News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 19, 2017, 10:36:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3520973 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3465 on: April 09, 2013, 03:23:14 PM »
Our local news often runs a segment about restaurants passing or failing health inspections. One restaurant was immediately shut down this week by the health department for violations, including rat droppings under their fridge  :P The restaurant owner told the news "it's not a big deal, because you wouldn't even know the rat droppings were there unless someone got down on the floor and looked under the fridge...we look forward to reopening very soon." Good luck with that, buddy  :o
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:24:58 PM by TeamBhakta »

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3466 on: April 09, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »
The problem with rat droppings under their fridge is that it means a rat (or several rats) are living there. Probably running on the counters and tables, too, and getting into the leftover food.

Rats doing Swan Lake moves through the soup may be amusing on YouTube, but not when it is my soup! :-X
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Shalamar

« Reply #3467 on: April 09, 2013, 03:59:02 PM »
That reminds me of when my parents' favorite restaurant moved to a new location.  My folks went to have dinner at the new place, and they chatted to the owner while they waited for their food.  The owner said happily "Oh, we love it here.  The old place was so DIRTY.  You wouldn't believe how DIRTY it was."

My poor parents had frozen smiles on their faces, and meanwhile they kept thinking "Oh God, how many times did we eat there?"

They never went back to the new location, even if it was less DIRTY.

Cami

« Reply #3468 on: April 09, 2013, 04:02:01 PM »
Background: We provide services A & B to clients. We have a contract with Vendor to provide A with our clients. <snip> All went well until last week, when clients called and told us that Vendor insisted they pay Vendor for B.  I thought, "No big deal. I'll call them up and straighten it out."

Beginning of big deal:  I called them up and told our rep, "Susie" of the problem. Susie's response, "Well, we checked your website and the way we read it, we should have been charging them for B all along."
Why would Vendor have the right to charge for service B?  They only provide service A as a sub to Your Company.  I assume that Your Company provides service B either directly or through another vendor.

If Your Company is contracted to provide A & B, why don't they bill for both, then pay Vendor for providing service A?  I don't know the specifics of this situation, but usually the prime contractor gets paid by the client and then, in turn, pay their subcontractors after collecting a service or management fee.  When I was a consulting civil engineer, we often contracted with surveyors.  We billed the client for the surveyors' work and added a 10% "management fee" for our effort in coordinating the work.

I wrote the scenario in a very generic way. To explain why our system does not work the way yours does would be to provide too much information. You'll just have to take my word for it that our system works the way it works.

Carotte

« Reply #3469 on: April 09, 2013, 04:03:11 PM »
That reminds me of when my parents' favorite restaurant moved to a new location.  My folks went to have dinner at the new place, and they chatted to the owner while they waited for their food.  The owner said happily "Oh, we love it here.  The old place was so DIRTY.  You wouldn't believe how DIRTY it was."

My poor parents had frozen smiles on their faces, and meanwhile they kept thinking "Oh God, how many times did we eat there?"

Good idea, sounds like the owners never found out they have to actually clean. New place will probably end up the same way after a while.
Maybe he was saying that something made it hard to clean/keep clean, like the layout, neighborhood business not doing their part in pest control... but that was badly said, and still didn't reflect well on the owner.

mmswm

« Reply #3470 on: April 09, 2013, 04:04:02 PM »

It's amazing how a simple turn of a phrase can make all the difference.  In a similar situation, a favorite restaurant of mine moved locations several years ago.  In talking to the manager he was all excited because the new place was so much easier to keep clean.  The old place was so difficult to keep clean, and his staff spent so much time cleaning that it was more difficult to wait on his customers.  Now that his staff didn't have to spend so much time cleaning, the could really focus on providing great service!
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

NyaChan

« Reply #3471 on: April 09, 2013, 04:04:31 PM »
My friend works at a local law firm who was hiring more document readers.  The hiring director came to talk to her about an applicant because he was on Law review as my friend is, but a year behind.  Apparently the student had completely knocked himself out of the running for the position after harassing her with a phone call every half hour for 2 hours until she picked up the phone to tell him to stop calling.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #3472 on: April 09, 2013, 04:29:56 PM »
Forgot one: A small restaurant in my town (not the one above) closed down because the economy hit them really hard. It was run by a mother and daughter team that everyone was fond of. It was absolutely packed every day with construction guys, church groups, county workers and locals. A second restaurant eventually moved into their old space. One of the former waitresses from restaurant #1 was then hired by restaurant #2. Let's call the waitress Ditzy Debbie. Debbie was the only subpar waitress at restaurant #1; all the other ladies were fantastic servers. You had to remind Debbie repeatedly "You didn't bring my beans", "You went to see if there was any desserts left" and "I was waiting for the bill and to go container." And even after those reminders, there was a 90% chance Debbie would go off to fix that problem and forget yet again ::) She wasn't a mean person, just annoyingly scatter brained.

After a few weeks at restaurant #2, Debbie started telling customers "Oh man, every time people come in and see me, they immediately leave. I have to run out to the parking lot to tell them 'Don't worry, this isn't run by Beloved Mom & Daughter anymore, come back in! It's a completely differerent restaurant. Beloved Mom & Daughter aren't involved in this new restaurant'." She did that on a couple different occasions, and everyone in the restaurant heard her loud and clear. I haven't seen Debbie there in several months, although she does shop where I work. I don't miss Debbie too much  >:D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:36:51 AM by TeamBhakta »

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3473 on: April 09, 2013, 06:34:45 PM »
I wrote the scenario in a very generic way. To explain why our system does not work the way yours does would be to provide too much information. You'll just have to take my word for it that our system works the way it works.
I can do that. ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Shalamar

« Reply #3474 on: April 09, 2013, 07:33:06 PM »
Geez, TeamBhakta!  I wonder how long it took before someone couldn't stand it anymore and said "It's not Beloved Mother and Daughter we're trying to avoid, it's YOU!"

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #3475 on: April 10, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »

This reminded me of a story a friend recently told me. A couple she knew bought a restaurant and had been there for a couple of years when their dishwasher went out. The repairman came and fixed it, and also mentioned that the dish soap dispenser was out of soap. Cue the wife asking the husband, "What dish soap? Have you ever bought dish soap?" They checked their receipts and nobody had ever bought dish soap and no employees remembered ever filling the dispenser. There was a half-used bottle in a cupboard--that nobody had ever used. Who knows how long they had been washing dishes without soap. Granted, the water was probably really hot, but who doesn't notice soap isn't being utilized?

TeamBhakta

« Reply #3476 on: April 10, 2013, 10:25:26 AM »

This reminded me of a story a friend recently told me. A couple she knew bought a restaurant and had been there for a couple of years when their dishwasher went out. The repairman came and fixed it, and also mentioned that the dish soap dispenser was out of soap. Cue the wife asking the husband, "What dish soap? Have you ever bought dish soap?" They checked their receipts and nobody had ever bought dish soap and no employees remembered ever filling the dispenser. There was a half-used bottle in a cupboard--that nobody had ever used. Who knows how long they had been washing dishes without soap. Granted, the water was probably really hot, but who doesn't notice soap isn't being utilized?

Reminds me of the time someone at my hs said "I work at (hip new chain restaurant next to a mall). We don't wash our dishes. They just rinse them off and sanitize them. We don't have any dish detergent in there at all." My family stopped eating there, as did several others apparently; it lasted less than a year before closing.

BarensMom

« Reply #3477 on: April 10, 2013, 10:56:10 AM »

Reminds me of the time someone at my hs said "I work at (hip new chain restaurant next to a mall). We don't wash our dishes. They just rinse them off and sanitize them. We don't have any dish detergent in there at all." My family stopped eating there, as did several others apparently; it lasted less than a year before closing.

I have one:  HSalt, Esq. in Richmond.  Every few years they would have a fire and it would be determined that it was caused by built-up grease.  Every time, they would renovate and re-open, then few years later, there would be another fire.  They finally moved to the old KFC location across the street, where the same thing happened a few times.  I think they finally went out of business.

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #3478 on: April 10, 2013, 12:09:33 PM »
I can actually see the dishsoap thing happening.  From what I remember as a young-in the two days I was a dishwasher, you slid the tray of dishes in on one side, and when it was done you slid out the hot tray on the other side.  You never saw the washing.  So lack of suds wouldn't be noticed.  If there isn't any food bits on the dishes and the water was hot enough, I don't see the problem. 
I guess the owners might have probably noticed eventually, but they both probably thought the other person had bought/ loaded soap.

darling

« Reply #3479 on: April 10, 2013, 12:11:35 PM »

I have one:  HSalt, Esq. in Richmond.  Every few years they would have a fire and it would be determined that it was caused by built-up grease.  Every time, they would renovate and re-open, then few years later, there would be another fire.  They finally moved to the old KFC location across the street, where the same thing happened a few times.  I think they finally went out of business.

Funny how they never put two and two together... What the heck is wrong with people...