Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1414349 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3270 on: January 16, 2013, 11:52:59 AM »
It's one of those schemes where your company either has to fire you ignominously, or promote you to CEO.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3271 on: January 16, 2013, 11:56:23 AM »
It's one of those schemes where your company either has to fire you ignominously, or promote you to CEO.

This.  +1

Shalamar

« Reply #3272 on: January 16, 2013, 01:01:19 PM »
Senior analyst thinks this whole thing is hilarious. She says she's going to make it a game to see how many direct questions she can ask Mr 16 Years in one meeting without him ever directly answering her.

I wonder if he doesn't like answering to a woman?  I've worked with a lot of guys like that.  I have a male co-worker like that right now, actually - when he joined the company a couple of years ago, I was assigned to train him.  He all but patted me on the head and said "I'll wait for Boss, thanks."  Fortunately, Boss made it very clear that he was to answer to me, because she was too busy.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3273 on: January 16, 2013, 01:06:39 PM »
Parking my POD here.  ;)

My favorite new epithet is "dishpit."  >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #3274 on: January 16, 2013, 01:47:57 PM »
You know, I really read dishpit wrong and... well, I was initially surprised you'd call someone that AND that it made it past the filters...

LOL, me too.  I had to read that a couple of times.

GSNW

« Reply #3275 on: January 16, 2013, 02:41:45 PM »
Here he is, the same co-worker from the SS thread (eating breakfast during a parent teacher conference, to refresh memories).  Aside from the story I'll relate below, he has recently brought a pair of javelins in to work (carrying them over his shoulder on the way into the building) with the intention of "practicing" with them on the field after school.  Admin luckily caught wind of this (probably because he was talking to the kids about them since they were propped against his wall) and told him this would not be possible.  Sheesh.

I have a student this year we'll call Tim.  Tim has very mild autism, he is very brilliant (not just memorizing, but analyzing and arguing) but has serious self-esteem issues.  Even a mild comment of, "Please stop doing that" can get him down for the rest of the class period.  We're trying hard to get him to separate a correction from thinking he's just a terrible person or a bad kid.

Yesterday, Tim arrived in my room in a total tizzy.  This isn't unusual but when he's in a state like this it can be hard to get him settled into what the class is doing.  He explained to me that in his previous class (with SS teacher), he had a few coupons for Krispy Kreme.  He was waving these around in people's faces, being a little obnoxious (not unusual for Tim) so the SS teacher took them away (fine).  Instead of setting them aside and moving on, SS teacher proceeded to tear the coupons up, throw them in the trash, and tell Tim, "Your arteries are jumping for joy."

Tim told me that he is a "fat freak" who "can't eat any more donuts."  Tim is overweight, maybe 25 pounds or so, but I told Tim that is arteries are strictly between him and his parents and if SS teacher comments on them again, he should reply, "thank you for your concern."  I cannot BELIEVE SS teacher made this remark to any student, let alone one who we are really watching in terms of self-image.  It's fine for him to put down the coupons, take them away, call home, whatever, but an ELA teacher in no way has any business commenting on someone's ARTERIES with no invitation.

Yes, I reported the incident to the counselor because I know the parents are going to wind up calling the school, and I don't blame them!!!!

Shalamar

« Reply #3276 on: January 16, 2013, 03:18:06 PM »
Yikes.  Poor Tim!  I'm glad you're in his corner.

Cami

« Reply #3277 on: January 16, 2013, 03:23:33 PM »
Here he is, the same co-worker from the SS thread (eating breakfast during a parent teacher conference, to refresh memories).  Aside from the story I'll relate below, he has recently brought a pair of javelins in to work (carrying them over his shoulder on the way into the building) with the intention of "practicing" with them on the field after school.  Admin luckily caught wind of this (probably because he was talking to the kids about them since they were propped against his wall) and told him this would not be possible.  Sheesh.

