Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1370903 times)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #6045 on: July 23, 2014, 03:55:02 PM »
I'm hoping he doesn't get another acting job.  An actor was sentenced for using live rounds (instead of blanks) during a stage performance, wounding multiple people.

http://ethicsalarms.com/2014/07/20/now-this-is-an-unprofessional-actor

Yikes! Handling firearms on stage or in TV or film is a very big deal. Your prop people should be the ones handling the weapons and they need to be double- and triple-checked.

Related story:

I sail tall ships (see the link in my sig.) and we often do gun battles at sea, with paying passengers. The ships have a variety of weapons, from a large deck gun, to rail-mounted swivel guns to dinky little things. The larger weapons, someone on the crew has to pack the charges. Some of the dinky little ones use shotgun shells. You're supposed to use blank shells for these, not any that contain shot.

One ship that uses one of these guns was out in a gun battle when they ran out of shells on deck. Someone went below and grabbed a box of live shells! They loaded a live shell, fired it and managed to hit another ship, including two people. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/tall-371072-ship-festival.html.

The ship in question has always had a "cowboy" reputation. The captain was charged with negligence, but I don't know the outcome.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

MrTango

« Reply #6046 on: July 23, 2014, 05:09:52 PM »
The ship in question has always had a "cowboy" reputation. The captain was charged with negligence, but I don't know the outcome.

Good.  The captain is responsible for the conduct of the crew under his/her command.  Of course, I'd hope the person (or people) who loaded and fired live rounds would also be charged.

snowfire

« Reply #6047 on: July 23, 2014, 10:57:14 PM »
What on earth were they doing with live rounds even aboard the ship??? :o

TeamBhakta

« Reply #6048 on: July 23, 2014, 11:46:24 PM »
A marine biologist had his research plagiarized by a 12 year old, the daughter of his former supervisor's best friend.

http://www.cflas.org/was-lionfish-research-hijacked-by-12-year-old-from-palm-beach-florida/

http://www.newser.com/story/191365/marine-biologist-6th-grader-stole-my-idea.html

Reika

« Reply #6049 on: July 23, 2014, 11:57:47 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering that. :)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6050 on: July 24, 2014, 01:07:00 AM »
A marine biologist had his research plagiarized by a 12 year old, the daughter of his former supervisor's best friend.

http://www.cflas.org/was-lionfish-research-hijacked-by-12-year-old-from-palm-beach-florida/

http://www.newser.com/story/191365/marine-biologist-6th-grader-stole-my-idea.html

I feel bad for Zud.  He's right...it will look like he's trying to steel a little girl's thunder and I'm sure people are going to haze him even though it's clearly his work.  At 12/13 years old, I knew better than to plagiarize or even have a parent do my project for me!  Her father is going to lose a lot of clout over this, and well he should.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #6051 on: July 24, 2014, 09:46:11 AM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering that. :)

Trust me, the rest of us in the Tall Ship community were wondering the same thing.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6052 on: July 24, 2014, 10:42:53 AM »

I feel bad for Zud.  He's right...it will look like he's trying to steel a little girl's thunder and I'm sure people are going to haze him even though it's clearly his work.  At 12/13 years old, I knew better than to plagiarize or even have a parent do my project for me!  Her father is going to lose a lot of clout over this, and well he should.

Poor guy. I agree- he's going to get blamed by a lot of people. Hopefully academia will hammer Dad on this one.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6053 on: July 24, 2014, 11:18:08 AM »

Poor guy. I agree- he's going to get blamed by a lot of people. Hopefully academia will hammer Dad on this one.

I've been reading some of the articles and it looks like many institutions and media are coming down on Jud's side, not the 12 year old.  One institution actually came right out and said they were sorry for attributing it to her and not him.  They didn't use the word plagiarize, but did use words like honesty and integrity :)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6054 on: July 24, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »
I guess I can't blame her all that much, either - it's not like science fair projects are usually held to an academic standard of "nobody has ever done this ever."  I can see coming up with the idea, her dad helping her refine it, and assuming it would be good for a sixth-grader - not expecting her results to be catapulted into the realm of news and public policy and all that. As a science fair project, there's nothing wrong with saying "this is an idea and I got a proof of concept and it's kind of cool" without expecting more.

Rather, I would place the blame on whoever took a science fair project and made assertions/assumptions about it being the first research on that topic without doing a survey of existing studies.  That could have been her, her dad, the media, someone at the science fair, etc. - really haven't seen that detail in any of the coverage.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #6055 on: July 24, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »
I agree with Slartibartfast.  A science fair project isn't a thesis paper; they usually replicate some sort of experiment that has already been done.  I think her basic concept was fantastic and it sounds like she did a lot of research, then set up a basic experiment.  I wouldn't even have necessarily have expected a 12-year-old to recognize, when others jumped on her project and said, "This is original, this goes beyond what anybody else has done," for her to recognize whether or not it really was original.  I mean, so many "new" concepts are built on old ones and are maybe even just slight variants that prove new things. 

