News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 20, 2017, 12:50:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3523566 times)

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3210 on: January 04, 2013, 04:12:27 PM »
Why on earth would one start a fight over ketchup? Maybe it wasn't his idea of a good sandwich, but if the customer wants ketchup, and you have ketchup, why (at best) lose a customer over a couple of cents that are the company's, not yours, and (at worst) end up with jail time?  :o

As far as I know, Subway doesn't carry ketchup and never has. It might be one of the ones in a Wal-Mart, in which case, yeah, the customer could go buy his own. But that's a bizarre reason for either guy to suddenly go caveman on each other.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Jocelyn

« Reply #3211 on: January 04, 2013, 06:16:51 PM »
I suppose saying, 'Sorry, ketchup isn't one of the condiments we use' was just too unmanly? >:D

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #3212 on: January 04, 2013, 07:47:27 PM »
Why on earth would one start a fight over ketchup? Maybe it wasn't his idea of a good sandwich, but if the customer wants ketchup, and you have ketchup, why (at best) lose a customer over a couple of cents that are the company's, not yours, and (at worst) end up with jail time?  :o

As far as I know, Subway doesn't carry ketchup and never has. It might be one of the ones in a Wal-Mart, in which case, yeah, the customer could go buy his own. But that's a bizarre reason for either guy to suddenly go caveman on each other.

It is-it was mentioned in the article.  Not that he should have to buy a bottle of ketchup. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:49:08 PM by KitKat »

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3213 on: January 04, 2013, 08:08:41 PM »

It is-it was mentioned in the article.  Not that he should have to buy a bottle of ketchup.

If he wants ketchup and Subway doesn't provide it, then he does have to buy a bottle -- or get it some way on his own. The restaurant isn't obliged to provide every possible condiment.  The fact that they don't doesn't give the customer the right to get pissy about it and it certainly doesn't give the worker the right to make threats in retaliation.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #3214 on: January 05, 2013, 03:02:49 AM »

What do you mean? Of course he should. The Subway is under no obligation to provide it for him.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #3215 on: January 05, 2013, 02:07:32 PM »
That was definitely a case where things went:
Normal (ish, because ordering ketchup on a philly isn't exactly standard)
Normal (Subway doesn't have ketchup)
Huh?  (The belligerence)

PastryGoddess

« Reply #3216 on: January 05, 2013, 06:55:13 PM »
I'm not from Philly, but I do like ketchup on my hot subs. 

Mental Magpie

« Reply #3217 on: January 05, 2013, 07:12:35 PM »
For those of you who don't know, I'm a corrections officer (aka prison guard).  I cannot get into much detail in the thread, but I can tell you this:

A CO was using Google Maps to show addresses for an offender because, apparently, the offender wanted to see where his (inmate) daughter lived.

ETA: It was the inmate's daughter.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 07:45:39 PM by Mental Magpie »

Amava

« Reply #3218 on: January 05, 2013, 07:21:35 PM »
For those of you who don't know, I'm a corrections officer (aka prison guard).  I cannot get into much detail in the thread, but I can tell you this:

A CO was using Google Maps to show addresses for an offender because, apparently, the offender wanted to see where his daughter lived.

"his daughter" being "the CO's daughter" or "the offender's daughter"?

JadeAngel

« Reply #3219 on: January 05, 2013, 07:40:06 PM »

A CO was using Google Maps to show addresses for an offender because, apparently, the offender wanted to see where his daughter lived.

I would hope the CO wouldn't be showing an inmate pictures/maps of where the CO's family lived, but at this point I wouldn't put anything past anyone.

I assume the offending CO has been relieved of his duties or will be very soon. Especially as I am sure that he/she only has the inmate's word that the address they're looking for is actually the home of a family member and that this "alleged" daughter would want her father to have directions to her home. 

Mental Magpie

« Reply #3220 on: January 05, 2013, 07:46:30 PM »

I would hope the CO wouldn't be showing an inmate pictures/maps of where the CO's family lived, but at this point I wouldn't put anything past anyone.

I assume the offending CO has been relieved of his duties or will be very soon. Especially as I am sure that he/she only has the inmate's word that the address they're looking for is actually the home of a family member and that this "alleged" daughter would want her father to have directions to her home.

It was the inmate's daughter's address.  Yes, the CO was relieved of his duties post haste.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3221 on: January 05, 2013, 07:52:08 PM »
In Florida, we have CO's who are killed by inmates every year. Usually, there is another CO who is found to be at fault. So senseless and tragic.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Mental Magpie

« Reply #3222 on: January 05, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
In Florida, we have CO's who are killed by inmates every year. Usually, there is another CO who is found to be at fault. So senseless and tragic.

Wow.  Just wow.  In the entirety of my state's correctional history (1887), only 21 officers have been killed, 11 of which happened in one riot.  I cannot imagine being a CO in Florida.  So senseless and tragic.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3223 on: January 05, 2013, 09:28:17 PM »
The federal prisons here have lower rates than the state prisons do.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #3224 on: January 05, 2013, 10:51:20 PM »

What do you mean? Of course he should. The Subway is under no obligation to provide it for him.

The customer is under no obligation to buy his sandwiches from subway.  The article didn't say whether or not he asked for ketchup from the beginning or after the sandwich was made.  If I order a sandwich with an ingredient a restaurant doesn't have the employee needs to inform me of that fact upfront.