News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 22, 2017, 10:13:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3436927 times)

whatsanenigma

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #6165 on: September 02, 2014, 04:56:06 PM »
I am hoping this turns out to be professional darwinism for the sheriff and the school board and that they collectively lose everything.

A teacher  was suspended - not arrested but forceably taken for a mental health evaluation. He is a (self?) published author of a science fiction book that includes a school shooting. I haven't read the book - but the heroes are the people trying to stop the violence from what other's have said about the book. The book is available via kindle on amazon.

People are concerned that the author may not have access to a lawyer and the sheriff is refusing to reveal his location so that those concerned can check on him. The sheriff is also using inflammatory language. The book was published under a pseudonym like Benjamin Franklin, James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, JK Rowlings, Dr. Suess used.  The teacher also had a legal name change. The sheriff is calling the name changed and the pseudonym aliases. (Granted King George considered the first 4 to be criminals)

The book apparently isn't that good - the positive reviews are in reaction to the author being taken to mental health facility for a book based on a fairly typical sci fi trope - the world has gone to hell and America, land of the free, has turned into a dictatorship. There are many negative reviews about horrible writing.

http://www.loweringthebar.net/2014/09/author-arrested-murder-in-the-30th-century.html

http://www.wboc.com/story/26367051/cambridge-maces-lane-middle-school-teacher-on-administrative-leave

It should be noted a prosecutor said the books having nothing to do with what the police are doing. That is clearly, then, only speculation and a good way to smear police who appear to be doing their jobs.

This is true, that they have said this, but I still consider it professional darwinism for them to not have come out with whatever the "real" reason is first, instead of letting everyone believe it was due solely to the books.

I looked for a decent update to the story and cannot find one yet.  I will be anxious to know what that update is.

It may be that they can't because it could hinder the investigation. There is usually a good reason for the police not disclosing things immediately.

Still, I will be glad to know what the update finally is and until then, I will hope it is something at least approaching sensible. 

Jocelyn

« Reply #6166 on: September 02, 2014, 08:43:16 PM »
This is true, that they have said this, but I still consider it professional darwinism for them to not have come out with whatever the "real" reason is first, instead of letting everyone believe it was due solely to the books. \
It may not be legal, within their jurisdiction, to announce why a person has been remanded for a mental health evaluation.
For that matter, the patient/teacher is entitled to privacy about his mental health issues.

As a mental health professional, myself, there are usually limits on how long a person can be held on the authority of law enforcement. In the state where I practiced, it was 72 hours; within that time, court had to be held and a judge had to remand the person to the mental health care system.   
It would be highly unprofessional for a sheriff to be announcing the results of a court-ordered eval to the public, unless the person were also charged with a crime. It was fairly common, in my practice area, if a sheriff believed a person to be mentally ill, for him not to initiate charges, to save the individual from having a criminal record for doing something that really wasn't within his control- if a mental health evaluation could be finessed without charges.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #6167 on: September 03, 2014, 08:06:20 AM »
I am hoping this turns out to be professional darwinism for the sheriff and the school board and that they collectively lose everything.

A teacher  was suspended - not arrested but forceably taken for a mental health evaluation. He is a (self?) published author of a science fiction book that includes a school shooting. I haven't read the book - but the heroes are the people trying to stop the violence from what other's have said about the book. The book is available via kindle on amazon.

People are concerned that the author may not have access to a lawyer and the sheriff is refusing to reveal his location so that those concerned can check on him. The sheriff is also using inflammatory language. The book was published under a pseudonym like Benjamin Franklin, James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, JK Rowlings, Dr. Suess used.  The teacher also had a legal name change. The sheriff is calling the name changed and the pseudonym aliases. (Granted King George considered the first 4 to be criminals)

The book apparently isn't that good - the positive reviews are in reaction to the author being taken to mental health facility for a book based on a fairly typical sci fi trope - the world has gone to hell and America, land of the free, has turned into a dictatorship. There are many negative reviews about horrible writing.

http://www.loweringthebar.net/2014/09/author-arrested-murder-in-the-30th-century.html

http://www.wboc.com/story/26367051/cambridge-maces-lane-middle-school-teacher-on-administrative-leave

It should be noted a prosecutor said the books having nothing to do with what the police are doing. That is clearly, then, only speculation and a good way to smear police who appear to be doing their jobs.

Considering that they also swept the schools for bombs they obviously think that there is some connection there.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #6168 on: September 03, 2014, 09:27:56 AM »

Considering that they also swept the schools for bombs they obviously think that there is some connection there.

Not necessarily.  The prosecutor said that the teacher had sent in a multi-page letter; something in that letter could have sparked their need for a bomb sweep.  There are so many unknown factors that jumping to conclusions and relying on speculation isn't helping anyone.

daisy1679

« Reply #6169 on: September 03, 2014, 09:58:02 AM »

Not necessarily.  The prosecutor said that the teacher had sent in a multi-page letter; something in that letter could have sparked their need for a bomb sweep.  There are so many unknown factors that jumping to conclusions and relying on speculation isn't helping anyone.

I found a little more information here - http://www.stardem.com/easternshore/news/dorchester_county/article_47f06380-8a13-5a72-bd8c-c40c3513b977.html

With the additional information in this article, it appears they may have had a reason to be concerned.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #6170 on: September 03, 2014, 08:11:38 PM »
A guy in my office is currently committing PD.  Two weeks ago, our boss was out of the office on Friday.  Someone went looking for Guy and couldn't find him anywhere for over an hour.  Someone else saw him sleeping in his car in the parking lot.  Those two someones went to higher up someone who discovered that Guy had punched out for lunch at his normal time, had punched back in after his allotted 30 minutes and was actually sleeping in his car while punched in at work.  :o  After further discussion by various peoples in the office, it is also discovered that my boss had been covering for Guy while he was doing this - and one person thinks it may have been going on for over a year!   :o :o

All we know for sure is that higher up people are coming in and asking questions about when you see Guy, have you ever tried to find him and not been able to, etc.  I don't think my boss will be able to cover for him this time around, and both of them might end up in trouble. 

PeterM

« Reply #6171 on: September 03, 2014, 11:54:37 PM »
After further discussion by various peoples in the office, it is also discovered that my boss had been covering for Guy while he was doing this - and one person thinks it may have been going on for over a year!   :o :o

All we know for sure is that higher up people are coming in and asking questions about when you see Guy, have you ever tried to find him and not been able to, etc.  I don't think my boss will be able to cover for him this time around, and both of them might end up in trouble.

I'm curious how your boss will defend himself. I'd recommend going full Costanza.

"Was I not supposed to do that? Was that wrong?"

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #6172 on: September 04, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »
I was going to say that your boss may have been just as PD aimed as Guy.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #6173 on: September 04, 2014, 02:32:08 PM »
I'm hoping that some PD chickens are going to finally come home to roost.

I've mentioned an Executive Vice President (my boss) and his VP (my peer) before. They have been hiding information from people and running stealth projects. They've been steadily cutting more people out of the loop (particularly) me. The result is that when I do finally find out what's going on, I'm extremely unhappy because issues that would have been simple to solve up front are now very expensive and it's almost too late.

Case in point: There was a stealth project to rework part of our product (I'm the chief architect for the product and this was done without my input.) This rework included some intellectual property from a 3rd party. When I found out about this, I raised some very legitimate questions about whether we had licensed that IP properly (it turns out we hadn't.) Because of the history of hiding things, I decided to copy the CEO when I raised the issues (EVP reports to CEO.) The EVP dressed me down in an e-mail response, for not coming to him first. But he also dismissed my concerns without actually addressing them, which justified my bringing in the CEO. In a private e-mail to the CEO I explained exactly why those concerns were within the scope of my job and why my experience led me to raise them.)

EVP and VP also prepared a presentation on our work for the Board of Directors. This was built from project and financial data that our project management team provided. We didn't get to see the final presentation. We now know why. We got a stealth copy and discovered that several projects went from "at risk" or "in real trouble" to "just hunky-dory" on the presentation. Some of the financials were fudged as well.

Why do I think that things are improving? The CEO is fairly new, and had been distracted by other business issues. He's now much more involved. He held a town-hall meeting with all of the employees and asked for input. In his other companies, people felt free to speak up, even if their manager was in the room. At this one, crickets would have been too loud. Report is that he was shocked by the fact that nobody had anything to say. The reason, of course, was that EVP and VP are quick to punish anyone who raises any kind of issue.

I had a meeting with the CEO and EVP and the CEO bluntly told the EVP to address my issues. The 3rd party IP was removed. They hadn't told the 3rd party how we were using the stuff and it turns out that they wanted lots more money.

After the board meeting, the CEO asked to be put on the weekly status reports. I think that someone had forwarded one of those and pointed out the difference between it and the board presentation.

