Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1323470 times)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5925 on: June 28, 2014, 11:25:43 AM »
When you're an intern, particularly in a field with a very tough job market, that's your chance to show what a good worker you are and why the company should hire you instead of the thirty other people applying for the same spot. It's not the time to just not show up for work on the day of a special event, leaving the director of the event to work the registration table because the interns aren't there.

Reika

« Reply #5926 on: June 28, 2014, 12:13:04 PM »
Ouch KenveeB.

The place mom goes to for the oil changes had a case of PD from an entire crew. They weren't putting in the right size oil filters, instead they were jamming ones that were too large, in some cases clearly using some sort of tool to force them into place. Unfortunately, our car is one of the ones that were affected.

Fortunately, that crew is gone, they gave us a discount on the current oil change and will have us come back to do the replacement and such when the needed items come in. Thankfully nothing was damaged so the car is operable.

SoCalVal

« Reply #5927 on: June 28, 2014, 01:50:21 PM »
Ouch KenveeB.

The place mom goes to for the oil changes had a case of PD from an entire crew. They weren't putting in the right size oil filters, instead they were jamming ones that were too large, in some cases clearly using some sort of tool to force them into place. Unfortunately, our car is one of the ones that were affected.

Fortunately, that crew is gone, they gave us a discount on the current oil change and will have us come back to do the replacement and such when the needed items come in. Thankfully nothing was damaged so the car is operable.

This would be a good example of why I refuse to do any mystery shops involving letting someone work on my car.  I don't have the money to fix what might go wrong letting an unknown work on my car so it's totally not worth it to pick these up.  I'm surprised that so many mystery shoppers are willing to take this risk, especially when I hear so many bad things, in general, about some of these particular chains.

greencat

« Reply #5928 on: June 28, 2014, 04:27:15 PM »
A rash of PD cases came across my desk.  We have a position open and my boss likes to have everyone in our little department review the applications.  We had a slew of applicants whose applications were either incomplete or had horrible spelling, grammar and punctuation.  Why would you fill out an application for a professional position without following standard capitalization rules for proper nouns and the first letter of sentences?  One or two errors I dismissed as a typo but a consistent pattern was enough to get my "no" vote.

Another few had odd letters with their applications - they wrote about themselves in the third person as though it was a reference letter.  I'm wondering if they got some bad advice or misunderstood some good advice from a career website, or if this is normal practice in some areas...

TeamBhakta

« Reply #5929 on: June 28, 2014, 09:15:26 PM »
Another few had odd letters with their applications - they wrote about themselves in the third person as though it was a reference letter.  I'm wondering if they got some bad advice or misunderstood some good advice from a career website, or if this is normal practice in some areas...

The most hilarious version I've seen of that was an unauthorized biography about Drew Carey. There were several random lapses into first person. Oops. So much for "unauthorized"  >:D

Shalamar

« Reply #5930 on: June 29, 2014, 12:45:11 PM »
If you've already tried to get a day off and were told no, don't promptly call in sick for that day.   The bosses aren't stupid.

SoCalVal

« Reply #5931 on: June 29, 2014, 01:35:01 PM »
If you've already tried to get a day off and were told no, don't promptly call in sick for that day.   The bosses aren't stupid.

We've had that happen.  I wonder if employees realize that when they do this then later apply for better positions in the department, that we take past behavior into consideration?

I once had an employee, when we wouldn't grant her way-past-deadline time off request, state she was going to then claim the day for FMLA reasons (FMLA is protected sick leave, and she had FMLA on file).  She was warned that  should she do that, the repercussions would not be good as she'd already requested it as a vacation day. She actually opted not to go that route and reported for work. (note that when they want time off and it's past deadline, it's up to the employee to find someone to pick up his/her shift).

andi

« Reply #5932 on: June 29, 2014, 04:53:12 PM »

We have people do this all the time - drives me batty!!  And it's usually turned down because they requested it way at the last minute and the schedule had already bee written if. It posted. Double batty if the day is a holiday (like July 4 here in the US)

Hillia

« Reply #5933 on: June 29, 2014, 05:18:47 PM »
On the flip side, DH requested his July vacation time way back in February.  Friday the bosses started panicking about production, because no one had been keeping track of vacation requests and many employees had requested time off in July.  For a while it looked like his request would be canceled, but they finally confirmed it.  Managers who can't be bothered to actually manage...ugh.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #5934 on: June 29, 2014, 09:43:51 PM »
I had one just play out.  Jason was an assistant manager to the branch manager, Karen.  There were accusations that the two had become way more than friendly, and although no wrong doing was uncovered it was decided prudent to assign Jason to a different branch.  Now I think that Jason, being young and just out of college, had assumed that being a manager was a free ticket to the easy life.  In the course of a year:

1. Customer drops his checkbook on the floor.  Another customer picks it up and forges it to pay for their own car registration.  Jason was the one who processed the transaction, and never realized that the name on the check did not match, and never questioned it (We are supposed to ask for the driver's license number of the person who wrote the check -- Jason didn't do this.)

2. All checks are collected, balanced to the check total at End of Day, and placed in one envelope to go to the bank the next morning.  Jason, for some unknown reason, placed his checks in a separate envelope and dropped them into the bottom of the safe.  Next morning, he forgot completely that his checks were in a different spot, and he forgot to pull them to go to the bank.  It was only a few days later, when the bank was questioning the deposit discrepancy that he finally remembered these 10 checks.

3.  He started out earning 4 hours of annual leave per 2 weeks, which equals 13 days of annual per year.  Jason put in for all this vacation time at the beginning of the summer.  The region manager had to redo everything once she realized that he did not yet qualify for all the time he asked for.  "But I get 13 days a year," he said.  Yes, and at the end of the year that is how it will add up, but you actually have to earn it first.  It's kind of like writing checks for money that you will be depositing 6 months later.

4.  The big one.  He was talking to his new manager on a Monday morning, and a clerk comes storming in: "Why did you stand me up Saturday night?  And you turned your phone off too?"  We have been trained over and over again, and had it drummed into our head that a supervisor dating someone they manage is a recipe for disaster.  Accusations of sexual harassment, and accusations of favoritism often follow.  He had just survived one accusation of sexual misconduct, and he was diving right back into it.  Jason, dude, keep it out of your work place. 

Now, Jason is a really nice guy, and not stupid.  But just very unaware of how work places operate.  After the first instance, I would have put my head down, and just worked hard.  But Jason never really showed a sense of what managers in our department are expected to do.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5935 on: June 29, 2014, 09:54:45 PM »

Now, Jason is a really nice guy, and not stupid.  ...

Are you sure about that?   :D

JoW

« Reply #5936 on: June 29, 2014, 10:14:45 PM »
And if you do call in sick don't come back to work with brand new out-of-state license plates on your car.  Local law says you have to get local plates when you move.  Someone will turn you in.  My co-worker committed both Professional Darwinism and Personal Darwinism.   

She was eventually fired, but not over this issue. 

SoCalVal

« Reply #5937 on: June 29, 2014, 10:33:19 PM »
And if you do call in sick don't come back to work with brand new out-of-state license plates on your car.  Local law says you have to get local plates when you move.  Someone will turn you in.  My co-worker committed both Professional Darwinism and Personal Darwinism.   

She was eventually fired, but not over this issue.

I'm confused.  Does that mean she was moving to other state?

ETA -- didn't mean to turn my post lime green; that was odd.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:40:38 PM by SoCalVal »

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5938 on: June 29, 2014, 11:16:45 PM »
It sounds more like she went to another state to get new (possibly cheaper?) license plates for her *current* car - or possibly to avoid emissions testing?

I've lived several places where the exhaust was tested & cars might have to be repaired to pass the inspection before a new sticker or license plate would be issued.

We were a military family - so there were some differences that applied ONLY to active duty military - but we still had to have the license plates issued in the state where the military base was, rather than the state where our "official" (pre-military residence) home of record had been. 

Usually, you have to have an address in the state where you get the license plate - so it might have been that she was considered to have committed fraud on official documents that caused the issue to escalate to firing so quickly.

*Current* car meaning the one she'd been driving to work for a while...so it was kind of obvious that she was trying to save money in a rather shady way...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:58:44 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

eltf177

« Reply #5939 on: June 30, 2014, 04:42:28 AM »
I read this as she bought the car out of state and had that state's temporary tags on it. These would be valid for 30/60 days until the permanent tags from the state of residence were ready. Meanwhile the vehicle will probably need to be inspected/registered as well...