Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1377121 times)

MrTango

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #6030 on: July 13, 2014, 06:38:37 PM »
I would have checked the cables first and wouldn't call the boss unless it was a major crisis.

If her job did not require her to go on the internet, then she is a PD candidate.

Yeah.  In addition to her inappropriate comments toward her supervisor, her lack of troubleshooting skills would be something I'd include in her next review.  Given that she couldn't access Facebook meant that she had that much extra time to try to solve the problem for herself.

mlmama

« Reply #6031 on: July 14, 2014, 08:32:31 AM »
Our job doesn't require internet access, and yes, the mechanics have been complaining about her ignoring them in favor of whatever she is doing online. Putting them off until she got done with her show, game or conversation. The higher ups were just blowing them off saying it was just "personality conflict" basically, until now. I'm pretty sure that's why they did that to her, to get someone to take them seriously. It's kind of upsetting to realize that they had to stoop to that to have someone above her see the problem.

Bobbie

« Reply #6032 on: July 14, 2014, 06:15:25 PM »
I accomplished something...oops wrong thread  ;D.....got to the end.

Over 25 years ago, I worked in a fast food restaurant.  My district manager, who I didn't know very well, gave me the keys to the store (which as a lowly employee I shouldn't have had) and was told to open the store and call her (before cells, so gave me her unlisted home number) if the assistant manager did not show up. DM had issues with the AM not showing up on time because of his drinking and oversleeping.  I did not know this at the time and just thought that I lived close and could get a better jump start on opening at 5 am.  So, by my lonesome, I starting opening procedures, prepping for breakfast, making sure everything was ready for a 6 am open.  At around 5:30 am I am getting worried because I can't open the safe for money.   I called DM and said AM isn't here and I am ready except for the tills.  He arrives at 10 minutes before the doors open and takes the whole airpot of coffee to the office to start the till counting for the morning.  He smells like alcohol and looks to have had a rough night.  He jokes that he is always late and is happy that I got everything ready and hopes that I didn't worry too much.  I said I didn't worry at all cause DM was on her way to open the tills.  He gets mad at me and yells why did I call DM and he was going to be fired and starts to blame me for the downfall of his life.  I yelled back.  DM shows up, they shut the door, and he comes storming out 30 minutes later.  DM finds me, other workers had arrived, and asks if everything is ok.  I told her I was fine but next time to give me heads up if she was going to use me to help fire someone because I didn't like it.  She apologized.  That is how I learned to ask questions, lots of questions, if something is different in procedures.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #6033 on: July 18, 2014, 06:41:31 PM »
Oh myyyy....

The manager of a store noticed a company check missing, and started looking into it. It seems one of his employees had  forged the check to pay for services rendered after a practitioner of the oldest profession walked in and made him an offer. He's not only out a job, he's also facing charges, and has seriously limited his post-release job prospects.

http://www.fox8live.com/story/26046140/police-slidell-man-caught-on-camera-with-prostitute?hpt=ju_bn2
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6034 on: July 18, 2014, 10:26:45 PM »
Oh myyyy....

The manager of a store noticed a company check missing, and started looking into it. It seems one of his employees had  forged the check to pay for services rendered after a practitioner of the oldest profession walked in and made him an offer. He's not only out a job, he's also facing charges, and has seriously limited his post-release job prospects.

http://www.fox8live.com/story/26046140/police-slidell-man-caught-on-camera-with-prostitute?hpt=ju_bn2

A check...really? In my city, they have credit card readers :)

MERUNCC13

• A proud member of the Niner Nation!
« Reply #6035 on: July 18, 2014, 10:31:27 PM »
oops... ::)
Life likes to be taken by the hand and told, I'm with you, let's go! Maya Angelou

alkira6

« Reply #6036 on: July 19, 2014, 02:16:36 AM »
Oh myyyy....

Yup. One "lady" has a paypal account. She bragged about it in her ad in our local free paper.

becktheriddler

« Reply #6037 on: July 19, 2014, 10:24:22 AM »
I love that the police says you can't make this stuff up. That's because no one would believe it.
By Grabthat's Hammer...what a savings!

HoneyBee42

« Reply #6038 on: July 19, 2014, 08:24:10 PM »
I love that the police says you can't make this stuff up. That's because no one would believe it.
Yep--no fiction writer would include such a scenario because it's too unbelievable ... only in the news.

medowynd

« Reply #6039 on: July 20, 2014, 01:13:23 AM »
I used to represent employers in unemployment hearings.  My favorite case was the telephone repairman that was caught soliciting a lady of the night, in his company truck.  He was issued a summons by the local police.  The repairman was fired and denied benefits, he appealed and was again denied unemployment benefits.

