News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 16, 2017, 11:10:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3781604 times)

redcat

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5955 on: July 01, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »
Have you seen the movie "We bought a zoo"?  I watched the documentary that was based on, and the zoo was getting its meat from local supermarkets, who were giving them their out of date meat instead of having to pay for it to be taken to landfill.  Seemed like a good use of resources all round.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5956 on: July 01, 2014, 09:33:02 AM »
I have. In a similar vein, lots of zoos have a partnership with the wildlife agency in their area and use freshly killed deer for their carnivores, which reduces waste and helps the environment.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5957 on: July 01, 2014, 09:38:23 AM »
I know a local church that benefits from a church member owning a... Panera Bread?  Some sort of place like that, only I don't remember exactly which one it was.  Anyway, he brings in the bread that needs to be pulled from the store but is still safe to eat, and it's in a basket at the church for anyone to take.  Pretty sweet deal for his fellow church members.  :)  It was a church we visited once, and one of the elders urged us to take some, so we got to take home a delicious loaf of raisin bread.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5958 on: July 01, 2014, 09:46:40 AM »
Panera Bread as a corporation requires each store to donate all bread at the end of the day to the local food pantry.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5959 on: July 01, 2014, 10:16:20 AM »
Panera Bread as a corporation requires each store to donate all bread at the end of the day to the local food pantry.

Which I think is awesome.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #5960 on: July 01, 2014, 01:38:57 PM »

POD.  I wish other corporations would do the same with their bread / leftovers at the end of the day.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #5961 on: July 01, 2014, 01:47:34 PM »

That would explain why the food bank where DH and I used to volunteer had regular pick-ups from a Panera Bread in the area (we used to handle the pick-ups once a month until that particular program of the food bank was terminated).

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #5962 on: July 01, 2014, 07:45:03 PM »
The Cracker Barrel employee who got fired the fifth time he gave away free food without permission. Also, the media is annoying me by framing it as "BUT HE ONLY GAVE AWAY ONE TEENY TINY MUFFIN. I GUESS CB WANTS PEOPLE TO STARVE TO DEATH"
Yeah, the part that gets left out is that the guy who came in there said, 'Hey, I'm going to cook a fish. Can you give me some tartar sauce to go with it?' and the employee not only did so, he tossed in a corn muffin because it would taste good with the fish!
Seriously? If you're fixing dinner and you need condiments, go to the grocery store; don't go to a restaurant and ask them to give you some! The 'customer's' request was completely ridiculous, and the employee should have said, 'Sorry, we sell food here, we don't give it away.'
If, for some reason, he felt this guy deserved pity, he could have purchased some tartar sauce and a corn muffin, and given it to him. But the employee didn't want to do that...he wanted to be Lady Bountiful without it costing him anything.
I applaud restaurants that participate in food recovery (such as Chartwells on my campus, which gives away perishable food items that won't hold over the weekend, on Friday nights, to a student group that then delivers the food to a local kitchen/food pantry), but employees don't have the right to decide their employers will donate merchandise, especially after their boss says, 'Don't do that again.' 'Seriously, don't do it again.' 'I've warned you twice, stop it.' 'Really, I mean it, stop doing this stuff.'

A few places that used to give their day-old bread to charity in some way (student organizations would often use them for bake sales) had to stop doing it after they found that people were diverting the bread to a secondary market - that created some legal liabilities for the companies and their lawyers advised them to stop doing it.  I know at least one of the places sells the bread (and a lot of the other fresh food waste) to local farmers for pig food now, so it's not just getting trashed.

Ah yes, "pig bread"!    I ate that as a child.

Supermarket (grocery store) sells old bread to pig farmer, pig farmer gives some away to large and very poor family he knows, who also pass on some to my even larger, equally poor family.   It always came as big bulk lots of multiple loaves, often dropped on our doorstep late at night.

As an adult I can't stand bread unless it's fresh.    I don't even like stale bread toasted - everything has to be fresh bread.   I'm just this minute realising that there may be a connection there!   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #5963 on: July 02, 2014, 11:55:21 AM »

POD.  I wish other corporations would do the same with their bread / leftovers at the end of the day.

I once heard from a worker at the Krispy Kreme near my parent's house that they had to stop donating their donuts.  The company policy is that all donuts must be gotten rid of at midnight every day.  They'd made arrangements with a homeless shelter which would pick up the donuts.  Store manager not being an idiot would try to minimize the amount of wastage.  As time went on he got better at it, but there will always a lot of waste.  The donuts that don't go through the conveyor belt each need a minimum number of at all times.  But, the homeless shelter people started to get pissy.  Saying things like "We budgeted you to give us Y number of donuts, and you only donated X number.  You need to make us some more NOW"  This happened more than once and got heated, so they just stopped donating the donuts at all. 

eltf177

« Reply #5964 on: July 02, 2014, 02:12:42 PM »
But, the homeless shelter people started to get pissy.  Saying things like "We budgeted you to give us Y number of donuts, and you only donated X number.  You need to make us some more NOW"  This happened more than once and got heated, so they just stopped donating the donuts at all.

And it's this level of entitlement that causes people to not donate anything at _all_ and go sour on all charities!

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #5965 on: July 02, 2014, 04:33:06 PM »
But, the homeless shelter people started to get pissy.  Saying things like "We budgeted you to give us Y number of donuts, and you only donated X number.  You need to make us some more NOW"  This happened more than once and got heated, so they just stopped donating the donuts at all.

And it's this level of entitlement that causes people to not donate anything at _all_ and go sour on all charities!

I really really try.  But, excluding drop-offs at goodwill, etc, over half my donations to charity have left a bad taste in my mouth.  Nothing like the homeless shelter/donuts though.  I think something happens to people's mind that get enmeshed in that world.  Look at the threads we've had from people that volunteered and then been abused and overworked and totally un-appreciated.  I keep trying different groups, methods. 

Hillia

« Reply #5966 on: July 02, 2014, 04:53:19 PM »
I totally agree that volunteers should be treated with respect and appreciation for the work they're doing.  They are not paid employees and should not be treated as such.  But some volunteers - oy.  We had a volunteer in our rescue who had many wonderful qualities - she had a great deal of knowledge and skill in working with dogs, she was energetic and enthusiastic and had great ideas.  She was also quite immature (she was the youngest volunteer we had, in her early 20's), very resistant to direction, knew better than every single person there how to do things, and could be quite abrasive in her enthusiasm.  She finally left, after a series of dramatic blowups.  In a final 'goodbye cruel world' email blast, she told us that volunteers should never, ever receive anything but positive feedback and affirmation that their every action was perfect.  She resented quite a bit that she had received a few pretty gentle emails about ,'You may want to rephrase this message, it's a little abrupt' or 'We don't take in dogs with bite histories without a lot of discussion'.  These messages were mixed in with almost daily emails from the president to the volunteer group as a whole, thanking everyone in general for their expenditures of time, energy, and money, as well as emails addressed directly to her (and copied to the whole group) thanking her for particular tasks she'd completed.  'Great job on the xxx adoption!'  'Thanks to Mary, Sue, and Bob for traveling to pick up Fido and bring him back!' etc.  But no - she could not bear the slightest bit of constructive criticism, and we were the most horrible people in the world because we didn't give her nonstop tummy rubs.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #5967 on: July 02, 2014, 05:07:50 PM »
  But no - she could not bear the slightest bit of constructive criticism, and we were the most horrible people in the world because we didn't give her nonstop tummy rubs.

I would think that any sensible person who really cares about an organization or cause would want to do the best job possible-to learn from more experienced people how to improve and get the job done in the best way it could be done.  You don't do an organization much good as a volunteer if you don't do things up to standard, after all.  And really, I would think that everyone would always want to be learning how to do their jobs better, so as to benefit the organization to the fullest extent they can, that it wouldn't be just that the new people would want to learn the already-established stuff ASAP.

Unfortunately, not everyone is sensible, I suppose! It sounds like this volunteer of yours didn't really want to help your cause as much as she wanted to get attention for "helping your cause".  Which is, of course, too bad.

Thipu1

« Reply #5968 on: July 02, 2014, 05:53:27 PM »
Volunteers are the salt of the earth.  They do things that not for profit organizations simply don't have the funds to do otherwise.  We are very grateful for the wonderful work these people do. Often, they have helpful suggestions to increase productivity, reduce waste or streamline work flow.     

However, every once in a while you get a volunteer who is under the impression that s/he is the only person who is keeping the organization from going down the tubes.  We had one who had no qualms about changing procedures to suit her tastes and 'teaching' other volunteers her 'improved' methods.  She was so good at  persuasion that  some new part-time employees weren't sure who their boss really was. 

Okay, we were ungrateful.  We didn't recognize an organizational genius when we saw one.  What we did recognize was the chaos that her wonderful ideas were causing.  We could put up with a lot from volunteers but she had to go. 

Jocelyn

« Reply #5969 on: July 02, 2014, 06:32:37 PM »

I really really try.  But, excluding drop-offs at goodwill, etc, over half my donations to charity have left a bad taste in my mouth.  Nothing like the homeless shelter/donuts though.  I think something happens to people's mind that get enmeshed in that world.  Look at the threads we've had from people that volunteered and then been abused and overworked and totally un-appreciated.  I keep trying different groups, methods.
Well, we don't have many threads along the line of 'I did X, and it was a completely satisfactory experience'.