News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 18, 2017, 04:35:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3700409 times)

darling

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #6045 on: July 25, 2014, 10:56:37 AM »
The cashier grabbed the box, flipped it upside down and attempted to scan it.

I saw this coming, yet flinched when I read it.

If I were the manager, I'd send the cashier to my office to wait, while I personally did everything in my power to get the customer a new cake. Then, I'd go explain in great detail to the cashier why she was being fired, with the HR person present. You can't fix that kind of stupid.

bloo

« Reply #6046 on: July 25, 2014, 11:05:23 AM »
I couldn't find an Absolute Stupidity thread, and I suspect this cashier is on her way out of a job, so putting this here. 

Yesterday at the grocery store, I was coming down the bakery aisle and witnessed a woman getting a special order cake from the bakery.  She and the bakery worker were very careful in handling the box and getting it settled in the woman's cart.  I grabbed my stuff and headed up front.

Got behind cake woman in line.  The box was a not-terribly-large, rectangular box, and had the order slip with the bar code price tag attached taped with one piece of tape to the top of the box.  Cake Woman took the order sheet off the box and handed it to the cashier.  All the cashier had to do was scan it.  Nope.  The cashier demanded that the woman place the order sheet/barcode back on the bakery box and place the box on the belt.  The woman very carefully lifted the box out of her cart and sat it on the belt as instructed.

The cashier grabbed the box, flipped it upside down and attempted to scan it.  The order sheet fluttered, so she kept at it, running the box back and forth over the scanner.  She finally turned the box upright, tore off the order sheet, and scanned it.  She then took the box and placed it on end in a grocery bag, having to push the sides of the box in to get it to fit, pulled the bag off the stand and laid it on the counter, with the bakery box upside down.  During the original flipping of the box, I could see this mishmash of icing on the window in the bakery box, so the cake was a mess.  Having the sides of the box compressed probably didn't help.

Cake woman stood there in wordless shock, with her mouth open.  The cashier said something to the woman about paying.

I got in another line, and as I was leaving, Cake Woman was still there, but the manager was present.

I...I just...I can't...there are no words.

There was no way really for Cake Woman to protect her cake from Brain-dead cashier. She followed directions and look what happened. I'd have done the same thing. Would I have assumed that the cashier wasn't paying attention and wouldn't treat the cake with care? And then refused to hand it to her? Admonished her to be careful with it before I knew she was a brain-dead moron (I know that's harsh but I'd be so angry I'd be choking on it).

Specky, I'd really be interested in an update at some point if you see that cashier still working in the store.

magicdomino

« Reply #6047 on: July 25, 2014, 12:35:51 PM »
The cashier grabbed the box, flipped it upside down and attempted to scan it.

I saw this coming, yet flinched when I read it.

I expected the cashier to absent-mindedly flip the cake over.  I didn't expect her to flip it this way and that way and squeeze it in the bag sideways.   :o   Even if this is her first day as a cashier, surely she's been a customer enough to know that decorated cakes must be right side up at all times.   :-\

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #6048 on: July 25, 2014, 12:37:39 PM »
How, just HOW, could that cashier still be working there?  Like Specky said, the stupid is so strong in her that she can't be fixed.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #6049 on: July 25, 2014, 12:46:38 PM »
The only possible excuse is that she may have been told that barcodes had to still be attached to the original item, to keep someone from handing over a barcode for a cheap item in place of a removed original that would have revealed a much higher price.  But insisting that a barcode that was removed in front of her had to be put back, and then abusing Cake Lady's purchase?  No excuse at all.  I would be putting the voice training to work to call the manager without bothering with the PA system. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

Arila

« Reply #6050 on: July 25, 2014, 02:32:18 PM »
Cake woman stood there in wordless shock, with her mouth open.  The cashier said something to the woman about paying.

It's been 30 seconds since I read this. My mouth still won't close.

eltf177

« Reply #6051 on: July 25, 2014, 03:12:58 PM »
I would _love_ to know what lengths the store manager went to in order to pacify a justifiably angry customer...

whatsanenigma

« Reply #6052 on: July 25, 2014, 03:26:34 PM »
The only possible excuse is that she may have been told that barcodes had to still be attached to the original item, to keep someone from handing over a barcode for a cheap item in place of a removed original that would have revealed a much higher price.  But insisting that a barcode that was removed in front of her had to be put back, and then abusing Cake Lady's purchase?  No excuse at all.  I would be putting the voice training to work to call the manager without bothering with the PA system.

Also, surely she was trained on what to do with a customer comes through with a custom cake!  Now, granted, someone might have forgotten that part of her training and she might genuinely have not known what to do.  But surely, common sense would tell you don't flip a cake upside down.  If she truly had never seen a customer come through the line with such a cake before and didn't know what to do, she should have called her manager and asked.  I really hope she doesn't have a job anymore, and that why she doesn't gets around.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #6053 on: July 25, 2014, 04:43:35 PM »

Also, surely she was trained on what to do with a customer comes through with a custom cake!  Now, granted, someone might have forgotten that part of her training and she might genuinely have not known what to do. But surely, common sense would tell you don't flip a cake upside down. If she truly had never seen a customer come through the line with such a cake before and didn't know what to do, she should have called her manager and asked.  I really hope she doesn't have a job anymore, and that why she doesn't gets around.
Any kind of baked goods, really.  Generic decorated cakes out of the cooler, pies, pecan rolls, etc. Even cookies can be broken and mooshed throwing the box around.
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

poundcake

« Reply #6054 on: July 25, 2014, 04:44:45 PM »

Same here. I don't think I would have been able to stop from yelling, "What are you doing?!" if I'd seen that, my cake or not.

Marga

« Reply #6055 on: July 25, 2014, 07:10:14 PM »

Same here. I don't think I would have been able to stop from yelling, "What are you doing?!" if I'd seen that, my cake or not.

The stupidity, it hurts. And a cake as well. There are no words.

Specky

« Reply #6056 on: July 25, 2014, 08:54:27 PM »
I did pass by that checkout very slowly due to my morbid curiosity.  Cake Woman had found her voice and was in an animated discussion with the manager.  The manager was shooting looks at the cashier, who was standing there in what I call the "Whatever" pose, doing the open mouth gum chew and twirling her hair.  Poster child for PD.

I wonder if this was a teen who was forced to get a summer job and was doing all she could to get out of that summer job.  I have a hard time seeing how anyone could do something like that.

However, something similar happened to me.  I whipped into the store to pick up an Emergency Birthday Cake and found something suitable in the generic cake section.  This was a round layer cake that was decorated and under a plastic dome.  Took it up front and placed it gently on the belt.  Cashier picked it up and turned it over to find where the bar code was (it was on the side, so you didn't have to do that, good grief).  This cashier realized that she had done something, and had someone go fetch another cake to replace it, amid many apologies.  This was at the same chain as the other cake episode, but in a different location.  My cashier had only a momentary lapse.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #6057 on: July 25, 2014, 09:04:39 PM »
I did pass by that checkout very slowly due to my morbid curiosity.  Cake Woman had found her voice and was in an animated discussion with the manager.  The manager was shooting looks at the cashier, who was standing there in what I call the "Whatever" pose, doing the open mouth gum chew and twirling her hair.  Poster child for PD.

I wonder if this was a teen who was forced to get a summer job and was doing all she could to get out of that summer job.  I have a hard time seeing how anyone could do something like that.

However, something similar happened to me.  I whipped into the store to pick up an Emergency Birthday Cake and found something suitable in the generic cake section.  This was a round layer cake that was decorated and under a plastic dome.  Took it up front and placed it gently on the belt.  Cashier picked it up and turned it over to find where the bar code was (it was on the side, so you didn't have to do that, good grief).  This cashier realized that she had done something, and had someone go fetch another cake to replace it, amid many apologies.  This was at the same chain as the other cake episode, but in a different location.  My cashier had only a momentary lapse.

I forgive people errors that they immediately notice and correct - after all, we are all human, and we all do really stupid things every once in awhile.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #6058 on: July 28, 2014, 11:31:56 AM »

Also, surely she was trained on what to do with a customer comes through with a custom cake!  Now, granted, someone might have forgotten that part of her training and she might genuinely have not known what to do. But surely, common sense would tell you don't flip a cake upside down. If she truly had never seen a customer come through the line with such a cake before and didn't know what to do, she should have called her manager and asked.  I really hope she doesn't have a job anymore, and that why she doesn't gets around.
Any kind of baked goods, really.  Generic decorated cakes out of the cooler, pies, pecan rolls, etc. Even cookies can be broken and mooshed throwing the box around.

Very true!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #6059 on: July 28, 2014, 02:24:43 PM »
Wayne Brady on Let's Make A Deal asked contestants "what's the best part of your job." The contestant who was a nanny cheerfully answered "I get paid under the table!" Smart move, honey  ::)