Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1329611 times)

Margo

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5895 on: June 13, 2014, 07:07:36 AM »
The sales department at Gemu Valves.  http://www.gemu.com/about_gemu.html

No, you've never heard of them.  They sell valves and fittings and flow measuring tools to the food and pharmaceutical industries.  I have a pen that I picked up at their booth at a trade show in April.  It has their name on the barrel. 

You know the little thing on one end of a pen that you press to make the writing other end come out, then press again to bring that end back in?  That tip broke.  Now the point is permanently exposed.  The only to bring it back in is to use a tiny screwdriver in place of that same tip.  I'll use that pen for grocery lists and other things around the house until it runs dry.  And every time I see it I'll associate Gemu with low quality products.

I'm confused, do they actually manufacture pens?

Because I've received literally dozens of promotional pens over the years, and they're nearly always cheap and fall apart relatively quickly.  It never occurred to me that it reflected negatively on the company advertising on the pen - after all, they're just getting their name out there with a cheap free gift, not actually *endorsing* the pen.

Same here. Companies hand out free pens all the time. They're always of the cheap variety and I never expect them to last long... It would never cross my mind to associate the quality of the pen with the quality of the company's products... unless they actually make pens.
Yes, this is my reaction, too.

On a connected note, I do think there is a touch of PD in the marketing company which keeps trying to sell us promotional pens for our business. Their sales model seems to be that they send us a free sample with our name on, in the hope we will hen order lots of the pens to give out to our clients.

which might actually work, were it not for the fact that they are sending pens emblazoned with the name of the company we were (or half of us were) before we merged and changed or name, 12 years ago. They also address the letter to someone who retired 15 years ago.

Our details are not difficult to find - we have a website (which includes details of all staff). If you Google 'old Name' our website is what will come up, because we  have both of the old names in the 'history of the firm' part of the 'about us' section.

If you are a marketing company, wouldn't identifying who you are trying to sell to be a fairly basic thing to do at an early stage?

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #5896 on: June 13, 2014, 09:02:51 AM »
Can you not tell the big boss beforehand, to clue him in?

He's aware of the friction, but he doesn't want to deal with it, so he's mostly pretending like it's not happening.

We ended up going in to his office with one of my coworkers carrying an email on the subject. He realized what we were doing and reiterated that we need to hand in a paper with everything written down, but he didn't actually yell for us not following his instructions, which was nice.

And then, when I got into work this morning, she'd created a document on our shared drive at work, for all of us to write down our suggestions. But when I opened it, she'd already started writing on the doc with "Cindy's thoughts" except that she wrote down EVERYTHING that we collectively brainstormed as her thoughts.

<headdesk>

I really can't stand working with this woman.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5897 on: June 13, 2014, 10:01:17 AM »

He's aware of the friction, but he doesn't want to deal with it, so he's mostly pretending like it's not happening.

We ended up going in to his office with one of my coworkers carrying an email on the subject. He realized what we were doing and reiterated that we need to hand in a paper with everything written down, but he didn't actually yell for us not following his instructions, which was nice.

And then, when I got into work this morning, she'd created a document on our shared drive at work, for all of us to write down our suggestions. But when I opened it, she'd already started writing on the doc with "Cindy's thoughts" except that she wrote down EVERYTHING that we collectively brainstormed as her thoughts.

<headdesk>

I've had this happen on shared documents.  I would just go in and update the document to pull out your own specific thoughts/ideas.  I usually add to my list as well.

Shalamar

« Reply #5898 on: June 13, 2014, 10:45:52 AM »
Arila's story reminded me of when an Arby's opened up close to my house.  I used to like Arby's a lot, and at that time my kids weren't vegetarians, so I figured they'd get a lot of my business.  I stopped in about a week after they opened and ordered typical Arby's fare - roast beef sandwiches, curly fries, and chicken fingers.   They stared as though they'd  never heard of chicken fingers before.  Then they had to find them. Then they told me there'd be a wait (which was fine - that's pretty normal for a place that specializes in roast beef sandwiches).  When the food arrived, it was stone cold - including the chicken fingers which they'd supposedly just made.  The final straw was when I asked for the toys that were supposed to come with the kids' meals.  The clerk sighed in exasperation, pulled out a very dusty box from under the counter, slammed it on the counter (spreading dust everywhere, including on my food) and snapped "HERE.  Take what you want."

I wasn't surprised to see that they'd closed a couple of months later (despite being in a very good location with plenty of parking).

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #5899 on: June 13, 2014, 10:47:58 AM »

<headdesk>

I've had this happen on shared documents.  I would just go in and update the document to pull out your own specific thoughts/ideas.  I usually add to my list as well.

Ooooh, good idea! I'm going to do that & also mention it to my other 2 coworker. If we all do it, then she's going to be mad at us all equally, or just decide not to get mad, since there's no "bad guy" to pick on and worklife will be better.

Thank you!
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5900 on: June 13, 2014, 01:13:13 PM »
The pens remind me of a great darwinism moment - one of my favorite pens in high school was something that my dad got sent as a promotional item.  (One of those "See how great a job we can do printing your logo on things?" marketing things.)  It was a very nice pen, labeled with "DadsBisnessNome, OurTone, OurCyty."  Well, not those words exactly, but something similar  :P  Like, they didn't get the business name, the town, or the city spelled correctly.  Granted, anyone not local wouldn't necessarily know the town name, but how can you go from "Manitowoc" to "Manilowar" and not notice?

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #5901 on: June 13, 2014, 05:02:08 PM »
The pens remind me of a great darwinism moment - one of my favorite pens in high school was something that my dad got sent as a promotional item.  (One of those "See how great a job we can do printing your logo on things?" marketing things.)  It was a very nice pen, labeled with "DadsBisnessNome, OurTone, OurCyty."  Well, not those words exactly, but something similar  :P  Like, they didn't get the business name, the town, or the city spelled correctly.  Granted, anyone not local wouldn't necessarily know the town name, but how can you go from "Manitowoc" to "Manilowar" and not notice?

"That's how you got that account in Ockoknockomowock!"" Oconomowoc,  yes sir. "<<- old Yellow Pages TV ad from the 90s.

Jocelyn

« Reply #5902 on: June 13, 2014, 10:44:17 PM »
I think that was intended to keep potential customers from handing out the free samples  as advertising...surely there weren't so many inept printers!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5903 on: June 14, 2014, 04:58:28 PM »
I think that was intended to keep potential customers from handing out the free samples  as advertising...surely there weren't so many inept printers!
But since the whole point would be to show potential customers a sample of their work, and the promotional things like that are handed out as advertising, purposely misspelling everything would seem to be exceedingly counterproductive.

I have to wonder if the printer was in China (or some other Asian country unfamiliar with Western lettering) and guessing at what those letters actually were.  It wouldn't be out of line to mistake t for l, o for a, and c for r from a hand-printed example, for instance.  I know that in my own lower-case printing, some letters like v and r  look very similar.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

MissRose

« Reply #5904 on: June 15, 2014, 10:49:22 AM »
I just wish this part of a department that handles calls would not try to shove calls into the group I am a part of and we have to end up transferring to the group that has some people in my building and some in another building in another city.  If only they would take a few extra seconds, listen to the customer and plenty of aggravation would be saved.  The biggest one is that they open tickets for internet access lines down, and just because the customer says I cannot get your company line for internet to work & websites won't display does not mean shove them to my department where we help customers with accounts that use our web site & email service component only.  I would think it would be common sense for people to know without internet access, you cannot browse the internet and/or check your email!

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #5905 on: June 17, 2014, 07:38:22 AM »
I just wish this part of a department that handles calls would not try to shove calls into the group I am a part of and we have to end up transferring to the group that has some people in my building and some in another building in another city.  If only they would take a few extra seconds, listen to the customer and plenty of aggravation would be saved.  The biggest one is that they open tickets for internet access lines down, and just because the customer says I cannot get your company line for internet to work & websites won't display does not mean shove them to my department where we help customers with accounts that use our web site & email service component only.  I would think it would be common sense for people to know without internet access, you cannot browse the internet and/or check your email!

I'm not sure I'd toss all of the blame on the people transferring to you.  It can be a customer issue as well.  I worked for awhile taking calls for the pharmacy of a large medical complex.  I'd get calls from patients saying that they needed prescriptions, but they didn't have refills.  I'd determine that they needed to see their dr, and which dr prescribed that particular medication.  I'd give the patient the information and transfer them to scheduling.  Unfortunately, I could not do a "warm transfer" as it would screw up the queuing system.  So I'd send the patient off to the scheduling queue, and when scheduling answered the patient would tell them that they needed a prescription refill.  Scheduling didn't have prescription information and the patient would wind up back in my queue.

MissRose

« Reply #5906 on: June 17, 2014, 11:20:06 AM »

I'm not sure I'd toss all of the blame on the people transferring to you.  It can be a customer issue as well.  I worked for awhile taking calls for the pharmacy of a large medical complex.  I'd get calls from patients saying that they needed prescriptions, but they didn't have refills.  I'd determine that they needed to see their dr, and which dr prescribed that particular medication.  I'd give the patient the information and transfer them to scheduling.  Unfortunately, I could not do a "warm transfer" as it would screw up the queuing system.  So I'd send the patient off to the scheduling queue, and when scheduling answered the patient would tell them that they needed a prescription refill.  Scheduling didn't have prescription information and the patient would wind up back in my queue.

I say if they take 30 extra seconds to ask a few probing questions of the customer, it could save aggravation and wait times in many cases as my department wait times are higher than normal at this time.

Library Dragon

« Reply #5907 on: June 17, 2014, 11:33:06 AM »
Just an obvious statement.  An employee shouldn't be surprised that they are asked to leave if they have been using the company credit card to pay for their home cable bill, rental car for vacation, or throw away cell phones to cover up their extra curricular activities. 

For a local politician, don't be shocked when you loose the primary because a deconstruction project you personally pushed through and supervised had the debris dumped on private land and set on fire.  Yes, the owner of the land is going to be unhappy.  The residents are going to be unhappy that the local government now has to pay to clean up the mess and reimburse the land owner. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

TeamBhakta

« Reply #5908 on: June 17, 2014, 01:33:18 PM »

For a local politician, don't be shocked when you loose the primary because a deconstruction project you personally pushed through and supervised had the debris dumped on private land and set on fire.  Yes, the owner of the land is going to be unhappy.  The residents are going to be unhappy that the local government now has to pay to clean up the mess and reimburse the land owner.

On a similar note: We had a politician declare she did "reconnaissance" and discovered there are no problems with veteran care in our state. Also something about how people need to "butt out" because it's "working just fine" in our state. This same politician also used prisoners to sandbag her home during flooding a few years ago. 

greencat

« Reply #5909 on: June 17, 2014, 01:52:39 PM »

I say if they take 30 extra seconds to ask a few probing questions of the customer, it could save aggravation and wait times in many cases as my department wait times are higher than normal at this time.

I had an issue like this when I worked on a support line - and the solution wasn't to change anything about the other department.  It was to tell the customers exactly what to say when they reached the other department so they didn't get transferred back.  So instead of them repeating, "I need help with the widget!" to the other department, I'd tell them that to get the help they were looking for, they needed to say "My widget is broken."