I have a student this year we'll call Tim.  Tim has very mild autism, he is very brilliant (not just memorizing, but analyzing and arguing) but has serious self-esteem issues.  Even a mild comment of, "Please stop doing that" can get him down for the rest of the class period.  We're trying hard to get him to separate a correction from thinking he's just a terrible person or a bad kid.

Yesterday, Tim arrived in my room in a total tizzy.  This isn't unusual but when he's in a state like this it can be hard to get him settled into what the class is doing.  He explained to me that in his previous class (with SS teacher), he had a few coupons for Krispy Kreme.  He was waving these around in people's faces, being a little obnoxious (not unusual for Tim) so the SS teacher took them away (fine).  Instead of setting them aside and moving on, SS teacher proceeded to tear the coupons up, throw them in the trash, and tell Tim, "Your arteries are jumping for joy."

Tim told me that he is a "fat freak" who "can't eat any more donuts."  Tim is overweight, maybe 25 pounds or so, but I told Tim that is arteries are strictly between him and his parents and if SS teacher comments on them again, he should reply, "thank you for your concern."  I cannot BELIEVE SS teacher made this remark to any student, let alone one who we are really watching in terms of self-image.  It's fine for him to put down the coupons, take them away, call home, whatever, but an ELA teacher in no way has any business commenting on someone's ARTERIES with no invitation.

Yes, I reported the incident to the counselor because I know the parents are going to wind up calling the school, and I don't blame them!!!!
As a parent of any child, I'd be on the phone with the principal if a teacher destroyed my child's property. Absolutely unacceptable.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3278 on: January 16, 2013, 03:43:37 PM »
... and tell Tim, "Your arteries are jumping for joy."

Tim told me that he is a "fat freak" who "can't eat any more donuts." 

I don't see how Tim made this leap?  I agree the teacher handled this poorly, but she made no comment about his weight.

GSNW

« Reply #3279 on: January 16, 2013, 03:48:52 PM »

I don't see how Tim made this leap?  I agree the teacher handled this poorly, but she made no comment about his weight.

Tim is smart enough to understand that donuts are not healthy, which equals clogged arteries.  I think ANYONE who is insecure about their weight would take a reprimand about food choices to mean that someone thinks they are too fat.  Especially at this age... middle school is a terrible time for many kids in terms of insecurities and self-image.  Teachers have to watch what they say and think about how it will be received.  A snide remark like that - in front of the entire class, no less - is so many kinds of horrible.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #3280 on: January 16, 2013, 07:09:36 PM »

Most likely he has heard jokes and/or insults (maybe on television) that connect what people "should" eat and being fat. There's a lot of association of donuts with fat people.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Hillia

« Reply #3281 on: January 16, 2013, 10:30:28 PM »
Re: outsourcing guy.  He could also have landed his company in big trouble.  I know at my company, we have clients that very specifically forbid sending any work overseas (we have a large workforce of developers in India).  We could lose some large contracts and face major fines (my company does a lot of work with state governments) if we were to do that - or if one of our employees did it unofficially.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #3282 on: January 16, 2013, 11:23:40 PM »
Re: outsourcing guy.  He could also have landed his company in big trouble.  I know at my company, we have clients that very specifically forbid sending any work overseas (we have a large workforce of developers in India).  We could lose some large contracts and face major fines (my company does a lot of work with state governments) if we were to do that - or if one of our employees did it unofficially.
I'll see you one better than that, my company has strict rules with the clients not letting us send any of their confidential data outside our countries borders. Where do they put the fall-over relay for when our network goes down? The other side of the planet. <face palm>
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

greencat

« Reply #3283 on: January 17, 2013, 02:02:22 AM »
You know, I really read dishpit wrong and... well, I was initially surprised you'd call someone that AND that it made it past the filters...
^This.^

Actually, when I hit Traska's post, I thought the word was the dirty anagram too!

BB-VA

« Reply #3284 on: January 17, 2013, 07:06:35 AM »

Ha!  It took a few read-throughs of the original post and yours not to wonder the same!

hmmmm....could that be a new addition to the EHell vocabulary?   ;)

edited to make more sense
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"