05, 2014, 08:41:15 AM »
Two employees who have been warned multiple times to make sure any in office or out of the office events are on the shared calendar have not done so again. I think they will both be written up this time.

It makes it so fun for everyone when you go to schedule a meeting, since no one is busy at that time according to the calendar. Then, lo and behold, they have a schedule conflict, which isn't on the calendar!

darling

« Reply #5868 on: June 05, 2014, 10:24:18 AM »
Two employees who have been warned multiple times to make sure any in office or out of the office events are on the shared calendar have not done so again. I think they will both be written up this time.

It makes it so fun for everyone when you go to schedule a meeting, since no one is busy at that time according to the calendar. Then, lo and behold, they have a schedule conflict, which isn't on the calendar!

We ran into this for class scheduling this summer. It's not been a good couple of weeks...

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5869 on: June 05, 2014, 01:30:10 PM »
Looking at records reminds me of when I worked at a bank. One day, an employee found out a major celebrity was a customer and looked up the file. The employee wasn't up to anything; just got blinded by celebrity. Of course we  all have to look up dozens, even hundreds, of customers a day, but some customers are flagged and you better have a real reason for accessing those account. I'm don't recall if they were fired or just got into major trouble.

Many years ago, I worked at a hospital in Kansas City. The Royals were in the World Series and their star player had an unfortunate attack of hemorrhoids, which necessitated his being admitted and treated surgically. (This was all publicly reported in the media at the time). The day of his surgery, scrub suits mysteriously vanished, to the point that people who had legitimate reasons for needing a surgical scrub suit were unable to find one. (Each area that used scrubs had their own color/style, so that someone in OB/GYN scrubs would immediately stand out in the General Surgery area, for example). The only logical explanation was that people had stolen them so they could sneak into the surgical area and peep into the OR.
Not all the suits were returned the day after the surgery, so scrub suits were short for a few weeks until replacements arrived.

Hahaha - I remember this! And ewwww. I don't care HOW much I love a player or celebrity, I DO NOT want to see anything having to do with their posterior or hemmoroids.

Jocelyn

« Reply #5870 on: June 05, 2014, 09:54:53 PM »
Looking at records reminds me of when I worked at a bank. One day, an employee found out a major celebrity was a customer and looked up the file. The employee wasn't up to anything; just got blinded by celebrity. Of course we  all have to look up dozens, even hundreds, of customers a day, but some customers are flagged and you better have a real reason for accessing those account. I'm don't recall if they were fired or just got into major trouble.

Many years ago, I worked at a hospital in Kansas City. The Royals were in the World Series and their star player had an unfortunate attack of hemorrhoids, which necessitated his being admitted and treated surgically. (This was all publicly reported in the media at the time). The day of his surgery, scrub suits mysteriously vanished, to the point that people who had legitimate reasons for needing a surgical scrub suit were unable to find one. (Each area that used scrubs had their own color/style, so that someone in OB/GYN scrubs would immediately stand out in the General Surgery area, for example). The only logical explanation was that people had stolen them so they could sneak into the surgical area and peep into the OR.
Not all the suits were returned the day after the surgery, so scrub suits were short for a few weeks until replacements arrived.

Hahaha - I remember this! And ewwww. I don't care HOW much I love a player or celebrity, I DO NOT want to see anything having to do with their posterior or hemmoroids.
Apparently, the point of curiosity was whether his buttocks were as round and shapely as they appeared to be in his uniform.
Pretty disgusting behavior on the part of health care professionals, IMO, especially as they prevented the OR pharmacist and his assistant from tending to their duties in the OR suite, because they could not find scrub suits to wear.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #5871 on: June 08, 2014, 01:59:26 AM »
The new girl at my job is certifiably nuts. We had some vendors who kept shoving their carts, boxes of products & plastic milk crates into our storage area. Which they aren't supposed to + store management has told them to stop. So the new girl decided she would solve the problem by wheeling the vendors' stuff into the middle of random areas, to get the vendors in trouble with management. And it worked. Several times. She gleefully told me "They wanna scrabble with me, go ahead. I'm crazy. I'll give 'em hell. I'll put up a fight. People mess with me, I'll get back at them."  ??? So she got the bright idea to do that again. Only this time a vendor came up and yelled about "who moved my stuff over there ?! you did ?! you could get me in trouble!" Which turned into her screaming back and forth about "Well don't put you *** over here then. You wanna fight me ?! Bring it on! You wanna tattle on me ? Yeah, you think you can mess with me! I don't give a scrabble!" The only reason she won't get fired is that she ran to one of her friends, a department manager, and made up a story about "You're gonna hear from a vendor about me. And I wasn't do anything, he just started a fight while I was calmly trying to talk to him."  :o

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5872 on: June 08, 2014, 12:36:52 PM »
The military gets an exception on getting new driver's licenses when they move.  It used to be that military spouses had to, but that was changed a few years ago and now we're exempt, too.  Which, thank goodness, because I can only imagine how much time I'd have spent at the DMV in the last few years, with 6 changes of addresses in 5 years.

Margo

« Reply #5873 on: June 08, 2014, 01:26:23 PM »
The military gets an exception on getting new driver's licenses when they move.  It used to be that military spouses had to, but that was changed a few years ago and now we're exempt, too.  Which, thank goodness, because I can only imagine how much time I'd have spent at the DMV in the last few years, with 6 changes of addresses in 5 years.
Mercifully, you don't have to go and do anything in person, here, to renew. You just send off the old licence and a form to the DVLA. If you are just updating the photo, you can do it online using the photo from your passport.

It made me laugh, because the forms for renewing your photocard say very firmly and with great emphasis that to renew by post you must send a photo which is no more than 1 month old. But if you renew online they can use the photo from your passport, provided that it was issued no more than 5 years ago . . .

greencat

« Reply #5874 on: June 09, 2014, 05:21:17 PM »
My new coworker successfully committed PD.  The assorted rude behaviors and incompetency and inability to learn our processes caught up with him.  The most recent one was his failure to properly finish the worksheet my boss sent out to him and myself (because I only started 2 months before he did) - he took three days to do it when it was supposed to be finished by end of shift, and he asked a coworker for some of the answers!  I finished it by myself in about 45 minutes...

MrTango

« Reply #5875 on: June 09, 2014, 08:18:41 PM »
We just had someone announce his candidacy for a PD award.

He's a temp who started last week.  Today, he approached my boss to let her know that he'll need a month off starting in a week for an international trip.  My boss was of course not particularly happy about this and she contacted the temp agency to let them know about the issue.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this temp isn't back in the office tomorrow.

AnnaJ

« Reply #5876 on: June 09, 2014, 09:55:03 PM »

Another teacher- this one in his senior high school- would not allow a student to turn down the AC because if it was not at full blast, she would sweat and ruin the $300 blouse she bought somewhere in Italy.

Mentioning the $300 Italian blouse was pretty special, but I do think the teacher should be able to keep the temperature low enough that she won't sweat through her clothes. The kids can always wear sweaters.

Not very energy-efficient. She could just as easily wear cooler clothing.

My students can show up in booty shorts and abbreviated tops...me, not so much.  We don't have a dress code but the expectation is to dress professionally which is certainly warmer than I dress to cool off at home.   8)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5877 on: June 10, 2014, 01:46:35 PM »
There is a restaurant near my university's campus that used to be a well known American cuisine chain location for more than ten years. For some reason, it closed.

Then it became a Japanese buffet, with sushi and Teppanyaki grill. It was great, but closed after two years.

Then a former football player from my school who had gone into the NFL and some investors made it into a specialty restaurant. It wasn't even open a month.

Now a chain out of Miami has opened there. What's PD? Burger and beer is their primary menu focus. There isn't anything on the menu under $10. Most burgers are $12-20 and that does not include a side dish. This is not a high end market, mostly college students and business professionals during lunch. I don't predict a long life for this location. There is a lot of competition in the area, and in the $6-10 for a complete lunch range. Also, they are right across from a really good burger restaurant.

greencat

« Reply #5878 on: June 10, 2014, 03:06:23 PM »
In addition, the restaurant mentioned above has a beer menu that features cheap beers like Bud and Corona at $6 a bottle, and $12 cocktails.   This area has a $5ish price point on craft beers.

Worse, the decor inside is somewhere between a gutted Texas-style steakhouse and a frat house basement, with most of the tables being big 6-8 tops with bar stools.

I walked in with a friend, sat down, open the menu, looked at it, and stood up and walked out.  The restaurant was nearly empty on a night when most places around were about half-full.  I wonder if they did any market research whatsoever before they opened the location? 

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #5879 on: June 10, 2014, 03:47:17 PM »
$6 for a Bud?!?  :o
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.