Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1470622 times)

NyaChan

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #2880 on: October 17, 2012, 03:04:32 PM »
Except if people know he works there, they don't want to get attached or be connected to his remarks.  I think that is a legitimate concern considering the ways things spread around the internet nowadays.

wheeitsme

« Reply #2881 on: October 17, 2012, 03:13:40 PM »
WARNING - may include emotional triggers.

Man who posted "glad girl is dead" loses job - says he's "sorry if he offended anyone". http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1272587--ontario-man-fired-from-job-over-comment-posted-on-memorial-page-to-amanda-todd

Oh, and he "feels a little regret and remorse". Just so you don't think he's a jerk or anything. I mean, he's got his feelings, right?

I don't think he should have been fired for something he did on his own Facebook page.  Please don't get me wrong, I think what he did was reprehensible, even if he was "just curious"; but I don't think it had anything to do with his job.

Except he didn't write it on his own Facebook page.  The article says that he wrote it on an online memorial page for her.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2882 on: October 17, 2012, 03:23:41 PM »
I have a scrap of sympathy for him, in that he posted anonymously, and didn't expect it would connect to him or his employer.

That sympathy is swamped like an ant in a tidal wave with disgust at him being so vile as to post such things on a memorial forum, while hiding behind anonymity and "I just wanted to stir the pot".

I think people REALLY need to learn that "freedom of speech" does not mean "freedom from consequences". If your speech reveals you to be a vile, revolting person - well, yes, the rest of society may not want to be around you. Words, as well as actions, have consequences, even if you don't get jailed by the government for them.

I think the way he sort of shrugs and claims that he really feels badly for the family - while telling them he's rejoicing their daughter is dead - indicates a strange sort of disconnect some people have. It's as though they really don't see their words as having any meaning in the real world. Yes, he wanted to play troll, and have everyone mad at him (anonymously, of course). That they were angry because he was causing real pain, and behaving disgustingly, doesn't seem to occur to him. I presume (until he finds himself unemployable in the small town he lives in) he still thinks it was a rather witty joke.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

magicdomino

« Reply #2883 on: October 17, 2012, 03:32:46 PM »
More than one troll has claimed to be innocent of hostile intentions.  So often, they excuse themselves with "I just wanted to stir the pot" and "It was a social experiment."  They have little or no comprehension that there are real people out there, not just pixels on a screen.  Then the trolls get upset when the pot boils over, and the experimental guinea pigs show up at their doors. 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2884 on: October 17, 2012, 03:40:31 PM »

Man who posted "glad girl is dead" loses job - says he's "sorry if he offended anyone". http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1272587--ontario-man-fired-from-job-over-comment-posted-on-memorial-page-to-amanda-todd

Oh, and he "feels a little regret and remorse". Just so you don't think he's a jerk or anything. I mean, he's got his feelings, right?

I don't think he should have been fired for something he did on his own Facebook page.  Please don't get me wrong, I think what he did was reprehensible, even if he was "just curious"; but I don't think it had anything to do with his job.

Except he didn't write it on his own Facebook page.  The article says that he wrote it on an online memorial page for her.

I meant it as he used his own Facebook to do it, not the company's Facebook.

I think it was great someone outed him, because his actions should have consequences, but how it is at all related to his job is beyond me.  He didn't do it at work or on company time, so what does it have to do with his job?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

NyaChan

« Reply #2885 on: October 17, 2012, 03:42:18 PM »
I wouldn't trust him around my clients - he showed bad judgment and a lack of basic civility with that comment.  Not someone that I want to represent me.  If he'll do that in public to a grieving family just to see what would happen, what might he do while he is working?

Pippen

« Reply #2886 on: October 17, 2012, 03:42:51 PM »
Or the local Real Estate Agent who was caught doing something very naughty when he thought he was alone at an open home.

SoCalVal

« Reply #2887 on: October 17, 2012, 03:52:51 PM »
LOL! I've had managers who said "You can be replaced!"

I had an office manager years ago who told me I needed to improve my attitude and said if I worked in the main branch I would've been let go a long time prior (I had a great skillset that would've been difficult to find from anyone else at the rate they paid).  Granted, she might've been right about the attitude, but her threat really didn't help.  Anyway, the person (who I actually liked and did have the "can-do" attitude she was mandating from me) who she was comparing me to was a temp who got hired in the main branch shortly thereafter...and was fired a few months after that (guess that can-do attitude didn't work for him either).

Not too long later, Office Mgr hired a second assistant because the workload I was handling solo had greatly increased.  Office Mgr said she was hiring based on personality because anyone could be taught to do what I do but that it was hard to find a good personality.  I'm really not surprised that the brokers 2nd Admin supported were really frustrated because she didn't know how to do anything (a 20-something recent college graduate who didn't even know how to use the tab key in Word, rather than using the spacebar -- this was 2002 so not that long ago and not unreasonable that she should've known how to use a computer reasonably well).  2nd Admin didn't last very long either but, fortunately for her, she resigned of her own volition (nice girl but really had no business doing computer-based tasks).

FINALLY, glory came after 3-4 years of Office Mgr's snarking at me and unreasonable requests (like demanding in my annual evaluation that I get a local physician, rather than the one I was still seeing two hours away -- I pointed out and, I believe, wrote as a response in my evaluation, that I used my vacation time for my out-of-area medical appointments so she could not dictate to me how to use my vacation time...yeah, she backed down on that one, among others).  She didn't listen to her own advice so rather than get the licensing for herself requested by one of the major brokers in our office, he got her booted from our office as Office Mgr.  She was transferred to the main branch but, because she lost about 2/3 of what her job duties were (1/3 was event planning) but was still getting paid a huge salary, she got "laid off."  I wonder if anyone told her, "You can be replaced" (because she sure was and with someone who had more years of experience in event planning).

The best part?  After I resigned (on good terms -- I moved away), I still maintained contact with my old office (they were my job references).  I learned from the broker manager that it took three attempts to finally find someone who could sufficiently replace me (meaning they hired three different individuals before finally finding someone who could do what I did).

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2888 on: October 17, 2012, 05:13:53 PM »
I wouldn't trust him around my clients - he showed bad judgment and a lack of basic civility with that comment.  Not someone that I want to represent me.  If he'll do that in public to a grieving family just to see what would happen, what might he do while he is working?

That's it. If I were an employer, I would think, "This person can be viciously cruel and doesn't seem to have any real regrets for it. Even if my customers don't find out he works here, and show up with tar and feathers, do I really want someone with this sort of behaviour working for me?"

(In fact, one wonders if he'd been disliked in the workplace already. If he were a well-loved staff member, perhaps he would have been forgiven more readily. I can't imagine someone with this sense of humour (loosely termed) being fun to work with.)

My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

thedudeabides

« Reply #2889 on: October 17, 2012, 08:19:23 PM »
In the US, at least, most employees work in an "at will" environment where their employers need little actual reason to fire them provided the employees are not fired for reasons falling under federally protected classes.  That means they have a lot of latitude when it comes to determining what aspects of an employee's behavior outside the workplace they disapprove of.  Just ask Violentacrez.  Apparently his bosses didn't want their business associated with someone who posted and encouraged the posting of pictures of underage girls, unconsenting women, women being beaten, and dead girls: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/15/michael-brutsch-reddits-biggest-loses-job-identity-gawker_n_1967727.html

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #2890 on: October 17, 2012, 08:24:16 PM »
In the US, at least, most employees work in an "at will" environment where their employers need little actual reason to fire them provided the employees are not fired for reasons falling under federally protected classes.  That means they have a lot of latitude when it comes to determining what aspects of an employee's behavior outside the workplace they disapprove of.  Just ask Violentacrez.  Apparently his bosses didn't want their business associated with someone who posted and encouraged the posting of pictures of underage girls, unconsenting women, women being beaten, and dead girls: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/15/michael-brutsch-reddits-biggest-loses-job-identity-gawker_n_1967727.html

I was just coming here to post him!
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #2891 on: October 17, 2012, 10:13:47 PM »
I have a scrap of sympathy for him, in that he posted anonymously, and didn't expect it would connect to him or his employer.

That sympathy is swamped like an ant in a tidal wave with disgust at him being so vile as to post such things on a memorial forum, while hiding behind anonymity and "I just wanted to stir the pot".

I think people REALLY need to learn that "freedom of speech" does not mean "freedom from consequences". If your speech reveals you to be a vile, revolting person - well, yes, the rest of society may not want to be around you. Words, as well as actions, have consequences, even if you don't get jailed by the government for them.

I think the way he sort of shrugs and claims that he really feels badly for the family - while telling them he's rejoicing their daughter is dead - indicates a strange sort of disconnect some people have. It's as though they really don't see their words as having any meaning in the real world. Yes, he wanted to play troll, and have everyone mad at him (anonymously, of course). That they were angry because he was causing real pain, and behaving disgustingly, doesn't seem to occur to him. I presume (until he finds himself unemployable in the small town he lives in) he still thinks it was a rather witty joke.

This is beautifully written Twik, it sums up exactly how I feel.   

I too feel a scrap of sympathy for him - I'm sure he's just your everyday guy, who doesn't go around acting as heinously as his online comments might indicate.   But actions have consequences, and life is choices.   He wanted to be a troll, his employer didn't want to be associated with that kind of heartless behaviour.   His attitude towards the whole thing is off - he's sorry he lost his job, not sorry that he potentially caused greater hurt to an already grieving family and friends.     
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Minmom3

« Reply #2892 on: October 17, 2012, 10:22:08 PM »

Oh, now THERE'S a non-apology if I EVER heard one.  IF?!  Ya think???  What a complete toad.   >:(   The point he feebly tried to make after the dust up - that people should have reached out before she died, that would have helped HER a lot more - quite valid.  Yes, indeed.  SO NOT WHAT HE SAID, though!  Bet he's SHOCKED, SHOCKED AND CONFUSED that he got fired....  He needs to go back under his rock and stay there for a very long time...  And he's not a 'pot stirrer', he's a feces stirrer.  There's a lot more malice in what he said than just stirring the pot. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:26:20 PM by Minmom3 »
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2893 on: October 17, 2012, 10:24:38 PM »

I too feel a scrap of sympathy for him - I'm sure he's just your everyday guy, who doesn't go around acting as heinously as his online comments might indicate.   But actions have consequences, and life is choices.   He wanted to be a troll, his employer didn't want to be associated with that kind of heartless behaviour.   His attitude towards the whole thing is off - he's sorry he lost his job, not sorry that he potentially caused greater hurt to an already grieving family and friends.   

FTR, I don't totally disagree.  I just don't think his job had anything to do with it. 
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

LEMon

« Reply #2894 on: October 17, 2012, 10:51:42 PM »

FTR, I don't totally disagree.  I just don't think his job had anything to do with it.
I go to look up the person who is going to be working with me and discover this:  Will I be using the company?  So connected to his company, in my opinion, but most importantly in his boss' opinion.