Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1376696 times)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #2955 on: November 10, 2012, 03:59:26 PM »
Posting racial slurs and hopes for assassination about the US President on Facebook, and then telling a TV interviewer that "I didn't think it would be that big of a deal," might not be a good career move.

Obama threat gets Turlock woman fired, reported to Secret Service

I can see where she would think that. She is far from being the only nutjob on the net right now - in fact she's one of the milder ones.

Still perfectly fair of them to fire her, though.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Iris

« Reply #2956 on: November 10, 2012, 04:32:24 PM »
Posting racial slurs and hopes for assassination about the US President on Facebook, and then telling a TV interviewer that "I didn't think it would be that big of a deal," might not be a good career move.

If I'm honest I don't have a massive issue with the 'threat' part of her post. It is clearly not serious and just exposes her as a hateful person by its vehemence. I don't think the secret service will lose too much sleep over it. I am astounded, though, astounded that in 2012 a white person can call a black person the "n word" in a public forum and not realise that people are going to take offence. That's what really got me. Her SURPRISE that people thought she was racist.  ???

I'm not really surprised that they sacked her but I think it's probably more to do with racism than politics.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #2957 on: November 10, 2012, 04:37:04 PM »

If I'm honest I don't have a massive issue with the 'threat' part of her post. It is clearly not serious and just exposes her as a hateful person by its vehemence. I don't think the secret service will lose too much sleep over it. I am astounded, though, astounded that in 2012 a white person can call a black person the "n word" in a public forum and not realise that people are going to take offence. That's what really got me. Her SURPRISE that people thought she was racist.  ???

I'm not really surprised that they sacked her but I think it's probably more to do with racism than politics.

Yes, but they still have to investigate it.  So, that means time, money, and making sure it really isn't serious.  I think they'd rather do something else with their time and resources but they can't because of people like her.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2958 on: November 10, 2012, 05:00:36 PM »
I am astounded, though, astounded that in 2012 a white person can call a black person the "n word" in a public forum and not realise that people are going to take offence. That's what really got me. Her SURPRISE that people thought she was racist.  ???

I agree, it's astonishing, but it's the way some people seem to think. I'm surprised she didn't come out with "but some of my best friends are ... that is, they're African American."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Iris

« Reply #2959 on: November 10, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »

Yes, but they still have to investigate it.  So, that means time, money, and making sure it really isn't serious.  I think they'd rather do something else with their time and resources but they can't because of people like her.

Do they? Can they really not just say "Obviously a whack job" and leave it at that? Still, I come from a country where the only Prime Minister to die in office did so while having a swim at the beach  ::) so we tend to be a bit more relaxed about things. I believe I've told the story of the time that the Prime Minister was (unexpectedly) walking past and my brother and I were having an idle (and entirely joking) chat about running over and poking him in the eye and discussing the difficulties that his glasses would pose and wondering if that's why he wore glasses - to avoid eye-pokes. We looked up and realised that a very senior police officer was well within ear-shot of us and indeed holding back giggles, whether at our conversation or amusing double take I will never know.

Iris

« Reply #2960 on: November 10, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »
I am astounded, though, astounded that in 2012 a white person can call a black person the "n word" in a public forum and not realise that people are going to take offence. That's what really got me. Her SURPRISE that people thought she was racist.  ???

I agree, it's astonishing, but it's the way some people seem to think. I'm surprised she didn't come out with "but some of my best friends are ... that is, they're African American."

rofl

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2961 on: November 10, 2012, 05:26:56 PM »

The thing that got me was " I'm not racist and I'm not crazy. just simply stating my opinion.!!!" I'm not really sure how one can have an opinion that comes out in explicitly racist terms and not be a racist.

She lost her job because she became a liability to her employer. She's free to mouth off all she wants, but her employer is free to fire an employee who hurts his business.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2962 on: November 10, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »
Do they? Can they really not just say "Obviously a whack job" and leave it at that?
They have to look into it enough to verify that it's just someone mouthing off (which is protected speech under the First Amendment to the US constitution), not someone actually planning or inciting something. Might not take too long ot investigate, but still takes resources.

"Protected speech" applies to the government restricting what people can say. A private employer can indeed proclaim "you do not reflect our company's values. Goodbye."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Amara

« Reply #2963 on: November 10, 2012, 08:49:23 PM »
Iris, when Bill Bryson started off his book, In a Sunburned Country, with that anecdote I knew it was going to be a great read. (And it was. I fell madly in love with Australia.)

Iris

« Reply #2964 on: November 10, 2012, 09:01:13 PM »
Iris, when Bill Bryson started off his book, In a Sunburned Country, with that anecdote I knew it was going to be a great read. (And it was. I fell madly in love with Australia.)

Well you're welcome to visit anytime  :)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2965 on: November 11, 2012, 01:17:58 AM »

Do they? Can they really not just say "Obviously a whack job" and leave it at that? Still, I come from a country where the only Prime Minister to die in office did so while having a swim at the beach  ::) so we tend to be a bit more relaxed about things. I believe I've told the story of the time that the Prime Minister was (unexpectedly) walking past and my brother and I were having an idle (and entirely joking) chat about running over and poking him in the eye and discussing the difficulties that his glasses would pose and wondering if that's why he wore glasses - to avoid eye-pokes. We looked up and realised that a very senior police officer was well within ear-shot of us and indeed holding back giggles, whether at our conversation or amusing double take I will never know.
But we have had 4 sitting Presidents assassinated (Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Kennedy), 1 sitting President injured (Reagan), 1 former President injured (Teddy Roosevelt. while campaigning as a 3rd party candidate for President), and  at least 14 attempted assassinations that did not result  in serious injury. Of the last 10 US Presidents only LBJ did not have someone try to kill him in office.

Kennedy - Killed, also a man named Richard Paul Pavlick planned to car bomb him

Nixon One person smuggled a gun into an event, another was going to crash a plane into the White House

Ford (who by the way is the only person so far to be President w/out being elected as President or VP - was appointed to VP after Agnew resigned became President after Nixon Resigned)  Lynett Fromme (of Manson Family) and Sara Jane More both tried to kill him

Carter - Raymond Lee Harvey mentally ill claimed to be part of a 4 man team.

Ronald Reagan Shot by John Hinckley Jr.

George H. W. Bush - attempted bombing Kuwait University

Bill Clinton - Frank Eugene Corder Tried to hit the White House with a single engine Cessna, Francisco Martin Duran fired 28 shots at the White House. Attempted bombing at APEC Forum in 1996,

George W Bush Robert Picket shot at the White House. Tbilisi, Georgia Vladimir Arutyunia threw a live grenade towards the President during a speech,

Obama - Oscar Ortega-Hernandez shot 7 times at the White House cracking a window.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Shalamar

« Reply #2966 on: November 11, 2012, 11:56:51 AM »
I used to have a cleaning lady named Rosemarie, and - at my recommendation - my friend Tammy hired her as well.  One day, Tammy asked me "Have you noticed any money going missing in your house?"

As a matter of fact, I had.  My then 10-year-old daughter had been saving up for an iPod and couldn't find the $165 she'd saved.  I hadn't had time to look for it yet, but I was sure it had to be somewhere, because she was notoriously careless with money.  Now I wasn't so sure.

Tammy decided to lay a trap for Rosemarie and left a $5 bill lying under a coffee table the next time Rosemarie came to clean.  Sure enough, Tammy found her stuffing the money into her pocket.   When she confronted her, Rosemarie said "I thought I dropped it!  I thought it was MY money!". Riiight.

Both Tammy and I fired her and threatened to call the police.  Rosemarie swore she hadn't stolen anything, then she offered to pay half the money back, all while still protesting her innocence.   Huh?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 12:43:09 PM by Shalamar »

MyFamily

« Reply #2967 on: November 11, 2012, 12:08:42 PM »

Am I the only one who noticed that she is not a registered voter?  I know, she could be from Canada or England, but I really think the article would have mentioned that, so yeah, if she feels that strongly about it, why didn't she do something about it?

Sorry, I'm the one who cheered when the daughter of some friends of mine who hold the oppositive political point of view from me told me she voted for the first time; she was surprised because I had to know she was voting for her parents' candidate and not mine, but I told her I was still excited she'd voted!

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

BarensMom

« Reply #2968 on: November 11, 2012, 12:38:18 PM »

But we have had 4 sitting Presidents assassinated (Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Kennedy), 1 sitting President injured (Reagan), 1 former President injured (Teddy Roosevelt. while campaigning as a 3rd party candidate for President), and  at least 14 attempted assassinations that did not result  in serious injury. Of the last 10 US Presidents only LBJ did not have someone try to kill him in office.

Nixon One person smuggled a gun into an event, another was going to crash a plane into the White House

Ford (who by the way is the only person so far to be President w/out being elected as President or VP - was appointed to VP after Agnew resigned became President after Nixon Resigned)  Lynett Fromme (of Manson Family) and Sara Jane More both tried to kill him

Bill Clinton - Frank Eugene Corder Tried to hit the White House with a single engine Cessna, Francisco Martin Duran fired 28 shots at the White House. Attempted bombing at APEC Forum in 1996,

George W Bush Robert Picket shot at the White House. Tbilisi, Georgia Vladimir Arutyunia threw a live grenade towards the President during a speech,

Obama - Oscar Ortega-Hernandez shot 7 times at the White House cracking a window.

Don't forget that Flight 93 was thought to be meant for the White House.

BB-VA

« Reply #2969 on: November 11, 2012, 01:27:46 PM »

Don't forget that Flight 93 was thought to be meant for the White House.

And presidential candidate Senator Robert Kennedy, murdered at the end of the California primary in 1968.

PS.  This is why presidential candidates now get secret service protection.

eta - PS
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 02:39:31 PM by BB-VA »
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"