Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1095170 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #2985 on: November 13, 2012, 03:28:20 PM »
This is less professional Darwinism than a tragic fall: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-14/mcafee-says-framed-for-murder-in-belize/4370350.

We can't know if he's guilty yet, of course, but it sounds like he's been in a slow downward spiral for some time, mentally.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #2986 on: November 13, 2012, 04:53:22 PM »
Whew - made it through the whole thread and feel I can now contribute a be-you-ti-ful example of both professional and (almost) personal Darwinism.

When I was sixteen/seventeen, I worked in a taxi office as Book-and-Dispatch - I answered the phones, took bookings and dispatched taxis. Generally speaking, my shifts were Saturday afternoon, Sunday afternoon (both until 7pm) and Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings 6pm to 9pm.

So. It's a Saturday. It's the second last Saturday before Christmas and we are BUSY. We normally only had one driver on for a Saturday afternoon, but it was busy enough that at 2pm I dug the boss out of bed (the office was in a converted house, so it's not quite as weird as it sounds!) and we were running two cars all afternoon (K and R).

That night we were due to have three drivers on: B, N and S.

At 6:30pm B arrived and traded off with K.

At 6:45pm N came on shift.

At 7pm (when I was due to go), R arrives back at the office to inquire where S was.

He was...less than impressed to learn that I'd so far seen neither hide nor hair of S. However, we had a three-car pick up at 7:30pm, so there was no choice but for him to stay out on the road and for me to stay in the office manning the phones. (And try to get hold of S to find out what he was playing at!)

I'd already rung my mother (who normally picked me up) and warned her I wasn't likely to be ready to go for at least an hour, so that was okay. However, by the time R got back from the three-car job, there was STILL no sign of S (he was now an hour late) and with a very busy night ahead, R asked me if I could stay on and work through to 1am.

So that's what we did. Mum ran me down some dinner (remember, I was supposed to be home for that!) and I worked until 2amish, before being taken home by B (who happened to be my father!).

So, to recap: this is a fairly impressive case of PD - no show and no call as a self-employed taxi driver on a Saturday night.

It gets better.

The following Tuesday, I turned up for my shift, fully expecting to hear that S has been canned, only to discover that S is actually working and has been since 4pm! I asked the day office guy about it and discover that R is on his way in. Turns out this is the first time since the previous week that anyone's seen S.

So off goes the day guy, I settle in and no more than ten minutes later, R arrives. He asks me to call S into the office, which I do. S pulls up outside, walks into the office, sees R and bolts straight out of the office and dives straight across an extremely busy main road at the height of rush hour.

So, to recap: impressive PD followed up by attempted personal darwinism by running straight out into busy traffic to avoid the well deserved telling off for the impressive PD.

Oh, and did I mention? That fateful Saturday happened to have been my seventeenth birthday...

Yeah. Not my best birthday ever, but BOY was it memorable!

Kaymyth

« Reply #2987 on: November 13, 2012, 10:21:28 PM »
From one of our clients, we are at work watching what may be shaping up to be a nice little case of professional Darwinism.

So, we have this big client.  We contract with Big Client on both their merchant and customer sides, the customer side consisting of Products A, B, and C.  There is a relatively new person handling Product C at their company.  And she's driving my co-workers absolutely bugnuts.

*  She's rude, demanding, and expects her every whim to be catered to.  When we don't do said catering, she throws a snitfit.

*  She asks the same questions, over and over, going in cycles through my co-worker, our team lead, another group's team lead, and our relationship manager.  Half of this is her trying to get the answer she wants rather than the answer she gets, the other half is because she never writes anything down because she's always calling us while she's driving.

*  It is, in fact, against Big Client's corporate policy to conduct business calls while driving.  Ever.

*  She has a very set, yet skewed, idea of how our office structure works.  Team Lead is other team lead's boss.  No?  They're peers?  Why is that?  And why must she always have to call into this ridiculous call queue?  She's never guaranteed to get the right person!  And sometimes they're not at their desk and she has to LEAVE MESSAGES!  Or worse, Someone Else handles her call!  Why can't we just have our receptionist handle these things (LOL!  Receptionist!  We're a cube farm!)

*  She's not our secretary, and thus she shouldn't have to bother with such things as knowing account numbers or any other identifying details that would allow us to, you know, help when she has an issue involving a particular customer.

*  Product C is really awesome, innit?  So why don't we just, say, stop marketing Products A and B?  Oh, customers using Product A aren't actually able to use Product C?  Well, we can either change the rules or just tell them that they don't matter.  What do you mean you won't do that?  Product C is alll that maaaattterrrs!

