Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1324611 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3315 on: January 30, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »
A friend of mine who was TA for a class once received a report, worth a considerable proportion of the mark, that was a photocopy of someone else's report, with the name blacked out and their own name written in beside it.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #3316 on: January 30, 2013, 02:42:27 PM »
I set a research homework and got a printed webpage submitted.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #3317 on: January 30, 2013, 04:15:03 PM »
I have been entertained by this thread, when I haven't been too busy being saddened if not outright terrified by it.  :o

I was going to post about my older brother in the "Beggers/Moochers/Scammers" thread, but I thought I might share this little nugget about his PD. Actually, I think he didn't commit PD as much as basically murder his own employment with his S.S.-ness, but I'll let you guys read for yourselves:

Though he is currently an unemployed sponge, years ago my brother had just got a new job. He has a disability, so this job was found for him through the aid of a special employment service. He contacted his new bosses and informed them that he wanted to start his new job...by taking his allotted vacation.  ??? Yes, he basically wanted to put off actually coming in to his new job, but using the time off that being employed in this new job made him eligible for! Is anyone else's brain broken yet? Oh wait, it gets better.  ::) When (unsurprisingly) his new employer told him that "I'm afraid that won't be possible," Super Sponge got angry...and...QUIT.

In this last year (keeping in mind what kind of shape our U.S. economy/unemployment are in), his Royal Loaf has turned down jobs that the employment agency has found for him because they don't pay enough.  ??? :o >:( Again unsurprisingly, the employment agency has now told him that they can't really do anything else for him, and are closing his file. So he has proven to excel at the advanced form of Preemptive PD. If he won't even APPLY, I suppose that saves others the trouble of not hiring him, or firing him.

Not only has my brother killed his employment, his has systematically destroyed even the faintest employment possibilities and now seems determined to bury his future six feet under in the cold hard ground. Because the world owes him you see, and he shouldn't have to work if he doesn't want to, and surely his siblings will bail him out...  yeah he's gonna get a rude awakening on that last one.  >:( ::)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3318 on: January 30, 2013, 06:28:21 PM »
Insurance claim - the police report came in with changes made to it to make it look like the driver at fault really hadn't been at fault.  Same thing on the repair bill from the body shop, apparently. 

The changes had been made to a black & white copy of the original report (also black & white) in crayon.....which was not black, much wider than the pen or typing on the originals, and in sloppy handwriting to boot.

The insurance adjuster (I was told in training) did not pay them what they apparently felt that they "deserved".

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Carotte

« Reply #3319 on: January 30, 2013, 07:00:52 PM »
The changes had been made to a black & white copy of the original report (also black & white) in crayon.....which was not black, much wider than the pen or typing on the originals, and in sloppy handwriting to boot.

if it had been a report for school it would have been signed 'my mom'  ::)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3320 on: January 30, 2013, 10:33:06 PM »
Insurance claim - the police report came in with changes made to it to make it look like the driver at fault really hadn't been at fault.  Same thing on the repair bill from the body shop, apparently. 

The insurance adjuster (I was told in training) did not pay them what they apparently felt that they "deserved".

A man didn't like having to report to my Dad because he had a Bachlors and Dad didn't. He pulled a lot of stunts including letting his kids run riot - in a beer distributorship.  Forgot to take the magnetic tape back ups home when it was his responsiblity. (3 copies 1 at work, 1 at the bank, 1 at an employee's house that switched weekly).

Finally he photocopied so documents that Dad and another coworker had signed and changed things so that it looked like they were stealing from the company. He presented it to the owner of the company - who sacked him on the spot. This was before colored printers - Dad NEVER signed documents in black in always blue or red. Owner knew immediately what was up.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

onikenbai

« Reply #3321 on: January 31, 2013, 12:27:53 AM »
I have seen people submit assignments with the placeholder text still in it.

Lorem ipsum...

A friend of mine teaches English at the university level, and she has had several students plagiarize from the textbook.  And not just a line here or there, but whole paragraphs and pages.

I had basically the same thing happen except the student picked the wrong textbook and ended up submitting the assignment in the wrong language.  Seriously, after six years of studying English you still don't know enough English to figure out you're not even plagiarizing the right language?  Further PD (SD?) occurred when the student argued with me that she should get credit for doing the work because I also happened to understand the language she copied by accident and could therefore understand her assignment perfectly well.  I countered with pointing out that by stripping all the accents off of the French and dismissing them as "printing errors" she didn't even get the plagiarizing right and gave her a zero anyway.

blueyzca01

« Reply #3322 on: January 31, 2013, 03:52:12 PM »

Better yet, by "Epstein's Mother"    ;D
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

PeterM

« Reply #3323 on: January 31, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »

Better yet, by "Epstein's Mother"    ;D

"I got a note!"

My favorite Epstein's note bit was from the SNL skit, "Quentin Tarantino's Welcome Back Kotter." Epstein gives Mr. Kotter a note, and he reads it aloud.

"'Dear Mr. Kotter, please allow Epstein and the boys to get medieval on Principal Woodman's (censored.) Signed, Epstein's Mother.'"

Mr. Kotter pauses for a second, then turns to the Principal.

"Well, sir, they do have a note..."

Jocelyn

« Reply #3324 on: January 31, 2013, 09:20:23 PM »
That's why I love Turnitin.com.
I once submitted a student's paper to it...it came back marked as 99% plagiarized. I figure that means that her name, my name, and the date on the paper were original work.
This semester, all papers will be submitted to Turnitin. I won't start grading until I've seen the plagiarism report on the paper. I figure it'll save me the trouble of having to hunt up the original sources of whatever's copied.

asb8

« Reply #3325 on: January 31, 2013, 11:04:43 PM »
I love the concept of Turnitin.com  I hate the teachers that couldn't be bothered to notice that I'd properly quoted and attributed all my souces. Seriously, a paper for a 400 level literature class is going to contain a great deal of properly quoted exerpts from the material.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3326 on: January 31, 2013, 11:40:01 PM »
Does TurnItIn still automatically keep the text from all the papers submitted and add them to its database?  That's the part I have a problem with  :-\  I can definitely see how it would help catch plagiarists, though!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3327 on: February 01, 2013, 12:17:00 AM »
Does TurnItIn still automatically keep the text from all the papers submitted and add them to its database?  That's the part I have a problem with  :-\  I can definitely see how it would help catch plagiarists, though!

Yes it still does keep all of the text from papers submitted. 

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #3328 on: February 01, 2013, 12:21:02 AM »
Mr 16 Years has now stopped talking to the Project Manager (in project meetings! He just sort of chirps out a short answer and then later complains to Boss about Project Manager. :o ). And he's gone back to ignoring the Senior Analyst. I've gotten one more sucking-lemons unavoidable hello out of him.

The only person even remotely related to the project he's still talking to is our senior solutions architect, whom Project Manager has taken to dragging into project meetings just so some sort of discussion will take place. I suspect the second he makes a critical remark, he's also going onto the silent ignore list. Next week I get to try participate in the meetings as well to get some kind of idea of how this solution is going to be designed. <sigh> This is gonna be a fuuuuuuuuuuuun project.  :P
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3329 on: February 01, 2013, 12:49:05 AM »
This guy is still employed why???
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture