News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 22, 2017, 02:13:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3621050 times)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3045 on: November 24, 2012, 03:45:30 PM »

An earlier article gave me the idea that the whole family has an attitude that it's funny to break posted rules.  The whole, "Nobody's going to tell me what to do" mentality.

Well, in fairness I could see myself pretending to break posted rules for a funny photo so I don't think that's an *inherently* evil act. It's important to understand what's an appropriate target to aim at though...

You have to know where to draw the line, too. Pretending to yell at a sign is funny. The finger is actual disrespect, not pretense. :(
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Iris

« Reply #3046 on: November 24, 2012, 04:17:15 PM »

An earlier article gave me the idea that the whole family has an attitude that it's funny to break posted rules.  The whole, "Nobody's going to tell me what to do" mentality.

Well, in fairness I could see myself pretending to break posted rules for a funny photo so I don't think that's an *inherently* evil act. It's important to understand what's an appropriate target to aim at though...

You have to know where to draw the line, too. Pretending to yell at a sign is funny. The finger is actual disrespect, not pretense. :(

True, and in all honesty I wouldn't have done the 'fake yelling' at Arlington either, and I'm not even from the US. Some things are fair game to make light of and others ... just aren't.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Nora

« Reply #3047 on: November 24, 2012, 04:58:07 PM »
Not from the US either, and though I do have a macabre sense of humor I simply don't know what was going through her head having that photo taken. I do know that if she had tried that over here at the massacre sites she would probably have been lynched and quartered by the calmest people on earth. A sense of humor only goes so far.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

PeterM

« Reply #3048 on: November 24, 2012, 05:15:39 PM »

My thoughts exactly. When I first saw the story on  TV I thought she was just pretending to yell, which was dumb but not bad enough to get fired for. Then the newscaster pointed out that they'd blurred her finger and I thought, "Oh, like hell. Fire her."

I do think she was in the same mental space as the many folks who post "I do what I want" pictures, with them disobeying various signs. The vast majority of those are stupid at best, but at least vaguely funny and perfectly harmless. There are rules, though. Swigging a soda next to a "No Food Or Drinks" sign is not the same thing as flipping off the Tomb of the Unknowns, for God's sake.

Hillia

« Reply #3049 on: November 24, 2012, 05:21:03 PM »
What stands out to me is she had to go out of her way to do this. You don't just stumble upon the Tomb of the Unknowns, you have to ride the bus through Arlington for some distance, then walk through gardens and a ampitheatre type building to get there.  She really put in a lot of effort to spit in the faces of heroes.

LEMon

« Reply #3050 on: November 24, 2012, 06:04:43 PM »
And she was on a company trip and the photo was taken by a fellow worker.  This is one time, in my opinion, the company was very justified in firing the workers since it very much reflected on the the company; their funded trip, and their company focus of working with vetrans.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #3051 on: November 24, 2012, 06:50:59 PM »
PD at its finest:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/22/nonprofit-worker-fired-after-photo-scandal-at-arlington-national-cemetery/

Fired is certainly appropriate. The death threats she's been receiving since this picture went viral are OTT, though.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3052 on: November 24, 2012, 07:07:13 PM »
PD at its finest:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/22/nonprofit-worker-fired-after-photo-scandal-at-arlington-national-cemetery/

Fired is certainly appropriate. The death threats she's been receiving since this picture went viral are OTT, though.
death threats are always OTT
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mental Magpie

« Reply #3053 on: November 24, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
And she was on a company trip and the photo was taken by a fellow worker.  This is one time, in my opinion, the company was very justified in firing the workers since it very much reflected on the the company; their funded trip, and their company focus of working with vetrans.

I agree. I am one of those "my personal life has nothing to do with my professional life" kind of people, but she was on a work funded trip.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #3054 on: November 24, 2012, 08:20:19 PM »
If the photo had STAYED in the camera of her or her friend - it would be one thing.

But it got posted to the internet.....and now it's public that "nobody can tell ME what to do (or not do)" and she's learned that there is a price to be paid for doing some things in some places and breaking the rules very, very publically.

That she doesn't think ahead about consequences is a direct cause of the effect that she ignored the rules, had the photo taken, and then posted very publically on the world wide web.

No Vulcan or Betan training on logic in her educational background.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:57:09 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

BB-VA

« Reply #3055 on: November 24, 2012, 08:27:43 PM »
If the photo had STAYED in the camer of her or her friend - it would be one thing.

But it got posted to the internet.....and now it's public that "nobody can tell ME what to do (or not do)" and she's learned that there is a price to be paid for doing some things in some places and breaking the rules very, very publically.

That she doesn't think ahead about consequences is a direct cause of the effect that she ignored the rules, had the photo taken, and then posted very publically on the world wide web.

No Vulcan or Betan training on logic in her educational background.

If she had been on her own, and not on a business trip paid for by her employer, I might have said she didn't deserve to be fired.  But considering that not only did the employer pay for the trip, but they are in the business of helping the disabled to boot, well...She and her friend definitely became liabilities.

Wonder when the lawsuit for wrongful dismissal will be filed?
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #3056 on: November 24, 2012, 09:37:12 PM »
I doubt any lawyer (that isn't also fodder for this thread) would take the case:
"Oh, you're the (expletive) that represented that (expletive) that flipped off the Tomb of the Unknowns? No, thanks, I'll take my case elsewhere."
For in the fatness of these pursy times
Virtue itself of vice must pardon beg,
Yea, curb and woo for leave to do him good.
     Hamlet, Act 3, scene 4, lines 144-146
       (Pursy: wheezing)

PeterM

« Reply #3057 on: November 25, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »
One thing that occurred to me after re-reading the article is she's also a liar, and a bad one. She says no disrespect was intended. Of course she says that. I think you're required by law to say that when you get caught doing something like this. The thing is, though, in at least 99% of cases I'm willing to believe that the nitwits involved did not, in fact, intend any disrespect. It might not change my reaction but I can believe that "respect vs. disrespect" is one of the many, many things people who commit stupid acts don't think about before doing so.

This particular nitwit, though, was pretending to scream and flip off a sign that said "Silence and Respect." She was disobeying the sign, which is the entire point of this sort of picture. So she had to deliberately think, "How can I be non-silent and disrespectful?" in order to come up with what I'm sure seemed like a brilliant idea for a photo at the time. So yes, she did in fact intend disrespect. So feh on her.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3058 on: November 25, 2012, 10:34:06 PM »
I think there's a difference between disrespect for the authorities, though, and disrespect for the dead / for veterans.  I suspect she intended to just disrespect authority (i.e. whoever put in that sign and is trying to dictate that everyone must be respectful) and it didn't even occur to her that someone might interpret her actions as disrespectful to the deceased, the armed forces, or anyone else.  I can especially see that if she was going there with a mindset of the middle ground - not thinking soldiers are particularly worthy of extra respect but not thinking their careers make them worthy of extra disrespect either.  Some people see serving in the armed forces as a special thing and some people see it as a career choice just like being a doctor or a plumber.

mmswm

« Reply #3059 on: November 25, 2012, 10:42:20 PM »
There's a time and a place for pretty nearly everything.  My favorite photo of my late uncle is of him wearing a women's top, thong, 4 inch stiletto heels (okay, so he was an interesting character) smoking in front of a sign that says "No Smoking within 10 feet of this sign". That type of photo is amusing.  The photo in the article goes way beyond the pale. I can't think of a single way to justify such disrespect for our fallen.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)