Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1331752 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #6165 on: August 25, 2014, 10:50:56 AM »
But she'd have to clean the utensils at home, right? So this was all so that she could leave work a few minutes early?

The mind, it does boggle.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #6166 on: August 25, 2014, 03:14:33 PM »
But she'd have to clean the utensils at home, right? So this was all so that she could leave work a few minutes early?

My guess is that the thought is either that it's more comfortable to do it at home, that she can use a dishwasher at home instead of hand-washing stuff at work, or, she's buying multiple sets of stuff, so that she can wash several demonstrations' worth at once quickly instead of having to take more time to do it there.

Out of curiosity, *would* this be okay if she didn't use the company credit card?  In other words, is using the company credit card for this the only issue, or is using non-company-issued supplies and taking them home to clean also part of the issue?  I'd imagine it could go either way, because the company might require a certain level of sanitation or whatever, just curious.

Hillia

« Reply #6167 on: August 25, 2014, 03:19:24 PM »
Card issues aside, it sounds like she's buying items at the dollar store, then using them immediately to prepare and serve samples without washing them first.  Even if the items were packaged, I can't imagine they're really clean/sanitary enough to be used on food.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6168 on: August 25, 2014, 03:59:04 PM »
Seems a little staged but lunch thief steals sandwich. Person stolen from leaves notes. Thief leaves a ransom note, HR gets involved traces the notes back to the owner. Last note Please don't fire me.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/offbeat/stop-thief-office-sandwich-stealer-asks-for-ransom-in-hilarious-note-battle-with-colleague-580624
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

TeamBhakta

« Reply #6169 on: August 25, 2014, 06:38:58 PM »

My guess is that the thought is either that it's more comfortable to do it at home, that she can use a dishwasher at home instead of hand-washing stuff at work, or, she's buying multiple sets of stuff, so that she can wash several demonstrations' worth at once quickly instead of having to take more time to do it there.

Out of curiosity, *would* this be okay if she didn't use the company credit card? In other words, is using the company credit card for this the only issue, or is using non-company-issued supplies and taking them home to clean also part of the issue?  I'd imagine it could go either way, because the company might require a certain level of sanitation or whatever, just curious.

It would not be okay. I'm not even allowed to bring in my own thermometer or scissors from home.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #6170 on: August 26, 2014, 07:32:45 AM »
We've had a new coworker come in who seems really socially awkward, to the point of it maybe being PD if he continues.

He seems to have the trait that he identifies the people he perceives to be the "top dogs" in the team and follows them around trying to be their friend and ingratiate himself with them. If he had picked a couple of alpha males who like having minions following them around that solution would might have worked nicely for him. Unfortunately, he decided myself and coworker (a pair of stroppy females) are his target for this behaviour, which means that everytime we would go get ourselves a cup of coffee from the break room while we discuss a project, he suddenly grabbed his mug and trailed along behind us trying to chat to us and be friendly. But it wasn't charming or funny friendly, it was just really awkward stilted conversation.

I'm all for random friendly conversations with my coworkers over coffee, but when it's so obvious it become noticable to other people and it seemed like every. single. time. we went for coffee he's trailing behind us, it got awkward fast. Every time I tried to have a conversation with another male coworker near AwkwardNewbie's desk, AwkwardNewbie would stop what he was doing and stare over the desk divider at me. Not both of us, just me. Everytime I walked into the common office past his desk, he'd stop what he was doing and stare at me walking in.

Then last week we had a social event at work that I wasn't present for, but which other stroppy female coworker was there for. AwkwardNewbie spent the entire time glommed onto her and following her closely around the party. It bewildered her to the point where she started ducking into corners just to put people between her and him. It was so noticiably odd that another female coworker went to Boss and told him he really needs to have a chat with AwkwardNewbie because he was freaking out stroppy female coworker.

Apparently a conversation was had and now he's not following us around to coffee breaks anymore. He did however move from his corner desk to much closer to both of our desks, so we'll see how this works out. <sigh> He's not threatening by any means, he's mostly just coming across as a bit pathetic and clingy.  :( It will potentially turn into PD if he has already required a chat from Boss after less than a month here, and doesn't learn from that. We'll see if he can learn.

I just want to make it clear that I'm in no way threatened or skeeved out by him, he just seems like he's trying omega male bonding techniques ("I'll be all nice and subserviant to you and you'll tolerate my presence and then people will think I'm friends with the big dogs") on a couple of alpha females who don't play that kind of dominance game and it's making him inadvertantly look creepy. If he'd done this with a couple of the alpha males in the office (who trail a collection of minions behind them whereever they go) he'd have been fine. It's just a bit of a misdirect of target in his painfully obvious sucking up.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:40:09 AM by WolfWay »
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

TeamBhakta

« Reply #6171 on: August 30, 2014, 05:48:55 PM »
A local hairdresser was walking around town, trying to drum up business. I was on my cellphone, so she didn't approach me. She went over to two AA women I know and offered them coupons for a "special deal...x-dollars, haircut only." They each politely told her "No thank you, I already have my own stylist." The hairdresser kept pushing too hard after that. She finally said "*drops voice* Okay, I get it. You want 'Betty' to do your hair. It's cool, it's cool. I get it. Everybody has their own preferences, you know what I'm saying. You want 'Betty' to do your hair, no problem. You can ask for anyone you want when you make an appointment." I knew "Betty" was AA, because I've met her and she's done my hair, my mom's hair, etc. The hairdresser said it in such a patronizing *wink wink nudge nudge* tone that both ladies became very chilly towards her. One of them finally took a coupon so she'd shut up and walk away. She was raked across the coals once out of ear shot.

bloo

« Reply #6172 on: August 31, 2014, 08:54:40 AM »
Seems a little staged but lunch thief steals sandwich. Person stolen from leaves notes. Thief leaves a ransom note, HR gets involved traces the notes back to the owner. Last note Please don't fire me.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/offbeat/stop-thief-office-sandwich-stealer-asks-for-ransom-in-hilarious-note-battle-with-colleague-580624

I *loathe* food thieves but that was actually funny!

BeautifulDisaster

« Reply #6173 on: September 02, 2014, 12:52:58 AM »
A service provider I use for a hobby I'm a part of managed to make a giant donkey's behind of themselves this weekend, as five figures worth of their income walked out the door. And they keep asking themselves why and/or insisting it's because everyone else is crazy.

No, my dear people. This is the second time this year this has happened. If your clients are doing mass exodus', something is WRONG and you need to fix it; not act like a spoiled little brat - especially when this business you run is your family's livelihood and without you'll have nothing.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6174 on: September 02, 2014, 04:16:48 AM »
A service provider I use for a hobby I'm a part of managed to make a giant donkey's behind of themselves this weekend, as five figures worth of their income walked out the door. And they keep asking themselves why and/or insisting it's because everyone else is crazy.

No, my dear people. This is the second time this year this has happened. If your clients are doing mass exodus', something is WRONG and you need to fix it; not act like a spoiled little brat - especially when this business you run is your family's livelihood and without you'll have nothing.

just to be clear. You mean 5 figures as in tens of thousands of dollars?

BeautifulDisaster

« Reply #6175 on: September 02, 2014, 08:40:01 AM »

Mmhm.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6176 on: September 02, 2014, 09:04:03 AM »

Mmhm.

That will be PD if they don't wake & smell the coffee!

I'm trying to figure out what they are doing that has customers leaving in droves - but recognize that posting what they are doing in a niche market might make it far too simple to figure out who & where they are.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6177 on: September 02, 2014, 09:47:18 AM »

Mmhm.

oh....my.....

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6178 on: September 02, 2014, 04:53:03 PM »
I am hoping this turns out to be professional darwinism for the sheriff and the school board and that they collectively lose everything.

A teacher  was suspended - not arrested but forceably taken for a mental health evaluation. He is a (self?) published author of a science fiction book that includes a school shooting. I haven't read the book - but the heroes are the people trying to stop the violence from what other's have said about the book. The book is available via kindle on amazon.

People are concerned that the author may not have access to a lawyer and the sheriff is refusing to reveal his location so that those concerned can check on him. The sheriff is also using inflammatory language. The book was published under a pseudonym like Benjamin Franklin, James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, JK Rowlings, Dr. Suess used.  The teacher also had a legal name change. The sheriff is calling the name changed and the pseudonym aliases. (Granted King George considered the first 4 to be criminals)

The book apparently isn't that good - the positive reviews are in reaction to the author being taken to mental health facility for a book based on a fairly typical sci fi trope - the world has gone to hell and America, land of the free, has turned into a dictatorship. There are many negative reviews about horrible writing.

http://www.loweringthebar.net/2014/09/author-arrested-murder-in-the-30th-century.html

http://www.wboc.com/story/26367051/cambridge-maces-lane-middle-school-teacher-on-administrative-leave
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Elisabunny

« Reply #6179 on: September 02, 2014, 05:31:18 PM »
Wow.  That second story sounds like it's not even trying to be objective.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...