News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 23, 2017, 01:02:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3623525 times)

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3570 on: May 11, 2013, 12:05:16 PM »
Update to my story above:
Oh - and the kicker - the worst offender, the one who lectured the rest of us, took two hours for lunch break today without clearing it with management ahead of time or even calling to say that she was delayed returning.  The supervisor had to call her to find out where she was.

Do you think she's so delusional that she thinks she's in the 'good workers' group? So that she thinks she's in a period of grace ('well, I've just been praised on my work ethic, surely I can take a break, they'll be focusing on the bad workers')?

Oh, no, the manager ended up having to be very clear when it became obvious that the two not-so-good workers were going to not quite get it.  She knew that she was not in the 'good workers' group.  The lunch break thing was prior to the talk.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3571 on: May 12, 2013, 11:44:12 AM »
I thought for sure I had posted this, but it appears I hadn't. It's long, but the end  is a definitely PD.

About 20 years ago, I took an adventure travel trip to Mali, in West Africa. (There have been major social & political changes there since my trip.)  It was with an American tour company that provided a Tour Leader (TL) who was fluent in French, the official language. He had lived & traveled extensively in Mali and was familiar with laws & customs. He also had some very heavy-duty political connections.

The American company contracted with a local tour company for logistics. They provided transport, camping equipment, and a crew. They also provided a fabulous local guide (LG) who spoke English, French, and Bambara, the most common local language. The crew members mainly spoke French and other local languages.

There were about 15 of us clients on the trip, all American and all very experienced with this kind of travel in developing countries.

We had been camping in the bush for a week and were on our way to a large city for a welcome hotel stay. We stopped in a small town to buy gas & stretch our legs. Suddenly there was trouble. A public spirited local citizen had informed a local police officer that one of our group had photographed the police station, something that was illegal and taken very seriously. It was a false charge. LG took over the discussion and the rest of us, including TL, retreated to the bus. TL explained that it was better to have a Malian do the talking.

They went round & round for some time, then LG came on the bus and said that the police officer wanted the film from the supposed photographer (pre-dgital age), so it could be developed to prove we were guilty. The "photographer" was upset--she was afraid of losing some important photos. I had just put a new roll of film in my camera, so TL came up with a plan. The "photographer" took my camera out and dramatically ripped out the film, exposing it to the sun so there was no way of knowing that it was blank.

At that point, the police officer declared that he was taking us all to see his district commandant, who was based in the same big city we were headed for. He and the informant boarded the bus and off we went. We took out cue from TL and stayed quiet & subdued.

It was a two-hour drive and we arrived after dark. We stopped at a police station and the officer got off. He returned to say that the commandant wasn't there & we had to go to another station. When he got off there, TL tuned to us and said "I'm being quiet, because I have to deal with these people again. You don't. It's time for you to get angry." He suggested that we demand the US Ambassador because the law said we had to see him (there was no such law.)

So, when the officer reboarded the bus, we exploded. We said it was an outrage. We demanded the Ambassador. One person demanded that everything be translated, which disconcerted the officer. Someone remembered that I'd complained of heartburn earlier in the day, so he pointed to me and said "This lady is sick, She needs to go to the hotel and lie down." I immediately clutched my stomach and began moaning.

It took a couple more stops to find the commandant, while the riot on the bus continued. Nothing physical, no threats or personal attacks (i.e. we didn't call the officer names or scream obscenities at him), but we were very loud and very angry. Except for me. I was irritatingly whine-y about my "illness."

It turned out the commandant was home having dinner, so that's where we went. The officer, the informant, LG, most of us & a couple of crew went inside. Negotiations went on for some time, in several languages. The upshot was that the "photographer" agreed to sign a statement that she wouldn't sell photos of Malian police to American newspapers. And off we went to the hotel. The officer & the informant stayed behind.

Now the PD part. When we gathered in the hotel bar later on, LG told us the Rest of the Story, some of which he'd gotten from a crew member who knew the local dialect. The public spirited citizen was either mistaken or, more likely, made it up, as an opportunity to ingratiate himself with the local police. The police officer, in turn, decided that this would be a perfect chance to impress his regional commandant with his diligence and refusal to be intimidated by rich Americans. Which he did by interrupting the commandant's dinner table with a busload of irate American tourists demanding their Ambassador. Oh yes, he made an impression on the commandant, all right.

The commandant invited the officer to remain for a "chat." TL told us that had we been guilty, we would have been ordered to pay bus fare home for the officer and the informant. As it was, after the "chat," they would be out on the highway, trying to hitch a ride home.

Unbeknownst to the officer, things were going to get much worse. Remember I said that TL was very well connected? One of the connections was Extremely Influential Elder Statesman. And the local tour company? It was owned by Elder Statesman's brother, who was furious about what had happened, and told LG that a few phone calls were going to be made the next day. The police officer would be very lucky if he still had a job. The informant would probably be permanently on the police station blacklist, which is never a good idea.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

TeamBhakta

« Reply #3572 on: May 13, 2013, 11:07:15 AM »
A restaurant in Australia is selling an expensive version of a bacon and egg roll. I guess nobody told the head chef to play along with promoting it

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2013/05/12/Sydney-restaurant-offers-120-bacon-and-egg-sandwich/UPI-70861368401022/

Iris

« Reply #3573 on: May 13, 2013, 04:30:58 PM »
A restaurant in Australia is selling an expensive version of a bacon and egg roll. I guess nobody told the head chef to play along with promoting it

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2013/05/12/Sydney-restaurant-offers-120-bacon-and-egg-sandwich/UPI-70861368401022/

Or the head chef is realistic and knows that a bacon and egg roll from a beach cafe after walking your dog on the beach is truly the food of the gods and you can muck about with truffles and whatnot to your heart's content, but unless the $120 includes a beach and a dog then it's just never going to cut it. At last, a top chef who really understands food.  ;D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3574 on: May 13, 2013, 08:47:45 PM »
I'm hoping this turns into PD. I have a group of teachers who swear they will join me in filing complaints but I'm the only one who actually has filed one. (Texas - so no teacher unions they are illegal here)
[/size]* During the beginning of the year campus staff development  went off on the staff, screaming at us for 15 minutes because a teacher disagreed with something he had said and discussed this with a friend from a different campus at convocation. His this is our family and we don’t discuss our family with outsiders was very much like that of a man who abuses his family and punishes the whole for 1 reaching out for help.
[/size]* He makes fun of the anti-bullying campaign
[/size]* He coddles bullies, talks about he was just the same as a child. Personally having a principal say he was just like a boy that forced a girl up against a wall while touching her and making inappropriate remarks does not fill me with confidence.
[/size]* Victims of bullies report to teachers they are yelled at and asked what they did to the bully to provoke them. While the bully smirks and plays on the Ipad or is given toys to take back to class.
[/size]* Teachers have been yelled at for talking to the parents of victims of bullies/assaults on campus
[/size]*did not apologize to staff for inappropriate emails advocating his religious views. He should have been required to apologize at a staff meeting with administration officials presents. District officials should have apologized for not stopping after the first e-mail. (See below)
[/size]* The large number of staff members aware of the complaint to FFRF and the district’s response were disgusted by the obvious lie that the District administration was unaware of what he was doing. We find it hard to believe that he sent these sermons out once a week for two school years, with administration members on the distribution list and not one was ever read by someone at the district level.
[/size]*deliberately giving false information – like telling teachers that district policy required they unfriend their own children, if those children were students of LCISD. Then going off for 10 – 15 minutes about how we are all stupid for being on Facebook.
[/size]* saying he wanted to get rid of all waivers so he could make sure the right people left in a RIF
[/size]*AP going on about how we could trust her because she was a True Christian™ implying anyone with beliefs other than hers are untrustworthy (It was in the Tone)  Along with the statement we are all Christians here - no there is one Jewish teacher, several non-religious/athiests and the fact there isn't more diversity is a sign there is a problem.
[/size]*Many new hires are ministers in small non-denominational Christian churches - a fact that is constantly brought up to show they are good teachers.  (He introduces teachers like this -- This is (Teacher Name) he is Music leader at (church), he also leads 3 scripture study groups at (church). Most principals say this Teacher he teachers grade 3 and is great with computers)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3575 on: May 13, 2013, 09:32:08 PM »
Unions illegal?!? How is that even possible? If that happened here the teachers would be out on the street.

ladymaureen

« Reply #3576 on: May 13, 2013, 09:40:53 PM »
I revised this to say I'm not sure, but I think that the Texas State Teachers Association is a union. I could be wrong though.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #3577 on: May 13, 2013, 09:42:17 PM »
Unions illegal?!? How is that even possible? If that happened here the teachers would be out on the street.

Here too  - but I guess it's illegal to strike if you are a teacher in Texas.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3578 on: May 13, 2013, 09:51:16 PM »
There would be serious civil unrest if anyone here tired to ban unions or striking. Australia was founded on unions, more or less. I disagree with their tactics at times, but I do believe everyone has the right to form a union.

Sorry to take this OT, I was just shocked.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3579 on: May 13, 2013, 09:51:35 PM »
Wow, that guy sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #3580 on: May 14, 2013, 02:54:27 AM »
Oy vey. kherbert, I'm with you on hoping that becomes PD in a hurry!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #3581 on: May 14, 2013, 03:07:45 AM »
I have a final update! As of today, New Coworker is now Ex-Coworker. She was being given another chance; Supervisor took her aside for the Serious Conversation and told her that she had one week to start following instructions and doing things the way she was told to, then her three months of probation would start over IF she was following orders. If not, she was out. Ex-Coworker preferred to quit on the spot.

Highlights of her attempted counter-arguments and the tantrum/rant she went into back in the workroom included such gems as:
"I've been doing this MY way for thirty years!" - and you were hired to do it OUR way.
"Don't call me lazy!" - YOU kept saying you were too lazy to do things the right way, and Supervisor didn't call you lazy; she told you it wasn't an acceptable excuse.
"I don't like being spied on!" - what, you mean when you were putting a job together inside-out and Nice Coworker noticed, luckily before it was irrevocably ruined?
"She should have told me it was wrong, not gone to you!" - so you could fix it without Supervisor knowing you'd stuffed up? Mmm-hmm. It's not Nice Coworker's job to cover up for you.

Sooooo she declared she was leaving, got asked if she was sure, confirmed it... then stomped out to the workroom, ranted (including calling our lovely polite Supervisor a Female Dog), and sat around fuming for a while. Current theory is that she was hoping Owner would appear and beg her to stay. Didn't happen. ::)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

TeamBhakta

« Reply #3582 on: May 14, 2013, 10:41:46 AM »
I have a final update! As of today, New Coworker is now Ex-Coworker. She was being given another chance; Supervisor took her aside for the Serious Conversation and told her that she had one week to start following instructions and doing things the way she was told to, then her three months of probation would start over IF she was following orders. If not, she was out. Ex-Coworker preferred to quit on the spot.

Highlights of her attempted counter-arguments and the tantrum/rant she went into back in the workroom included such gems as:
"I've been doing this MY way for thirty years!" - and you were hired to do it OUR way.
"Don't call me lazy!" - YOU kept saying you were too lazy to do things the right way, and Supervisor didn't call you lazy; she told you it wasn't an acceptable excuse.
"I don't like being spied on!" - what, you mean when you were putting a job together inside-out and Nice Coworker noticed, luckily before it was irrevocably ruined?
"She should have told me it was wrong, not gone to you!" - so you could fix it without Supervisor knowing you'd stuffed up? Mmm-hmm. It's not Nice Coworker's job to cover up for you.

Sooooo she declared she was leaving, got asked if she was sure, confirmed it... then stomped out to the workroom, ranted (including calling our lovely polite Supervisor a Female Dog), and sat around fuming for a while. Current theory is that she was hoping Owner would appear and beg her to stay. Didn't happen. ::)

Your co-worker's double used to work in fast food with me. "I will make tea the way I want, I'm 50+ years old and I don't have to make it the way the restaurant requires. I don't have to follow the other rules, either. I KNOW what I'm doing and Mrs Boss can't tell me what to do. I don't need this little orientation and please don't show me around the store. I will figure things out myself and do them MY way." You can guess how long that one lasted with us ::)

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #3583 on: May 14, 2013, 04:59:46 PM »
Your co-worker's double used to work in fast food with me. "I will make tea the way I want, I'm 50+ years old and I don't have to make it the way the restaurant requires. I don't have to follow the other rules, either. I KNOW what I'm doing and Mrs Boss can't tell me what to do. I don't need this little orientation and please don't show me around the store. I will figure things out myself and do them MY way." You can guess how long that one lasted with us ::)

*snicker* Probably less time than my Ex-Coworker lasted. ;)

The owner asked her right out when he hired her if she had a problem taking direction from Supervisor and she said "Oh that's fine, no problem"... :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3584 on: May 14, 2013, 05:17:36 PM »
Great student darwinism story courtesy of my brother, who teaches high school science  :)  Long story short, students had around six weeks to do a major science project of their own choosing (with some general guidelines).  One student selected a project which would involve growing plants in various conditions and recording how the conditions changed the growth.

1) She came to my brother three days before the project was due (so 5.5 weeks into it) asking his advice on how she should set up the plants to make them grow best.  Um, shouldn't you have done that more than a month ago?

2) She turned in a paper claiming that she had, indeed, done this project - presumably including time-traveling a month into the past to set up the plant-growing part - and her results came out in an absolutely perfect graph.

3) This perfect graph incidentally came straight from the Wikipedia page on her topic, as did a large portion of the text.

4) When she was called in for a meeting with my brother and the principal, she tried to backpedal: "Oh, THAT part was from the internet, but the pictures were all mine!"

5) Except they weren't, and my brother had the Google-Fu to prove it with a quick search of Google images.  "Oh, well those were from the internet too, but that was only because I couldn't get the plants to grow enough in three days to get a result!" :headdesk:

I asked my brother if she got a zero, but she actually got a 16 - the in-class presentation was worth 20 points, and she DID do that part, so she got the 16/20 for presenting.  Which made it a 16 out of 100 for the whole project.  Incidentally, she's been caught plagiarizing in other classes as well, so there's a good chance she won't be at this particular (private) school next year.