News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 17, 2017, 09:40:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3605655 times)

faithlessone

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3256 on: January 16, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
Security audit finds dev OUTSOURCED his JOB to China to goof off at work

:o

Oh wow! Now that is quite impressive. Does anyone know how long he got away with it for?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3257 on: January 16, 2013, 09:40:21 AM »
Brings up an interesting point, though... assuming there's no security or confidentiality concerns, was what he did really all that wrong?  People subcontract all the time.  Mind you, it was somewhat dishonest, but really it's just an exaggeration of normal business practices (the acronym NSFW exists for a reason!)

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3258 on: January 16, 2013, 10:16:04 AM »
He was an employee of his company and I'm sure he was not authorized to subcontract his work without prior clearance from his employer. Nor was he authorized to send his token (a piece of hardware that allowed access to the private network) to someone outside the company.  Also, his duties did not include sitting around and surfing the web.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #3259 on: January 16, 2013, 10:37:57 AM »
That would be security and confidentiality then.  Then again, I wasn't asking whether it went against corporate policy... merely whether it was entirely unethical.  The work got done (on his dime, I would assume), so he wasn't defrauding the company out of pay for work.  My first reaction when reading this, honestly, was to congratulate him on his cleverness.

faithlessone

« Reply #3260 on: January 16, 2013, 10:40:23 AM »
I'm pretty certain a strong case could be made for fraud.

He was employed by several companies (not just the one that sparked the investigation), and considered a star programmer. He was obviously misrepresenting his skills, and being paid handsomely for it. If the company wanted to outsource their jobs to China, I'm sure they would.

Adding in the stuff about his token, which I'm sure could have led to a massive breach of security if it got into the wrong hands, and I'm surprised he wasn't arrested.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #3261 on: January 16, 2013, 10:44:00 AM »
5 Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) workers were fired.  They were responsible for writing tickets for violations, such as loitering, littering, etc.  Instead of actually doing their job, they wrote bogus tickets in the name of various well know homeless people who frequent the stations, looking for a place to keep warm.  Technically, the homeless folks would be loitering but policy is not to ticket them if they aren't being disruptive.  And besides, the tickets were never actually issued to the people whose names are on them.  Not that they could pay them, anyway, being homeless and all.  Oh, and most of these employees?  Made the Sunshine List, which is a list of public servents making >$100,000 per year.  Which they could only do by charging significant overtime since their normal salary is quite a bit less than that.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

NyaChan

« Reply #3262 on: January 16, 2013, 10:44:35 AM »
I'm pretty certain a strong case could be made for fraud.

He was employed by several companies (not just the one that sparked the investigation), and considered a star programmer. He was obviously misrepresenting his skills, and being paid handsomely for it. If the company wanted to outsource their jobs to China, I'm sure they would.

Adding in the stuff about his token, which I'm sure could have led to a massive breach of security if it got into the wrong hands, and I'm surprised he wasn't arrested.

Aside from the fact that it was wrong- I was actually impressed by the cleverness of his scheme.

Twik

« Reply #3263 on: January 16, 2013, 10:52:59 AM »
It's one of those schemes where your company either has to fire you ignominously, or promote you to CEO.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #3264 on: January 16, 2013, 10:56:23 AM »
It's one of those schemes where your company either has to fire you ignominously, or promote you to CEO.

This.  +1

Shalamar

« Reply #3265 on: January 16, 2013, 12:01:19 PM »
Senior analyst thinks this whole thing is hilarious. She says she's going to make it a game to see how many direct questions she can ask Mr 16 Years in one meeting without him ever directly answering her.

I wonder if he doesn't like answering to a woman?  I've worked with a lot of guys like that.  I have a male co-worker like that right now, actually - when he joined the company a couple of years ago, I was assigned to train him.  He all but patted me on the head and said "I'll wait for Boss, thanks."  Fortunately, Boss made it very clear that he was to answer to me, because she was too busy.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3266 on: January 16, 2013, 12:06:39 PM »
Parking my POD here.  ;)

My favorite new epithet is "dishpit."  >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #3267 on: January 16, 2013, 12:47:57 PM »
You know, I really read dishpit wrong and... well, I was initially surprised you'd call someone that AND that it made it past the filters...

LOL, me too.  I had to read that a couple of times.

GSNW

« Reply #3268 on: January 16, 2013, 01:41:45 PM »
Here he is, the same co-worker from the SS thread (eating breakfast during a parent teacher conference, to refresh memories).  Aside from the story I'll relate below, he has recently brought a pair of javelins in to work (carrying them over his shoulder on the way into the building) with the intention of "practicing" with them on the field after school.  Admin luckily caught wind of this (probably because he was talking to the kids about them since they were propped against his wall) and told him this would not be possible.  Sheesh.

I have a student this year we'll call Tim.  Tim has very mild autism, he is very brilliant (not just memorizing, but analyzing and arguing) but has serious self-esteem issues.  Even a mild comment of, "Please stop doing that" can get him down for the rest of the class period.  We're trying hard to get him to separate a correction from thinking he's just a terrible person or a bad kid.

Yesterday, Tim arrived in my room in a total tizzy.  This isn't unusual but when he's in a state like this it can be hard to get him settled into what the class is doing.  He explained to me that in his previous class (with SS teacher), he had a few coupons for Krispy Kreme.  He was waving these around in people's faces, being a little obnoxious (not unusual for Tim) so the SS teacher took them away (fine).  Instead of setting them aside and moving on, SS teacher proceeded to tear the coupons up, throw them in the trash, and tell Tim, "Your arteries are jumping for joy."

Tim told me that he is a "fat freak" who "can't eat any more donuts."  Tim is overweight, maybe 25 pounds or so, but I told Tim that is arteries are strictly between him and his parents and if SS teacher comments on them again, he should reply, "thank you for your concern."  I cannot BELIEVE SS teacher made this remark to any student, let alone one who we are really watching in terms of self-image.  It's fine for him to put down the coupons, take them away, call home, whatever, but an ELA teacher in no way has any business commenting on someone's ARTERIES with no invitation.

Yes, I reported the incident to the counselor because I know the parents are going to wind up calling the school, and I don't blame them!!!!

Shalamar

« Reply #3269 on: January 16, 2013, 02:18:06 PM »
Yikes.  Poor Tim!  I'm glad you're in his corner.