Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1245890 times)

Iris

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3090 on: December 01, 2012, 04:03:27 PM »
This guy has a future?

Not sure, there are several layers of management to get things like this through and they are short staffed almost to crisis point, so he may stick around a little longer. I imagine though that he is still on probation. If they keep him past his probation period I think they're mad, but they've done madder things in the past.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

gingerzing

« Reply #3091 on: December 04, 2012, 02:55:47 PM »
Certainly.  She has a right to make a pariah of herself in the name of "free speech."  No one stopped her; she has not been arrested or imprisoned. No governmental entity has said "You can't say that."

And her prospective employers also have the right to free speech.  That speech is "No job for you!"

This. 
The problem with most people when they raise up the cry of "free speech" is that they forget that it is the fact that it covers only "The right to freedom of speech allows individuals to express themselves without interference or constraint by the government."   It doesn't mean that what you say or do doesn't have consequences with other people who have their rights as well.

Some good basics at this site.
http://www.uscourts.gov/EducationalResources/ClassroomActivities/FirstAmendment/WhatDoesFreeSpeechMean.aspx

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #3092 on: December 04, 2012, 04:48:15 PM »
One of the assistants in my department, Rachele, called in sick on Friday.  She said she couldn't come in to work because she was still tired when she woke up and she wanted to be well-rested for Monday.

Did she really call in sleepy?  And she really needed a whole extra day to rest up for Monday?

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3093 on: December 04, 2012, 05:15:51 PM »
One of the assistants in my department, Rachele, called in sick on Friday.  She said she couldn't come in to work because she was still tired when she woke up and she wanted to be well-rested for Monday.

Did she really call in sleepy?  And she really needed a whole extra day to rest up for Monday?
I have some health issues which make sleep problematic (fibromyalgia and chronic pain/chronic fatigue).  I'm not proud of it, but I have called in to work saying I would be in later because I needed more sleep.  Even I don't need a whole extra day to rest up for Monday.  Usually I'll be in 2-3 hours later.

My disability is racing my retirement date to see who wins:  Do I get a normal retirement on schedule or a disability retirement somewhat earlier?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3094 on: December 04, 2012, 10:03:32 PM »

I've totally called in sleepy before (and I don't have any underlying medical issues that make sleep difficult). Sometimes I just end up with a perfect storm of events that means I got very little sleep, and I wouldn't be able to function without taking a few extra hours to sleep in.

I've never called in sleepy for a whole day, though. Usually, my trade off is work 2-3 hours less, but actually be functional for the remaining 5-6, rather than be totally spaced out and useless for the 8 I'm scheduled to work.

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #3095 on: December 04, 2012, 10:49:10 PM »
That reminds me of an old Sally Forth comic strip: The alarm goes off. She tells her husband she's calling in sleepy. He convinces her not to. She staggers to the bathroom, looks at her reflection in the mirror, and says, "I'm calling in ugly."

Midnight Kitty, I'm with you all the way. I have fibro too, with depression. My employer forced me to take a disability retirement, due to having to take anti-depressants.  :( Oh, well, at least they have to pay me a pension.  >:D

I think I've already told the tale of professional Darwinism from that job...
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #3096 on: December 05, 2012, 07:24:37 AM »
That reminds me of an old Sally Forth comic strip: The alarm goes off. She tells her husband she's calling in sleepy. He convinces her not to. She staggers to the bathroom, looks at her reflection in the mirror, and says, "I'm calling in ugly."

Midnight Kitty, I'm with you all the way. I have fibro too, with depression. My employer forced me to take a disability retirement, due to having to take anti-depressants.  :( Oh, well, at least they have to pay me a pension.  >:D

I've called in scared before.  When I woke up, the entire world was covered in a sheet of ice.  I decided that my meager paycheck wasn't worth the cost of my life.
Fortunately, I had the time to take, so I was all right.

RubyCat

« Reply #3097 on: December 05, 2012, 07:27:46 AM »
I've called in tired before.  I was working nights and had spent the morning in court getting my non-rent-paying tenant evicted.  That story belongs in the Special Snowflake folder.  By the time I was done, I was so worked up I simply could. not. sleep.  At the point where if I could've fallen asleep I would be able to catch 2 hours, I called the supervisor and told her that was having trouble sleeping and didn't feel it would be safe for me to work that night.  It was the one and only time I had to do that so maybe that's why the supervisor was okay with it.

I heard a story the other day about somebody who was known to fall asleep on the job (she worked overnights).  A client she was supposed to be observing took a bad fall and when her explanation of how it happened did not add up, she was fired.  Why she wasn't fired before, I don't know. 

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #3098 on: December 05, 2012, 09:02:43 AM »

I've called in scared before.  When I woke up, the entire world was covered in a sheet of ice.  I decided that my meager paycheck wasn't worth the cost of my life.

I've gone home scared before. When I worked in a big box store, someone called in a bomb threat. We were all evacuated, bomb squad came and less than ten minutes later had cleared the store. I told the manager I didn't feel comfortable going back in because there was no way a thorough job had been done in that amount of time. He was fine with me leaving.

MissRose

« Reply #3099 on: December 05, 2012, 09:07:44 AM »

I've gone home scared before. When I worked in a big box store, someone called in a bomb threat. We were all evacuated, bomb squad came and less than ten minutes later had cleared the store. I told the manager I didn't feel comfortable going back in because there was no way a thorough job had been done in that amount of time. He was fine with me leaving.

I remember a group of people in my first full time job got to go home early after we learned about the death of a co-worker that was very sudden.  We were allowed some time to grieve the loss, and a few of us did take a day or so to recompose ourselves, plus a few people did go pay their respects to her family.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #3100 on: December 05, 2012, 09:35:29 AM »
I totally get why a person might call in sleepy.  But why a person would call in sleepy on a Friday with the excuse they needed to be rested up for Monday - thus giving them 3 full days to rest up - is the outrageous part to me.

otterwoman

« Reply #3101 on: December 05, 2012, 10:00:42 AM »
A friend worked at a business that was failing. One day he called into work blind. "Blind?" asked his boss. "Blind. I don't see the point of coming in."

Business closed up soon after.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3102 on: December 05, 2012, 11:57:30 AM »

I've totally called in sleepy before (and I don't have any underlying medical issues that make sleep difficult). Sometimes I just end up with a perfect storm of events that means I got very little sleep, and I wouldn't be able to function without taking a few extra hours to sleep in.

I've never called in sleepy for a whole day, though. Usually, my trade off is work 2-3 hours less, but actually be functional for the remaining 5-6, rather than be totally spaced out and useless for the 8 I'm scheduled to work.

I will admit to calling in sick because I was tired, but I fibbed and just said I wasn't feeling well, which isn't totally untrue. Lack of sleep makes me crabby, cranky, and sometimes feeling ill. But I don't do it very often at all; maybe once every couple of years since I get pretty generous vacation.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #3103 on: December 05, 2012, 12:01:03 PM »
Docking this as possible PD: Nurse at King Edward VII's hospital gives out information to a radio show about Duchess of Cambridge's medical details, thinking she was talking to the Queen.  It was a prank call but I'm not sure why nobody could figure that out - that must be one really good impression.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/05/kate-middleton-pregnant-hospital-nurse-radio_n_2243362.html

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3104 on: December 05, 2012, 01:50:30 PM »
Docking this as possible PD: Nurse at King Edward VII's hospital gives out information to a radio show about Duchess of Cambridge's medical details, thinking she was talking to the Queen.  It was a prank call but I'm not sure why nobody could figure that out - that must be one really good impression.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/05/kate-middleton-pregnant-hospital-nurse-radio_n_2243362.html

Rumour has it that the show is already on probation for other pranks. I don't think it will take long for the axe to fall.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.