Another repairman, driving a company truck, flipped off a driver of another car.  That driver, just happened to be the wife of the director, of the section of the company.  The repairman survived losing his job, but it was a long time before he received any pay increases.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6040 on: July 20, 2014, 11:03:02 AM »
(I've messed up some words to try to keep out weird ads)

I don't remembrer if it is buried in an earlier post on this thread, but, about 10 years ago there was a scandal here when six on-duty firefighters took their engines to an event called "Pěrn Star Costume Ball." Apparently, the engines were used for fun & games and there was an accusation of scrabblish assault. (There was too little evidence to prosecute the assault case.)

The resulting investigation revealed that one crew was cruising bars in their trucks and picking up women, giving them rides on the firetrucks. They took women on some emergency calls. One crew took their truck to an adult bookstore to get a pěrn star's autograph.

Twenty-four firefighters were either dismissed or disciplined, or else resigned.

Just about the time that scandal died down, there were reports of male & female firefighters at one station engaging in group scrabble. One was dismissed; the others resigned. One had been a firefighter for over 10 years.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Library Dragon

« Reply #6041 on: July 21, 2014, 02:03:26 AM »
I'm hoping he doesn't get another acting job.  An actor was sentenced for using live rounds (instead of blanks) during a stage performance, wounding multiple people.

http://ethicsalarms.com/2014/07/20/now-this-is-an-unprofessional-actor

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

SoCalVal

« Reply #6042 on: July 21, 2014, 02:31:02 AM »
I'm hoping he doesn't get another acting job.  An actor was sentenced for using live rounds (instead of blanks) during a stage performance, wounding multiple people.

http://ethicsalarms.com/2014/07/20/now-this-is-an-unprofessional-actor

There's no method there; that's all stupidity.

I'm thinking his next "acting" job will be a multi-year run in a prison.

z_squared82

« Reply #6043 on: July 21, 2014, 11:39:25 AM »
Oh myyyy....

Seriously, haven't these people learned anything from Jerry Springer?! (Or is that just something we say in Cincinnati b/c he used to be our mayor and got busted on porstitution charges b/c he paid for services rendered with personal checks.)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #6044 on: July 23, 2014, 02:56:42 PM »
Back about 10 years ago, our then Region Manager was forced to step down.  Basically, she couldn't handle the job any more.  She was very lucky that they did not out right fire her.  Instead she was a given a job, where she would have to answer customer queries and complaints.  Annette was also given an unused office inside one of the DMV branch offices, and there was really no one monitoring her, so she could work at her own pace and come and go as she pleased.  She wasn't making as much money, but she still had full benefits and a decent salary, and she had been making a lot prior to her demotion.  She bought a new Jaguar every year, even after the demotion.

So where is the professional Darwinism?  Annette, after so many years of being the big cheese, couldn't stop.  Linda, the manager of the DMV where Annette's new office was, called the central office and complained.  "This is a very busy office.  How am I supposed to provide service to customers when Annette takes my staff away?"

Wait.  What?  Yes.  Annette would pull one clerk from the counter.  "I am very busy reading customer letters, and the phone is interrupting me.  Come sit in my office and answer my phone for me."  Then, "I need responses to customer letters typed up.  You come into my office and type them."  Close to 100 customers could be sitting waiting for service, but Annette would have two clerks sitting in her office while she went to lunch.

Linda gets a written email back from the Bureau Chief, cc'd to Annette.  "Annette is no longer a Region Manager.  Her current Civil Service rating is clerical.  She will perform her own clerical duties, and in fact if you need extra help, you are authorized to instruct her to work the counter."  It went on a little more, but it was a major slap in the face to Annette.

Linda later confided in me that she never would have asked Annette to work the counter.  Apart from the fact that it would have been like rubbing her face in it, Annette did not a clue how to process anything.  That was one of the reasons she had been demoted.  She couldn't get her underlings to perform because she had no real idea what they did.  I can tell someone that they are being inefficient in something, because I can do the same thing, only faster.  Annette had nothing.

After that, Annette kept her mouth shut, and her door closed.  Other not so nice managers might have followed up on the threat in the email.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy