Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1377098 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #6135 on: August 08, 2014, 10:06:29 AM »
Oh, another classic case of plagiarism - complete with the offender heading off to Amazon to post 1 star reviews on all the works of the author who called him/her out. http://rachelannnunes.blogspot.ca/2014/08/standing-against-plagarism.html
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #6136 on: August 08, 2014, 10:54:07 AM »
I heard about that, too!  Apparently the kids weren't there yet (this was Monday, and the kids don't go back to school until today).  Still, yeah, that's an effective way to commit PD on your very first day.

What do you call it when it makes your chances of any jobs being not merely dead, but extinct?  PD doesn't seem to be a strong enough term for this one...

Actually, Darwinism seems just about right. But yea, he didn't so much burn a bridge at a particular job or local area, as drop a tactical nuke on an entire career field. I suspect it will be a loooong looooong time before anyone would consider hiring him in any education-related position - not even to clean bathrooms at a university.

Actually, it was a woman.  I've seen her mug shot.  It's such an awkward story.

And I was wondering if she'd been roofied but the story said they found open vodka in her car and she admitted to drinking.  Man.  Talk about a career killer.  I hope she seeks treatment because it sounds like she needs it.

Jones

« Reply #6137 on: August 08, 2014, 11:21:54 AM »
Oh, another classic case of plagiarism - complete with the offender heading off to Amazon to post 1 star reviews on all the works of the author who called him/her out. http://rachelannnunes.blogspot.ca/2014/08/standing-against-plagarism.html
Wow! I met Rachel Nunes once about 10-12 years ago. I went to a conference she was speaking at. She came across as such a warm and wonderful person; I'm so sorry to see her going through this phantom mess. Ugh. And bonus negative points to the phantom plagiarizer for trying to spread misinformation on Mormons and their faith while attempting to destroy Rachel's good name.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6138 on: August 08, 2014, 11:58:11 AM »
A wonderful colleague started a new job today at a different part of our university. Because the transition of someone doing his job was going to be a big and involved one, they hired his replacement in months ago and had that person trained. The day before the new person was to assume colleague's duties, the new person resigned. I don't know what happened but the staff is reeling.

weeblewobble

« Reply #6139 on: August 08, 2014, 04:36:33 PM »
One of the HOA neighborhoods here has a club house, pool and water slides. A local school rented the pool for a band party. 15 to 20 kids rode a slide at once; a section of the slide broke off and fell 15 feet into a 4 foot deep pond behind the pool. You could tell our school board official was mentally praying to the ghost of Johnnie Cochran when asked if the kids had been told not to do that ("Oh, we have rules in place. This is tragic...")

Was anyone seriously injured?

TeamBhakta

« Reply #6140 on: August 08, 2014, 07:42:53 PM »
One of the HOA neighborhoods here has a club house, pool and water slides. A local school rented the pool for a band party. 15 to 20 kids rode a slide at once; a section of the slide broke off and fell 15 feet into a 4 foot deep pond behind the pool. You could tell our school board official was mentally praying to the ghost of Johnnie Cochran when asked if the kids had been told not to do that ("Oh, we have rules in place. This is tragic...")

Was anyone seriously injured?

Nobody died. The injuries were fairly minor, considering how bad it could've been. Although one girl was randomly sent to a different hospital than the rest of the kids, for back and neck injuries. What's hilarious (in a scrabbled up way) is that everyone is playing Cover Your Behind on both sides. Parents don't want to talk on camera (because, duh, they'll eventually sue). The pool employees  = nope, can't talk. School = "cough cough, we're looking into the matter." You should've seen what happened when the news talked to a parent who lives in the neighborhood, had a teen daughter who was a lifeguard on duty that night *and* he's a band manager for the school. That guy was very insistent about "I don't want to talk and I don't want my kid to talk to you and btw my kid did her job." The people who are freely spilling are random teens in the neighborhood  & someolder folks. It's usually "Oh yeah, my friends and I have gone down the slide 4 at a time. Everyone does it, nobody says a word  ;D" and "I've spotted kids doing that. You can see them from here usually. I don't know why the lifeguards don't stop it"

otterwoman

« Reply #6141 on: August 08, 2014, 10:12:52 PM »
http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Accused-Judge-Ordered-To-Undergo-Evaluations-270511021.html

Local to me. A judge was arrested for DUI with her triplets in the car, fleeing police and hit and run. She was given a probational release, and ordered to turn over her drivers license. The next morning (!), she was caught buying liquor, driving without her license, all with the kids in the car. She has been arrested again, and now held without bail. She has been ordered to have evaluations for mental and addiction issues.

weeblewobble

« Reply #6142 on: August 08, 2014, 10:23:06 PM »
Wow! I met Rachel Nunes once about 10-12 years ago. I went to a conference she was speaking at. She came across as such a warm and wonderful person; I'm so sorry to see her going through this phantom mess. Ugh. And bonus negative points to the phantom plagiarizer for trying to spread misinformation on Mormons and their faith while attempting to destroy Rachel's good name.

What is WRONG with people??!!!

Cherry91

« Reply #6143 on: August 09, 2014, 05:10:01 AM »

What is WRONG with people??!!!

I was reading some stuff about the situation, and the plagiarist keeps fabricating these massive elaborate stories about how she ended up stealing someone else's book and how this one makes it okay for sure. There's a point where you just want to say "Stop digging!"

BarensMom

« Reply #6144 on: August 09, 2014, 12:26:15 PM »
IMO, it's time Nunes lawyered up.  Just saying.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6145 on: August 09, 2014, 01:02:03 PM »
I think this is becoming a classic example of internet pathology. It's very similar to Munchausen's by Internet - the constantly shifting stories, the sock puppets, the claims of being a really incredible person with connections to really important people. Except instead of being a noble victim of illness (or parent of such a child), this person is a noble artist. And when his/her vision of themselves is attacked, he/she responds viciously.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #6146 on: August 09, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »

She has.

I posted about this on FB to a friend of mine who is involved in a lot of writing groups, and a friend of *hers* knows Rachel.  It felt like a 6-degrees of Kevin Bacon.  :)

I'd be pretty annoyed if a niece of mine took a story of mine, even if unpublished, and changed the wording a bit but otherwise used the same entire story.  I mean, it's one thing if I had a great idea, wrote a bit of it, then decided I didn't like how the writing went or I wasn't going to keep with it, and I suggested the general idea to somebody and told them they could write it.  But she just basically copied the entire book and changed the wording a bit.  It's like those kids who think that if they take the Wikipedia, copy the entire thing, change some words here or there, and think that it's no longer plagiarism because it's not a copy and paste.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #6147 on: August 09, 2014, 02:17:35 PM »

She has.

I posted about this on FB to a friend of mine who is involved in a lot of writing groups, and a friend of *hers* knows Rachel.  It felt like a 6-degrees of Kevin Bacon.  :)

I'd be pretty annoyed if a niece of mine took a story of mine, even if unpublished, and changed the wording a bit but otherwise used the same entire story.  I mean, it's one thing if I had a great idea, wrote a bit of it, then decided I didn't like how the writing went or I wasn't going to keep with it, and I suggested the general idea to somebody and told them they could write it.  But she just basically copied the entire book and changed the wording a bit.  It's like those kids who think that if they take the Wikipedia, copy the entire thing, change some words here or there, and think that it's no longer plagiarism because it's not a copy and paste.
It's getting worse. The individual seems to be going after the reviewers who provided Nunes and her lawyer with a copies of the manuscript. If this was a mistake as claimed, it seems a very odd way to react.

I still find it amazing that one reviewer told Nunes she should be grateful her book was plagiarised. That takes some nerve.

Tia2

« Reply #6148 on: August 09, 2014, 02:57:28 PM »

She has.

I thought the 'niece' bit was another lie?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6149 on: August 09, 2014, 03:00:04 PM »

...   I'd be pretty annoyed if a niece of mine took a story of mine, even if unpublished, and changed the wording a bit but otherwise used the same entire story.  ...

The real author says she only has one niece and that the niece is only nine years old currently.  So that's just another lie made up by the plagiarist.