News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 21, 2017, 11:41:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3618845 times)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3555 on: May 08, 2013, 11:15:59 PM »
Maybe regular Darwinism, not just PD? This picture was taken outside my office today. OSHA has been emailed a copy with date and address. Will let you know if any updates are noticed.

The shirtless man in the jeans is bad enough, he's standing on a fork without using the cage that is designed to lift people in the air on a forklift, but at least he isn't hyper-extended and off balance.  The real winner is the one in the red hat who is standing on the lower metal beam edge, leaning forward and hyper-extended  and inside the space between the two forks to boot.  Both of these people would have been fired from most of the companies I've worked for.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #3556 on: May 09, 2013, 03:19:50 AM »
A couple of minor updates to http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=74341.msg2937487#msg29374878)

#1:
Our lovely supervisor prepares each job for us, setting it out in a particular way so that we know which way around to put things together. New Coworker picked up a new job, decided - on no evidence whatsoever - that it had been set out wrong, turned things around, and got about half way through putting it together inside-out before anyone else noticed.

#2:
There's a tag attached to every job we do, with information on who the job is for and details of how it is to be done. EVERYTHING we need to know about how to put it together is ON THE TAG. Task number 1 for every job is READ THE TAG. The first line of the detailed instructions New Coworker has been persistently not reading (and has been reminded, again and again, that she should be reading) is "READ THE TAG".

New Coworker got a job that used materials that would normally have Process A performed on them, but was a bit unusual and in fact required Process B to be used. This was noted on the tag. She did not read the tag and started off blithely with Process A. Our supervisor had to charge across the room yelping "NO NO NO NO NO STOP!" to get to her before she'd totally burked the whole thing up. ::)

This week hasn't been the rolling storm of PD I got to watch last week, but there's still time for her to get a doozy or two in tomorrow. :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Jones

« Reply #3557 on: May 09, 2013, 07:06:56 AM »
For those of us who have pictures blocked on our work computers, could you please describe what this big blank spot is supposed to be?

Thanks.

The shirtless man in the jeans is bad enough, he's standing on a fork without using the cage that is designed to lift people in the air on a forklift, but at least he isn't hyper-extended and off balance.  The real winner is the one in the red hat who is standing on the lower metal beam edge, leaning forward and hyper-extended  and inside the space between the two forks to boot.  Both of these people would have been fired from most of the companies I've worked for.

Exactly what Zyrs described :)
Also, neither employee is wearing PPE--hard hats, gloves, tie-off harnesses. Most construction crews require FRC clothing as well, because welding often happens while others are on-site, yet at least one employee was shirtless. They are working 8-10 feet off the ground without a cage or tie off on potentially wet surfaces. You can't quite tell from the picture, but the sky is stormy and we did have lightning going off in the distance; I wouldn't be touching metal at the moment, nor standing at height on something that's probably wet from the earlier, very recent showers.

A few years ago a man in my town was killed when he fell 5 feet from a fork truck, at a bad angle. Generally people crack down on that now.
“A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems.” CS Lewis

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #3558 on: May 09, 2013, 07:20:14 AM »
A shirtless man standing on the scoop of a piece of construction equipment, maybe 10-15 feet in the air, doing something to a framework, while someone else stretches upwards while standing on a beam close by.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

MrTango

« Reply #3559 on: May 09, 2013, 07:23:38 AM »
New Coworker got a job that used materials that would normally have Process A performed on them, but was a bit unusual and in fact required Process B to be used. This was noted on the tag. She did not read the tag and started off blithely with Process A. Our supervisor had to charge across the room yelping "NO NO NO NO NO STOP!" to get to her before she'd totally burked the whole thing up. ::)

I know disciplining an employee is something that's supposed to be done in private, but as the supervisor, I'd make an example of this employee.  I'd make her stand there and explain to me why she was doing what she was doing in front of everyone who happened to be there.  Then I'd send her to HR to collect her final paycheck.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #3560 on: May 09, 2013, 09:50:13 AM »
Maybe regular Darwinism, not just PD? This picture was taken outside my office today. OSHA has been emailed a copy with date and address. Will let you know if any updates are noticed.

EEEKK!!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #3561 on: May 10, 2013, 01:32:49 AM »
Two of my coworkers appear to be heading for PD.  They are deliberately not doing part of their job, to the point where they told me as a new employee that they were intentionally not doing it because they expected that some of the other employees would pick up the slack, and as a result, they are not retaining some of the skills they need to do other parts of their job properly.  They tend to end up floundering when they have to do some of the more complicated tasks.  Not to mention, the burden of actually completing that part of the job has ended up falling on myself and another employee.  We're currently trying to work out how best to approach this to management, since the two of us that are doing all the work are two of the newest employees and the two who are slacking are two of the more senior employees.  I'm probably going to spend part of my lunch break making pie charts one day soon.  One of the two PD employees also frequently chooses to take her afternoon break at the worst possible time, causing our staffing level to drop below the minimum needed for the fifteen-twenty minutes she's usually gone.  These two employees are also almost always the last ones in the door in the morning.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3562 on: May 10, 2013, 02:42:42 AM »
Two of my coworkers appear to be heading for PD.  They are deliberately not doing part of their job, to the point where they told me as a new employee that they were intentionally not doing it because they expected that some of the other employees would pick up the slack, and as a result, they are not retaining some of the skills they need to do other parts of their job properly.  They tend to end up floundering when they have to do some of the more complicated tasks.  Not to mention, the burden of actually completing that part of the job has ended up falling on myself and another employee.  We're currently trying to work out how best to approach this to management, since the two of us that are doing all the work are two of the newest employees and the two who are slacking are two of the more senior employees.  I'm probably going to spend part of my lunch break making pie charts one day soon.  One of the two PD employees also frequently chooses to take her afternoon break at the worst possible time, causing our staffing level to drop below the minimum needed for the fifteen-twenty minutes she's usually gone.  These two employees are also almost always the last ones in the door in the morning.

