Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1473224 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #6150 on: August 09, 2014, 03:14:49 PM »
IMO, it's time Nunes lawyered up.  Just saying.

...   I'd be pretty annoyed if a niece of mine took a story of mine, even if unpublished, and changed the wording a bit but otherwise used the same entire story.  ...

The real author says she only has one niece and that the niece is only nine years old currently.  So that's just another lie made up by the plagiarist.

Actually she said that she only has one married niece who was nine years old when the book was originally written but I agree that it was another lie.

Oops!  Sorry.  You're right. 

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #6151 on: August 09, 2014, 03:15:33 PM »
Oh, I agree that the whole niece thing is a lie.  I merely meant that it wouldn't justify her anyway, even if she *was* the niece.

Did anybody else notice the "niece" thing coming up twice, once from one of the nasty reviewers (who claimed to be a niece of somebody important-Sherri Dee or something?--which turned out to be a lie), and once from the author herself?  I'm pretty positive that the author is also that last reviewer, possibly both of the nasty reviewers.  We already know she has fake Amazon reviewer accounts, so I wouldn't put it past her to have fake blogger accounts where she is promoting her books.

weeblewobble

« Reply #6152 on: August 09, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »
Oh, another classic case of plagiarism - complete with the offender heading off to Amazon to post 1 star reviews on all the works of the author who called him/her out. http://rachelannnunes.blogspot.ca/2014/08/standing-against-plagarism.html
Wow! I met Rachel Nunes once about 10-12 years ago. I went to a conference she was speaking at. She came across as such a warm and wonderful person; I'm so sorry to see her going through this phantom mess. Ugh. And bonus negative points to the phantom plagiarizer for trying to spread misinformation on Mormons and their faith while attempting to destroy Rachel's good name.

What is WRONG with people??!!!

I was reading some stuff about the situation, and the plagiarist keeps fabricating these massive elaborate stories about how she ended up stealing someone else's book and how this one makes it okay for sure. There's a point where you just want to say "Stop digging!"

I'm more stunned by the people who criticize Nunes for complaining and tell her she should be FLATTERED that someone "updated" her old book.

poundcake

« Reply #6153 on: August 09, 2014, 05:40:49 PM »
Oh, another classic case of plagiarism - complete with the offender heading off to Amazon to post 1 star reviews on all the works of the author who called him/her out. http://rachelannnunes.blogspot.ca/2014/08/standing-against-plagarism.html
Wow! I met Rachel Nunes once about 10-12 years ago. I went to a conference she was speaking at. She came across as such a warm and wonderful person; I'm so sorry to see her going through this phantom mess. Ugh. And bonus negative points to the phantom plagiarizer for trying to spread misinformation on Mormons and their faith while attempting to destroy Rachel's good name.

I was reading some stuff about the situation, and the plagiarist keeps fabricating these massive elaborate stories about how she ended up stealing someone else's book and how this one makes it okay for sure. There's a point where you just want to say "Stop digging!"

I'm more stunned by the people who criticize Nunes for complaining and tell her she should be FLATTERED that someone "updated" her old book.

No kidding! Between that and the comments of the "quit whining" ilk, I had to stop reading at that point, I was so furious!

Jones

« Reply #6154 on: August 09, 2014, 06:12:19 PM »
Oh, I agree that the whole niece thing is a lie.  I merely meant that it wouldn't justify her anyway, even if she *was* the niece.

Did anybody else notice the "niece" thing coming up twice, once from one of the nasty reviewers (who claimed to be a niece of somebody important-Sherri Dee or something?--which turned out to be a lie), and once from the author herself?  I'm pretty positive that the author is also that last reviewer, possibly both of the nasty reviewers.  We already know she has fake Amazon reviewer accounts, so I wouldn't put it past her to have fake blogger accounts where she is promoting her books.
Sheri Dew. She is the president and CEO of an LDS book publishing company and a prominent female leader in the LDS church. Which is also the religion the plagiarist was attempting to slander to real reviewers.

I'm starting to see a pattern here, and would be willing to guess that at least some of the "people" telling Rachel Nunes to quit whining and be flattered are actually the plagiarist.

I'm glad she mentioned a couple times on that blog that she was lawyering up. Hopefully they're able to track this person down and get some straight answers, or at least a "cease and desist".

SoCalVal

« Reply #6155 on: August 09, 2014, 08:44:56 PM »

I've figured the anti-Nunes "reviewers" have all been the plagiarist.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6156 on: August 09, 2014, 10:37:15 PM »
This happens fairly often, actually - I know a dozen authors (as in, know them personally) who have found their books up for sale on various sites with very little changed - usually the title and sometimes the cover, occasionally the characters' names, but sometimes the plagiarist steals the whole book lock, stock, and barrel.  What makes this case unusual is that the plagiarist claims it wasn't their fault - usually the fake copy gets shut down / taken off the site, the fake author disappears, and something shows up by a different name later on.

