News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 15, 2017, 09:50:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3780593 times)

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3390 on: February 06, 2013, 11:00:28 PM »
I seem to recall seeing one of the first episodes of that show, with the owner of a Hooters-style place (not sure whether it was actually Hooters or somewhere else).  The manager of one of the restaurant branches was doing some really inappropriate sexist stuff to the female staff, and the boss had to step out and make some phone calls because he couldn't stand to see what was going on there.  I don't recall whether he fired the guy on the spot or did it discreetly via regional management, but I remember the footage of him being really upset that that kind of blatant harassment was going on.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #3391 on: February 07, 2013, 12:59:57 AM »
I seem to recall seeing one of the first episodes of that show, with the owner of a Hooters-style place (not sure whether it was actually Hooters or somewhere else).  The manager of one of the restaurant branches was doing some really inappropriate sexist stuff to the female staff, and the boss had to step out and make some phone calls because he couldn't stand to see what was going on there.  I don't recall whether he fired the guy on the spot or did it discreetly via regional management, but I remember the footage of him being really upset that that kind of blatant harassment was going on.

He gave him another chance, which infuriates me to no end.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Dr. F.

« Reply #3392 on: February 07, 2013, 07:35:27 AM »
But honestly, I don't know how this show works anymore.  I know I'd be suspicious if someone showed up at my workplace with cameras in tow, talking about filming a documentary about so and so getting back into the work force/changing careers, etc.

I'm with you there.  When the show first came on, I was enthralled, but I simply couldn't understand how it would work for more than one season - two, tops.  After that, it gets kind of obvious that *something* is going on when you get a 'new' employee for only one day, followed by cameras. 
There was one episode when the trainer actually said, 'I feel like I'm on Undercover Boss'.   I don't think it'll last much longer.  You can't feel all of the people all of the time.

Best typo ever. :)

Twik

« Reply #3393 on: February 07, 2013, 10:02:57 AM »
You can't feel all of the people all of the time.

Best typo ever. :)
[/quote]

Yep.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Darcy

« Reply #3394 on: February 07, 2013, 01:24:04 PM »
But honestly, I don't know how this show works anymore.  I know I'd be suspicious if someone showed up at my workplace with cameras in tow, talking about filming a documentary about so and so getting back into the work force/changing careers, etc.

I'm with you there.  When the show first came on, I was enthralled, but I simply couldn't understand how it would work for more than one season - two, tops.  After that, it gets kind of obvious that *something* is going on when you get a 'new' employee for only one day, followed by cameras. 
There was one episode when the trainer actually said, 'I feel like I'm on Undercover Boss'.   I don't think it'll last much longer.  You can't feel all of the people all of the time.

There's a show called Bait Car. It's where officers leave a car in a high-theft area, rigged with trackers and hidden cameras, and wait for the thieves to come to them. Without fail, you get plenty of people scoping out the car, saying aloud "it's probably a bait car", and yet deciding to steal it anyway.

At least their stupidity is entertaining. ;D

alkira6

« Reply #3395 on: February 07, 2013, 01:32:20 PM »
My husband asked me if I would recognize my company's CEO if he did something like this. I said of course I would. He asked how I knew. I told him that it was because our CEO is French and has a very distinct accent.  :P >:D :P

Our CEO is orange.

He spends a LOT of time in his tanning bed that is in his penthouse office.

Our CEO is almost 7 feet tall.

Mixed marriage on the parents part?

MrTango

« Reply #3396 on: February 07, 2013, 01:57:59 PM »
I'd be suspicious that anything on reality tv would show how things are "really done" at a company.

Agreed.  Unless it's on "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe.

esteban

« Reply #3397 on: February 07, 2013, 02:00:40 PM »
My husband asked me if I would recognize my company's CEO if he did something like this. I said of course I would. He asked how I knew. I told him that it was because our CEO is French and has a very distinct accent.  :P >:D :P

Our CEO is orange.

Half Oompa Loompa half giant?
The artist formerly known as deadbody

workerbee

« Reply #3398 on: February 07, 2013, 02:20:20 PM »
I've got one from today's staff meeting. There's some history with this staff member, so maybe I'm judging a little harshly, but I found this just over the top.