I don't suppose it would be advisable to slip up slightly on the work they should be doing.  Just enough to make the higher-ups notice.  They get confronted, and either they're incompetent or they're slacking.

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #3563 on: May 10, 2013, 03:45:41 AM »
Two of my coworkers appear to be heading for PD.  They are deliberately not doing part of their job, to the point where they told me as a new employee that they were intentionally not doing it because they expected that some of the other employees would pick up the slack, ((snip))

I don't suppose it would be advisable to slip up slightly on the work they should be doing.  Just enough to make the higher-ups notice.  They get confronted, and either they're incompetent or they're slacking.

My suggestion: wait until they're out on break, then go ask a supervisor an 'innocent' question about the job. See, Slacker A and Slacker B passed this job to you and you're not quite sure about this detail, but they're not around to ask right now...  :-*
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #3564 on: May 10, 2013, 04:03:36 AM »

I know disciplining an employee is something that's supposed to be done in private, but as the supervisor, I'd make an example of this employee.  I'd make her stand there and explain to me why she was doing what she was doing in front of everyone who happened to be there.  Then I'd send her to HR to collect her final paycheck.

Our supervisor is a very nice woman. She corrects and points out mistakes as soon as they're found, but she does it politely, and I guess New Coworker doesn't get that she's serious. Methinks she needs to have a sit-down "this-will-get-you-fired-if-you-don't-straighten-out" talk with New Coworker. Soon. ::)

Today's update!

1) New Coworker continues to not follow instructions, do things in the wrong order, and 'fix' things that don't need to be fixed. Every time she gets corrected on something, her 'excuse' is either "That's how I've always done it" (well it's not how you're meant to do it NOW) or "Oh, I'm too lazy to do it that way". :o NOT a good thing to say to your BOSS.

2) Today, New Coworker removed a small and apparently insignificant item from her machine and put it in a random location. This small and apparently insignificant item is actually necessary; without it, her machine will misbehave. I found it, and asked our supervisor what it was (luckily, since I had no idea and my first impulse was to throw it away - my machine is newer and uses something different for the same purpose). Supervisor went *blink*blink*, checked New Coworker's machine, and discovered that not only was it indeed her small-insignificant-part, she'd put some other items in an unapproved location where they were likely to interfere with the machine's proper operation. (Sorry for the vagueness there, but I'm a tad paranoid about identifying details! :P)

When New Coworker returned from lunch, Supervisor pointed out the small-insignificant-part and the things-in-bad-location. New Coworker's response? "Oh, I didn't do that. I wouldn't put those there. It wasn't me."

Nobody else uses that machine. Nobody else touches that machine. Apparently we have workroom fairies moving things. ::) Supervisor is now getting kinda ticked off!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #3565 on: May 10, 2013, 08:29:34 AM »
Two of my coworkers appear to be heading for PD.  They are deliberately not doing part of their job, to the point where they told me as a new employee that they were intentionally not doing it because they expected that some of the other employees would pick up the slack, ((snip))
My suggestion: wait until they're out on break, then go ask a supervisor an 'innocent' question about the job. See, Slacker A and Slacker B passed this job to you and you're not quite sure about this detail, but they're not around to ask right now...  :-*

I think this would work.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Mental Magpie

« Reply #3566 on: May 10, 2013, 04:16:41 PM »

I think this would work.

I agree.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #3567 on: May 11, 2013, 12:09:25 AM »
Update to my story above:

Today, our management took some notice of the problem.  Heads did not roll, but there was a meeting in which those of us doing all the work got praised for it and the ones not pulling their weight got smacked down, especially when they tried to defend themselves with circular logic - basically, "the good employees are doing all the work, so there is none left for us to do, so we shouldn't have to try and do any of it."  The boss was having none of that.  Then the worst offender had the audacity after he left to start lecturing at all of us to the tune of "no one should be tattling" and I ended up having to cut her off with the idea that, in fact, bringing up workflow problems to the management was professional, and trying to act like we're children on a playground who should be dealing with our own squabbles was the opposite.  Come to find out, no one had actually brought it to management attention - either he had been reading the not-really private chat exchanges I had with the other coworker doing all the work, or the supervisor overhead the squabbling that occurred this morning when we tried to get the slackers to do part of their job and brought it to the manager's attention.

Oh - and the kicker - the worst offender, the one who lectured the rest of us, took two hours for lunch break today without clearing it with management ahead of time or even calling to say that she was delayed returning.  The supervisor had to call her to find out where she was.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3568 on: May 11, 2013, 12:46:27 AM »

Oh - and the kicker - the worst offender, the one who lectured the rest of us, took two hours for lunch break today without clearing it with management ahead of time or even calling to say that she was delayed returning.  The supervisor had to call her to find out where she was.

Ooh, ouch. That's NEVER a good thing.  ???

She's really going for the gold in that smackdown contest, isn't she?
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Carotte

« Reply #3569 on: May 11, 2013, 08:00:50 AM »
Update to my story above:

Do you think she's so delusional that she thinks she's in the 'good workers' group? So that she thinks she's in a period of grace ('well, I've just been praised on my work ethic, surely I can take a break, they'll be focusing on the bad workers')?