News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 25, 2018, 06:21:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4292328 times)

otterwoman

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #6030 on: August 08, 2014, 09:12:52 PM »
http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Accused-Judge-Ordered-To-Undergo-Evaluations-270511021.html

Local to me. A judge was arrested for DUI with her triplets in the car, fleeing police and hit and run. She was given a probational release, and ordered to turn over her drivers license. The next morning (!), she was caught buying liquor, driving without her license, all with the kids in the car. She has been arrested again, and now held without bail. She has been ordered to have evaluations for mental and addiction issues.

weeblewobble

« Reply #6031 on: August 08, 2014, 09:23:06 PM »
Oh, another classic case of plagiarism - complete with the offender heading off to Amazon to post 1 star reviews on all the works of the author who called him/her out. http://rachelannnunes.blogspot.ca/2014/08/standing-against-plagarism.html
Wow! I met Rachel Nunes once about 10-12 years ago. I went to a conference she was speaking at. She came across as such a warm and wonderful person; I'm so sorry to see her going through this phantom mess. Ugh. And bonus negative points to the phantom plagiarizer for trying to spread misinformation on Mormons and their faith while attempting to destroy Rachel's good name.

What is WRONG with people??!!!

Cherry91

« Reply #6032 on: August 09, 2014, 04:10:01 AM »
Oh, another classic case of plagiarism - complete with the offender heading off to Amazon to post 1 star reviews on all the works of the author who called him/her out. http://rachelannnunes.blogspot.ca/2014/08/standing-against-plagarism.html
Wow! I met Rachel Nunes once about 10-12 years ago. I went to a conference she was speaking at. She came across as such a warm and wonderful person; I'm so sorry to see her going through this phantom mess. Ugh. And bonus negative points to the phantom plagiarizer for trying to spread misinformation on Mormons and their faith while attempting to destroy Rachel's good name.

I was reading some stuff about the situation, and the plagiarist keeps fabricating these massive elaborate stories about how she ended up stealing someone else's book and how this one makes it okay for sure. There's a point where you just want to say "Stop digging!"
All will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

HenrysMom

« Reply #6033 on: August 09, 2014, 11:26:15 AM »
IMO, it's time Nunes lawyered up.  Just saying.

Twik

« Reply #6034 on: August 09, 2014, 12:02:03 PM »
I think this is becoming a classic example of internet pathology. It's very similar to Munchausen's by Internet - the constantly shifting stories, the sock puppets, the claims of being a really incredible person with connections to really important people. Except instead of being a noble victim of illness (or parent of such a child), this person is a noble artist. And when his/her vision of themselves is attacked, he/she responds viciously.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #6035 on: August 09, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »

She has.

I posted about this on FB to a friend of mine who is involved in a lot of writing groups, and a friend of *hers* knows Rachel.  It felt like a 6-degrees of Kevin Bacon.  :)

I'd be pretty annoyed if a niece of mine took a story of mine, even if unpublished, and changed the wording a bit but otherwise used the same entire story.  I mean, it's one thing if I had a great idea, wrote a bit of it, then decided I didn't like how the writing went or I wasn't going to keep with it, and I suggested the general idea to somebody and told them they could write it.  But she just basically copied the entire book and changed the wording a bit.  It's like those kids who think that if they take the Wikipedia, copy the entire thing, change some words here or there, and think that it's no longer plagiarism because it's not a copy and paste.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #6036 on: August 09, 2014, 01:17:35 PM »

She has.

I posted about this on FB to a friend of mine who is involved in a lot of writing groups, and a friend of *hers* knows Rachel.  It felt like a 6-degrees of Kevin Bacon.  :)

I'd be pretty annoyed if a niece of mine took a story of mine, even if unpublished, and changed the wording a bit but otherwise used the same entire story.  I mean, it's one thing if I had a great idea, wrote a bit of it, then decided I didn't like how the writing went or I wasn't going to keep with it, and I suggested the general idea to somebody and told them they could write it.  But she just basically copied the entire book and changed the wording a bit.  It's like those kids who think that if they take the Wikipedia, copy the entire thing, change some words here or there, and think that it's no longer plagiarism because it's not a copy and paste.
It's getting worse. The individual seems to be going after the reviewers who provided Nunes and her lawyer with a copies of the manuscript. If this was a mistake as claimed, it seems a very odd way to react.

