News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 19, 2017, 11:00:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3523241 times)

alkira6

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3480 on: April 10, 2013, 12:51:06 PM »
I'm laughing at this because we did this with our first dishwasher in our very first apartment. It had a soap dispenser that you loaded with liquid and refilled when the little light came on.  The light was broken.  We went two years before it occured to us to ask "Wait, have you refilled the soap?", "No. I thought you did".

TeamBhakta

« Reply #3481 on: April 10, 2013, 01:00:35 PM »
I can actually see the dishsoap thing happening.  From what I remember as a young-in the two days I was a dishwasher, you slid the tray of dishes in on one side, and when it was done you slid out the hot tray on the other side.  You never saw the washing.  So lack of suds wouldn't be noticed.  If there isn't any food bits on the dishes and the water was hot enough, I don't see the problem. 
I guess the owners might have probably noticed eventually, but they both probably thought the other person had bought/ loaded soap.

This restaurant did not have any dishwashing machines at all, according to my classmate. It was rinse by hand and sanitize by hand. I should've mentioned that in my previous post

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #3482 on: April 10, 2013, 01:05:15 PM »
That reminds me of when my parents' favorite restaurant moved to a new location.  My folks went to have dinner at the new place, and they chatted to the owner while they waited for their food.  The owner said happily "Oh, we love it here.  The old place was so DIRTY.  You wouldn't believe how DIRTY it was."

My poor parents had frozen smiles on their faces, and meanwhile they kept thinking "Oh God, how many times did we eat there?"

They never went back to the new location, even if it was less DIRTY.

This reminded me of a story a friend recently told me. A couple she knew bought a restaurant and had been there for a couple of years when their dishwasher went out. The repairman came and fixed it, and also mentioned that the dish soap dispenser was out of soap. Cue the wife asking the husband, "What dish soap? Have you ever bought dish soap?" They checked their receipts and nobody had ever bought dish soap and no employees remembered ever filling the dispenser. There was a half-used bottle in a cupboard--that nobody had ever used. Who knows how long they had been washing dishes without soap. Granted, the water was probably really hot, but who doesn't notice soap isn't being utilized?

Reminds me of the time someone at my hs said "I work at (hip new chain restaurant next to a mall). We don't wash our dishes. They just rinse them off and sanitize them. We don't have any dish detergent in there at all." My family stopped eating there, as did several others apparently; it lasted less than a year before closing.

I have one:  HSalt, Esq. in Richmond.  Every few years they would have a fire and it would be determined that it was caused by built-up grease.  Every time, they would renovate and re-open, then few years later, there would be another fire.  They finally moved to the old KFC location across the street, where the same thing happened a few times.  I think they finally went out of business.

Maybe they couldn't get insurance anymore :P

LazyDaisy

« Reply #3483 on: April 10, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »
That reminds me of when my parents' favorite restaurant moved to a new location.  My folks went to have dinner at the new place, and they chatted to the owner while they waited for their food.  The owner said happily "Oh, we love it here.  The old place was so DIRTY.  You wouldn't believe how DIRTY it was."

My poor parents had frozen smiles on their faces, and meanwhile they kept thinking "Oh God, how many times did we eat there?"

They never went back to the new location, even if it was less DIRTY.

This reminded me of a story a friend recently told me. A couple she knew bought a restaurant and had been there for a couple of years when their dishwasher went out. The repairman came and fixed it, and also mentioned that the dish soap dispenser was out of soap. Cue the wife asking the husband, "What dish soap? Have you ever bought dish soap?" They checked their receipts and nobody had ever bought dish soap and no employees remembered ever filling the dispenser. There was a half-used bottle in a cupboard--that nobody had ever used. Who knows how long they had been washing dishes without soap. Granted, the water was probably really hot, but who doesn't notice soap isn't being utilized?

Reminds me of the time someone at my hs said "I work at (hip new chain restaurant next to a mall). We don't wash our dishes. They just rinse them off and sanitize them. We don't have any dish detergent in there at all." My family stopped eating there, as did several others apparently; it lasted less than a year before closing.

Perhaps the high school student was confused. That to me is what washing dishes means. Rinse off the food and then sanitize the dish using either a chemical such as detergent or diluted bleach, or hot water above the boiling point. Any of those methods washes the dish. Just because there aren't any bubbles in the water doesn't mean the dishes aren't being cleaned. And having bubbles isn't a good indication that the dish is clean either.

