News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 19, 2017, 10:59:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3613758 times)

dawbs

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3105 on: December 05, 2012, 04:37:27 PM »
Whoopsie.   :(  I work for an insurance company, and whereas we can look up our own accounts on the mainframe if we so choose, we don't have access to, y'know, DO stuff to them. 

That reminds me of when I was a newbie programmer at my old job.  I'd been asked to check a bunch of data files for a certain type of data (can't remember what offhand, but it doesn't matter).  Our files were all called something very generic, like "FILE001", so unless you knew from previous experience that FILE001 contained, say, product information, you wouldn't know what the file held until you opened it.  I was able to look at all the files except one, because it was encrypted.  I reported this to my boss, who said "Oh, okay", and neither of us thought anything more about it.

... until a day later, when I was hauled up before the Big Boss to explain why I'd tried to open the file that contained confidential salary information!   Fortunately, I had an excellent excuse (and my boss backed me up), otherwise that could have gone very badly for me.

I had something fairly similar (except the getting in trouble bit) happen to me at this job.
I was looking for something on the network drive and...ta-da, I was suddenly staring at a spreadsheet full of social-security numbers!

I told the person who answered phones in the department where the spreadsheet was and got blown off.
So I went to my boss, who got her "urgle" look (she had perfected that look) on her face and had me sit in her office while she called the head of HR and the president of the company.
I'm not sure what happened to the person who blew me off--she no longer works here but I think she was on her way out already, hence why she was blowing me off.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #3106 on: December 05, 2012, 05:03:32 PM »
I once called in to go shopping.  Yep, you read that correctly.  Shopping.  There was a SPECTACULAR sale going on at this mall about 45 minutes from where I live and I really wanted to go.

My boss was pretty awesome about it though.  She thought it was the most interesting reason she was ever given and besides she had way over schedule payroll hours that day. Granted, she did ask me to pick her up a pair of specific, hard to find, shoes if I came across them.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mental Magpie

« Reply #3107 on: December 05, 2012, 05:23:05 PM »
I once called in to go shopping.  Yep, you read that correctly.  Shopping.  There was a SPECTACULAR sale going on at this mall about 45 minutes from where I live and I really wanted to go.

My boss was pretty awesome about it though.  She thought it was the most interesting reason she was ever given and besides she had way over schedule payroll hours that day. Granted, she did ask me to pick her up a pair of specific, hard to find, shoes if I came across them.

She was probably glad you were honest with her, too.

Dark Sister skipped a day in high school to go hunting with Dark Father.  When she showed up and told them why, they gave her detention.  That's what telling the truth gets you, I guess.

Reika

« Reply #3108 on: December 05, 2012, 05:24:37 PM »
Mom heard about this situation this morning on the news and I figured it was perfect for this thread.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Man-accused-of-booting-ambulance-arrested-182254361.html

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #3109 on: December 05, 2012, 05:27:50 PM »
Mom heard about this situation this morning on the news and I figured it was perfect for this thread.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Man-accused-of-booting-ambulance-arrested-182254361.html

I love the bit where he's been in the country for at least ten months, but according to his co-worker he doesn't know what an ambulance looks like...

Reika

« Reply #3110 on: December 05, 2012, 05:31:34 PM »

I love the bit where he's been in the country for at least ten months, but according to his co-worker he doesn't know what an ambulance looks like...

No kidding. I did a lot of eyerolling at that part. :)

rose red

« Reply #3111 on: December 05, 2012, 05:39:18 PM »

Store clerks can put boots on cars?  ???  :o

LEMon

« Reply #3112 on: December 05, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »

Store clerks can put boots on cars?  ???  :o
Looking at the previous articles on it - looks like company professional darwinism.  The quickie store is the one causing the booting to happen, overcharging, and may not have the necessary permits.

nuit93

« Reply #3113 on: December 05, 2012, 06:10:52 PM »
One of my friends occasionally will call in because he'd rather play Scrabble all day with his wife.

And yes, that's what he tells his boss.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #3114 on: December 05, 2012, 06:13:45 PM »
Docking this as possible PD: Nurse at King Edward VII's hospital gives out information to a radio show about Duchess of Cambridge's medical details, thinking she was talking to the Queen.  It was a prank call but I'm not sure why nobody could figure that out - that must be one really good impression.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/05/kate-middleton-pregnant-hospital-nurse-radio_n_2243362.html

Rumour has it that the show is already on probation for other pranks. I don't think it will take long for the axe to fall.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if that was illegal (impersonating a member of the royal family in order to get information that they would not otherwise legally be able to obtain).

I agree MrTango.  Also, I feel really bad for the nurse and I hope that nothing happens to her.  I do hope that the radio station gets kicked.
Admittedly, as someone who works in the business office of a hospital, my first thought was "I wonder what the British version of HIPAA is like?"   (I know HIPAA is a US-only law, but I'm sure most countries have some sort of law regulating who can legally be given what private medical info.)

pwy a wyr

« Reply #3115 on: December 05, 2012, 08:17:22 PM »
Actually, ours is probably a little stricter, if anything, because over here, noone but the patient ever has a right to information or decision making without a legal document. No information is ever meant to be given out over the phone because you can't see who you're talking to. Furthermore, did the nurse actually think the Queen conducts her own phone enquiries? As a nurse, I think this is PD on the nurse's part too, and rightly so. A major part of her job working in a private hospital that the royals use, is protection of their privacy and confidentiality. She failed miserably in a way an NHS nurse knows better than to do. We have rules in place for these situations. She didn't follow them.

BB-VA

« Reply #3116 on: December 05, 2012, 08:54:26 PM »
Actually, ours is probably a little stricter, if anything, because over here, noone but the patient ever has a right to information or decision making without a legal document. No information is ever meant to be given out over the phone because you can't see who you're talking to. Furthermore, did the nurse actually think the Queen conducts her own phone enquiries? As a nurse, I think this is PD on the nurse's part too, and rightly so. A major part of her job working in a private hospital that the royals use, is protection of their privacy and confidentiality. She failed miserably in a way an NHS nurse knows better than to do. We have rules in place for these situations. She didn't follow them.

Maybe she was just so overwhelmed at actually.talking.to.the.QUEEN (well, she THOUGHT she was)  that she just lost all judgment.   Besides, who is going to say no to the Queen?
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #3117 on: December 05, 2012, 10:30:36 PM »
I called in sleepy once.
I accidentally took my morning medication dose in the evening.

As a one time thing it wasn't hazardous, but it did make me unable to wake up enough to function.
I called in and explained I'd taken the wrong meds and needed to sleep it off.
They were much more concerned than upset.

But I definitely wouldn't want to make a habit of it!!

{edited for tablet related spelling}
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:05:16 PM by White Dragon »
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3118 on: December 05, 2012, 11:37:20 PM »
I called in dleepy once.
I accidentally took my morning medication dose in the evening.

As a one time thing it wasn't hazardous, but it did make me unable to wake up enough to function.
I called in and explained I'd taken the wrong meds and needed to sleep it off.
They were much more concerned than upset.

But I definitely wouldn't want to make a habit of it!!

I think "I took the wrong meds" is definitely a reason to call in!!! ???

(and I'm glad it wasn't hazardous!)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3119 on: December 05, 2012, 11:44:33 PM »

Even if he doesn't know exactly what kind of vehicle it is, it had flashing emergency lights on the top of it! Why would he think it is an ordinary car owned by a customer??
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.