Finally, we lost the use of our corporate credit cards and all international travel now has to be approved by either the CEO or the chairman of the board. My suspicion is that one or more people were abusing these. The EVP and VP are prime candidates for that. We have some offshore developers in their home country and they've been traveling back there "to coordinate things."

Cautiously optimistic that EVP and VP will either clean up their acts or get canned.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #6174 on: September 05, 2014, 04:58:53 PM »
One of the HOA neighborhoods here has a club house, pool and water slides. A local school rented the pool for a band party. 15 to 20 kids rode a slide at once; a section of the slide broke off and fell 15 feet into a 4 foot deep pond behind the pool. You could tell our school board official was mentally praying to the ghost of Johnnie Cochran when asked if the kids had been told not to do that ("Oh, we have rules in place. This is tragic...")

Was anyone seriously injured?

Apparently the HOA has decided people can now use the pool, but not the slide yet. Because they don't want to pay for two lifeguards, one at the top of the slide and one at the bottom. I found that out because someone was wandering around my store on a cellphone + in a maintenance uniform, answering hotline questions for the HOA about the pool and dealing with irate calls about "when can I use the slide again"

BeautifulDisaster

« Reply #6175 on: September 06, 2014, 06:42:14 PM »
A service provider I use for a hobby I'm a part of managed to make a giant donkey's behind of themselves this weekend, as five figures worth of their income walked out the door. And they keep asking themselves why and/or insisting it's because everyone else is crazy.

No, my dear people. This is the second time this year this has happened. If your clients are doing mass exodus', something is WRONG and you need to fix it; not act like a spoiled little brat - especially when this business you run is your family's livelihood and without you'll have nothing.

just to be clear. You mean 5 figures as in tens of thousands of dollars?

Mmhm.

That will be PD if they don't wake & smell the coffee!

I'm trying to figure out what they are doing that has customers leaving in droves - but recognize that posting what they are doing in a niche market might make it far too simple to figure out who & where they are.

Horse boarding operation. Even more people are planning on leaving, so things are just going to get uglier.

magiccat26

• Goddess in training!
« Reply #6176 on: September 06, 2014, 09:02:25 PM »
Horse boarding operation. Even more people are planning on leaving, so things are just going to get uglier.

Oh wow.  As a boarder myself, I understand why everyone is leaving.  At our last barn, the manager was constantly leaving things unlocked even when she was not on the property.  We would show up to ride our horse to find the doors wide open and the place deserted!  I own over $5,000 worth of saddles, bridles and other horse tack.  I would have been extremely upset if any of it had gone missing due to the manager's negligence!
“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” — Catherine Aird

Night Audit Woman

« Reply #6177 on: September 06, 2014, 09:43:39 PM »
To Lady Snowden:

My ex used to have a coworker come into his office and sit in a chair after lunch and sleep for the afternoon. Although this infuriated the ex, he never informed his supervisor or asked the guy to leave.

Everyday he would come home and complain about this guy sleeping in his office.

There is no way I would allow someone to sleep in my office. I would roll that chair right out into the the corridor into the hallway.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #6178 on: September 07, 2014, 11:22:36 AM »
We have a horse boarding operation near our camp and one day as we were driving to camp, we noticed something amiss. There were no cars there, and a horse was on it's side in one of the paddocks. On the way back into town, the horse was still in that position. I called the non-emergency number for law enforcement. This was a family owned and operated boarding facility and we don't know if the main person in charge was ill or away, but the place was shut down.

It's now up for sale.

This morning, I went by Einstein Bagels to get a bucket of bagels and cream cheese. The lady in front of me was there when I walked in, at least 10 minutes and was still waiting when I checked out. She ordered two toasted bagels, they gave her the wrong ones, and a medium decaf coffee. They did not tell her they had not made decaf and it wasn't until she had been waiting for over 10 minutes that they started the decaf. We have a very high population of seniors here in Florida and decaf is popular. PD on behalf of the opening manager.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

StarFaerie

« Reply #6179 on: September 07, 2014, 03:56:17 PM »
We have a horse boarding operation near our camp and one day as we were driving to camp, we noticed something amiss. There were no cars there, and a horse was on it's side in one of the paddocks. On the way back into town, the horse was still in that position. I called the non-emergency number for law enforcement. This was a family owned and operated boarding facility and we don't know if the main person in charge was ill or away, but the place was shut down.

Horses do sleep lying down even during the day, are you sure it wasn't just sleeping.