But I *do* think that her father should have recognized it, and these science news people should have recognized it before jumping all over the story, etc.  Also, her father?  What an elitist snob he comes across as, with all of his attitude of "well, it doesn't matter whether you did the work or not, you're just a graduate student and people would rather hear about the work of a *professor*, so it doesn't matter if they incorrectly attribute it to the wrong person because nobody wants to hear about the work of a graduate student who isn't a professor."  Yuck.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6056 on: July 24, 2014, 11:53:08 PM »
I guess I can't blame her all that much, either - it's not like science fair projects are usually held to an academic standard of "nobody has ever done this ever."  I can see coming up with the idea, her dad helping her refine it, and assuming it would be good for a sixth-grader - not expecting her results to be catapulted into the realm of news and public policy and all that. As a science fair project, there's nothing wrong with saying "this is an idea and I got a proof of concept and it's kind of cool" without expecting more.

Rather, I would place the blame on whoever took a science fair project and made assertions/assumptions about it being the first research on that topic without doing a survey of existing studies.  That could have been her, her dad, the media, someone at the science fair, etc. - really haven't seen that detail in any of the coverage.

As someone who knows nothing about Marine Biology, I absolutely thought this little girl solely made an amazing discovery about Lionfish. Nowhere did it even mention the other man, except a blurb at the end about how he had taken the experiment a step further and found the fish can survive in even less salinity. I think if the girl and her father didn't intentionally mislead people, they certainly didn't try very hard to get the truth out there. I haven't seen any indication that, as soon as the story broke, they tried to contact any media outlets and say "No, wait, you got it wrong!"

I think the coincidence is far too strong for her father not to have influenced her and she's old enough to know better. Unless the dad admits that he suggested her topic and she had no idea the work was already underway, they should both be embarrassed.

edited to add- I've done a bit more digging on this and one thing that really sticks out to me is that both the girl and her dad claimed that, until her project, nobody had studied whether or not the fish were in rivers. Well that's funny because her dad is named on a paper about that very subject, that was published before her project. Did he simply forget? She did cite some of those other papers but not the one about lionfish in estuaries. Is it because she was unaware that the study had been done? If so, she's off the hook, but he's not.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:53:33 AM by JenJay »

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6057 on: July 25, 2014, 09:39:39 AM »
I'm just astonished that we were expected to believe a 12 year old girl obtained six lionfish (you know, large poisonous fish?) and all their accoutrements by herself. She didn't go out with a guppy net and scoop them up out of the local stream. It's sort of like seeing a soap box derby entry that has a precision-milled fibreglass body, and $10,000 worth of undercarriage. "Yes, it's my own work, the fact that my father is a designer at a major automotive company is totally unconnected."

Clearly this was a project mostly done by an adult, and while a 12 year old will most likely *not* be aware of the details of what is and isn't plagiarism, her father most certainly is. I suspect that Daddy wants people to believe his princess is a genius. Doing it on his own is bad enough, but doing it by stealing someone else's work and ideas is horrible.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Specky

« Reply #6058 on: July 25, 2014, 10:47:19 AM »
I couldn't find an Absolute Stupidity thread, and I suspect this cashier is on her way out of a job, so putting this here. 

Yesterday at the grocery store, I was coming down the bakery aisle and witnessed a woman getting a special order cake from the bakery.  She and the bakery worker were very careful in handling the box and getting it settled in the woman's cart.  I grabbed my stuff and headed up front.

Got behind cake woman in line.  The box was a not-terribly-large, rectangular box, and had the order slip with the bar code price tag attached taped with one piece of tape to the top of the box.  Cake Woman took the order sheet off the box and handed it to the cashier.  All the cashier had to do was scan it.  Nope.  The cashier demanded that the woman place the order sheet/barcode back on the bakery box and place the box on the belt.  The woman very carefully lifted the box out of her cart and sat it on the belt as instructed.

The cashier grabbed the box, flipped it upside down and attempted to scan it.  The order sheet fluttered, so she kept at it, running the box back and forth over the scanner.  She finally turned the box upright, tore off the order sheet, and scanned it.  She then took the box and placed it on end in a grocery bag, having to push the sides of the box in to get it to fit, pulled the bag off the stand and laid it on the counter, with the bakery box upside down.  During the original flipping of the box, I could see this mishmash of icing on the window in the bakery box, so the cake was a mess.  Having the sides of the box compressed probably didn't help.

Cake woman stood there in wordless shock, with her mouth open.  The cashier said something to the woman about paying.

I got in another line, and as I was leaving, Cake Woman was still there, but the manager was present. 

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6059 on: July 25, 2014, 10:52:45 AM »
I'd have started crying right there if that was my cake, but I am also very emotional right now.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas