Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1423960 times)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #6090 on: July 30, 2014, 10:04:57 PM »
Like the time a doctor came by our office to check out.  Nice lady, but very lousy dictator.  When she walked out the door one of my co-workers stood up and cheered silently.  The boss was horrified - "What if she came back in here?"  The co-worker said, "I'd pretend I was stretching."

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #6091 on: July 30, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
This isn't likely to be proper PD - the person concerned is a very Special Snowflake and has been cruising on seniority for a long time - but our easy-going supervisor was annoyed enough to be firm and eventually got an apology, so it's something.

When you're told "Do A instead of B, it's a safety issue," the proper response is not "It's fine, I'm keeping an eye on it."

When you're told it's not fine, the proper response isn't "Well I've been doing B for ages!"

And then when you're told to do it right, the proper response is not "Don't tell me what to do! I know what I'm doing!" ::)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6092 on: July 31, 2014, 01:18:50 AM »
There is very definitely going to be some PD fallout from this one . . .

My friend's daughter Kay had surgery recently.  Kay has some fairly significant and extremely rare medical problems - my friend has a two-inch-thick binder of medical history she has to bring every time they see a doctor because most medical personnel have never even heard of Kay's illness - but she's just generally medically fragile and anyone with half a brain would notice the signs (either in the chart or meeting Kay in person) and would check before doing something stupid.

Not the head nurse in the pediatric ward, apparently.  After Kay's surgery, she was supposed to stay under close supervision for 2-3 days.  Instead, she got about eight hours in the pediatric ward before the head nurse announced that they were short on beds (despite having several empty rooms) and Kay would have to be moved to a different floor.  This was a problem because the pediatric rooms had some medical equipment Kay sometimes needs in an emergency (she has breathing issues) and the other floor didn't, but my friend kept getting brushed off so they shunted Kay off to a room in the sleep study wing which wasn't being used.

Issue #1: the room next door was under construction.  Very, very loud construction, starting very early in the morning.  Friend complained and was told there were no other beds available.

Issue #2: when morning came and workmen were in the next room, it became apparent that the mirrored wall in the sleep study room was, in fact, a one-way mirror.  And it became apparent that the workmen had been watching my friend and Kay all morning.  My friend complained again - the issue was "fixed" by a workman putting up garbage bags over the mirror.

Issue #3: My friend went next door to ask the workmen about the noise (it was approaching Kay's naptime) . . . only to discover that there was a GIANT computer monitor in the room, broadcasting a video feed from Kay's room.  Where my friend had changed after her shower, and had tended to Kay's medical needs (which involve undressing her).  Needless to say, my friend was NOT pleased.  Complained straight up to the top this time and got someone in administration - not a head honcho, but someone who appeared genuinely shocked at the treatment she had received and was eager to help.  He called in a meeting with the pediatric floor nurse to figure out what the $$#@$@# was going on.

Issue #4: Nurse's answer as to why there were "no beds" when there were clearly empty rooms: "Oh, we save those for cancer patients who might be immunocompromised."  At which my friend BLEW UP, because it's VERY CLEAR on Kay's medical charts that she is immunocompromised too - albeit not from cancer - and why wasn't she put in one of those rooms in the first place?  And why wasn't she given access to the potentially lifesaving medical equipment in the pediatric ward during her recovery?  And whose bright idea was it to stick them in a room with a live video feed next to tremendously loud construction?

I'm not going to get into speculation on why the nurse made the decisions she did, because it could get political, but it comes down to Kay being part of a group which often has to deal with tremendous discrimination - on top of all her other medical issues - and it's looking like this was flat-out prejudice on the part of whoever was giving the room assignments.  There were SEVERAL other rooms - not all of which were reserved for cancer patients - and the only reason Kay might have been assigned this one was out of spite.

The helpful administrator hasn't gotten back to my friend yet, at least not that I've heard, but it sounds like the nurse may not have a job all that much longer.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #6093 on: July 31, 2014, 10:03:40 AM »
Wow, that's really awful, Slartibartfast.  I know they haven't heard back from the administrator yet, but has Kay at least been moved back down to one of the nice empty rooms on the pediatric floor?

Hillia

« Reply #6094 on: July 31, 2014, 10:11:14 AM »
That is awful...but why on earth didn't Kay's doctors get involved?  Doctors I've known would have resolved that situation right quick.  Surely her doctors were in and out during those days?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6095 on: July 31, 2014, 10:54:13 AM »
That is awful...but why on earth didn't Kay's doctors get involved?  Doctors I've known would have resolved that situation right quick.  Surely her doctors were in and out during those days?

I don't know, and I only heard about the situation via my friend so I don't have the firsthand story.  Kay did end up coming home earlier than the doctors originally wanted, in part because my friend pointed out they actually had better medical equipment at home than the hospital had  :-\  Kay is going to be homebound for a while as she finishes healing, but this was a somewhat risky surgery to start with and her condition means she goes through a lot of stuff like this, so that wasn't unexpected.  My heart goes out to her and my friend, though - they run into this kind of thing ALL THE TIME, although not usually quite on this scale  :'(

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6096 on: July 31, 2014, 02:34:42 PM »
A Georgia high school principal was involved in DUI, two collisions, and a hit and run in one night. He woke up in the hospital and resigned from his job.

http://www.northfulton.com/Articles-TOP-STORIES-c-2014-07-30-204707.114126-sub-Milton-High-principal-resigns-over-DUI.html

z_squared82

« Reply #6097 on: July 31, 2014, 02:40:45 PM »
A Georgia high school principal was involved in DUI, two collisions, and a hit and run in one night. He woke up in the hospital and resigned from his job.

http://www.northfulton.com/Articles-TOP-STORIES-c-2014-07-30-204707.114126-sub-Milton-High-principal-resigns-over-DUI.html

Oh, reminds me of my university president!

When I was a senior, a very popular freshman was killed by a drunk driver just off campus.

The following year, the university president gets arrested for DUI.

I do believe he "retired" at the end of the school year.

(I think there would have been anger at the DUI alone, but with the death the year before, there was significant outrage.)

lilfox

« Reply #6098 on: July 31, 2014, 05:32:28 PM »
If your manager questions you about your repeated (three times in a year) and suspicious (all coinciding with long holiday weekends) use of bereavement leave, do you:
A) fess up to abusing the system to get paid leave because you thought no one would be so insensitive as to pry? Or
B) create homemade "newspaper" articles to substantiate your leaves?

The articles didn't hold up to a Google search, and it turned out to be double PD as the guy's wife, who worked at the same company but for a different manager, had of course done the same thing.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6099 on: July 31, 2014, 08:08:26 PM »
If your manager questions you about your repeated (three times in a year) and suspicious (all coinciding with long holiday weekends) use of bereavement leave, do you:
A) fess up to abusing the system to get paid leave because you thought no one would be so insensitive as to pry? Or
B) create homemade "newspaper" articles to substantiate your leaves?

The articles didn't hold up to a Google search, and it turned out to be double PD as the guy's wife, who worked at the same company but for a different manager, had of course done the same thing.

*laughs hysterically*

TeamBhakta

« Reply #6100 on: July 31, 2014, 10:49:48 PM »
One of the HOA neighborhoods here has a club house, pool and water slides. A local school rented the pool for a band party. 15 to 20 kids rode a slide at once; a section of the slide broke off and fell 15 feet into a 4 foot deep pond behind the pool. You could tell our school board official was mentally praying to the ghost of Johnnie Cochran when asked if the kids had been told not to do that ("Oh, we have rules in place. This is tragic...")

Elisabunny

« Reply #6101 on: July 31, 2014, 11:45:55 PM »

I don't know, and I only heard about the situation via my friend so I don't have the firsthand story.  Kay did end up coming home earlier than the doctors originally wanted, in part because my friend pointed out they actually had better medical equipment at home than the hospital had  :-\  Kay is going to be homebound for a while as she finishes healing, but this was a somewhat risky surgery to start with and her condition means she goes through a lot of stuff like this, so that wasn't unexpected.  My heart goes out to her and my friend, though - they run into this kind of thing ALL THE TIME, although not usually quite on this scale  :'(

Wow.  I've experienced a lot of stupidity in dealing with my kids' medical stuff, but nothing even remotely like this.  I hope heads roll.  >:( 
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #6102 on: August 02, 2014, 05:24:49 AM »
One of our supervisors has had feedback both informally and on their formal review about the need to provide more 1:1 support to their staff and working with them in a way that makes them feel supported and cared for etc.

The staff on this team perform, in addition to their regular work, "Task A" which is shared across the teams, nobody likes doing, but is a necessity.    Recently, after a management team discussion about workload and priorities we asked this supervisor discuss with the staff in their team whether they would be interested in performing "Task B" (no extra pay, but not a particularly challenging task) in exchange for no longer having to perform "Task A"  (slightly extra pay but something we know they don't want to be doing).   We were fairly confident they'd be happy with the trade-off just because Task A is so undesirable, but obviously we need to consult them.  One would think that the right approach would be to - let's say - discuss it openly in their team meeting.  I would have thought the clear wording of asking them to discuss it and see if they would be happy would indicate that a discussion was needed.   Supervisors idea of how to address it?  Sending the following email to the team:

Hi team, from September you will all be allocated "Task B" every week, talk Monday!  Cheers <supervisor>

Note that the email doesn't even address the fact that they will no longer have to perform Task A.   < face palm >   Oh yeah, they weren't happy that a big, unpaid, after hours task was being dumped in their role.  (Which it's not!)  I got that straightened out, but if supervisor doesn't get her act together soon she will not have staff under her much longer!!   I just can't believe anybody would think that's a smart leadership strategy.  Lack of empathy with her staff and complete inability to understand their perspective.   ::)
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6103 on: August 02, 2014, 12:41:29 PM »
she wrote "Cheers" REALLY!  Cheers?!?!  Who does that?

*facepalm*

perpetua

« Reply #6104 on: August 02, 2014, 12:51:04 PM »
she wrote "Cheers" REALLY!  Cheers?!?!  Who does that?

*facepalm*

What's wrong with cheers? I write that in emails all the time.