I still find it amazing that one reviewer told Nunes she should be grateful her book was plagiarised. That takes some nerve.

Sara Crewe

« Reply #6037 on: August 09, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »

She has.

I thought the 'niece' bit was another lie?

gramma dishes

« Reply #6038 on: August 09, 2014, 02:00:04 PM »

...   I'd be pretty annoyed if a niece of mine took a story of mine, even if unpublished, and changed the wording a bit but otherwise used the same entire story.  ...

The real author says she only has one niece and that the niece is only nine years old currently.  So that's just another lie made up by the plagiarist. 

Ereine

« Reply #6039 on: August 09, 2014, 02:04:52 PM »

...   I'd be pretty annoyed if a niece of mine took a story of mine, even if unpublished, and changed the wording a bit but otherwise used the same entire story.  ...

The real author says she only has one niece and that the niece is only nine years old currently.  So that's just another lie made up by the plagiarist.

Actually she said that she only has one married niece who was nine years old when the book was originally written but I agree that it was another lie.

gramma dishes

« Reply #6040 on: August 09, 2014, 02:14:49 PM »

Actually she said that she only has one married niece who was nine years old when the book was originally written but I agree that it was another lie.

Oops!  Sorry.  You're right. 

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #6041 on: August 09, 2014, 02:15:33 PM »
Oh, I agree that the whole niece thing is a lie.  I merely meant that it wouldn't justify her anyway, even if she *was* the niece.

Did anybody else notice the "niece" thing coming up twice, once from one of the nasty reviewers (who claimed to be a niece of somebody important-Sherri Dee or something?--which turned out to be a lie), and once from the author herself?  I'm pretty positive that the author is also that last reviewer, possibly both of the nasty reviewers.  We already know she has fake Amazon reviewer accounts, so I wouldn't put it past her to have fake blogger accounts where she is promoting her books.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

weeblewobble

« Reply #6042 on: August 09, 2014, 04:05:41 PM »

I was reading some stuff about the situation, and the plagiarist keeps fabricating these massive elaborate stories about how she ended up stealing someone else's book and how this one makes it okay for sure. There's a point where you just want to say "Stop digging!"

I'm more stunned by the people who criticize Nunes for complaining and tell her she should be FLATTERED that someone "updated" her old book.

poundcake

« Reply #6043 on: August 09, 2014, 04:40:49 PM »

I'm more stunned by the people who criticize Nunes for complaining and tell her she should be FLATTERED that someone "updated" her old book.

No kidding! Between that and the comments of the "quit whining" ilk, I had to stop reading at that point, I was so furious!

Jones

« Reply #6044 on: August 09, 2014, 05:12:19 PM »
Oh, I agree that the whole niece thing is a lie.  I merely meant that it wouldn't justify her anyway, even if she *was* the niece.

Did anybody else notice the "niece" thing coming up twice, once from one of the nasty reviewers (who claimed to be a niece of somebody important-Sherri Dee or something?--which turned out to be a lie), and once from the author herself?  I'm pretty positive that the author is also that last reviewer, possibly both of the nasty reviewers.  We already know she has fake Amazon reviewer accounts, so I wouldn't put it past her to have fake blogger accounts where she is promoting her books.
Sheri Dew. She is the president and CEO of an LDS book publishing company and a prominent female leader in the LDS church. Which is also the religion the plagiarist was attempting to slander to real reviewers.

I'm starting to see a pattern here, and would be willing to guess that at least some of the "people" telling Rachel Nunes to quit whining and be flattered are actually the plagiarist.

I'm glad she mentioned a couple times on that blog that she was lawyering up. Hopefully they're able to track this person down and get some straight answers, or at least a "cease and desist".
A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems. CS Lewis