News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 15, 2017, 04:20:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3780253 times)

PastryGoddess

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5880 on: June 13, 2014, 09:01:17 AM »
Can you not tell the big boss beforehand, to clue him in?

He's aware of the friction, but he doesn't want to deal with it, so he's mostly pretending like it's not happening.

We ended up going in to his office with one of my coworkers carrying an email on the subject. He realized what we were doing and reiterated that we need to hand in a paper with everything written down, but he didn't actually yell for us not following his instructions, which was nice.

And then, when I got into work this morning, she'd created a document on our shared drive at work, for all of us to write down our suggestions. But when I opened it, she'd already started writing on the doc with "Cindy's thoughts" except that she wrote down EVERYTHING that we collectively brainstormed as her thoughts.

<headdesk>

I really can't stand working with this woman.

I've had this happen on shared documents.  I would just go in and update the document to pull out your own specific thoughts/ideas.  I usually add to my list as well.

Shalamar

« Reply #5881 on: June 13, 2014, 09:45:52 AM »
Arila's story reminded me of when an Arby's opened up close to my house.  I used to like Arby's a lot, and at that time my kids weren't vegetarians, so I figured they'd get a lot of my business.  I stopped in about a week after they opened and ordered typical Arby's fare - roast beef sandwiches, curly fries, and chicken fingers.   They stared as though they'd  never heard of chicken fingers before.  Then they had to find them. Then they told me there'd be a wait (which was fine - that's pretty normal for a place that specializes in roast beef sandwiches).  When the food arrived, it was stone cold - including the chicken fingers which they'd supposedly just made.  The final straw was when I asked for the toys that were supposed to come with the kids' meals.  The clerk sighed in exasperation, pulled out a very dusty box from under the counter, slammed it on the counter (spreading dust everywhere, including on my food) and snapped "HERE.  Take what you want."

I wasn't surprised to see that they'd closed a couple of months later (despite being in a very good location with plenty of parking).

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #5882 on: June 13, 2014, 09:47:58 AM »
Can you not tell the big boss beforehand, to clue him in?

He's aware of the friction, but he doesn't want to deal with it, so he's mostly pretending like it's not happening.

We ended up going in to his office with one of my coworkers carrying an email on the subject. He realized what we were doing and reiterated that we need to hand in a paper with everything written down, but he didn't actually yell for us not following his instructions, which was nice.

And then, when I got into work this morning, she'd created a document on our shared drive at work, for all of us to write down our suggestions. But when I opened it, she'd already started writing on the doc with "Cindy's thoughts" except that she wrote down EVERYTHING that we collectively brainstormed as her thoughts.

<headdesk>

I really can't stand working with this woman.

I've had this happen on shared documents.  I would just go in and update the document to pull out your own specific thoughts/ideas.  I usually add to my list as well.

Ooooh, good idea! I'm going to do that & also mention it to my other 2 coworker. If we all do it, then she's going to be mad at us all equally, or just decide not to get mad, since there's no "bad guy" to pick on and worklife will be better.

Thank you!
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5883 on: June 13, 2014, 12:13:13 PM »
The pens remind me of a great darwinism moment - one of my favorite pens in high school was something that my dad got sent as a promotional item.  (One of those "See how great a job we can do printing your logo on things?" marketing things.)  It was a very nice pen, labeled with "DadsBisnessNome, OurTone, OurCyty."  Well, not those words exactly, but something similar  :P  Like, they didn't get the business name, the town, or the city spelled correctly.  Granted, anyone not local wouldn't necessarily know the town name, but how can you go from "Manitowoc" to "Manilowar" and not notice?

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #5884 on: June 13, 2014, 04:02:08 PM »
The pens remind me of a great darwinism moment - one of my favorite pens in high school was something that my dad got sent as a promotional item.  (One of those "See how great a job we can do printing your logo on things?" marketing things.)  It was a very nice pen, labeled with "DadsBisnessNome, OurTone, OurCyty."  Well, not those words exactly, but something similar  :P  Like, they didn't get the business name, the town, or the city spelled correctly.  Granted, anyone not local wouldn't necessarily know the town name, but how can you go from "Manitowoc" to "Manilowar" and not notice?

"That's how you got that account in Ockoknockomowock!"" Oconomowoc,  yes sir. "<<- old Yellow Pages TV ad from the 90s.
Nothing to see here.

Jocelyn

« Reply #5885 on: June 13, 2014, 09:44:17 PM »
I think that was intended to keep potential customers from handing out the free samples  as advertising...surely there weren't so many inept printers!

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #5886 on: June 14, 2014, 03:58:28 PM »
I think that was intended to keep potential customers from handing out the free samples  as advertising...surely there weren't so many inept printers!
But since the whole point would be to show potential customers a sample of their work, and the promotional things like that are handed out as advertising, purposely misspelling everything would seem to be exceedingly counterproductive.

I have to wonder if the printer was in China (or some other Asian country unfamiliar with Western lettering) and guessing at what those letters actually were.  It wouldn't be out of line to mistake t for l, o for a, and c for r from a hand-printed example, for instance.  I know that in my own lower-case printing, some letters like v and r  look very similar.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

MissRose

« Reply #5887 on: June 15, 2014, 09:49:22 AM »
I just wish this part of a department that handles calls would not try to shove calls into the group I am a part of and we have to end up transferring to the group that has some people in my building and some in another building in another city.  If only they would take a few extra seconds, listen to the customer and plenty of aggravation would be saved.  The biggest one is that they open tickets for internet access lines down, and just because the customer says I cannot get your company line for internet to work & websites won't display does not mean shove them to my department where we help customers with accounts that use our web site & email service component only.  I would think it would be common sense for people to know without internet access, you cannot browse the internet and/or check your email!

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #5888 on: June 17, 2014, 06:38:22 AM »
I just wish this part of a department that handles calls would not try to shove calls into the group I am a part of and we have to end up transferring to the group that has some people in my building and some in another building in another city.  If only they would take a few extra seconds, listen to the customer and plenty of aggravation would be saved.  The biggest one is that they open tickets for internet access lines down, and just because the customer says I cannot get your company line for internet to work & websites won't display does not mean shove them to my department where we help customers with accounts that use our web site & email service component only.  I would think it would be common sense for people to know without internet access, you cannot browse the internet and/or check your email!

I'm not sure I'd toss all of the blame on the people transferring to you.  It can be a customer issue as well.  I worked for awhile taking calls for the pharmacy of a large medical complex.  I'd get calls from patients saying that they needed prescriptions, but they didn't have refills.  I'd determine that they needed to see their dr, and which dr prescribed that particular medication.  I'd give the patient the information and transfer them to scheduling.  Unfortunately, I could not do a "warm transfer" as it would screw up the queuing system.  So I'd send the patient off to the scheduling queue, and when scheduling answered the patient would tell them that they needed a prescription refill.  Scheduling didn't have prescription information and the patient would wind up back in my queue.

MissRose

« Reply #5889 on: June 17, 2014, 10:20:06 AM »

I'm not sure I'd toss all of the blame on the people transferring to you.  It can be a customer issue as well.  I worked for awhile taking calls for the pharmacy of a large medical complex.  I'd get calls from patients saying that they needed prescriptions, but they didn't have refills.  I'd determine that they needed to see their dr, and which dr prescribed that particular medication.  I'd give the patient the information and transfer them to scheduling.  Unfortunately, I could not do a "warm transfer" as it would screw up the queuing system.  So I'd send the patient off to the scheduling queue, and when scheduling answered the patient would tell them that they needed a prescription refill.  Scheduling didn't have prescription information and the patient would wind up back in my queue.

I say if they take 30 extra seconds to ask a few probing questions of the customer, it could save aggravation and wait times in many cases as my department wait times are higher than normal at this time.

Library Dragon

« Reply #5890 on: June 17, 2014, 10:33:06 AM »
Just an obvious statement.  An employee shouldn't be surprised that they are asked to leave if they have been using the company credit card to pay for their home cable bill, rental car for vacation, or throw away cell phones to cover up their extra curricular activities. 

For a local politician, don't be shocked when you loose the primary because a deconstruction project you personally pushed through and supervised had the debris dumped on private land and set on fire.  Yes, the owner of the land is going to be unhappy.  The residents are going to be unhappy that the local government now has to pay to clean up the mess and reimburse the land owner. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

TeamBhakta

« Reply #5891 on: June 17, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »

For a local politician, don't be shocked when you loose the primary because a deconstruction project you personally pushed through and supervised had the debris dumped on private land and set on fire.  Yes, the owner of the land is going to be unhappy.  The residents are going to be unhappy that the local government now has to pay to clean up the mess and reimburse the land owner.

On a similar note: We had a politician declare she did "reconnaissance" and discovered there are no problems with veteran care in our state. Also something about how people need to "butt out" because it's "working just fine" in our state. This same politician also used prisoners to sandbag her home during flooding a few years ago. 

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #5892 on: June 17, 2014, 12:52:39 PM »

I say if they take 30 extra seconds to ask a few probing questions of the customer, it could save aggravation and wait times in many cases as my department wait times are higher than normal at this time.

I had an issue like this when I worked on a support line - and the solution wasn't to change anything about the other department.  It was to tell the customers exactly what to say when they reached the other department so they didn't get transferred back.  So instead of them repeating, "I need help with the widget!" to the other department, I'd tell them that to get the help they were looking for, they needed to say "My widget is broken." 

Cherry91

« Reply #5893 on: June 19, 2014, 04:12:38 AM »
My boss at my part time job has really put his foot in it this time.

BG - I write articles daily for a website for a bit of money while I look for something more permanent. It's all fairly casual, but there's been a few issues in the past - negotiations over money and output mainly. /BG

We get paid weekly by our boss, but we have to submit a payment request. Last week I submitted my usual request to no response, but didn't think anything of it as it sometimes takes a day or so for him to get around to it. A few days later, still nothing. I send him a message online about whether he saw my request, it's currently unread. I submitted another request this week for everything owed, still no response.

It turns out our boss decided to go on holiday without telling any of his staff! He's posting plenty of holiday snaps as he goes, but doesn't have time to check any of his messages apparently. The other writers have contacted me to ask if I know what's going on, so he didn't make them aware of not being in the country either! We don't have an editor right now (the previous one left a few weeks back) so we had no one to contact but each other to ask what was going on.

The boss has never been popular, and with the editor no longer here to act as buffer, I suspect it won't be long before most of the team quit.
All will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

becktheriddler

« Reply #5894 on: June 25, 2014, 12:00:42 PM »
Looking at records reminds me of when I worked at a bank. One day, an employee found out a major celebrity was a customer and looked up the file. The employee wasn't up to anything; just got blinded by celebrity. Of course we  all have to look up dozens, even hundreds, of customers a day, but some customers are flagged and you better have a real reason for accessing those account. I'm don't recall if they were fired or just got into major trouble.
Sort of related. I worked at a bank, in one of the corporate offices. They had put a program on our computers that would basically run through a customer's accounts, assess their usage and balances, and then recommend other products to cross sell the program. You could also disable the program quite easily, if you needed to do so.

Our branch was going through its annual audit, and the auditor had accessed several customers accounts, verifying transactions were correctly handled. He got to one account that had the same, not-at-all-common name as out CFO. He asked me if the program worked on all customers. When I told him yes, but before I could tell him how to disable the program, he said "Well, I'll just skip this one". Pulling up the account information of the higher ranking bank officers set off all kinds of bells and whistles in Corporate Security, and there had better be a darn good reason for doing it. He was smart enough to avoid it entirely, even though it would be justified, given the job he was doing,
By Grabthar's Hammer...what a savings!