Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1424737 times)

Cherry91

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5910 on: June 19, 2014, 05:12:38 AM »
My boss at my part time job has really put his foot in it this time.

BG - I write articles daily for a website for a bit of money while I look for something more permanent. It's all fairly casual, but there's been a few issues in the past - negotiations over money and output mainly. /BG

We get paid weekly by our boss, but we have to submit a payment request. Last week I submitted my usual request to no response, but didn't think anything of it as it sometimes takes a day or so for him to get around to it. A few days later, still nothing. I send him a message online about whether he saw my request, it's currently unread. I submitted another request this week for everything owed, still no response.

It turns out our boss decided to go on holiday without telling any of his staff! He's posting plenty of holiday snaps as he goes, but doesn't have time to check any of his messages apparently. The other writers have contacted me to ask if I know what's going on, so he didn't make them aware of not being in the country either! We don't have an editor right now (the previous one left a few weeks back) so we had no one to contact but each other to ask what was going on.

The boss has never been popular, and with the editor no longer here to act as buffer, I suspect it won't be long before most of the team quit.

becktheriddler

« Reply #5911 on: June 25, 2014, 01:00:42 PM »
Looking at records reminds me of when I worked at a bank. One day, an employee found out a major celebrity was a customer and looked up the file. The employee wasn't up to anything; just got blinded by celebrity. Of course we  all have to look up dozens, even hundreds, of customers a day, but some customers are flagged and you better have a real reason for accessing those account. I'm don't recall if they were fired or just got into major trouble.
Sort of related. I worked at a bank, in one of the corporate offices. They had put a program on our computers that would basically run through a customer's accounts, assess their usage and balances, and then recommend other products to cross sell the program. You could also disable the program quite easily, if you needed to do so.

Our branch was going through its annual audit, and the auditor had accessed several customers accounts, verifying transactions were correctly handled. He got to one account that had the same, not-at-all-common name as out CFO. He asked me if the program worked on all customers. When I told him yes, but before I could tell him how to disable the program, he said "Well, I'll just skip this one". Pulling up the account information of the higher ranking bank officers set off all kinds of bells and whistles in Corporate Security, and there had better be a darn good reason for doing it. He was smart enough to avoid it entirely, even though it would be justified, given the job he was doing,
By Grabthat's Hammer...what a savings!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5912 on: June 25, 2014, 02:18:55 PM »
Oh my dear and fluffy $Diety! Someone is in Trouble!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5913 on: June 25, 2014, 07:58:41 PM »
I'm currently seeing a psychologist through a Medicare mental health plan, I get six appointments and claim quite a bit of money back from Medicare after I pay the account in full. The claim usually takes a few days to come through after I mail it, but I mailed it Friday and should have received the refund by now.

I was checking my bank statement yesterday and the amount hadn't gone in, not unusual as it might have been held up, but I noticed a lesser amount billed to my doctor on the day that I paid and not to the psychologist as had been previously done.

So I queried it, turns out that one of the guys in the office had billed the wrong amount to the wrong EFTPOS machine. I didn't check the receipt as I thought it was all above board, so now I have to go in and pay the rest today and they have to make sure the psychologist gets paid.

Refund still hasn't come through, but they told me to call back Monday.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:14:27 PM by Katana_Geldar »

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #5914 on: June 26, 2014, 06:52:16 AM »

So I queried it, turns out that one of the guys in the office had billed the wrong amount to the wrong EFTPOS machine. I didn't check the receipt as I thought it was all above board, so now I have to go in and pay the rest today and they have to make sure the psychologist gets paid.

I'm curious as to why this is PD; sounds like an honest mistake.

Adelaide

« Reply #5915 on: June 27, 2014, 01:08:33 PM »
My supervisor assigned me Very Urgent Task #1, which he wants completed at the end of the day and includes 191 separate entries on a sheet. Yesterday he asked me if that was possible and said our boss really, really wanted it by the end of the day today. I told him point-blank that if this was the only thing I had to work on, I might be able to do it if I came in early. I came in early and got to work.

Lo and behold, by the time I was on entry #20 he approached me with another task. A third party needs a document but the description they gave my supervisor matches about 75 documents. My supervisor actually wanted me to stop what I was doing, download all of the matching documents, put them together, and send them to him. Instead I compiled a list with descriptions (which took some time itself!) and sent them to him, emphasizing several times and in various ways that it was a lot of information and it made no sense for me to just gather up everything and the kitchen sink and take out a huge chunk of time. So far he'd refused all of my attempts to get any sort of clarification as to the specific document he needed me to find, and I don't have a point of contact for the person this is going to. Finally, after I again said "It will be over an hour before I can get all of these done" that he said "Oh, I can call them and get them to clarify which document they need."  >:(

greencat

« Reply #5916 on: June 27, 2014, 01:54:32 PM »
I always used to send an email asking if the new task took priority over the Very Important Task that I was previously told was #1 and I shouldn't work on anything else.  Get it in writing that they wanted you to interrupt doing that thing to do something else...

Adelaide

« Reply #5917 on: June 27, 2014, 02:41:13 PM »
I always used to send an email asking if the new task took priority over the Very Important Task that I was previously told was #1 and I shouldn't work on anything else.  Get it in writing that they wanted you to interrupt doing that thing to do something else...

We sit next to each other and are in constant verbal and email communication.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5918 on: June 27, 2014, 02:48:22 PM »
Oh. My.

My big boss is really bad about springing major projects two days before the deadline and with no prior notice. I have weekly duties that take 60-75% of my time, without her projects.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5919 on: June 28, 2014, 12:20:12 AM »

Anyhow, back to actual PD stories, a teacher in one of my brother's classes (back in junior high) apparently hit a student with her shoe when he was misbehaving. The teacher's excuse was that she was having a diabetic episode. Most people with diabetes or hypoglycemia that I know would not have anywhere near enough energy to take off a shoe and hit a second person in the head with it during an episode (of either sugar being too high or too low). Not sure what happened to the teacher.

My DH is diabetic and before you have no energy there is a phase where I find their emotions to be "amplified"...if they are happy they are really happy and if they are annoyed they are really annoyed.

Hillia

« Reply #5920 on: June 28, 2014, 12:27:40 AM »
Governmental PD.  The county where I live has a 5 member board of county commissioners.  A few years ago, Party A swept the elections and took over the board, and set about handing out offices and contracts like Halloween candy from the dollar store.  We just (after 10 months) stopped paying the country treasurer who is under investigation for not doing her job (really not doing her job - like not depositing property tax checks or providing proper funds for county schools, libraries, etc).

Now the latest story.  A few years ago, a developer wanted to put in a housing development.  He was promised all sorts of tax breaks, county-funded road construction, etc, in a series of not quite shady deals with the commissioners.  For some reason, the deal went sour, so he sued the county.  The commissioners held a meeting with the developer and his attorney, came to a settlement for nearly $700k (a major, major chunk of change for a rural area) to be funded by a new tax, and proudly announced how they had avoided the cost of a lawsuit.  The local rabblerousing independent newspaper said, 'Wait...the developer's attorney was in the meeting but not the county attorney?  And it was not announced or made open to the public?  That's a violation of county law' and filed suit to have the settlement overturned.  The commissioners are now falling all over themselves issuing retractions: 'Oh, did we say the developer's attorney was there?  We meant wasn't.  N't.  N't'

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Jocelyn

« Reply #5921 on: June 28, 2014, 12:42:32 AM »

Anyhow, back to actual PD stories, a teacher in one of my brother's classes (back in junior high) apparently hit a student with her shoe when he was misbehaving. The teacher's excuse was that she was having a diabetic episode. Most people with diabetes or hypoglycemia that I know would not have anywhere near enough energy to take off a shoe and hit a second person in the head with it during an episode (of either sugar being too high or too low). Not sure what happened to the teacher.

My DH is diabetic and before you have no energy there is a phase where I find their emotions to be "amplified"...if they are happy they are really happy and if they are annoyed they are really annoyed.
There are many different kinds of reactions. The first man I ever saw, was when I was working in a gift shop at Christmastime: he started to cry, tears rolling down his cheeks, without sobbing. My former pastor would get very irritable and snappish; my father would get childlike. Me, I have a strong desire to lie down, preferably in a cold place (tile floor rather than carpet, for example), and I often will become very clumsy at this stage. However, I often have an 'aura' of being extremely irritated about insignificant things. But that also happens if I'm high, so that's not a reliable symptom.

The basic rules, for those around a diabetic is that they're going to act unlike their usual self. They will do something odd, like lie down on the floor at the health club.
Do not ask them if they're OK and accept their assurance that they are. (but if they say they're not, you know something very important!) Higher thought tends to go first, so assume that they're not able to accurately assess what's going on. If you're not sure the person is a diabetic, ask them if they are: they'll generally be able to remember that fact. Ask when was the last time they tested their blood glucose, if they have a meter with them, and if they do, get them to test. The further the number is below 100, the more serious the hypoglycemia is. If it's below 70, call an ambulance. If it's 70-90, offer them about half a glass of juice or regular soda. Do not use chocolate- the fat in chocolate makes the sugar digest slowly. Candy that's pure sugar like candy corn, or hard candies like Life Savers, work quicker, but liquids are best/quickest. They don't need to drink a lot of juice or soda- too much can set off another swing in blood glucose. If they don't have a meter with them, give them the liquid anyway, and get them to an urgent care or ER, or to wherever their meter is. Diabetics will act wonky if their sugar is too high, but high sugar is not the life-threatening emergency that low sugar is. If the bG drops to around 20, odds are very good that the person is going to die or have permanent brain damage. Better to raise their bG from 200 to 250, than to let it drop from 70 to 20.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #5922 on: June 28, 2014, 12:50:28 AM »
Well, a manager I've talked about previously on another thread is gone. She didn't exactly have the greatest morale (complaining when I asked to take my break or leave, plus playing on her phone instead of talking to customers), but what took the cake was when she took home an expensive object from Lost and Found and refused to answer phone calls asking her to bring it back - even from a fellow manager! :o. Of course, the owner of said object was not pleased to find out that her object was not in our possession.

Manager brought the object back the next day, and didn't understand all the fuss. After all, she'd done it before and brought the other object back...

Yeah, she suddenly found herself unemployed. She was replaced by four people who are far more competent and kind than she could ever hope to be.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

LeeLee88

« Reply #5923 on: June 28, 2014, 07:39:35 AM »
We've been having a whole slew of these this week.  It's mainly been people who either don't show up to work, or will show up very late with excuses like, "I was up late".  Okey doke then.  The one who's really taking the cake lately is person who, when a supervisor is giving instruction to another worker, will interrupt the supervisor and talk over said supervisor to tell the co-worker what he/she should really be doing.  Which is just great, considering Talky Todd has never done what we we do before, and is still in training himself. 

Talky Todd also performed his set tasks incorrectly, and when politlely asked to re-do the work, said he knew they were wrong the whole time, just turned it in as a completed product anyway.  Uhhhh... why?!  Supervisor attempting to help Talky Todd learn his appropriate tasks is talked over and argued with until Supervisor gives up and says, "Fine, you know everything, I'll let Higher Supervisor know that everything you do can get sent to him, and he can take care of it."  Higher Supervisor does not tolerate fools, and Talky Todd has been digging his own employment grave since his first day, which is when he first interrupted his primary Supervisor to tell a subordinate what to do. 

Oh, Talky Todd also told a co-worker that because he's so intelligent and well-read, most people are very intimidated by him.  Seriously, Todd?  Seriously.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5924 on: June 28, 2014, 11:25:43 AM »
When you're an intern, particularly in a field with a very tough job market, that's your chance to show what a good worker you are and why the company should hire you instead of the thirty other people applying for the same spot. It's not the time to just not show up for work on the day of a special event, leaving the director of the event to work the registration table because the interns aren't there.