Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1375516 times)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3000 on: November 15, 2012, 12:58:23 AM »
This story has been affectionately dubbed "Shotgate" by the 1L class here. We have a Class of 2015 Facebook group that all of us are a part of. It's for talking about everything under the sun with the class, but it also used to relay important announcements that are also sent out via e-mail. Unfortunately, some people in the group haven't quite gotten a hang of the fact that the faculty monitors this group as it is an official Facebook group with the University's seal on it. One guy posted about how he was going to get "obliterated" on shots and several other people replied to it. When we were at assembly the Dean walked on stage and croaked out, in her most disapproving tone, "Well, I saw the shots post, ladies and gentlemen...." and proceeded to give us yet another professionalism lecture. When everyone went to find the offending post it had been deleted and every post afterward mentioning alcohol had been wiped clean as well. I feel sorry for the guy who started the thread, as he had an appointment with one of the faculty members about it, but then again...no I don't.

Am I the only one singing "Shots" by (laugh a whole lot) now? Actually, I should probably quit singing that at work. Explosives plus alcohol do not mix  :P
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #3001 on: November 15, 2012, 10:20:30 AM »

Explosives plus alcohol do not mix  :P

Actually, they do. Quite energetically.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

deadbody

« Reply #3002 on: November 15, 2012, 10:36:54 AM »

Yeah I read that line and my only thought was "This is a person who doesn't know how to celebrate 4th of July."

:)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #3003 on: November 15, 2012, 11:49:40 AM »

Yeah I read that line and my only thought was "This is a person who doesn't know how to celebrate 4th of July."

:)

Fourth of July, oh heck yeah! 500 lb bombs and white phosphorus... Not so much  :P
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3004 on: November 15, 2012, 08:07:42 PM »
From what I've read a lot of first-time voters voted in this election.  That's a good thing, because people don't have a right to complain about the results if they could otherwise vote but just choose not to.

This is pretty much my philosophy.  "If you don't vote, you can complain if you want to.  I just won't take you seriously at all.  If you wanted something different, you would have done *something*."

I resent that. ;) I can't vote, but I should be able to complain! Of course, I'm Canadian so I won't be affected by US domestic policies anyway but still...
Trimmed the quote tree to focus on the bolded part, which addresses blue2000's comment.

Please stop with this line of comments about non-voters.

ETA: I meant this line of comments...

If you have a problem with how a thread is progressing, please report it and tell us why.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

AtraBecca

« Reply #3005 on: November 15, 2012, 08:26:18 PM »
From what I've read a lot of first-time voters voted in this election.  That's a good thing, because people don't have a right to complain about the results if they could otherwise vote but just choose not to.
I've seen a bumper sticker with DH's philosophy:
No Vote
No Grumble

However, after reading some posts on ehell, I have changed my opinion: People are entitled to their opinions, no matter how ill conceived they may seem to me.  Even if they don't vote, they still have the right to freedom of expression.

That said, I don't have to listen to them grumble.  I have freedom, too.  8)

I now think it is a good thing that people who speak forcefully against the issues and candidates that I support don't vote.  If I could talk all the idiots out of voting, then my vote counts more since it is a larger percentage of the whole. >:D

This is pretty much my philosophy.  "If you don't vote, you can complain if you want to.  I just won't take you seriously at all.  If you wanted something different, you would have done *something*."

I resent that. ;) I can't vote, but I should be able to complain! Of course, I'm Canadian so I won't be affected by US domestic policies anyway but still...

As a Canadian voter, I want to complain. If I hear anything else about Obama I'll scream! I wish Romney had won just because maybe the press wouldn't be reporting as much!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3006 on: November 15, 2012, 08:44:21 PM »
I've seen a bumper sticker with DH's philosophy:
No Vote
No Grumble

However, after reading some posts on ehell, I have changed my opinion: People are entitled to their opinions, no matter how ill conceived they may seem to me.  Even if they don't vote, they still have the right to freedom of expression.

That said, I don't have to listen to them grumble.  I have freedom, too.  8)

I now think it is a good thing that people who speak forcefully against the issues and candidates that I support don't vote.  If I could talk all the idiots out of voting, then my vote counts more since it is a larger percentage of the whole. >:D

As a Canadian voter, I want to complain. If I hear anything else about Obama I'll scream! I wish Romney had won just because maybe the press wouldn't be reporting as much!

The opposite's likely truer.  "Why did Obama lose?" would be the bigbig question.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3007 on: November 15, 2012, 08:56:04 PM »

Trimmed the quote tree to focus on the bolded part, which addresses blue2000's comment.

Please stop with this line of comments about non-voters.

ETA: I meant this line of comments...

If you have a problem with how a thread is progressing, please report it and tell us why.

My apologies.  Often a nudge from another poster gets things back on track.  I will report it next time.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3008 on: November 16, 2012, 12:17:41 AM »
All right, that's it. The above posters have been gagged for continuing political discussions.

ETA: If there are any more political posts in this thread it will be locked. I'm sick of moderating on an issue that is well known to be off limits.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 12:29:33 AM by cass2591 »
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #3009 on: November 16, 2012, 01:36:29 AM »
Thank you, Cass!
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

faithlessone

« Reply #3010 on: November 16, 2012, 04:08:19 AM »
Getting back on topic, I think one of my co-workers is heading for a bit of Professional Darwinism!

She works as a waitress Thursday lunchtime, and Friday/Saturday/Sunday evenings. The evenings don't seem to be a problem for her, but every single Thursday for the past month, she's had some excuse why she couldn't come in. Car trouble, a sick dog, the flu, and a burst pipe in her house. Strangely, none of these things have been an issue the following evening.

She hasn't been reprimanded really yet, because the boss is a bit of a softie and he likes her, but I can't see it going on much longer without something happening.

However, on a lighter note, it has led to a lot of us musing on what she's doing with those extra four hours!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3011 on: November 16, 2012, 07:36:51 AM »
Getting back on topic, I think one of my co-workers is heading for a bit of Professional Darwinism!

She works as a waitress Thursday lunchtime, and Friday/Saturday/Sunday evenings. The evenings don't seem to be a problem for her, but every single Thursday for the past month, she's had some excuse why she couldn't come in. Car trouble, a sick dog, the flu, and a burst pipe in her house. Strangely, none of these things have been an issue the following evening.

She hasn't been reprimanded really yet, because the boss is a bit of a softie and he likes her, but I can't see it going on much longer without something happening.

However, on a lighter note, it has led to a lot of us musing on what she's doing with those extra four hours!

My guess is she's sleeping.  If she's used to working evenings, she may stay up late when she gets home, then sleeps later the next day.  Getting up for a lunchtime shift may be difficult, so she's calling off to sleep.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

faithlessone

« Reply #3012 on: November 16, 2012, 07:59:50 AM »

My guess is she's sleeping.  If she's used to working evenings, she may stay up late when she gets home, then sleeps later the next day.  Getting up for a lunchtime shift may be difficult, so she's calling off to sleep.

This has only been an issue for the last month though. She's been working there (with those shifts) for almost a year!

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #3013 on: November 16, 2012, 08:48:20 AM »

I had a coworker like that (I'm sure I posted about her hundreds of pages back, lol.) Her excuses started out normal and then just got more and more outrageous. "I can't come in today, my husband put racing tires on our car and it's supposed to snow and they don't have traction." (On your Subaru??) "I rescued a squirrel that was hit by a car and I'm at the vet now so I won't be in this afternoon." "My house is tilted so workers are coming today to un-tilt my house." Yeah, those were all actual excuses. My other coworkers had a game where we'd try to figure out what crazy excuse she'd come up with next.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

wheeitsme

« Reply #3014 on: November 16, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »

My guess is that she doesn't feel she makes enough to come in.  Thursday lunch tips aren't anywhere near Friday/Saturday/Sunday night tips.