When I worked at the college cafeteria, after scraping the food, we ran our dishes through a giant conveyer belt dish washer that was the length of an SUV. The water was heated to a minimum of 180 degrees F. Which was so hot that standing on the output end and trying to grab the dishes off the belt could cause second degree burns without proper gloves. There were no soap suds ever on the dishes, but they were extremely clean.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

GSNW

« Reply #3484 on: April 10, 2013, 03:22:33 PM »
More fun from SS teacher.

He received a list of directives from admin (basically a list of "you may not...") and read it to all of his classes.  This included assignments promoting alcohol use (discussed previously) AND telling his students that they must sign up for Twitter accounts and follow him in order to "discuss assignments" on the internet outside of school hours.  This actually isn't a bad idea, but we have a secure kid-friendly program for that sort of thing that has been approved by the district, controlled by the teacher that uses it, etc.

He was told not to bring his javelins to school to throw on the field after hours any more (there are kids hanging out there) so he brought his shot-put instead.  After his workouts, he has twice showered in the open area of the locker room until he was directed to stop, or use the private stall that has a curtain. 

Perhaps most shamefully, admin decided he would not be allowed to administer our standardized state tests.  There was an allegation from another round of testing (which are used in part to judge effectiveness) that the answers were either flat-out given or strongly hinted at.  Another teacher has been pulled to administer the testing. 

The weird thing is that our admin is very tight-lipped about discipline issues, as they should be.  The only reason people know this stuff (regarding directives and not giving tests) is because he tells EVERYONE.  It's almost like he is proud that he's "fighting the man."  There seems to be no shame or self-reflection here.  It's amazing.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3485 on: April 10, 2013, 03:34:01 PM »
If he doesn't want to be employed, I am sure another, better teacher can be found to replace him.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

GSNW

« Reply #3486 on: April 10, 2013, 06:19:28 PM »
It is notoriously hard to be fired by our district.  You pretty much have to punch a kid or play scrabble with a kid ... and even then.  Word is that he's off to another school next year, this is known in our district as "the dance of the lemons."

Nemesis

« Reply #3487 on: April 13, 2013, 11:46:39 AM »
Finally finished reding all 234 pages of this thread! Took me just under a week to finish this!

I have a story to share about my ex-student who became an ex-colleague.

Marianne was previously a student who spent a couple of years continuously failing all her exams. After her third appearance with the academic intervention panel, she was excluded from the program.

She went to another university, did a different course, and graduated. Then she applied for a job as an admin staff with our program. So far so good.

Now because Marianne was previously a student in this program, she is friends with many of our students, though most of them had graduated by then. However due to certain circumstances, some of her ex-classmates were still studying in the program.

Marianne, being now an admin staff, had access to student records which was given so that she could enter data of new students. She used her access to look at her friends' records. If that were not bad enough, she started talking to other ex-classmates, gossiping about how "Johnny was always boasting about getting highest grades, but actually he was just barely passing..can you believe that????" Or how "Max told everyone he graduated but he is actually still enrolled as a student!" Or "Wow, Jane failed Advanced XYZ Class three times!".

If that wasn't brazen enough, some of these discussions took place on Facebook. Where she had also friended me, several other academic and admin staff as well as her direct supervisor.

Until today, she still claims that she was let go off because her direct supervisor was jealous of her popularity.  ::) ::) ::)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3488 on: April 13, 2013, 02:22:16 PM »
Wow, I work in education and can't imagine doing such a thing! I hope she finds another profession.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

DollyPond

« Reply #3489 on: April 13, 2013, 08:30:43 PM »
This one is Professional Darwinism just waiting to happen....

There has been a big reorganization of our department - 3 smaller departments have merged into one.  The Big Boss had a meeting with all 3 leadership teams about a week ago.  One leadership member from one of the other departments was recently demoted (why not fired I'll never know) for gross incompetence.  At the meeting with Big Boss he asked if she felt challenged in her job.   Her response was that no she didn't feel challenged and was pretty bored by it all.

I'm thinking that Big Boss will be more than happy to help her find a more challenging position.......elsewhere.

Time to make popcorn.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #3490 on: April 13, 2013, 08:41:17 PM »

There has been a big reorganization of our department - 3 smaller departments have merged into one.  The Big Boss had a meeting with all 3 leadership teams about a week ago.  One leadership member from one of the other departments was recently demoted (why not fired I'll never know) for gross incompetence.  At the meeting with Big Boss he asked if she felt challenged in her job.   Her response was that no she didn't feel challenged and was pretty bored by it all.

I'm thinking that Big Boss will be more than happy to help her find a more challenging position.......elsewhere.

Time to make popcorn.

Would you like some butter with that?

mmswm

« Reply #3491 on: April 13, 2013, 09:01:03 PM »

Time to make popcorn.

Would you like some butter with that?

*Grabs a couple beers, a bottle of wine, some soda and the appropriate glasses*

Anybody need a refreshing beverage for the show?
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3492 on: April 13, 2013, 09:14:16 PM »
This happened when I was a kid.
Dad worked for a Pearl distributorship (a type of beer).
It was purchased by a man that handled Miller. He intended to run them seperately but side by side. The man who was Dad's equivalent in the Miller distributorship did not want to have to work with Dad. Dad had come up through the ranks and did not have a Bachelors. But the owner had intended to run the two distributorships parallel.

Then Miller changed the rules. They had just hit as the most popular beer in Texas. They decided you couldn't handle a different beer (rules have changed back since). Boss planned on merging the 2 groups so no-one would lose their job[size=78%].*[/size]

Dad's equivalent had a fit, no way Dad could do the job without a Bachelors. He put his foot down and said he refused to work with Dad. Want to guess who got fired and who ended up the President of the company?

Later there was a man who was Dad's junior that had a similar attitude. His wife was mean to Mom. Boss didn't like that. Then Dad's junior sped up the process by trying to frame Dad and another employee for embezzlement  Guess who got to go to jail. (Dad's signatures were copies - thing is Dad NEVER signed any legal document in black ink - always blue. He mentored the other employee who had the same habit. Boss knew straight way the documents were forged.

*Boss had very high ethics and stood by his employees - for example every employee warehouse to him and his wife had the same insurance - covered 100% of everything. My parents never paid a deductible - with  kids like me and my sister both frequent fliers to the ER (peanuts reactions for me - being pushed out of trees by her best friend, dragged down the street by a dog, running into mailboxes for sis) it was a godsend.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

lilfox

« Reply #3493 on: April 15, 2013, 12:19:17 PM »
This PD candidate is still a student, but the story is about some actual work he was asked to do:

My cousin runs a small law firm with just one other partner and a paralegal.  The two partners decided they would offer an internship to local 2nd or 3rd law students.  The winning applicant was tasked with two items his first week:  mail some documents to another state by X deadline, and compile research on one minor point of law by Y deadline.

The intern not only failed to mail the docs until 2 days after that deadline, but the docs were immediately returned due to lack of postage.  They had an office postage meter, the intern just never thought to use it.  The intern did not understand the big deal, even after my cousin explained he would now have to overnight the docs at much higher cost as well as ask the judge for a continuance, which would probably not be granted.

As for the research, the intern put together a 28 page brief, which on inspection contained 20 pages copied straight out of the partner's memo on the larger subject (not cited).  It was also two days late.

At his dismissal later that same first week, my cousin told him straight out that with his attitude and (lack of) skill set, he was unlikely to get hired unless he made some serious improvements (there is a serious glut of current law students and recent graduates, the job market is already brutal).  The intern then tried to offered cousin some "constructive criticism" about his firm but cousin couldn't stop laughing long enough to hear him out.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3494 on: April 16, 2013, 02:52:16 PM »
My office is a very small part of a large university. We have satellite campuses around our area, and some of the offices at those campuses are very small, with only one or two full time staff.

One of the employees at my office (S) used to work at one of those small offices. As S says herself, it was a one woman show. She did everything, even things that are beyond the scope of her position. S has demonstrated that she still wants to do many things, such as answering questions, even when she: a, does not have access to the information required; and b, does not have the answers the student is seeking. I was in my office all day yesterday, except for one hour for lunch. S came and asked me to verify that she gave the correct information to the student that called about something that I or my boss would usually handle. Turns out that S gave the entirely wrong answer, and has been wrong about that very important piece of information since she began working at the university. When I gently corrected her about VIP information, she didn't believe me. Turns out that I was here during that conversation, but S was bored and wanted to talk to the student.  ::)

While it is not intentional misinformation, I believe that S committed PD in not checking her facts, taking a message or transferring the call to the pertinent staff member, me.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien