News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 23, 2017, 05:18:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3624146 times)

Lorelei_Evil

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3150 on: December 06, 2012, 06:09:16 PM »
It's such a shame, really.  This child is kept too busy cooking, cleaning, changing diapers to even do any schoolwork and nobody sees to care about that at all.  It makes me angry.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3151 on: December 06, 2012, 06:29:34 PM »
Unfortunately, this poor girl is probably receiving the training she needs for her future:  Cooking, cleaning, taking care of babies.  Some sweet-talkin' guy will come along and take her away from her miserable home life where she feels unappreciated.  Then she'll get pregnant (How did that happen?) and spend the rest of her life cooking, cleaning, and taking care of children. :-[
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3152 on: December 06, 2012, 07:51:02 PM »
At my school, if my parents called in an absence for whatever reason, it was fine up until the point where I was violating attendance rules.  Why didn't they just call in ahead of time and have dad explain that he was taking her out of school for the day?  Does no one go on vacations without getting detention for not being in school?

Since NCLB was passed  - no you don't go on vacation during the school year without being punished. AYP counts absences against the school. Miss AYP 2x for the same reason  and the feds start a take over of your school. So if it isn't a legal excused absence according to state law the district will often lower the boom in school. Truancy laws are pretty cut and dried and the schools can't say Sally can go hunting with Dad, but Johnny is playing hooky. Unexcused is unexcused X unexcused absences and the school is required by law to send the information to the truancy court.

Also to avoid AYP penalties our district will withdraw you if you miss a certain number of days in a row without contacting the school/answering our attempts to contact the parents. (I think it is either 5 or 10) We have people disappear regularly at breaks without withdrawing and then not enroll in another school till after the next break. (example families disappear from Thanksgiving till after winter break. When we ask the younger kids where they were they will tell us Mexico) It also happens between Spring break and Easter weekend.   

When we have parents come to us and say "We have a family emergency and have to go to (Mexico, Romania, another state) for a week." They are encouraged to withdraw and reenroll when they get back.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3153 on: December 06, 2012, 09:14:59 PM »
kherbert05 - If you must use acronyms, please explain them.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

mmswm

« Reply #3154 on: December 06, 2012, 09:22:38 PM »
NCLB stands for "No Child Left Behind", an educational reform act in the US.

AYP stands for "Adequate Yearly Progress".  Schools must "meet AYP" as per the requirements of NCLB.

:)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3155 on: December 06, 2012, 09:25:39 PM »
Mahalo, mmswm;
I have no children, so I'm not familiar with these things.  I know some teachers & students, but they spell things out when they talk to me.

Marcus Aurelius

mmswm

« Reply #3156 on: December 06, 2012, 09:29:22 PM »
I taught for most of a decade before the kids medical needs became overwhelming.  I often forget that "regular" people don't know the alphabet soup of education.  I do the same thing with the alphabet soup of the banking world, from my time with Major Bank. Sometimes it's easy to forget that regular people don't have any reason to know these things. :)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #3157 on: December 06, 2012, 10:02:17 PM »
All industries come with their own alphabet soup :)

One company I used to work for had numbers in theirs... 

Iris

« Reply #3158 on: December 07, 2012, 01:14:37 AM »
^ The truancy talk reminded me of a potential case of PD I encountered recently.

I WISH it was against the law for parents to take their child on vacation during school term in my country. One of my students just missed 5 weeks of school (the timing was such that she had to do her final exam on the first day back too  ::)). On her first day back she was telling me all about her wonderful activity that she did on holidays. Except "I wasn't really happy with [aspect] because I was pretty drunk when it happened".

Great. I'm a mandatory reporter of course, so that will now be investigated and questions will probably be asked of her mother who took her on the holiday. The professional darwinism part is that her mother is a police officer. *facepalm*
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3159 on: December 07, 2012, 08:33:29 AM »

My industry is a leader in TLAs...

Three-Letter Acronyms   >:D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #3160 on: December 07, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »

Mine, too!  We call ourselves the Ministry of TLAs.  Even the acronym for our Ministry is a TLA.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Luci

« Reply #3161 on: December 07, 2012, 09:45:24 AM »
I was an educator when No Child Left Behind was adopted, and I had not clue what she was talking about so had to open another tab to find it.

I was a librarian when Accelerated Reader program was started and did all the computer programing for them and manually labeled all of the books myself. Kids would come in for 'AR' books and I would just look at them blankly.

Pretty much except for FBI as an acronym, I'm lost. That includes staring at the computer screen and having to think about what DH means. No hope for me, I gress.

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #3162 on: December 07, 2012, 10:15:39 AM »

Mine, too!  We call ourselves the Ministry of TLAs.  Even the acronym for our Ministry is a TLA.

(Negative?) Bonus points for acronyms that use acronyms.
The days are long but the years are short.

TurtleDove

« Reply #3163 on: December 07, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »
^ The truancy talk reminded me of a potential case of PD I encountered recently.

I WISH it was against the law for parents to take their child on vacation during school term in my country. One of my students just missed 5 weeks of school (the timing was such that she had to do her final exam on the first day back too  ::)). On her first day back she was telling me all about her wonderful activity that she did on holidays. Except "I wasn't really happy with [aspect] because I was pretty drunk when it happened".

Great. I'm a mandatory reporter of course, so that will now be investigated and questions will probably be asked of her mother who took her on the holiday. The professional darwinism part is that her mother is a police officer. *facepalm*

I think it depends on the laws of the country she was holidaying in and the age of the student.  This doesn't automatically ring awful to me.

Dr. F.

« Reply #3164 on: December 07, 2012, 10:44:31 AM »

(Negative?) Bonus points for acronyms that use acronyms.

We call those endosymbiont acronyms.