Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1247936 times)

JadeAngel

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3210 on: December 30, 2012, 10:17:03 PM »
That reminds me of a situation at a previous employer of mine.  Note that this occurred before I started working there. I'm sketchy on some details as I was told this about 8 years ago now.   

Company was an employment agency, and "Andy's" job was recruiting e.g. building up relationships with companies and sourcing candidates to fill their vacancies - a VERY sales focused role for anybody who doesn't know (lots of people think it's about finding people jobs, which couldn't be further from the truth). 

*snip*       

Unfortunately, I learned that the hard way.  I warn people away from "employment" agencies that I've had bad experiences with.  The ones who oh-so-smoothly pump you for information about any businesses you had any connection with (not just your past work history), you're left confused and used, and you never hear from them again.

I had the same experience, I went to the employment agency for an interview, most of which took place in the hallway with the agent seeming rather uninterested, until I mentioned that I had an interview for a position the next day. Suddenly he's all ears and 'tell me all about it'

Sorry pal, I'm not here to do your job for you. You want to send other candidates to my job interview then find the details yourself!!

Shalamar

« Reply #3211 on: December 31, 2012, 06:46:44 PM »
That reminds me of our old real estate agent.   She was, frankly, terrible.   She ignored a lot of our comments about what we were looking for in a house, and she was very condescending to me for some reason.   The final straw was when I spotted a bunch of newly-built houses in the area we wanted - I phoned her to inquire about whether they were available, how much, etc., and her response was "What new houses?"   She didn't know anything about them.

snowfire

« Reply #3212 on: January 01, 2013, 07:38:41 PM »
We have had several fantastic realtors, some of whom have really worked their tails off for us.  We did have one real stinker, though.

He was the brother of a long term neighbor.  My Mom was looking for a house to buy as a rental.  The ONLY houses that this realtor wanted to show us were ones that he owned personally.  Sorry, nope, we are not the solution to YOUR problem.
(I think he had bought them as quick flips and was having trouble selling them, primarily because the locations universally sucked.) 

We dropped him like a hot rock.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3213 on: January 04, 2013, 10:53:37 AM »
Fight Me Like a Man

Not what you are supposed to say to a customer after you have refused to put ketchup on his sandwich. (Note: Subway is a chain of sandwich shops.)

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3214 on: January 04, 2013, 03:38:18 PM »
Why on earth would one start a fight over ketchup? Maybe it wasn't his idea of a good sandwich, but if the customer wants ketchup, and you have ketchup, why (at best) lose a customer over a couple of cents that are the company's, not yours, and (at worst) end up with jail time?  :o
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #3215 on: January 04, 2013, 03:46:35 PM »
The worker claimed he didn't have any ketchup to give.

Agreed that it is a bizarre overreaction.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3216 on: January 04, 2013, 05:08:42 PM »
Why on earth would one start a fight over ketchup? Maybe it wasn't his idea of a good sandwich, but if the customer wants ketchup, and you have ketchup, why (at best) lose a customer over a couple of cents that are the company's, not yours, and (at worst) end up with jail time?  :o
I followed the link to the story:  "He wants ketchup on the Philly cheese steak and I have never put -- we don't even have ketchup at Subway -- I've never put ketchup on anybody's sandwich," said Ordone. Then again, he later says, "There's ketchup three aisles down. You can go buy your own ketchup, and I promise to God, you can put as much as you want on it and nobody's going to say nothing."

He's not the poster boy for Customer Service. ::)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #3217 on: January 04, 2013, 05:12:27 PM »

As far as I know, Subway doesn't carry ketchup and never has. It might be one of the ones in a Wal-Mart, in which case, yeah, the customer could go buy his own. But that's a bizarre reason for either guy to suddenly go caveman on each other.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Jocelyn

« Reply #3218 on: January 04, 2013, 07:16:51 PM »
I suppose saying, 'Sorry, ketchup isn't one of the condiments we use' was just too unmanly? >:D

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #3219 on: January 04, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »

As far as I know, Subway doesn't carry ketchup and never has. It might be one of the ones in a Wal-Mart, in which case, yeah, the customer could go buy his own. But that's a bizarre reason for either guy to suddenly go caveman on each other.

It is-it was mentioned in the article.  Not that he should have to buy a bottle of ketchup. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:49:08 PM by KitKat »

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3220 on: January 04, 2013, 09:08:41 PM »

It is-it was mentioned in the article.  Not that he should have to buy a bottle of ketchup.

If he wants ketchup and Subway doesn't provide it, then he does have to buy a bottle -- or get it some way on his own. The restaurant isn't obliged to provide every possible condiment.  The fact that they don't doesn't give the customer the right to get pissy about it and it certainly doesn't give the worker the right to make threats in retaliation.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #3221 on: January 05, 2013, 04:02:49 AM »

What do you mean? Of course he should. The Subway is under no obligation to provide it for him.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

greencat

« Reply #3222 on: January 05, 2013, 03:07:32 PM »
That was definitely a case where things went:
Normal (ish, because ordering ketchup on a philly isn't exactly standard)
Normal (Subway doesn't have ketchup)
Huh?  (The belligerence)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3223 on: January 05, 2013, 07:55:13 PM »
I'm not from Philly, but I do like ketchup on my hot subs. 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3224 on: January 05, 2013, 08:12:35 PM »
For those of you who don't know, I'm a corrections officer (aka prison guard).  I cannot get into much detail in the thread, but I can tell you this:

A CO was using Google Maps to show addresses for an offender because, apparently, the offender wanted to see where his (inmate) daughter lived.

ETA: It was the inmate's daughter.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 08:45:39 PM by Mental Magpie »
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.