Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1376336 times)

mmswm

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3480 on: April 09, 2013, 05:04:02 PM »
That reminds me of when my parents' favorite restaurant moved to a new location.  My folks went to have dinner at the new place, and they chatted to the owner while they waited for their food.  The owner said happily "Oh, we love it here.  The old place was so DIRTY.  You wouldn't believe how DIRTY it was."

My poor parents had frozen smiles on their faces, and meanwhile they kept thinking "Oh God, how many times did we eat there?"

They never went back to the new location, even if it was less DIRTY.

It's amazing how a simple turn of a phrase can make all the difference.  In a similar situation, a favorite restaurant of mine moved locations several years ago.  In talking to the manager he was all excited because the new place was so much easier to keep clean.  The old place was so difficult to keep clean, and his staff spent so much time cleaning that it was more difficult to wait on his customers.  Now that his staff didn't have to spend so much time cleaning, the could really focus on providing great service!
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

NyaChan

« Reply #3481 on: April 09, 2013, 05:04:31 PM »
My friend works at a local law firm who was hiring more document readers.  The hiring director came to talk to her about an applicant because he was on Law review as my friend is, but a year behind.  Apparently the student had completely knocked himself out of the running for the position after harassing her with a phone call every half hour for 2 hours until she picked up the phone to tell him to stop calling.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #3482 on: April 09, 2013, 05:29:56 PM »
Forgot one: A small restaurant in my town (not the one above) closed down because the economy hit them really hard. It was run by a mother and daughter team that everyone was fond of. It was absolutely packed every day with construction guys, church groups, county workers and locals. A second restaurant eventually moved into their old space. One of the former waitresses from restaurant #1 was then hired by restaurant #2. Let's call the waitress Ditzy Debbie. Debbie was the only subpar waitress at restaurant #1; all the other ladies were fantastic servers. You had to remind Debbie repeatedly "You didn't bring my beans", "You went to see if there was any desserts left" and "I was waiting for the bill and to go container." And even after those reminders, there was a 90% chance Debbie would go off to fix that problem and forget yet again ::) She wasn't a mean person, just annoyingly scatter brained.

After a few weeks at restaurant #2, Debbie started telling customers "Oh man, every time people come in and see me, they immediately leave. I have to run out to the parking lot to tell them 'Don't worry, this isn't run by Beloved Mom & Daughter anymore, come back in! It's a completely differerent restaurant. Beloved Mom & Daughter aren't involved in this new restaurant'." She did that on a couple different occasions, and everyone in the restaurant heard her loud and clear. I haven't seen Debbie there in several months, although she does shop where I work. I don't miss Debbie too much  >:D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:36:51 AM by TeamBhakta »

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3483 on: April 09, 2013, 07:34:45 PM »
I wrote the scenario in a very generic way. To explain why our system does not work the way yours does would be to provide too much information. You'll just have to take my word for it that our system works the way it works.
I can do that. ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Shalamar

« Reply #3484 on: April 09, 2013, 08:33:06 PM »
Geez, TeamBhakta!  I wonder how long it took before someone couldn't stand it anymore and said "It's not Beloved Mother and Daughter we're trying to avoid, it's YOU!"

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #3485 on: April 10, 2013, 10:43:07 AM »
That reminds me of when my parents' favorite restaurant moved to a new location.  My folks went to have dinner at the new place, and they chatted to the owner while they waited for their food.  The owner said happily "Oh, we love it here.  The old place was so DIRTY.  You wouldn't believe how DIRTY it was."

My poor parents had frozen smiles on their faces, and meanwhile they kept thinking "Oh God, how many times did we eat there?"

This reminded me of a story a friend recently told me. A couple she knew bought a restaurant and had been there for a couple of years when their dishwasher went out. The repairman came and fixed it, and also mentioned that the dish soap dispenser was out of soap. Cue the wife asking the husband, "What dish soap? Have you ever bought dish soap?" They checked their receipts and nobody had ever bought dish soap and no employees remembered ever filling the dispenser. There was a half-used bottle in a cupboard--that nobody had ever used. Who knows how long they had been washing dishes without soap. Granted, the water was probably really hot, but who doesn't notice soap isn't being utilized?
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #3486 on: April 10, 2013, 11:25:26 AM »

This reminded me of a story a friend recently told me. A couple she knew bought a restaurant and had been there for a couple of years when their dishwasher went out. The repairman came and fixed it, and also mentioned that the dish soap dispenser was out of soap. Cue the wife asking the husband, "What dish soap? Have you ever bought dish soap?" They checked their receipts and nobody had ever bought dish soap and no employees remembered ever filling the dispenser. There was a half-used bottle in a cupboard--that nobody had ever used. Who knows how long they had been washing dishes without soap. Granted, the water was probably really hot, but who doesn't notice soap isn't being utilized?

Reminds me of the time someone at my hs said "I work at (hip new chain restaurant next to a mall). We don't wash our dishes. They just rinse them off and sanitize them. We don't have any dish detergent in there at all." My family stopped eating there, as did several others apparently; it lasted less than a year before closing.

BarensMom

« Reply #3487 on: April 10, 2013, 11:56:10 AM »

Reminds me of the time someone at my hs said "I work at (hip new chain restaurant next to a mall). We don't wash our dishes. They just rinse them off and sanitize them. We don't have any dish detergent in there at all." My family stopped eating there, as did several others apparently; it lasted less than a year before closing.

I have one:  HSalt, Esq. in Richmond.  Every few years they would have a fire and it would be determined that it was caused by built-up grease.  Every time, they would renovate and re-open, then few years later, there would be another fire.  They finally moved to the old KFC location across the street, where the same thing happened a few times.  I think they finally went out of business.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #3488 on: April 10, 2013, 01:09:33 PM »
I can actually see the dishsoap thing happening.  From what I remember as a young-in the two days I was a dishwasher, you slid the tray of dishes in on one side, and when it was done you slid out the hot tray on the other side.  You never saw the washing.  So lack of suds wouldn't be noticed.  If there isn't any food bits on the dishes and the water was hot enough, I don't see the problem. 
I guess the owners might have probably noticed eventually, but they both probably thought the other person had bought/ loaded soap.

darling

« Reply #3489 on: April 10, 2013, 01:11:35 PM »

I have one:  HSalt, Esq. in Richmond.  Every few years they would have a fire and it would be determined that it was caused by built-up grease.  Every time, they would renovate and re-open, then few years later, there would be another fire.  They finally moved to the old KFC location across the street, where the same thing happened a few times.  I think they finally went out of business.

Funny how they never put two and two together... What the heck is wrong with people...

alkira6

« Reply #3490 on: April 10, 2013, 01:51:06 PM »
I'm laughing at this because we did this with our first dishwasher in our very first apartment. It had a soap dispenser that you loaded with liquid and refilled when the little light came on.  The light was broken.  We went two years before it occured to us to ask "Wait, have you refilled the soap?", "No. I thought you did".

TeamBhakta

« Reply #3491 on: April 10, 2013, 02:00:35 PM »
I can actually see the dishsoap thing happening.  From what I remember as a young-in the two days I was a dishwasher, you slid the tray of dishes in on one side, and when it was done you slid out the hot tray on the other side.  You never saw the washing.  So lack of suds wouldn't be noticed.  If there isn't any food bits on the dishes and the water was hot enough, I don't see the problem. 
I guess the owners might have probably noticed eventually, but they both probably thought the other person had bought/ loaded soap.

This restaurant did not have any dishwashing machines at all, according to my classmate. It was rinse by hand and sanitize by hand. I should've mentioned that in my previous post

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #3492 on: April 10, 2013, 02:05:15 PM »

Maybe they couldn't get insurance anymore :P
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

LazyDaisy

« Reply #3493 on: April 10, 2013, 02:07:51 PM »

Perhaps the high school student was confused. That to me is what washing dishes means. Rinse off the food and then sanitize the dish using either a chemical such as detergent or diluted bleach, or hot water above the boiling point. Any of those methods washes the dish. Just because there aren't any bubbles in the water doesn't mean the dishes aren't being cleaned. And having bubbles isn't a good indication that the dish is clean either.

When I worked at the college cafeteria, after scraping the food, we ran our dishes through a giant conveyer belt dish washer that was the length of an SUV. The water was heated to a minimum of 180 degrees F. Which was so hot that standing on the output end and trying to grab the dishes off the belt could cause second degree burns without proper gloves. There were no soap suds ever on the dishes, but they were extremely clean.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

GSNW

« Reply #3494 on: April 10, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »
More fun from SS teacher.

He received a list of directives from admin (basically a list of "you may not...") and read it to all of his classes.  This included assignments promoting alcohol use (discussed previously) AND telling his students that they must sign up for Twitter accounts and follow him in order to "discuss assignments" on the internet outside of school hours.  This actually isn't a bad idea, but we have a secure kid-friendly program for that sort of thing that has been approved by the district, controlled by the teacher that uses it, etc.

He was told not to bring his javelins to school to throw on the field after hours any more (there are kids hanging out there) so he brought his shot-put instead.  After his workouts, he has twice showered in the open area of the locker room until he was directed to stop, or use the private stall that has a curtain. 

Perhaps most shamefully, admin decided he would not be allowed to administer our standardized state tests.  There was an allegation from another round of testing (which are used in part to judge effectiveness) that the answers were either flat-out given or strongly hinted at.  Another teacher has been pulled to administer the testing. 

The weird thing is that our admin is very tight-lipped about discipline issues, as they should be.  The only reason people know this stuff (regarding directives and not giving tests) is because he tells EVERYONE.  It's almost like he is proud that he's "fighting the man."  There seems to be no shame or self-reflection here.  It's amazing.