This isn't even some of the worst of it.  Team Lead and Coworker are showing visible signs of wanting to murder their phones every time she calls in.  I've been lucky enough to not have to deal with her much, yet, mostly by virtue of her not actually realizing that I work the program and thus know stuff. 

My time of bliss is probably running out.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2988 on: November 13, 2012, 11:03:26 PM »
From one of our clients, we are at work watching what may be shaping up to be a nice little case of professional Darwinism.

So, we have this big client.  We contract with Big Client on both their merchant and customer sides, the customer side consisting of Products A, B, and C.  There is a relatively new person handling Product C at their company.  And she's driving my co-workers absolutely bugnuts.

*  She's rude, demanding, and expects her every whim to be catered to.  When we don't do said catering, she throws a snitfit.

*  She asks the same questions, over and over, going in cycles through my co-worker, our team lead, another group's team lead, and our relationship manager.  Half of this is her trying to get the answer she wants rather than the answer she gets, the other half is because she never writes anything down because she's always calling us while she's driving.

*  It is, in fact, against Big Client's corporate policy to conduct business calls while driving.  Ever.

*  She has a very set, yet skewed, idea of how our office structure works.  Team Lead is other team lead's boss.  No?  They're peers?  Why is that?  And why must she always have to call into this ridiculous call queue?  She's never guaranteed to get the right person!  And sometimes they're not at their desk and she has to LEAVE MESSAGES!  Or worse, Someone Else handles her call!  Why can't we just have our receptionist handle these things (LOL!  Receptionist!  We're a cube farm!)

*  She's not our secretary, and thus she shouldn't have to bother with such things as knowing account numbers or any other identifying details that would allow us to, you know, help when she has an issue involving a particular customer.

*  Product C is really awesome, innit?  So why don't we just, say, stop marketing Products A and B?  Oh, customers using Product A aren't actually able to use Product C?  Well, we can either change the rules or just tell them that they don't matter.  What do you mean you won't do that?  Product C is alll that maaaattterrrs!

This isn't even some of the worst of it.  Team Lead and Coworker are showing visible signs of wanting to murder their phones every time she calls in.  I've been lucky enough to not have to deal with her much, yet, mostly by virtue of her not actually realizing that I work the program and thus know stuff. 

Document, document, document
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

Shalamar

« Reply #2989 on: November 14, 2012, 01:07:36 PM »
I used to have a co-worker whom I'll call Jerk.    Jerk had virtually no social skills.  Right off the bat (i.e. when he was a new hire and should have been keeping his mouth shut and his ears open), he'd argue with people about the best way to get a task done - never mind that those people knew the job MUCH better than he did. 

My co-worker friend about threw a fit one Christmas, because she was on the same team as Jerk, and he was arguing left and right about how her idea to buy Big Boss a Christmas present was a terrible idea.  My friend and everyone else loved their boss and wanted to pool their money to get him something really nice, but for some reason Jerk kept throwing spanners in the works.   It turned out later that Big Boss had reprimanded him and was therefore not Jerk's favorite person, but why he couldn't have just said "I'll sit this one out, thanks" is anyone's guess.

He'd also call his wife daily and scream at her in Roumanian, which was vastly entertaining.

He was finally fired for being caught reading a book at his desk all day instead of working (after being warned repeatedly to stop doing that).

The kicker is that his last name was the same as mine, and it's a fairly uncommon name.  I got SO fed up with people asking "Are you and Jerk related?"  "NO!"

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2990 on: November 14, 2012, 02:44:45 PM »
I'd been working for years in a specialzed department of a company, but they wanted a few of us to take a new-hire class to learn all aspects of the company.  I got partnered by a girl who kept trying to tell me how to work our computer system even though she knows I've been using that system for years. 

Class is treated as regular work days and our trainer reports back to each trainee's supervisor.  She was late many times and already in warning status even before her official first day in a permanent position. 

During lunch at a restaurant on our last day of class, she ordered dessert even though we were warned "no alcohol or dessert" because they are serving cake later at the worksite (they were not being cheap, tons of the higher-end food and nonalcoholic drinks were ordered). 

I don't know what happend later because I don't work with her, but one day a few weeks later, it dawned on me that I haven't seen her around and she was no longer on the email list.

At least she made it to finish the class unlike the guy who disappeared for days without a phone call and then showed up thinking he still had a job.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2991 on: November 14, 2012, 02:48:53 PM »
Posting racial slurs and hopes for assassination about the US President on Facebook, and then telling a TV interviewer that "I didn't think it would be that big of a deal," might not be a good career move.

Obama threat gets Turlock woman fired, reported to Secret Service

Am I the only one who noticed that she is not a registered voter?  I know, she could be from Canada or England, but I really think the article would have mentioned that, so yeah, if she feels that strongly about it, why didn't she do something about it?

Sorry, I'm the one who cheered when the daughter of some friends of mine who hold the oppositive political point of view from me told me she voted for the first time; she was surprised because I had to know she was voting for her parents' candidate and not mine, but I told her I was still excited she'd voted!

From what I've read a lot of first-time voters voted in this election.  That's a good thing, because people don't have a right to complain about the results if they could otherwise vote but just choose not to. 

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #2992 on: November 14, 2012, 03:18:04 PM »
As long as they do not complain on e-hell! 
That would get you kicked off!
 >:D
(local, state, and national)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2993 on: November 14, 2012, 04:34:20 PM »
From what I've read a lot of first-time voters voted in this election.  That's a good thing, because people don't have a right to complain about the results if they could otherwise vote but just choose not to.
I've seen a bumper sticker with DH's philosophy:
No Vote
No Grumble

However, after reading some posts on ehell, I have changed my opinion: People are entitled to their opinions, no matter how ill conceived they may seem to me.  Even if they don't vote, they still have the right to freedom of expression.

That said, I don't have to listen to them grumble.  I have freedom, too.  8)

I now think it is a good thing that people who speak forcefully against the issues and candidates that I support don't vote.  If I could talk all the idiots out of voting, then my vote counts more since it is a larger percentage of the whole. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2994 on: November 14, 2012, 05:53:39 PM »
No Vote
No Grumble

However, after reading some posts on ehell, I have changed my opinion: People are entitled to their opinions, no matter how ill conceived they may seem to me.  Even if they don't vote, they still have the right to freedom of expression.

I now think it is a good thing that people who speak forcefully against the issues and candidates that I support don't vote.  If I could talk all the idiots out of voting, then my vote counts more since it is a larger percentage of the whole. >:D

This is pretty much my philosophy.  "If you don't vote, you can complain if you want to.  I just won't take you seriously at all.  If you wanted something different, you would have done *something*."

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2995 on: November 14, 2012, 06:08:34 PM »
No Vote
No Grumble

This is pretty much my philosophy.  "If you don't vote, you can complain if you want to.  I just won't take you seriously at all.  If you wanted something different, you would have done *something*."

I resent that. ;) I can't vote, but I should be able to complain! Of course, I'm Canadian so I won't be affected by US domestic policies anyway but still...
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Kaymyth

« Reply #2996 on: November 14, 2012, 07:17:54 PM »

Document, document, document

Alas, we don't actually have any control over her and her employment status.  Our managers are well aware of the issue, and everyone's grumbling.  But believe me, they know.  (There was a conference at which she drunkenly accosted our Grandboss and tried to push her obnoxious ideas and complaints onto him.  That went over like a lead balloon.)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2997 on: November 14, 2012, 08:07:35 PM »

I resent that. ;) I can't vote, but I should be able to complain! Of course, I'm Canadian so I won't be affected by US domestic policies anyway but still...
Trimmed the quote tree to focus on the bolded part, which addresses blue2000's comment.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2998 on: November 14, 2012, 08:14:32 PM »

Trimmed the quote tree to focus on the bolded part, which addresses blue2000's comment.

Please stop with this line of comments about non-voters.

ETA: I meant this line of comments...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 09:02:38 PM by Mental Magpie »
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Adelaide

« Reply #2999 on: November 14, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
This story has been affectionately dubbed "Shotgate" by the 1L class here. We have a Class of 2015 Facebook group that all of us are a part of. It's for talking about everything under the sun with the class, but it also used to relay important announcements that are also sent out via e-mail. Unfortunately, some people in the group haven't quite gotten a hang of the fact that the faculty monitors this group as it is an official Facebook group with the University's seal on it. One guy posted about how he was going to get "obliterated" on shots and several other people replied to it. When we were at assembly the Dean walked on stage and croaked out, in her most disapproving tone, "Well, I saw the shots post, ladies and gentlemen...." and proceeded to give us yet another professionalism lecture. When everyone went to find the offending post it had been deleted and every post afterward mentioning alcohol had been wiped clean as well. I feel sorry for the guy who started the thread, as he had an appointment with one of the faculty members about it, but then again...no I don't.