I have to wonder, based on the dismal earnings rate most e-books make, whether plagiarizing a book is even worth it.  I mean, even the original author rarely sells more than a hundred copies, and they're able to advertise!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6157 on: August 09, 2014, 10:41:58 PM »
This was not simply a book that no one and ever read. It was by an established print author (probably why it got caught), and the plagiarist was flogging it to reviewers.

I suspect that the real reason, though, for the plagiarism is that the culprit loved having people admire "her" work. That's why the worst revenge she could think of was to give Nunes' other books a public downgrading.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6158 on: August 12, 2014, 01:30:31 PM »
Fifty-eight Percent of Employers Have Caught a Lie on a Resumé, According to a New CareerBuilder Survey

The press release includes "most memorable resumé lies" mentioned by employers. I like "Applicant claimed to be the assistant to the prime minister of a foreign country that doesn’t have a prime minister."

"Applicant applied twice for the same position and provided different work history on each application." is true PD. 

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #6159 on: August 12, 2014, 04:21:07 PM »
Fifty-eight Percent of Employers Have Caught a Lie on a Resumé, According to a New CareerBuilder Survey

The press release includes "most memorable resumé lies" mentioned by employers. I like "Applicant claimed to be the assistant to the prime minister of a foreign country that doesn’t have a prime minister."

"Applicant applied twice for the same position and provided different work history on each application." is true PD.

I heard that back when Silicon Valley was really booming, and they really needed programmers, people who had just taken a few programming classes would apply saying that they had a programming degree.  Or, those that hadn't graduated yet would say they had.  Those with programming degrees found themselves on equal footing with history degrees or non-graduates for a programming job.  So, they inflated their degree, and on and on.  PhD stood for "Probably Has Degree".  Many companies didn't bother to check the resume before hiring.  If the person wasn't working out, THEN they checked and could easily fire the person.  If the person was working out, they really didn't care. 

TeamBhakta

« Reply #6160 on: August 24, 2014, 10:28:47 PM »
Today I worked with one girl I'd never met before and another girl I'd only met one time. Within a few minutes of meeting, the first girl told me "I'll let you in on a little secret. It's an easy way to clean up in no time, every day. Shhh, it's a great secret. *drops voice* I take my company credit card to the dollar store, buy my own kitchen equipment and voila, nothing to clean up at the end of the day here. I just tuck them into my purse and bye bye, I clean them at home." Then she told the second girl "Oh honey, I got something for you, too. I bought your own set while I was at the dollar store. Spoons, serving tray, etc." Followed by pulling out item after kitchen item from her purse and lots of "Squee, squee, thank you! You're the best! *high five*" None of this is allowed by our company  :o At one point she asked me to use MY company credit card to buy things she wanted. Um, I'm afraid that won't be possible...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:30:46 PM by TeamBhakta »

Nikko-chan

« Reply #6161 on: August 24, 2014, 10:44:48 PM »
Today I worked with one girl I'd never met before and another girl I'd only met one time. Within a few minutes of meeting, the first girl told me "I'll let you in on a little secret. It's an easy way to clean up in no time, every day. Shhh, it's a great secret. *drops voice* I take my company credit card to the dollar store, buy my own kitchen equipment and voila, nothing to clean up at the end of the day here. I just tuck them into my purse and bye bye, I clean them at home." Then she told the second girl "Oh honey, I got something for you, too. I bought your own set while I was at the dollar store. Spoons, serving tray, etc." Followed by pulling out item after kitchen item from her purse and lots of "Squee, squee, thank you! You're the best! *high five*" None of this is allowed by our company  :o At one point she asked me to use MY company credit card to buy things she wanted. Um, I'm afraid that won't be possible...

Wait what? Spoons and a serving tray? Why on earth would she need those? Or was she cooking at work or....? I am sorry but I don't get it >.<

TeamBhakta

« Reply #6162 on: August 24, 2014, 10:52:07 PM »

Wait what? Spoons and a serving tray? Why on earth would she need those? Or was she cooking at work or....? I am sorry but I don't get it >.<

We hand out samples at grocery stores and cook them.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #6163 on: August 24, 2014, 10:56:29 PM »

We hand out samples at grocery stores and cook them.

The mind. It boggles. Thank you for explaining that further TeamBhakta! *shakes head* I can't believe that would be sanitary....

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6164 on: August 25, 2014, 10:50:56 AM »
But she'd have to clean the utensils at home, right? So this was all so that she could leave work a few minutes early?

The mind, it does boggle.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."