Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1376297 times)

Iris

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3165 on: December 07, 2012, 02:14:37 AM »
^ The truancy talk reminded me of a potential case of PD I encountered recently.

I WISH it was against the law for parents to take their child on vacation during school term in my country. One of my students just missed 5 weeks of school (the timing was such that she had to do her final exam on the first day back too  ::)). On her first day back she was telling me all about her wonderful activity that she did on holidays. Except "I wasn't really happy with [aspect] because I was pretty drunk when it happened".

Great. I'm a mandatory reporter of course, so that will now be investigated and questions will probably be asked of her mother who took her on the holiday. The professional darwinism part is that her mother is a police officer. *facepalm*
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3166 on: December 07, 2012, 09:33:29 AM »
All industries come with their own alphabet soup :)

One company I used to work for had numbers in theirs...

My industry is a leader in TLAs...

Three-Letter Acronyms   >:D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3167 on: December 07, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »

Mine, too!  We call ourselves the Ministry of TLAs.  Even the acronym for our Ministry is a TLA.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3168 on: December 07, 2012, 10:45:24 AM »
I was an educator when No Child Left Behind was adopted, and I had not clue what she was talking about so had to open another tab to find it.

I was a librarian when Accelerated Reader program was started and did all the computer programing for them and manually labeled all of the books myself. Kids would come in for 'AR' books and I would just look at them blankly.

Pretty much except for FBI as an acronym, I'm lost. That includes staring at the computer screen and having to think about what DH means. No hope for me, I gress.

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #3169 on: December 07, 2012, 11:15:39 AM »

Mine, too!  We call ourselves the Ministry of TLAs.  Even the acronym for our Ministry is a TLA.

(Negative?) Bonus points for acronyms that use acronyms.
The days are long but the years are short.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3170 on: December 07, 2012, 11:34:38 AM »
^ The truancy talk reminded me of a potential case of PD I encountered recently.

I WISH it was against the law for parents to take their child on vacation during school term in my country. One of my students just missed 5 weeks of school (the timing was such that she had to do her final exam on the first day back too  ::)). On her first day back she was telling me all about her wonderful activity that she did on holidays. Except "I wasn't really happy with [aspect] because I was pretty drunk when it happened".

Great. I'm a mandatory reporter of course, so that will now be investigated and questions will probably be asked of her mother who took her on the holiday. The professional darwinism part is that her mother is a police officer. *facepalm*

I think it depends on the laws of the country she was holidaying in and the age of the student.  This doesn't automatically ring awful to me.

Dr. F.

« Reply #3171 on: December 07, 2012, 11:44:31 AM »

(Negative?) Bonus points for acronyms that use acronyms.

We call those endosymbiont acronyms.

EMuir

« Reply #3172 on: December 07, 2012, 11:47:11 AM »
Docking this as possible PD: Nurse at King Edward VII's hospital gives out information to a radio show about Duchess of Cambridge's medical details, thinking she was talking to the Queen.  It was a prank call but I'm not sure why nobody could figure that out - that must be one really good impression.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/05/kate-middleton-pregnant-hospital-nurse-radio_n_2243362.html

Rumour has it that the show is already on probation for other pranks. I don't think it will take long for the axe to fall.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if that was illegal (impersonating a member of the royal family in order to get information that they would not otherwise legally be able to obtain).

I agree MrTango.  Also, I feel really bad for the nurse and I hope that nothing happens to her.  I do hope that the radio station gets kicked.

Sadly, this literally became a case of PD... the nurse has committed suicide.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #3173 on: December 07, 2012, 11:49:54 AM »
Was it the nurse? I thought I read it was the hospital receptionist that transferred the call to the nurse. So very sad.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

o_gal

« Reply #3174 on: December 07, 2012, 12:21:03 PM »
Was it the nurse? I thought I read it was the hospital receptionist that transferred the call to the nurse. So very sad.

The woman who apparently committed suicide is a nurse, but she was not the nurse who divulged the details. She was the one who accepted that the pranksters were real, and put the call through to the ward, where it was handled by another nurse.

weeblewobble

« Reply #3175 on: December 07, 2012, 12:31:16 PM »

The woman who apparently committed suicide is a nurse, but she was not the nurse who divulged the details. She was the one who accepted that the pranksters were real, and put the call through to the ward, where it was handled by another nurse.

Ugh, I hope those DJs get charged with something. 

MrTango

« Reply #3176 on: December 07, 2012, 12:40:47 PM »

They should be charged no differently than if the woman had not committed suicide.

weeblewobble

« Reply #3177 on: December 07, 2012, 12:55:05 PM »
Think I might have to cross-post this to Exchanges That Make Your Head Hurt thread.  I just had a completely mind-boggling experience at a local fast food place.

I drove up to the drive thru, which was not terribly busy.  Please note that on the drive-thru menu, a number 6 is listed as a chicken sandwich.  I had to wait at the drive through speaker for several minutes, occasionally asking, "Hello?"  and hearing no response.  I was about to pull through and leave when the attendant finally answered. I asked for a number 6, which again, was listed as a chicken sandwich meal with a Coke. 

The attendant said, "OK, a double cheeseburger combo and a Coke?"

I said, "No, ma'am, a number 6, a chicken sandwich with a Coke, please."

"A number 6 is a double cheeseburger combo, honey." She replied in a rather snotty tone.

"According to your menu, it's a chicken sandwich," I said.

"Well, that's wrong," she said.

"OK, could I please have whatever combo includes a chicken sandwich?" I asked.

Already a little irritated because I was sucked into pretty pointless sandwich debate, I pulled forward and paid for my meal.  I paid with a $10 and was supposed to receive $3.97 in change.   Rude Attendant, the same one I'd been talking to earlier, handed me $.97 in change, without a word, and then turned her back on me to talk to one of her coworkers.  When she reached out to hand me my drink, I said, "Ma'am, I paid with a a $10, I have $3 in change due."   

"Well, I've already shut the register drawer," she said, rolling her eyes.

One of her coworkers overheard this exchange and offered her the register key.  Rude Attendant realized the coworker had overheard and said, "Yeah, I took her $3.  She caught me.  I'm trying to steal a whopping $3 from her."  in this loud, sarcastic voice and laughed really loud, like I was a completely ridiculous person for wanting my change back.  At the point, I had my Icily Polite Face on and was composing a complaint letter in my head.

Rude Attendant handed me my bag of food.  I checked the bag and saw my sandwich, so I pulled away, only to hear, "WAIT!"   Rude Attendant had put my sandwich on top of items that belonged in an order another employee was putting together.  I had to hand my bag back to Rude Attendant so she could straighten it out.  At this point, I was holding my tongue because I was REALLY afraid I would say something horribly rude.

Rude Attendant shoved the bag toward me. I took it, without checking it (my fault) and when I got home, I realized that  Rude Attendant still ended up giving me the wrong bag.  I ended up with a double cheeseburger afterall. (Facepalm.)

I don't think I'm going to bother with a letter to management, because there's no chance I'm ever going back to this restaurant.  Somewhere around the change issue, I started wondering whether I was on one of those "What Would You Do?" shows on ABC.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:57:46 PM by weeblewobble »

weeblewobble

« Reply #3178 on: December 07, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »

They should be charged no differently than if the woman had not committed suicide.

That's a good point.

Shalamar

« Reply #3179 on: December 07, 2012, 01:25:12 PM »
Ya know, weeblewobble, I'm betting that employee was indeed planning to pocket your three bucks.  She protested just a little too much.

Whenever something like that happens to me, I always remember Joe Pesci's famous rant in Lethal Weapon 2 about how people get "f***ed at the drivethru!  And you don't discover until you get home that you've been f***ed!".  One time, my husband and I ordered the BK Veggies from Burger King's drivethru.  The employee didn't know what we were talking about.  We said "The veggie burgers.  You know, they're like Whoppers, but they're meatless."  When we got home, we discovered that our burgers had buns, lettuce, tomatoes, and condiments.  That's all.

Well, they were meatless ....   ;D