Our director was telling us about an upcoming out-of-office event that we were all expected to attend (part of our job is networking with other professionals in our field). Co-worker immediately spoke up and said that she needed that day off b/c it was her daughter's birthday, and "I have to spend the day with my aaaangel!"

Putting aside the reasonableness of taking the day off for that reason (even if I do find it ridiculous), I was just astonished that she would bring it up in front of everyone else!

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #3399 on: February 07, 2013, 03:53:22 PM »
I was talking to a classmate the other night about how her new position at work is going. I don't remember what she does, but she works at a computer company and she recently got promoted to a different shift with better pay and a lot of good opportunities.

She told me that she loves the job - but can't stand the people she now has to be around. Apparently most of them have some attitude/snowflake issues. She described one coworker who spent all his time on his phone doing Facebook during the beginning shift briefing. :o He even interrupted the supervisor giving the briefing to ask how to spell a word (so he wouldn't look stupid I guess - oops too late! >:D).  ::)      >:(
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3400 on: February 07, 2013, 04:41:48 PM »

Our CEO is orange.

Half Oompa Loompa half giant?

"Oompa Loompa doompady do
How's the weather down there for you?"

blueyzca01

« Reply #3401 on: February 07, 2013, 06:25:03 PM »
I finally realized that I have one, but it was purely by accident.  I think.

I have been known to do “thumbs up” when something is good or I’m giving my approval.  I’ve done it with little kids and adults alike.  /BG

I was at a copy machine doing whatever and my boss came up and told me something.  As she turned away to return to her office, I MEANT to do “thumbs up.”  What actually showed up on my hand was “the bird.”  Totally by accident, I swear. 

She turned back and asked, “Did you just flip me off?”  I was so shocked I’d done it, I couldn’t help but reply “Yep! Sorry.” 

She told me that I need to stop using my middle finger so much.  I realize now it was a total Freudian slip.  Because I hated that psycho demon b&%$# from he!!

No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3402 on: February 07, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »

I have been known to do “thumbs up” when something is good or I’m giving my approval.  I’ve done it with little kids and adults alike.  /BG

I was at a copy machine doing whatever and my boss came up and told me something.  As she turned away to return to her office, I MEANT to do “thumbs up.”  What actually showed up on my hand was “the bird.”  Totally by accident, I swear. 

She turned back and asked, “Did you just flip me off?”  I was so shocked I’d done it, I couldn’t help but reply “Yep! Sorry.” 

She told me that I need to stop using my middle finger so much.  I realize now it was a total Freudian slip.  Because I hated that psycho demon b&%$# from he!!
Oops!  Wrong finger!  Sort of like a typographic error only with confused fingers.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

LazyDaisy

« Reply #3403 on: February 07, 2013, 06:52:03 PM »
If I have mentioned this before, I apologize.  I used to work in mental health, and one of my coworkers had just completed her MSW, and was trying to start a counseling practice.

She was showing is all the paperwork she had: lease for an office, her yellow pages ad, business cards, and a male coworker said, "Wow, you are a certified Substance Abuse Counselor?  How long did that take you?"

She looked confused.  "Well, I have my MSW, and that took --."

"No, I mean all the specialized courses, classes, and the practicum that you have to have to be a certified Substance Abuse Counselor."

Well, she wasn't one.  She had her master's in Social Work, and she always wanted to specialize in Substance Abuse, and she thought that was all that was needed.  The male CW had a substantial background in substance abuse, and he explained that the specialty she was claiming was a BIG DEAL.  It was almost the equivalent of listing PhD after your name because you thought it looked cool.

I don't know what she did with the cards.  Those had already been paid for.  Knowing her, she could well have handed them out, reasoning that most people wouldn't know.

I wonder if that may well rise to the level of illegal too -- it's certainly fraud.

Very slightly related, I've had clients in the past ask me to add the registered ® mark to their company name, or logo I just created because it looks more official and they've seen it on other companies. I have to refer them to the US Patent and Trademark Office and let them know that while I can add the trademark symbol ™ or the service mark sm, it is illegal to add the registered mark if in fact it has not been registered (and approved) by the relevant national authority.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Mental Magpie

« Reply #3404 on: February 07, 2013, 07:01:25 PM »

LOL!  I can't believe I haven't done that yet...