News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 12:52:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3708249 times)

blueyzca01

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3315 on: January 31, 2013, 02:52:12 PM »
The changes had been made to a black & white copy of the original report (also black & white) in crayon.....which was not black, much wider than the pen or typing on the originals, and in sloppy handwriting to boot.

if it had been a report for school it would have been signed 'my mom'  ::)

Better yet, by "Epstein's Mother"    ;D
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

PeterM

« Reply #3316 on: January 31, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
if it had been a report for school it would have been signed 'my mom'  ::)

Better yet, by "Epstein's Mother"    ;D

"I got a note!"

My favorite Epstein's note bit was from the SNL skit, "Quentin Tarantino's Welcome Back Kotter." Epstein gives Mr. Kotter a note, and he reads it aloud.

"'Dear Mr. Kotter, please allow Epstein and the boys to get medieval on Principal Woodman's (censored.) Signed, Epstein's Mother.'"

Mr. Kotter pauses for a second, then turns to the Principal.

"Well, sir, they do have a note..."

Jocelyn

« Reply #3317 on: January 31, 2013, 08:20:23 PM »
That's why I love Turnitin.com.
I once submitted a student's paper to it...it came back marked as 99% plagiarized. I figure that means that her name, my name, and the date on the paper were original work.
This semester, all papers will be submitted to Turnitin. I won't start grading until I've seen the plagiarism report on the paper. I figure it'll save me the trouble of having to hunt up the original sources of whatever's copied.

asb8

« Reply #3318 on: January 31, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »
I love the concept of Turnitin.com  I hate the teachers that couldn't be bothered to notice that I'd properly quoted and attributed all my souces. Seriously, a paper for a 400 level literature class is going to contain a great deal of properly quoted exerpts from the material.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3319 on: January 31, 2013, 10:40:01 PM »
Does TurnItIn still automatically keep the text from all the papers submitted and add them to its database?  That's the part I have a problem with  :-\  I can definitely see how it would help catch plagiarists, though!

PastryGoddess

« Reply #3320 on: January 31, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
Does TurnItIn still automatically keep the text from all the papers submitted and add them to its database?  That's the part I have a problem with  :-\  I can definitely see how it would help catch plagiarists, though!

Yes it still does keep all of the text from papers submitted. 

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #3321 on: January 31, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »
Mr 16 Years has now stopped talking to the Project Manager (in project meetings! He just sort of chirps out a short answer and then later complains to Boss about Project Manager. :o ). And he's gone back to ignoring the Senior Analyst. I've gotten one more sucking-lemons unavoidable hello out of him.

The only person even remotely related to the project he's still talking to is our senior solutions architect, whom Project Manager has taken to dragging into project meetings just so some sort of discussion will take place. I suspect the second he makes a critical remark, he's also going onto the silent ignore list. Next week I get to try participate in the meetings as well to get some kind of idea of how this solution is going to be designed. <sigh> This is gonna be a fuuuuuuuuuuuun project.  :P
<3

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3322 on: January 31, 2013, 11:49:05 PM »
This guy is still employed why???
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

WolfWay

« Reply #3323 on: February 01, 2013, 03:24:41 AM »
This guy is still employed why???
Trying to fire someone (for anything other than a criminal act) where I live is a nightmare of HR hoops to jump through. Plus Boss seems reluctant to admit he made a mistake hiring him.
<3

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #3324 on: February 01, 2013, 03:58:56 AM »
The advert that appears directly below wolfways post is for a job seeking site.   It is headlined "find a better boss". Most apt.

WolfWay

« Reply #3325 on: February 01, 2013, 04:14:46 AM »
The advert that appears directly below wolfways post is for a job seeking site.   It is headlined "find a better boss". Most apt.
  ;D
<3

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3326 on: February 01, 2013, 05:48:52 AM »
POD -- They have no ethical ground to stand on if they are stealing student work to add to their database. If students are required to use the service - then they are not giving their permission of their free will. Students work is their intellectual property and deserves the same respect as any other author.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

ClaireC79

« Reply #3327 on: February 01, 2013, 06:22:04 AM »
Also many students will run their own work through it first, to check they haven't accidentally got too close - then if the teacher also does it, well turnitin has seen 100% of this paper before

Dindrane

« Reply #3328 on: February 01, 2013, 08:24:23 AM »
I was once in a literature class in college where a significant portion of the class committed at least a mild form of professional darwinism (student style).

The class covered a variety of works of Shakespeare, so the professor assigned a textbook that contained most of the plays we were going to read (rather than assigning a bunch of individual books). The textbook also included an introduction of sorts for each play, each one written by a different academic in the field. We also had a paper due after we finished studying each play.

About halfway through the semester, right after everyone had turned in a paper for one of the plays, the professor started the class by making a point to remind everyone that it was necessary to properly cite the introductions to the plays as well as the plays themselves, if we used anything from the introduction in our papers. Such a reminder was understandable enough, although it seemed rather oddly pointed.

Until one enterprising student happened to check the by-line of the introduction for the play we'd just written a paper on, and word spread that our professor had in fact authored that particular introduction.

Oops.

Fortunately, the professor seemed to give the class as a whole the benefit of the doubt, and to my knowledge, no actual charges of plagiarism were leveled against any of the students for this particular incident. My guess is that most people, after reading and being influenced by the introduction, used the ideas in their own words without realizing how similar their thoughts were to the introduction. Failing to cite the introduction in that case is, of course, still plagiarism, but at least it's not the intentional variety.

ClaireC79

« Reply #3329 on: February 01, 2013, 09:34:47 AM »
That said when I was in uni our plagarism declaration included a sentence about that we had not submitted any portion of that essay for grading before