Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1254169 times)

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #2730 on: August 08, 2012, 03:15:59 PM »
Near my old house is a strip mall that had an ice cream shop. Since the shop closed for the winter, the owner decided that he didn't have to pay rent during that time. The landlord thought otherwise.

There's a different shop there now.

That also belongs on the Brain Hurty thread as well

Done!  :)
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #2731 on: August 10, 2012, 10:07:28 AM »
A Boston Traffic Supervisor (whatever that entails) was struck by a bus as he was trying to ticket the driver.   The driver also struck several parked cars.

Just so you know, working for the MBTA is a HIGHLY coveted job.

exitzero

« Reply #2732 on: August 10, 2012, 03:03:07 PM »
A Boston Traffic Supervisor (whatever that entails) was struck by a bus as he was trying to ticket the driver.   The driver also struck several parked cars.

Just an aside, when my dad started work  for the MBTA (probably over 50 years ago, now), it wasn't what you knew, it was who you knew.

He knew someone, went in for an interview. They asked him if he had a bus license. He said yes. They never asked to see it. He didn't even have a DRIVER'S LICENSE. He had never driven a car in his life. (Poor city kid). He went out that week and got a learner's permit. He drove a public bus for months on a learner's permit.

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #2733 on: August 10, 2012, 07:31:23 PM »

Just an aside, when my dad started work  for the MBTA (probably over 50 years ago, now), it wasn't what you knew, it was who you knew.

He knew someone, went in for an interview. They asked him if he had a bus license. He said yes. They never asked to see it. He didn't even have a DRIVER'S LICENSE. He had never driven a car in his life. (Poor city kid). He went out that week and got a learner's permit. He drove a public bus for months on a learner's permit.

But did he ever return?

***ducks***runs***

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2734 on: August 10, 2012, 09:07:34 PM »

But did he ever return?

***ducks***runs***
***runs after, shouting*** NO, he never returned, and his fate is still unlearned.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

chibichan

« Reply #2735 on: August 10, 2012, 10:32:05 PM »

But did he ever return?

***ducks***runs***
***runs after, shouting*** NO, he never returned, and his fate is still unlearned.

This just made me squee with sheer joy  !
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #2736 on: August 11, 2012, 12:59:23 AM »
Heard this one today and I don't think it is going to end well.

Every Thursday there is regularly scheduled delivery run.
Our driver has been doing it regularly for a year now.

Thursday morning, the driver called the office.

Driver "I won't be coming on today."

Boss "Uh...why not?"

Driver "I don't feel like it. Today seems like a good day to stay home and get drunk." :o

Boss "Huh? That's not an acceptable reason not to come to work." :o :o

Driver "Fine. Consider this my two week notice."
Then she hung up and refused to take his calls or respond to his texts.

Much panic ensued, trying to get the Thursday run done and line someone up in case she failed to show for Friday. :P

Finally, about 8 pm she let him know she would, in fact, show up to work on Friday.
But I don't see her being around much longer.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2737 on: August 11, 2012, 01:09:50 AM »
This sort of sounds like someone heard she could get unemployment if she got fired instead of quitting.  I think she will be in for a surprise.

kglory

« Reply #2738 on: August 11, 2012, 01:20:55 AM »

But did he ever return?

***ducks***runs***

Ha! :)  My mom used to sing that one when we were kids.  I always wondered, why doesn't his wife every slip him a nickel one day instead of a sandwich?  Then he could finally get off the train!  LOL.

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #2739 on: August 11, 2012, 01:56:03 AM »

But did he ever return?

***ducks***runs***

Ha! :)  My mom used to sing that one when we were kids.  I always wondered, why doesn't his wife every slip him a nickel one day instead of a sandwich?  Then he could finally get off the train!  LOL.

They named the fare cards "Charlie Cards."    He sure could have used one.

http://bitfare.org/img/header_logo_charliecard.jpg

JocelynCS

• Mom of 3 fluffies!
« Reply #2740 on: August 11, 2012, 04:13:30 PM »
I just squeed so loud!  I was raised on that song and Kingston Trio in general!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2741 on: August 11, 2012, 04:48:14 PM »
This is also one of the songs Mr. Sirius' band does. 

figee

« Reply #2742 on: August 11, 2012, 06:30:04 PM »
What song????  I don't understand!

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Iris

« Reply #2744 on: August 11, 2012, 08:55:08 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VMSGrY-IlU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I've never seen that song before. Most amusing :)

I will say though, that I was with kglory and just thought "Why didn't she just give him a nickel instead of a sandwich one day?" We overly literal types have to stick together, you know...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.